Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
    About 5.6 , I think various of us did a "backup", each of us in a different way I assume, of the help file structure present on the hp servers.
    I for sure have the one I made. it's 2 separate archives.
    one is 314mb compressed, and has all the video helps (downloads.help.palm.com)
    one is 5mb compressed, and has all the devices help files for any supported locale (help.palm.com)
    Preemptive likes this.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Re: [5.6] Should we lobby TCL?
    I've sent an email to webOS Ports and the person I think is running Halium. If the developers aren't interested in the proposal, then there's no point in continuing, but if they like the idea we can then start drafting a text.
    webOS Ports are interested. No other responses as yet.
  3.    #43  
    Here is a bump as we are two weeks from the next meeting.

I'm inclined to combine the following agenda items into a single project.
    4e. Find / improve documentation of mojo / enyo
    4f. Updates to the webOS Internals wiki
    4i. Preservation / Restoration of sources of documentation (including original Palm documents, Open WebOS & 3rd party sources such as webOS101)
    5a. Is git.webos-internals.org material all present on github?
    5f. Are the on-device help system files available?
    (and possibly throw in 5e. Old domains associated with webOS.)
    As far as I'm aware, there are no significant technical issues remaining, so it becomes a matter of information management.
  4.    #44  
    5d. App stores discussion.
    As long as the existing app stores are working, I don't see much of a problem here. However, as the user group supports LuneOS (and will in all likelihood become a LuneOS user group one day), it is worth discussing possibilities, especially if circumstances require a new home for Legacy webOS apps.

I've previously taken the view that hosting and admin costs would require a fixed income (especially in respect of free apps). Therefore a small subscription would be paid (say annually) for user (or maybe per device) access to the apps store. App developers would pay a cut of sales. If it went well, there is even a possibility of QA testing of apps (Slim chance at the moment!).

Inspired by Halium, I had a thought: Could we join forces with other legacy OS users and other projects similar to LuneOS (Plasma, UBports etc.) to offer a common app store? Such a project would have to offer:
    • Accounts
    • Paid apps (i.e. shop systems)
    • Login from device if needed.
    • Web login if 'sideloading' is the only option.
    • Display of apps relevant to system, version & device only.
    • Ability to handle the various app files types (I assume this isn't an issue)
    • Support of various file transfer protocols.

A common app store would offer scale to offset hosting and admin charges. Cross-platform apps could be available to multiple systems from the same place. The complexity would be in supporting these multiple systems, but again taking a leaf from the Halium book, a core storage area, shop system and sorting of apps by relevance could be offered to the various development groups to bolt on their required interface. This last piece would be what enables the device / user to identify itself, browse the apps, pay for them and download.

Other systems may already have app stores, so it could be a matter of joining and modifying an existing project.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/02/2017 at 04:16 PM.
  5.    #45  
    I'm now busy on the 15th - afternoon & evening - so I won't be able to make the meeting.

If anyone is willing to chair Sunday's meeting, post here.

I can explain what I do - it's very simple.

Thanks.
    I don't mind postponing it for a week if that fits within everyone's schedule.

That being said, if no one else is willing to, I could (reluctantly) take the lead this time. Especially considering I haven't had time to do anything productive on webOS this last month (of course I still hope someone else will heed the call).
    Preemptive likes this.
    1 week postponement works for me, I think we're lost without Preemptive! This weekend was already dicey for me where I'd likely need to duck out early.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    MartinH@webos likes this.
  8.    #48  
    It's up to everyone else whether to go ahead or postpone. Or maybe have a short meeting. I haven't done much myself. Maybe others have made progress, maybe not.

It might be worth going ahead simply to avoid losing momentum and to focus on what needs to be done next. Scroll up to post 43 to see what I posted about documentation. I recently renewed weboscenter.com in case it could be useful (perhaps for app coding tutorials). Now the Internals wiki is fixed, we could decide what to update or add there to keep legacy devices running.

I'll PM Misj'. SEE BELOW.

I have something on next Sunday, but I don't think it will conflict if you decide to postpone.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/14/2017 at 07:47 PM.
  9.    #49  
    Argh! PMs don't work again! I'll just post here:

Hi Misj',

It's not difficult to Chair the meeting. I suggest you allow 90 minutes and guess how much of that time should be allocated to each agenda item. The latest agenda is post 39 of the meet up thread. People are warned to allow 1-2 hours depending on if there's not much to be said or if items overun. In the first case, if there's nothing to add, note if the item should be returned to on a later date and move on as this will gain time for anything that creates a lot of discussion.

I usually log in to IRC maybe 30mins or an hour before the start and make an occasional 'countdown' post for anyone who is early. I include a link to the agenda - the hope is that everyone reads the items on the forum ahead of time, so that meeting time is only spent discussing, not reading. Everything on the agenda that's a project is linked to it's own thread or discussed in the meeting thread.

I keep the agenda post open on my computer to copy & paste the item headings as we deal with them. I post the item and any associated link to start the discussion of each item. The first item is to ask new people to introduce themselves. There's no need for existing members to do that - you could state that their 'bio's are in the old logs. As projects (item 4) are discussed, it's best to invite the people named on the project to report on progress to start the discussion. For example, you can introduce your own work (4b, d, e). My thoughts / progress on h, i & j are in posts 44, 43 & 42 so you can just link to those (4.i has a thread, but there's not much there). Post 43 could be a way to shorten the agenda, but no one responded to the suggestion. Possibly combining various documentation projects could be done at the meeting.

Then I try to keep the conversation focused on the topic and within the allowed time, while making sure that discussion is full and reaches a conclusion (like an action plan or 'to do' item), but sometimes it may be best to agree to discuss on the forum or at the next meeting - this would usually be for new items that people raise (item 6). Sometimes I'll ask questions or otherwise prompt people to keep discussion going or focused. Have a look at the old logs if you want. The first meeting was a bit of a mess, but I think the second meeting went well.

If nothing much has happened, you might be done in an hour. If there are overuns, then it could go up to 2 hours, but people will start leaving, so try to keep below that.

If it goes well, you could make a summary post (e.g. post 37) and link to the full log, but I'm happy to do that if you want.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead!
    Misj' likes this.
  10.    #50  
    Summary of the meeting of October 15th at 1730 GMT / UTC.

**PLEASE NOTE: NOTHING HERE SHOULD BE TAKEN AS A PROMISE AND NO TIME LINES WILL BE MADE PUBLIC. ANY PROGRESS WILL BE HELPED BY MORE PEOPLE OFFERING TO HELP.**
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Attendees & Introductions of new attendees.
      There were 7 attendees. The meeting was chaired by Misj.
    2. Any proposed updates to the aims or rules of the group
      No updates were proposed.
    3. Possible selection of officers or area contacts.
      Not discussed.
    4. Progress reports
      1. New browser for TP only. (nizovn)
        By sideloading some additional files, it's possible to view Netflix and similar services in the LuneOS browser. It was asked if something similar might be possible with QupZilla. Nizovn stated that it might not be possible unless particular binaries could be located (armel, not hardfp).
      2. Legacy browser patch. (Misj, Shuswap)
        Not discussed.
      3. Updated meta-doctors. (Herrie, bbito)
        bbito has pushed a preparatory 'release' for meta-doctor update part 1 to get things rolling. The next step will be adding patches and app installations. The copyright issue of hosting HP proprietary code from the original doctors was discussed, but this is not a major concern unless the original files become completely unobtainable. The community are encouraged to continue posting suggestions for fixes and additions to the forum thread for this project. It is hoped to eventually have a flexible platform that would allow users to select their own additions.
      4. Updated location service. (Misj, mazzinia)
        Not discussed.
      5. Find / improve documentation of mojo / enyo. (Misj)
        Misj received some MOJO documentation from oil_ after the last meeting and put it up on Banneret (for now): http://www.banneret.nl/webos/documen...oAPI_refGuide/ . He will continue searching for old Enyo tutorials. Bbito recommended http://www.isgoodstuff.com/
      6. Fix & use the webOS internals wiki for technical information. (novaldex, Preemptive, bbito & Shuswap) > Progress Report.
        bbito has made some updates to the wiki, fixing stuff as time allows.
      7. Fix the webos internals patch feed or manage it manually. (novaldex, Preemptive) > Progress Report.
        Herrie has got access to the Webos Internals doctor & patches repo, which will be useful for the meta-doctor project with bbito. Novaldex and Herrie are investigating issues with the various sources for the patch portal and the code itself.
      8. webOS Nation App gallery submission and access. (Preemptive)
        Not discussed.
    5. Discussion of other items
      1. Preservation / Restoration of sources of documentation (including original Palm documents, Open WebOS & 3rd party sources such as webOS101).
        Not discussed.
      2. git.webos-internals.org has gone for a long time, so maybe some sources of preware apps are lost.. would be nice to recover it too (likely solution in post 15).
        There is very likely a back up or a gitorious mirror available. https://github.com/bbito/webos-inter...ious-bootstrap / https://gitorious.org/webos-internal...ons.git;a=tree These items can be pulled into the webOS Internals github space.
      3. webOS time service issue (Network Time not keeping clocks accurate)
        Not discussed.
      4. Device back up options.
        Not discussed.
      5. App stores discussion.
        The possibility of indexing the FTP source of old apps using old meta-data from the HP / Palm app catalog was discussed. JVLebbink1 offered to do this work. As many apps in this do not have specific permission from the creators (indeed in a few cases it was specifically refused), the question of copyright was again raised, but it was felt that indexing would not be a violation. There was brief general discussion of a 'proper' app catalog, but it was felt it was probably still too early to attempt this.
      6. Lobbing TCL for an open Palm device.
        Not discussed.
      7. Old domains associated with webOS.
        Not discussed.
      8. On device Help System.
        Not discussed.
      9. Default apps: Can we patch the system to give us more default options? (e.g. Qupzilla, LuneTube)
        Not discussed.
    6. Any other business.
      There was discussion of enyo-next. It's called enact based on react. webOS Ports was uncomfortable with Facebook's license which included patent protection on top of the standard OSS license. This has recently changed, but the decision to use Polymer has not as it is fully open-source. The use of web components seems in the spirit of webOS. Enact also lacks a mobile UI for now due the the TV focus of LGSVL. A drawback for legacy users is that webOS lacks the underlying technology to use web components. It's therefore unlikely that Polymer apps will run on legacy without major re-engineering of the OS.
    7. Date of next meeting.
      12th November 2017 at 1800GMT.

The full log of the third meeting is here: #webos log: SUN Oct 15.

A LIST OF USER GROUP PROJECTS
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/07/2017 at 02:29 PM.
    MartinH@webos and Misj' like this.
  11.    #51  
    It's my assumption that this is an issue for legacy webOS: https://www.imore.com/krack I don't know what would be required for a fix or if it's possible.

The issue has already been patched 'upstream' from LuneOS, so can be considered solved there.

Of course patching routers is also required, but that's beyond us, short of finding a list. Here's one to start: https://www.imore.com/these-are-rout...a2-wi-fi-flaws

UPDATE: Great minds once again think alike! It seems Alan Morford has started a thread on this, so it makes sense to link to it!
    Krack hack fix for webOS?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/18/2017 at 09:34 AM.
  12.    #52  
    Proposed agenda for November 12th at 1800 GMT / UTC.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Attendees & Introductions of new attendees.
    2. Any proposed updates to the aims or rules of the group
    3. Possible selection of officers or area contacts.
    4. Progress reports
      1. New browser for TP only. (nizovn)
      2. Legacy browser patch. (Misj, Shuswap)
      3. Updated meta-doctors. (Herrie, bbito)
      4. Updated location service. (Misj, mazzinia)
      5. Fix the webos internals patch feed or manage it manually. (novaldex, Preemptive) > Progress Report.
      6. webOS Nation App gallery submission and access. (Preemptive)
      7. Preservation / Restoration of sources of documentation (including original Palm documents, Open WebOS & 3rd party sources such as webOS101).
        1. Use the webOS internals wiki for technical information. (novaldex, Preemptive, bbito & Shuswap) > Progress Report.
        2. Find / improve documentation of mojo / enyo. (Misj)
        3. git.webos-internals.org has gone for a long time, so maybe some sources of preware apps are lost.. would be nice to recover it too (likely solution in post 15).
        4. On device Help System..
        5. Old domains associated with webOS.
      8. Lobbing TCL for an open Palm device.
    5. Discussion of other items
      1. Krack hack
      2. webOS time service issue (Network Time not keeping clocks accurate)
      3. Device back up options.
      4. App stores discussion.
      5. Default apps: Can we patch the system to give us more default options? (e.g. Qupzilla, LuneTube)
    6. Any other business.
    7. Date of next meeting.

NOTE:
    • After introductions and administration, section four deals with what we've agreed to do / is in progress. Section five covers possibilities or issues we are only considering. It may be that we won't or can't do anything. We might defer further consideration until later or decide to take an item up as a project, so it will be in section four at future meetings.
    • Items in section four will be removed when considered completed.
    • I've taken the liberty of grouping 'documentation' projects as sub-projects beneath a main heading where we will ideally develop a general strategy for documentation (also to neaten the agenda). I hope the group approves of this.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/09/2017 at 08:50 PM.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    I can't seem to post a new agenda - I don't know why it's being sent to moderation or maybe it's me getting flagged up? (Well, this one worked!)
    Sorry - not sure why it was caught in our filters for approval... it's been posted now
    Preemptive likes this.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Sorry - not sure why it was caught in our filters for approval... it's been posted now
    Thanks. Maybe the mark up was messy. I've deleted the duplicate & tidied everything up a bit.

Oh! It's on Sunday already! Better do some actual work...
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this Sunday.

I hope to join you all next time (and look forward to reading the meeting-briefs).
    Hi webOS Folks,
    Unfortunately I will not be in attendance for tomorrow's (Nov 12, 2017) meeting due to visiting family. The good/bad news is that I don't have much to report anyway as I don't think I've done any work on either project below since the last meeting.

If I were in attendance I'd bring up wpa_supplicant re: KRACK - I ran into brick walls trying to do anything about this issue which I found completely beyond my capabilities to deal with. I thought I might be able to find a 'vanilla' wpa_supplicant binary of the same version as the 0.6.10 in webOS and diff the two to see if webOS uses a patched version, but I struck-out on finding a built armel 0.6.10 binary... Krack hack fix for webOS?
    I think someone with the knowledge to do something like the openSSL update could tackle this, but unfortunately it is beyond me.

Updated meta-doctors. (Herrie, bbito)
    - I haven't been able to do more work on this since the last meeting

Use the webOS internals wiki for technical information. (novaldex, Preemptive, bbito & Shuswap) > Progress Report.
    - I haven't been able to do more work on this since the last meeting

-Hope to 'see' you all next time!
    I'm aiming to be on. But, I am confused... At least at the time conversions on the first page. I assume that the conversions weren't updated when the time for doing this was? 1800 GMT should be 1000 PST. Anyway, I'll aim to be up and on for 1800 GMT.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  18.    #58  
    Hey everybody,

I'm really sorry, something came up and distracted me - I totally forgot! No good excuses.

A quick look at the log shows there was a meeting of sorts - and a bunch of important community members were there. Even Misj' made it after all. You all seemed to have a nice chat at least.

I'm happy to try again next Sunday if anyone wants to. I'll set multiple alarms!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 11/13/2017 at 10:10 AM.
    Hey everybody,

I'm really sorry, something came up and distracted me - I totally forgot! No good excuses.

A quick look at the log shows there was a meeting of sorts - and a bunch of important community members were there. Even Misj' made it after all.You all seemed to have a nice chat at least.

I'm happy to try again next Sunday if anyone wants to. I'll set multiple alarms!
    I forgive you. Herrie tried to get me to run the meeting. Dodged that bullet!
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Grabber5.0 and Preemptive like this.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I forgive you. Herrie tried to get me to run the meeting. Dodged that bullet!
    Maybe we need more military discipline? I know I do!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast