webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > My Notification
My Notification

Old 06/25/2009, 02:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Version 0.2.0 Released 8/5/09
This update is the first in the steps to make the program ready for submission to the Official App Catalog. As such, it removes the "Advanced" option to set your messaging application sounds. Also, this version uses a new appID and will NOT overwrite the previous version which must be deleted with [orange]+Tap on the App Icon. If you would like to keep the option to change the messaging sound after installing the linux-access required patch, then keep the old version. New Icon created by Remix2000.

Updated to version 0.1.3 on 6/30/09
New Advanced Options, Wall Paper Selection, Credits Page, and other text corrections

This application is the work of the many people who have spent time in #webos-internals (irc.freenode.org) and who have been updating pre dev wiki: Welcome to the Pre/webOS Development Wiki.

The application does the simple task of changing the sounds for notifications, calendar alerts and your ringtone. Additional functionality will be added as discovered. The complete source code is available at the #webos-internals gitorious site and we will work to update information on the wiki as well.

Be Advised. When the notification is triggered, it will play the entire sound and you can not stop it short. If you pick a 20 minute Phish & DMB Jam Session for your notification sound it will play all of it! Pick something short sweet and to the point. I've included my favorite sounds below.

The Notification Sound is played for all events such as new email, sms, charger connect, etc. The Alert sound is played for Calendar Events.

My Favorite Sounds:
Right click and save as, then connect your Pre via USB Mode and Copy the files to the Ringtone Folder
Reviews:
xberserker - www.slyspyder.com

This app will always be freely available and submitted to the app catalog when availble. The app in it's entirety is not available for distribution without consent.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. After I select my sound, nothing happens.
A. After you select your desired tone, use the back gesture to return.

Q. Is it possible to have custom LED Notifications?
A. Not at this time. Once an event is trigged by another application, there is no way to subscribe to that event and take further action (ie actiate the LEDs, or Repeat the Notification).

Q. Can there be seperate sounds for SMS/Email/Charger?
A. Not without editing those other applications. There is a patch available for the messaging application, however this thread is not the place to ask for assistance with that patch.

Q. My volume settings don't seem right, what happened?
A. This application does nothing to change volume settings, more then likely some other thing happend, check the volume settings in the Sounds and Alerts App and in the Messaging Application.

Q. When the notification sound is played it keeps going and I can't stop it. Why doens't the sound stop?
A. The sound is played until it ends. If you pick a long song, be prepared to listen to all of it everytime the sound is triggered. It's a Palm thing and I can't change it. Just use a shorter sound.

Q. Where can I get awesome Ringtones?
A. There are many awesome ringtone websites out there, check out Tonzr the developer of that site is a Palm Pre User as well. Also check out this thread, with links to millions of ringtones and how to make your own.

Q. How do I reset back to the defaults?
A. Click the menu in the top left corner and click Reset Defaults

Q. How do I uninstall My Notifications?
A. In the Launcher, press and hold the orange button and tap the My Notifications icon in the Launcher. Tap Delete.

Q. The notification sound keeps going and I can't stop it.
A. The sound is played every time until it ends.Here is how to easily edit your sounds. 10 seconds is good for a notification and 30 seconds is good for a ringtone.

Q. Where is the download link for the newest version?
A. It's in the new Homebrew Gallery: My Notifications.

Download the latest version from the Homebrew Apps Gallery: My Notification

Below you will find the OLD 0.1.3 version. This version has the option to change the messaging sound after a linux-access required patch has been installed to the messaging application.

Last edited by Kaerey; 08/27/2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: add link to homebrew
Kaerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by -Drifter-, ABBlockhead, acculver, Achill3s, Agent146, andddlay, andrewkc69, AParamedic, areyes163, Arodmx, Babywayne, Bales, Bamya, BatFastard, bbkat, bdhu2001, bdubbx, bigredgpk, blcoolman, bliip1234, bo4uofm, borsend, boxboy, braceyourself07, bretov, BrewCity, Brewzer, briggsie, bry4n, Captain Awesome, carnesm, cdawg62184, cderekg72, chaspalm, chilli pre, chitachi, chrissurra, chuccck, ChukLz, chux72vette, cl191, cmucooper, colona, Colonel Kernel, coolihigh, CooLOnE, crackerstyle, craftsman, culaslucas, czarphanguye, dajlol77, Darknight, Darth Pooh, DarthRepublican, datbabygirl, dBsooner, DD007, deadpanwalking, Deck82, Dhyneland, Dic Doc, Disgustoid, DJFireman, DNic, doctorx, donald.aleshire, Double, DragonFire, drewlanger, dsmcyd1, dsrtdog, earthychic, Eguy, emajy, emeraldayotte, enormous, FinaTk, FLY_N_NE_WEATHR, foamcoretrash, fordaaronj, Formeriphoneuser, g33kgirl, Gaurav, geogray, gerleeober6, gigaorg, gjlowe, Glod, gopgrrl, GreenHex, Grubish, gshocker, HarryOh, HeartofaKing, hnharrison24, hofs1, hparsons, ImNoPrince, imthatguy704, imtravis, inodaspot, Intlstyle, JackG058, jamesonrw, janrif, jays_pre, JC Strat, Jeneva4U, JennRN, jescandalo, JimmieGeddes, Jimmy_D, Jordus, joshaccount, jp22382, jp700p, jp89hornet, jsimon9633, Jupiter600, justkeptfading, jwdv22, k-wow, k8e, KalliKatMom, kalnedrilith, kambroso, kandle, Kedar, Keegsta, kenobi, keoommen, khornet93, kjb, kmfast, knocternal, Krayze, laffen13, leez, leftyman, Lill21093, Lito305, Lostman, maddball, Major.Malfunction, mandyd78, maxdrive10, Mazinger Z, Mhunterjr, miccheck1212, Mikecp421, Milominderbinder, MLJones8, mondul, moodtrip, morrison0880, motox502, musiccity, Mustang46L, nc72922, neandrothal, nerp, NetWhiz, nijelly1006, njeske, novatel, NxTech3, ofreezy, ogul1984, omes000, OrchardKeeper, palmdoc2005, palp1138, Pardoe, patchs, paulgallaher, peachness, petbull, pikebygod, pinkmonst3r, pogeypre, PreFix, Punchanello, qdigga, raeb, ragazzopigro, Ramega, RB26, redtxstar, remmysmom, Riebs, robbskittles, rog47776, roofer2, rotorrocket, rudeboy360, rusty7, rxs2k, ryleyinstl, sburlbaw, scrupul0us, seoulvixen, Seraphemz, serqet, Shane112358, Sharkims, shoolace, SHO_ONE, sir_mycroft, SlapVanVoila, smack, snafu168, SOLARTACO3, solarus, Sossa, Spazo, spcs700wx, Spunks3, stingrayleo, storerc, suavesito, sushi, svx, sward78, TaJuanM, tangokim, tasdad, Tavisjohn, temperamentalman, tgo123, The Mighty BK, thebluetooth, Tibfib, TMed_ATL, Tony Laubach, tonyv69, trapharder4844, TreoRock, tricex2, Trident, truballa04, turb0rexx, TwizteD25, twotone, tyromes, ucsbleo, urabcsr, Vandyfc, Veritas06, Visualfx, webfellow, wheatstraw, woodywho219, wrek416, xberserker, xopher, xorg, xTKxhom3r, Yaboi72, YafaKlan, zipzap62
Old 06/25/2009, 02:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Does the app uninstall cleanly?
Old 06/25/2009, 02:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
Does the app uninstall cleanly?
as cleanly as any other.
Old 06/25/2009, 03:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Works great thanks for the app keep it up
Old 06/25/2009, 05:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

I LOVE YOU GUYS... I have never joined any kind of forum i have only done this for the Pre and so far all you guys are grate thank you a lot to all the people who were involved with this app....
gitit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 06:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

works awsome!
briggsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 06:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

My hope for the future will be the ability to make the tone stop before it gets to the end, but great job none-the-less.
f1nzup#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Does this program erase/remove the default tones? So if/when I want to revert back to them they would be there.
ryleyinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 08:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

thanks very much
YafaKlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
Does this program erase/remove the default tones? So if/when I want to revert back to them they would be there.
I'm wondering this as well. The other ringtone app has the option to revert to defaults.

Personally I like yours more. But want to be able to default back to the original if need be.
Old 06/25/2009, 08:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xberserker View Post
Personally I like yours more. But want to be able to default back to the original if need be.
Same here. However the biggest reason I would rather use this program is because I don't really want to look at PIMP every time I use my phone. I'm certainly not 15 anymore and stuff like that just doesn't fly in the work world.

One of the things that attracted me to the Pre was that Palm always had more of a business focus. A touch more professional level and this carried out into the applications. The iPhone, while a wonderful device, seems to be all about the fart apps, games and other media. I don't need an amusment park in my pocket I need a busniess tool.
Old 06/25/2009, 08:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Same here. However the biggest reason I would rather use this program is because I don't really want to look at PIMP every time I use my phone. I'm certainly not 15 anymore and stuff like that just doesn't fly in the work world.

One of the things that attracted me to the Pre was that Palm always had more of a business focus. A touch more professional level and this carried out into the applications. The iPhone, while a wonderful device, seems to be all about the fart apps, games and other media. I don't need an amusment park in my pocket I need a busniess tool.
well said my friend
lldsandsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 08:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

btw, i would love to be able to separate my email sound from my text sound if possible in a future update. thank you again for this wonderful app.
lldsandsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 08:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for the app. It works great.
eddiemandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 08:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldsandsll View Post
btw, i would love to be able to separate my email sound from my text sound if possible in a future update. thank you again for this wonderful app.
I think this would be the Holy Grail of Sound management currently (Being able to specify specific sounds for specific events...)
SirWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 08:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

All said and done, even limited for now as it is, I find this ABSOLUTELY amazing that we now have 2 apps for this--done completely without the SDK, support from Palm or any of that nature. This is already proving to be quite the device to program for, and I think that once the SDK is out, and people realize the wonders of sideloaded apps (versus through the app store) that this phone will start to dig into the iPhone's market share.

Thanks for the work you did on this app, and I look forward to future editions!
Old 06/25/2009, 09:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xberserker View Post
I'm wondering this as well. The other ringtone app has the option to revert to defaults.

That's why I've included links to download them. The files aren't deleted, they are just stored in a location that the file browser can't see. If you download the originals above, and place in your ringtones you can always go back. This way you can go back to the default of one sound, but not the other if you don't want. However, I'll make a restore defaults option in either the edit/help menu or on the bottom of the screen for the next version.
Old 06/25/2009, 09:10 AM   #18 (permalink)

Excellent work, thank you! Now I can add my Tribble sound as a notification - I've found that it's low enough in tone that most people do not notice it, but when you know what it is, you hear it!

dvdmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 09:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
The files aren't deleted, they are just stored in a location that the file browser can't see.
So if/when I was to uninstall this app everything would go back to normal?

Perfect! ......installing
Old 06/25/2009, 09:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
So if/when I was to uninstall this app everything would go back to normal?

Perfect! ......installing
If you [orange]+tap to delete the app, your sounds will be left at what ever the last settings were. I'll get to work on the restore defaults button. But just download the original sounds from the first post if you want them.

Again Alert is for Calendar Events, Notification is everything else.

of course none of these apps will be needed once Palm does this natively for all sounds. I found some fun smorsels when exploring the code it looks like they have it setup but not active for a different notification sound when the device is charging compared to when it is not. As well as not only seperate sounds for email or sms but seperate sounds for each email ACCOUNT. But right now everything is hard coded to the one Notification sound and we can only change that, unless you want to do some major editing of palm applications.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0