Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
  1.    #61  
    Summary of the meeting of November 19th at 1800 GMT / UTC.

**PLEASE NOTE: NOTHING HERE SHOULD BE TAKEN AS A PROMISE AND NO TIME LINES WILL BE MADE PUBLIC. ANY PROGRESS WILL BE HELPED IF MORE PEOPLE OFFER ASSISTANCE.**
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Attendees & Introductions of new attendees.
      There were 3 attendees. The meeting was chaired by Preemptive.
    2. Any proposed updates to the aims or rules of the group
      No updates were proposed.
    3. Possible selection of officers or area contacts.
      Not discussed.
    4. Progress reports
      1. New browser for TP only. (nizovn)
        No update.
      2. Legacy browser patch. (Misj, Shuswap)
        No update.
      3. Updated meta-doctors. (Herrie, bbito)
        See 5b.
      4. Updated location service. (Misj, mazzinia)
        No update.
      5. Fix the webos internals patch feed or manage it manually. (novaldex, Preemptive).
        No update.
      6. webOS Nation App gallery submission and access. (Preemptive)
        The options here are either to wait for the Mobile nations admins to fix it, or possibly ask people such as Dieter Bohn & Derek Kessler to intercede or even make the fix for us.
      7. Preservation / Restoration of sources of documentation (including original Palm documents, Open WebOS & 3rd party sources such as webOS101).
        1. Use the webOS internals wiki for technical information. (novaldex, Preemptive, bbito & Shuswap).
          Preemptive proposed renaming this item as the wiki mechanism is basically fixed. This is now about adding & updating information to the wiki. It now comes under the general documentation project. bbito has added some items. It was suggested that information about clearing the /var partition be added based on a post by George Mari.
        2. Find / improve documentation of mojo / enyo. (Misj)
          No update.
        3. git.webos-internals.org
          As this issue is pretty much resolved, it probably needs to move to a next stage or be considered completed.
        4. On device Help System.
          The original documents exist and were on palm.si Possibly those parts could be used to make web pages, possibly a simple app could be used to display all the sites covered under item 4g.
        5. Old domains associated with webOS.
          No update.
      8. Lobbying TCL for an open Palm device.
        Preemptive reported no progress and will make another attempt at contact.
    5. Discussion of other items
      1. Krack Hack
        No update.
      2. webOS time service issue (Network Time not keeping clocks accurate)
        Herrie reported a patch he has tested which working OK with the patched binary for the Timeserver. This could be added to Preware and included in the service pack meta doctor. First it needs to be tested more widely. A testing programme will be started on the forums.
      3. Device back up options.
        Some proposed solutions have been made. They may be sufficient to enable a 'Hotsync' style back up to a user's local machine. Probably the best thing to do is to canvas a few more suggestions and test, moving from manual back up to triggered sync of certain files. If we can get all the items that were previously backed up in a form where they can be restored, then that might be enough.
      4. App stores discussion.
        No further discussion.
      5. Default apps: Can we patch the system to give us more default options? (e.g. Qupzilla, LuneTube)
        Not discussed.
    6. Any other business.
      Is there any value in investigating hardware upgrades to legacy devices?
    7. Date of next meeting.
      17th December 2017 at 1700GMT.

The full log of the fifth meeting is here: #webos log: SUN Nov 19.

A LIST OF USER GROUP PROJECTS
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/20/2017 at 08:52 AM.
    There was a meeting?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  3.    #63  
    Just the promised rerun. It was basically just me, but NIN_ru showed up & Herrie had something on the time service.
  4.    #64  
    Proposed agenda for Meeting No. 6 of The webOS User Group, on December 17th at 1700 GMT / UTC.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* (4.7) Where sub-projects are complete or can be considered to be in 'maintenance mode' I will attempt to roll them into the oversight project to shorten the agenda.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/21/2017 at 08:06 AM.
    Really sorry, last week I ended up being out & not back in time for the original meeting, plus this weekend i've been away & couldn't make the re-run!

Not that I have many updates unfortunately.. It's been rather busy elsewhere

I went to read the log, but now that the day has ticked over it seems to be empty again.. Does anyone have the link to the permanent dated version?

Thanks..
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaldex View Post
    I went to read the log, but now that the day has ticked over it seems to be empty again.. Does anyone have the link to the permanent dated version?

Thanks..
    It's actually at the end of the summary. I've altered the layout a bit so it's more prominent and removed the 'current' link from the top.
    http://logs.nslu2-linux.org/livelogs...s.20171120.txt It's only really me talking to myself, but hopefully it sets us up for next month. It actually took me an hour! Hopefully we can reduce the number of items.

Note: My inability to read my own agenda. The comments under 4e actually relate to 4g.1. I adjusted this in the summary.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/21/2017 at 07:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    It's actually at the end of the summary. I've altered to layout a bit so it's more prominent and removed the 'current' link from the top.
    http://logs.nslu2-linux.org/livelogs...s.20171120.txt It's only really me talking to myself, but hopefully it sets us up for next month. It actually took me an hour! Hopefully we can reduce the number of items.

Note: My inability to read my own agenda. The comments under 4e actually relate to 4g.1. I adjusted this in the summary.
    Many thanks, that was much easier to read. & I'm glad to see Herrie rescued you from any empty room too..

re:
    4e - for me this is still a work in progress, been rather short on time recently
    4g.1 - I agree, basically fixed & now we need content
    5b - my Pre3 is now WiFi only (currently, should my 'droid device continue to enrage me it shall be flying out the window) & does run into issues with clock sync (as no network to pull from). I am now using ClockSync to keep it roughly in time, but a more permanent fix would be appreciated. I like the idea of adding it to the Doctor, but really i'd like to have some kind of standalone package/patch I can deploy as well as i'd hate to doctor my device just to fix the clock
    5c - i'd like an rsync style option personally, I know it'd require my own 'something' on a local network, but then I'll feel more comfortable with my data. There could also be various cloud sync options, but then I think i'd be more likely to be interested in a single archive being stored there
    6 - separately i've got a conversation going with Garfonso (Garfonso, sorry, I need to get back to you with more information), regarding C+Dav on both LuneOS & my Pre3 as i'm having bad sync issues. This is more for reference rather than anything else, genuinely it may just be me/my devices
    Many thanks, that was much easier to read. & I'm glad to see Herrie rescued you from any empty room too..

re:
    4e - for me this is still a work in progress, been rather short on time recently
    4g.1 - I agree, basically fixed & now we need content
    5b - my Pre3 is now WiFi only (currently, should my 'droid device continue to enrage me it shall be flying out the window) & does run into issues with clock sync (as no network to pull from). I am now using ClockSync to keep it roughly in time, but a more permanent fix would be appreciated. I like the idea of adding it to the Doctor, but really i'd like to have some kind of standalone package/patch I can deploy as well as i'd hate to doctor my device just to fix the clock
    5c - i'd like an rsync style option personally, I know it'd require my own 'something' on a local network, but then I'll feel more comfortable with my data. There could also be various cloud sync options, but then I think i'd be more likely to be interested in a single archive being stored there
    6 - separately i've got a conversation going with Garfonso (Garfonso, sorry, I need to get back to you with more information), regarding C+Dav on both LuneOS & my Pre3 as i'm having bad sync issues. This is more for reference rather than anything else, genuinely it may just be me/my devices
    On 4e we can now technically manually merge patches. So it's a matter of sending them to the correct repo's I guess.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Regarding:

5e: There is this: MimeTypes - WebOS Internals However, for apps that aren't JavaScript based, getting launch parameters to them might require more work. I believe Navit-Maps implemented a method for supporting this sort of thing for Navit (trying to find the source code repo that Herrie did as a backup to git.webos-internals.org).

5f: Like this? 2GB RAM upgrade for TouchPad attempt
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  10.    #70  
    5c: I think some use OwnCloud, but I don't recall seeing details. I think rSync is a possibility already mentioned. I have used MS Sync toy in the past with WiFi File Sharing, but this is after performing manual backups on device.
    6: I also have issues with C+DAV. TP syncs slowly & Pre3 not at all, but this may be me also (it has been fine in the past). I've not done much to try to fix it.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/21/2017 at 05:43 AM.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    5e: There is this: MimeTypes - WebOS Internals However, for apps that aren't JavaScript based, getting launch parameters to them might require more work. I believe Navit-Maps implemented a method for supporting this sort of thing for Navit (trying to find the source code repo that Herrie did as a backup to git.webos-internals.org).
    The main intention is to 'unlock' all the default app menu from Device Info (as some items are already unlocked). I'm not sure if you are referencing code for that or if it's another launching mechanism, but it's a useful reference, so I'll link to your post.
    Yes. Also the recent discussion of a daughter board RAM increase for the Pre3. Except for the modem switch on the TP, I'm not aware of any successful H/W upgrade projects yet, so it's a very niche discussion point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    The main intention is to 'unlock' all the default app menu from Device Info (as some items are already unlocked). I'm not sure if you are referencing code for that or if it's another launching mechanism, but it's a useful reference, so I'll link to your post.
    I don't know if any of them a truly locked or not. Installing a second app that registers as a handler for an object type unlocks that entry.
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I don't know if any of them a truly locked or not. Installing a second app that registers as a handler for an object type unlocks that entry.
    Hmmm...

I have Smart Office on my phone, but it's not possible to choose it over Quick Office. It's a very good app - I suspect the makers would have made it an option if possible. Maybe Qupzilla is still a WIP: I cannot choose it as the default TP browser.

That said, Internalz Pro is an option for a number of file types. So has Mr Robitaille coded it to properly register with the system or is it because it's added those types to the list itself? The other options to Internalz seem to be Quick Office or Preware.

If you are correct, then there isn't really a problem. But in practice, there are apps installed that cannot be selected as the default, so they are either not telling the system what file-types they handle (or app types they are) or there is an issue with the system.

I guess the test is alternatives to the core apps. Is anyone seeing alternate media players (if installed) in the default apps list? Any other alternate browsers? Office software? PDF readers? (Smart Office is better than PDF view, but again, not an option).
    Some apps register for defaults, but not many. The app developer has to implement it (like how I mention). Some apps, however, like Smart Office will have a harder time since they are PDK apps.
    Did you know:

Preemptive likes this.
  15.    #75  
    Hey thanks guys! That's really clarified things for me, but I'll check:
    • So alternate default apps can be selected if those apps have registered the MIME types they handle - the system does it automatically.
    • It's also possible to set parameters that cause certain weblinks to lauch a particular app.
    • Many apps don't do this.
    • The easiest way for a javascript app to do this is in the appinfo.json
    • Other types of app may need to register using different methods.

So maybe we could simply point devs at dkirker's webOS Internals page and encourage them to do this. Perhaps we could add details of other registering methods.

If I got the above right, I have three more questions:
    1. There's no mention of Enyo apps on the wiki page, but I take it the mojo appinfo.json method applies.
    2. Is it possible to patch existing apps so they become options? (I think even I could maybe follow the examples to alter an appinfo.json)
    3. Does all this also apply to LuneOS?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/23/2017 at 09:48 PM.
    Sorry, but it looks as though i'm not going to be able to make it this coming Sunday. Christmas events getting in the way already!

Very little to update on what i've done recently, mostly as what i've done recently is very little i'm afraid.. Some other work that needed to take priority just now. Hopefully means all will be better come the new year!

Merry Christmas all..
    Enyo apps use the same method. I don't recall if this has been implemented, or fully implemented, in LuneOS. I'd have to go take a look at the code to confirm, or Herrie might know. As for existing apps, I would think that they could be patched!
    Did you know:

Enyo apps use the same method. I don't recall if this has been implemented, or fully implemented, in LuneOS. I'd have to go take a look at the code to confirm, or Herrie might know. As for existing apps, I would think that they could be patched!
    This is provided by luna-sysmgr as you can see by https://github.com/openwebos/luna-sy...3&q=MIME&type=

We forked luna-sysmgr and split it up into luna-sysmgr, luna-sysmgr-common, luna-appmanager but left the MIME-bits pretty much untouched as they were from Open webOS in https://github.com/webOS-ports/luna-...MimeSystem.cpp
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    dkirker likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    This is provided by luna-sysmgr as you can see by https://github.com/openwebos/luna-sy...3&q=MIME&type=

We forked luna-sysmgr and split it up into luna-sysmgr, luna-sysmgr-common, luna-appmanager but left the MIME-bits pretty much untouched as they were from Open webOS in https://github.com/webOS-ports/luna-...MimeSystem.cpp
    Just what I thought! Thanks for the clarification!
    Did you know:

20.    #80  
    Perhaps a pivotCE article is in order (and notes in the Internals wiki). How to make your app available as a default option (and how to patch other apps for this).

Note: I don't have the knowledge to write it...
    Last edited by Preemptive; 12/14/2017 at 11:11 AM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast