Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
Like Tree35Likes
  1. #21  
    Bleh. I meant to join! I think I was asleep at that time and didn't have the energy to get up. :/ I'll read the above and logs, though.

    I'm interested in helping where I can, but can't commit full time on any projects at the moment. EDIT: I have a list of projects that I have been slowly working on here: https://github.com/dkirker/me/wiki/Projects
    Last edited by dkirker; 08/22/2017 at 08:35 PM.
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    baldric likes this.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    about the location service, since we are discussing...

    if I found the right file, it's hooking to a remote google server that now doesn't exist anymore. Some other app (different product) was using the same location and developer key. Suspect a generic key issued by google.

    Thing is... now android uses as preferred method to get the geolocation, the play services... you call an api that's included in those, and that's all.
    Yes, you could use the map geolocation api, but my sensation is that "we" used a backdoor of the older location method ( through play services ).

    Lumberjack states a "no such file or directory" on activating location through google, and I guess is a direct result of the remote server not being present.
    if we know which server right now google uses for the play services geolocation, we could try to define its ip with an alias having the old name, and test. ( just an idea )

    And since we are here ....

    there's an ntp daemon running, and it points to ntp0.palmws.com , that obviously doesn't exist anymore. This is the reason the time tends to drift.
    We should replace that with a current working ntp address
    I had started looking at the protocol used and was trying to write a proxy that would respond on the old protocol (it was a binary protocol that Google developed, I forget what it was called). I had to snag the definitions from the older Android sources, convert the converted definitions from Java to the definition format, and then was tweaking them and looking to use a PHP implementation of the binary protocol. Ah, and I had some stuff starting here: https://github.com/openmobl/MASFServer The protocol is MASF. I hadn't uploaded the definitions that I was creating for the geo-location API, yet.

    I think at this point I was just considering scrapping creating a proxy and putting the energy into re-implementing the com.palm.location service as a plugin architecture to support phone based location, GPS hardware location (say, over BT), Google location, Mozilla location, etc. Whatever service you wanted to use. I think my goal had been to write it in a way so that LuneOS could use it. (If I recall from the investigation that I did, LuneOS implements a basic mojolocation implementation that uses one service, and then has a QT plugin that points any QT location request to mojolocation.) My goal was to base the architecture like the location service that you can install to Android from FDroid.
    Last edited by dkirker; 08/22/2017 at 08:43 PM.
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Preemptive and Grabber5.0 like this.
  3.    #24  
    It seems Novaldex has found a fix for the wiki already! If anyone still finds errors, please report to the thread linked in the post above. If the wiki is in good shape, then we can begin to consider fresh content.
  4.    #25  
    16 days until the next meeting.

    TCL launching new Palm-branded devices in 2018??

    ToniCipriani suggests lobbying TCL. While our numbers are way too small to be of commercial interest to them, I wonder if they could be persuaded to make their Palm phone 'tinkerer' friendly? Perhaps if it was Halium friendly? I suspect plans are already set and in motion, but we could discuss this, maybe co-ordinate with other OSS phone projects...
  5. #26  
    Legacy browser patch (currently only TP). The patch applies a filter to the current URL based on (customizable) matching criteria: [Patch] Browser (Touchpad) - Smart URL Cleaner
    Preemptive likes this.
  6.    #27  
    I'm almost shocked by the progress! It's still more than two weeks to the next meeting. I was expecting progress reports, but quite a few issues are already solved or well on the way!
  7. #28  
    I think you might just have caught us at the right time! If we're ahead of ourselves, what would be a good focus for the next 2 weeks till the meeting?
  8.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaldex View Post
    I think you might just have caught us at the right time! If we're ahead of ourselves, what would be a good focus for the next 2 weeks till the meeting?
    I'm not saying we are ahead or behind - I had just tempered my expectations as everyone is volunteering and has many other claims on their time.

    The summary in post 5 includes our list of projects. I've added links to threads where work has been done.

    It makes sense to focus on these - either for additional work or to think about for the next meeting. For me, the two obvious things are the patch portal and the meta-doctors. I imagine it is not too difficult for an expert to make a meta-doctor (a prototype at least for now), but if there is to be a doctor for every device permutation, we should consider and discuss what should and should not be included. I'd say the basics like OSSL, Certificate bundle and of course bypassed activation. This is because a repaired patch portal will help collecting important fixes to the feed and allow them to be optional. Of course, this needs the portal to be fixed. Herrie has already done work in the past here by fixing the problems with the original code, but would like that code to be reviewed and possibly updated to handle any newer threats. Therefore I'd say finding a PHP expert who is willing and able to check the code is an important next step. Thread: Is the webosinternals patch portal down? Anyone who is or who knows a PHP expert, let us know!

    There may be an uptick of interest after this article on a mainstream site: Remember Palm’s WebOS? Maybe not, but Apple and Google definitely do - Salon.com Some old gadgets may get pulled out of the drawer...

    Beyond that, post 12 has the draft agenda for the next meeting. After progress reports, we will discuss other items raised at the first meeting or items arising since, so if anyone has anything to add or has ideas for those issues, those are things that can be prepared for the 17th.

    I tried to prepare and post things like statements and proposals before the first meeting so that we could read them in advance and focus on discussion during the actual meeting. For example, I'm happy to present a report on the wiki fixes, but as you did the work, it might be better if you wrote it up for future reference. You could add the technical details to the thread and the thread itself could serve as the progess report. Then we can move on to thinking about any content fixes or new material we could add there.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/04/2017 at 11:06 AM.
    Novaldex and MartinH@webos like this.
  9. #30  
    I've got some personal PHP experience, but it's not my day job so I wouldn't consider myself an expert. Still, i'd be happy to review Herrie's code.

    I seem to remember an old reference (in another conversation) to some script that used to collate patch info & it being missing, but I may be wrong.

    For info, I believe we're running PHP 7.1 now officially. Can confirm when I get a chance to get on the boxes properly.
    Preemptive likes this.
  10.    #31  
    A bit late for a 1 week reminder, but the next meeting is on Sunday the 17th.

    The time was selected to cover morning in the western Americas to evening in eastern Europe. If anyone wishes to organise a meeting better timed for Asia & Pacific regions to Australasia, contact me and we'll discuss the best way to coordinate.

    The agenda is in Post 12 Existing members are welcome to request additions or adjustments to this agenda. If you are busy, Let me know. I'm happy to pass information to the meeting on your behalf.

    Now is the time to prepare your (brief) progress reports. Feel free to post them here or on the dedicated project thread if there is one. This will allow them to be read in advance, freeing more time for discussion. A summary and logs of the previous meeting are in post 5.

    Anyone new who wishes to join in might want to have their brief introduction ready (see the log for examples). If you are wondering what this is all about, check the first post.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/11/2017 at 10:05 PM.
  11.    #32  
    Regarding the agenda, Though we can get through the progress reports fairly quickly, we are now up to 9 items on the list for further discussion. I think there are only 10 of us at the moment and though some projects may already be 'done', in reality they may need more development or the addition of content in the case of the wiki. I expect progress will slow a bit now unless we get more members, so 9 items is probably too much to discuss at once.

    So does anyone want to suggest some priorities? I'm thinking if we have 5 items, then if anyone can do anything with them, they might become projects. Can we triage the list? Perhaps we should aim for the easy stuff first or maybe fixing particular items will make it easier to fix others later? My thoughts:
    1. git.webos-internals.org has gone for a long time, so maybe some sources of preware apps are lost.. would be nice to recover it too (likely solution in post 15). (due to possible easy solution)
    2. Should we lobby TCL? (due to time factor)
    3. Preservation / Restoration of sources of documentation (including original Palm documents, Open WebOS & 3rd party sources such as webOS101). (This could be a lot of work, but not difficult to start)
    4. Old domains associated with webOS. (simple discussion of options)
    5. webOS time service issue (Network Time not keeping clocks accurate) Useful, but ClockSync is a workaround.

    IF TIME IS SHORT WORRY ABOUT THESE LATER?
    1. Default apps: Can we patch the system to give us more default options? (e.g. Qupzilla, LuneTube)
    2. On device Help System.
    3. Device back up options.
    4. App stores discussion.


    What do you think?
  12. #33  
    Thank you all so much for your work on all of this. Two weeks ago I pulled out my pre plus and have discovered the community here. Have been gradually getting things as functional as possible for legacy 1.4.5.1. Your work is very much appreciated.
    Mutoidi and Preemptive like this.
  13. #34  
    Not sure I can make it this Sunday but will try. Novaldex has my "fixed" patch-portal code and I'm talking to some people about the WebOS Internals patch feed as well.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive likes this.
  14. #35  
    Thanks Herrie, i've been looking through the code & so far so good!

    I don't have the config file so I don't know the database details, but essentially everything is (or needs to be) stored in there. I'll go trawling through the servers to see what else I can spot that might be associated. Do we have the original URL for it?
  15. #36  
    Thanks Herrie, i've been looking through the code & so far so good!

    I don't have the config file so I don't know the database details, but essentially everything is (or needs to be) stored in there. I'll go trawling through the servers to see what else I can spot that might be associated. Do we have the original URL for it?
    http://patches.webos-internals.org if I'm correct. After submission these patches would need to be approved in patch portal and would then appear on the GitHub patches repo (https://github.com/webos-internals/patches) in the correct branch(es) (= webOS version(s)).

    Then there would be a Jenkins job run to update the patch feeds for Preware it seems. This was running on a now defunct builder I think. It seems that for the LuneOS feed we forked the build repo and modified it for our needs. I basically replicated this job into http://jenkins.nas-admin.org/job/webos-preware-feeds/

    It seems to simply run a Makefile that's in https://github.com/webos-internals/b...aster/Makefile (with the correct parameters?) and it would create updated feeds I think. We'd just need to make sure it would push it to the correct locations etc?

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  16.    #37  
    Summary of the meeting of September 17th at 1700 GMT / UTC.

    **PLEASE NOTE: NOTHING HERE SHOULD BE TAKEN AS A PROMISE AND NO TIME LINES WILL BE MADE PUBLIC. ANY PROGRESS WILL BE HELPED BY MORE PEOPLE OFFERING TO HELP.**
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Attendees & Introductions of new attendees.
      There were 11 attendees.
    2. Any proposed updates to the aims or rules of the group
      No updates were proposed.
    3. Possible selection of officers or area contacts.
      This was deferred to the next meeting
    4. Progress reports
      • [4.1] New browser for TP only. (nizovn)
        Nizovn was praised for his achievement in bring the Qt5, QupZilla browser to webOS. Some bugs were noted and the possibility of this browser becoming available on the Pre2 was confirmed. Nizovn will continue development.
        [4.2] Legacy browser patch. (Misj, Shuswap)
        Misj was praised for the configurable patch that can alter certain URLs to redirect to site versions better suited to the aging browser and it's touch-friendly UI. The ability to reach usable versions of Youtube was recently made redundant by changes at Google, but there is a work around via another site. Misj suggested the possibility of launching particular apps from the browser and has borrowed a Pre3 to work on a version for that device. We agreed to try and encourage users to post new filters to the thread.
        [4.3] Updated meta-doctors. (Herrie, bbito)
        Discussions have begun on the process of constructing meta-doctors and there was some discussion of what to include. Suggestions should be made on the thread. Technical documentation will be posted on the webOS Internals wiki.
        [4.4] Updated location service. (Misj, mazzinia)
        No progress was reported.
        [4.5] Find / improve documentation of mojo / enyo. (Misj)
        It seems that multiple sources have been archived and some are still available. It was agreed to start a thread to discuss where best to place the material (and in what format) so that it is easily found and accessed.
        [4.6] Fix & use the webOS internals wiki for technical information. (novaldex, Preemptive, bbito & Shuswap) > Progress Report.
        Technical issues have been resolved thanks to novaldex and the webOS Ports team. Suggestions and proposals for updates or new content can be posted on the forum thread.
        [4.7] Fix the webos internals patch feed or manage it manually. (novaldex, Preemptive) > Progress Report.
        Work to recreate manual and automatic options for the patch portal are underway.
        [4.8] webOS Nation App gallery submission and access. (Preemptive)
        No progress was reported.
    5. Discussion of other items
      • [5.1] Preservation / Restoration of sources of documentation (including original Palm documents, Open WebOS & 3rd party sources such as webOS101).
        It is likely that there are back ups and archive of much of the online support material. A forum thread will be set up to list, identify and host the material for reference.
        [5.2] git.webos-internals.org has gone for a long time, so maybe some sources of preware apps are lost.. would be nice to recover it too (likely solution in post 15).
        This is both backed up and likely moved to webOS Internals' github. It was agreed that novaldex & Herrie would check everything was present and available.
        [5.3] webOS time service issue (Network Time not keeping clocks accurate)
        It is unclear how easy it would be to point the webOS time service to a public time server since the Palm.com service closed. If possible, this fix could be added to the new meta-doctors. There was discussion of the ClockSync app as an interim solution. Code is available, but there is a newer app version. The app is not easily available. The code could be updated with what is in the IPK and the app hosted in one of the repositories.
        [5.4] Device back up options.
        Possibilities for making an automated back up service were discussed, including sync options and the Save/Restore app. It was agreed to create a forum thread for discussion.
        [5.5] App stores discussion.
        On the subject of a future app store for webOS and perhaps LuneOS, discussion was deferred.
        [5.6] Should we lobby TCL?
        It was agreed that whatever TCL plan to deliver as a new Palm device, without any of Palm's operating systems one of the few ways to invoke the brand's reputation would be to be developer-friendly and open. It was agreed to contact other alternative phone OS projects via Halium and send a letter to TCL requesting that the new device would be open for the installation of alternate OSes. Contact will be made with Halium and a thread for a letter will be made.
        [5.7] Old domains associated with webOS.
        As websites devoted to webOS gradually disappear, it's possible to buy the domain names. Some have already been obtained. Aside from preserving content (see 5.1) There is a question of whether the group should secure old domain names. Then what use should the domains be put to? It was generally agreed that grabbing old domains was unnecessary, but a few sites holding old material from then would be useful. Discussion will continue on the forum.
        [5.8] On device Help System.
        The on-device help broke when the HP servers closed. They were assembled and delivered by the server depending on the device. It is believed the files (documents, images and animations) were copied and preserved, but they are not easily found and the machinery that would deliver them to a device is gone. We will try to clarify if the files are still held somewhere. (Palm.si?)
        [5.9] Default apps: Can we patch the system to give us more default options? (e.g. Qupzilla, LuneTube)
        The launcher menu allows setting default apps for certain file or data types, but options are limited - usually to system apps. As new apps have been made to replace broken or aging system apps, it would be good if they could be set as the default app. A request for information on patching this will be made on the service pack thread.
    6. Any other business.
      No other business.
    7. Date of next meeting.
      15th October 2017 at 1730GMT.


    The full log of the second meeting is here: #webos log: SUN Sep 17

    A LIST OF USER GROUP PROJECTS
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/18/2017 at 04:53 PM.
  17.    #38  
    I think there was a lot to cover in section 5, but on the other hand, we have no covered most of the issues. I've added two of them to the projects list and the rest can be discussed for feasibility or the best approach.

    We were able to cover the agenda in 2 hours. Hopefully the next meeting will be shorter - maybe an hour to 90mins.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
  18.    #39  
    Proposed agenda for the next meeting on October 15th at 1730 GMT / UTC. Please post suggestions for additions or alterations. Please also post if you would like a second meeting timed to suit other time zones.
    1. Attendees & Introductions of new attendees.
    2. Any proposed updates to the aims or rules of the group
    3. Possible selection of officers or area contacts.
    4. Project Progress reports
      1. QupZilla browser. (nizovn)
      2. Legacy browser patch (Misj)
      3. Updated meta-doctors (Herrie, bbito)
      4. Updated location service (Misj, mazzinia)
      5. Find / improve documentation of mojo / enyo (Misj)
      6. Updates to the webOS Internals wiki (novaldex, Preemptive, bbito & Shuswap) > Progress Report.
      7. Fix the webos internals patch feed or manage it manually (novaldex, Herrie, Preemptive) > Progress Report.
      8. webOS Nation App gallery submission and access (Preemptive)
      9. Preservation / Restoration of sources of documentation (including original Palm documents, Open WebOS & 3rd party sources such as webOS101)
      10. Lobbying TCL on the new Palm device
    5. Discussion of other items
      1. Is git.webos-internals.org material all present on github? (post 15).
      2. Can the webOS time service be fixed? (Network Time not keeping clocks accurate) Is ClockSync updated and easily obtained?
      3. Device back up options.
      4. App stores discussion.
      5. Old domains associated with webOS.
      6. Are the on-device help system files available?
      7. Default apps: Can we patch the system to give us more default options? (e.g. Qupzilla, LuneTube)
    6. Any other business.
    7. Date of next meeting.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/18/2017 at 12:27 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. pivotCE: It seems a webOS TV has been rooted.
    By Preemptive in forum LG webOS TV
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08/14/2017, 05:48 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/11/2017, 08:35 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/09/2017, 11:13 PM
  4. SlingTV app WebOS 3.0 - How-To or instructions?
    By elkcaps in forum LG webOS TV
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/02/2017, 09:16 AM
  5. Migrating from pre3/webOS to Android - need help
    By dreamseekeroo in forum HP Pre 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07/23/2017, 07:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions