Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    i was having problems with the drag & drop install. make sure you're dragging it to palm-install.bat and not the palm-package.bat. problem solved.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLApre View Post
    i was having problems with the drag & drop install. make sure you're dragging it to palm-install.bat and not the palm-package.bat. problem solved.
    Yes, I'm definitely dragging it onto the right file. Is there some other step I am missing? Does the phone need to be in USB mode (this is how I have it)? Does the emulator need to be running? Anything else I might have missed?
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    i'm pretty sure the emulator was running when i installed
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLApre View Post
    i'm pretty sure the emulator was running when i installed
    OK, so...

1) use konami code to put Pre in dev mode
    2) reset Pre
    3) Run emulator on PC
    4) Connect Pre to PC in USB mode
    5) Drag .ipk file onto Program Files>Palm>SDK>bin>palm-install.bat on the PC

Nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?
    Perfect idea for a program, Now i can send txts to everyone i know in other languages to freak them out.
    NM

Got it to work. Awesome
    Last edited by Onslaught; 06/29/2009 at 09:43 PM.
    you can't have the emulator running. With the emulator running palm-install.bat will install the package onto the emulator. do everything you did before, but make sure the emulator isn't running.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Arabic ain't working. Neither is Hebrew. Can we get some semitic love?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkharlequin View Post
    you can't have the emulator running. With the emulator running palm-install.bat will install the package onto the emulator. do everything you did before, but make sure the emulator isn't running.
    OK, sounds good. Thanks. I will report back if it works (or doesn't).
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
    OK, sounds good. Thanks. I will report back if it works (or doesn't).
    Still not getting anything... just a quick cmd prompt pop up box then nothing.

*edit* Should the app be showing on the program list after this, or are there additional steps I need to take on the device?
    Last edited by Drybonz; 06/29/2009 at 10:09 PM.
  11.    #151  
    @YafaKlan: The Pre's default font apparantly cannot display arabic or hebrew characters. I shall remove the languages with non supported characters from the list in the next update.
    @Drybonz: instead of dragging and dropping the ipk onto the palm-install, try invoking palm-install from the command line, you might at least get a useful error message.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roar View Post
    @Drybonz: instead of dragging and dropping the ipk onto the palm-install, try invoking palm-install from the command line, you might at least get a useful error message.
    OK, will do.

*edit* It copies the file and then reads "palm-install: file open failed"
    thanks hope another useful apps comes out before they force the update on me
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    OK, so...

1) use konami code to put Pre in dev mode
    2) reset Pre
    3) Run emulator on PC
    4) Connect Pre to PC in USB mode
    5) Drag .ipk file onto Program Files>Palm>SDK>bin>palm-install.bat on the PC

Nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?
    What I was doing wrong was step 3 and 4. Don't run the emulator while doing this... also, most important, the device needed to be in "just charge" mode when connected to the PC and not "USB" mode.

Once I changed it to "just charge" mode, the app installed no problems.

I can confirm (as mentioned earlier in the thread) that anyone who has already updated to WebOS 1.04 can still install these apps, without rooting, using this method.

As for the translator app... it is great! Well done, I think it will be very useful.
    What I was doing wrong was step 3 and 4. Don't run the emulator while doing this... also, most important, the device needed to be in "just charge" mode when connected to the PC and not "USB" mode.

Once I changed it to "just charge" mode, the app installed no problems.

I can confirm (as mentioned earlier in the thread) that anyone who has already updated to WebOS 1.04 can still install these apps, without rooting, using this method.

As for the translator app... it is great! Well done, I think it will be very useful.
    Yes. And also, for anybody that wants to know, it's very easy to install these programs using Command Prompt (on Windows and as an Administrator).

Simply go to the folder where the package file (.ipk) is, and then all you have to type is "palm-install -d usb [package.file.ipk]" to install to your (already connected) Pre or "palm-install -d tcp [package.file.ipk]" to install to the (already running) emulator.

If you're unsure of any command, just do "palm-install" and it gives you some basic help. Same with "palm-package" and whatnot (for those packaging their own apps).

But anyway, so this way you can choose which device (emulator or connected Pre) to install it to. Let me know if anybody has an questions or problems with doing this.
    For those that are rooted and do not already know... you can install this app by copying it to your pre (i.e. sftp) then running the following through ssh or novacom:

ipkg-opt install de.umass.translate_1.0.1_all.ipk

Run 'ipkg-opt list_installed' to confirm it is indeed installed. Reboot your pre and viola, it's in your launcher ready to translate!

NOTE: This method does not allow the app to be removed through the launcher (Orange key+tap app). You must run the following through ssh or novacom:

ipkg-opt remove de.umass.translate

Thanks very much Janni for this app!! BTW, can you fix your source code link on your website? I'm very interested in how you did this!
    Last edited by ldbobby; 06/30/2009 at 04:55 AM.
  17.    #157  
    whoops, link is fixed, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by roar View Post
    ps: u-mass is actually because of the pixies song by the same name
    Oh. Well, go UMASS! anyway.
    Roar,

Wonderful app. We are finding though that on the second or third time you ask it to translate a phrase, the wheel just spins and spins showing it is working but it never comes back. You have to exit the app and start it again and then there is no problem.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Also, since we are down to the final hours, is there any way you could have a CLEAR button? That way the source and destinations could be cleared at one time to let you do your next one.

Finally, could you have a COPY button to allow the export text to be copied easily? That way you can just switch to email, IM, or whatever and paste the text.

Would anyone else like these features?

Again thank you.
    I wished I would have installed this app before the 1.0.4 update. The recent update definitely appears to have worked. Is there another way to install this app?
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast