View Poll Results: Which day works best for you?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sunday night March 29th

1 16.67%
  • Friday night April 3rd

5 83.33%
  • Saturday Afternoon April 4th

0 0%
  • Saturday Evening April 4th

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree43Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That Touchpad boot up yet?
    Hi Matt! Not yet! After the LED flashed for a few more hours, the Android start up screen (flashing colorful tiles) played continuously until some time late last night. I unplugged the device and tried to boot it up, but got the "needs power" icon. I've plugged it in again, and it's now showing the battery icon, which is a definite improvement. I'll check it again after church to see if it's finally booted up.

Happy Easter!
    Karla
    "Give me WebOS, or give me death!"
    Palm Pre > Sprint FrankenPre 2 > Verizon Pre 3 (coming soon!)
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Could someone send me the 2.2.4 doctor for a Pre 3? The links on WebOS Internals no longer work. I'd like to try doctoring my phone before activating it this week.

Thanks!
    Karla
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbudd View Post
    Could someone send me the 2.2.4 doctor for a Pre 3? The links on WebOS Internals no longer work. I'd like to try doctoring my phone before activating it this week.

Thanks!
    Edit your HOSTS file
    23.4.17.24 cdn.downloads.palm.com
    195.22.200.42 downloads.help.palm.com
    15.217.96.16 help.palm.com

Then use one of the doctor links
    WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    (This applies until the HP shutdown on the 15th of March 2015...whenever...).

If that doesn't work for you, try the internet archive:
    https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...octor_Versions

This free service welcomes donations.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbudd View Post

Thanks!
    Actually now that you mention it, if it doesn't have at least 2.2.3, you have to doctor it to that version or higher (but really, 2.2.3 is a waste of time) or it won't activate on Verizon. Follow the procedure to update your hosts file and the download links will work.
    First of all, my Touchpad has started up! It booted up in Android, but I was able to get it back to WebOS. Success!

Secondly, I was able to get the doctor for 2.2.4 via the internet archive. Success!

Thanks for your help!
    Karla
    I made it home and wanted to say how awesome it was to meet everyone! I'm all excited to get a Nexus 4 and try out luneOS!

(If anyone sees any good deals on a Nexus 4 please let me know!)

The waiter managed to get one good photo with my camera, which I sent to Alan so I assume he'll post/share it.
    Join date: 07/22/2003 (Going to hold on to my Pixi Pre 3 as long as I can!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    I made it home and wanted to say how awesome it was to meet everyone! I'm all excited to get a Nexus 4 and try out luneOS!

(If anyone sees any good deals on a Nexus 4 please let me know!)

The waiter managed to get one good photo with my camera, which I sent to Alan so I assume he'll post/share it.
    @Atif

Congratulations on your winning of the door prize at the meetup! Hope you enjoy it!
    Where is that picture?
    Well, no one else has posted the link, so...
    https://pivotce.com/2015/04/09/st-lo...-meetup-recap/

I really enjoyed reading the article. I wish it had been longer, but then there's no substitute for actually being there!
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Well, no one else has posted the link, so...
    https://pivotce.com/2015/04/09/st-lo...-meetup-recap/

I really enjoyed reading the article. I wish it had been longer, but then there's no substitute for actually being there!
    Longer!? You were expecting the Iliad?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Preemptive likes this.
    I'm not saying it was short, but c'mon! There's an Illiad's worth in there! More of an Odyssey if you count the live tweets of you and creepingme's journey's there!
    • The mystery prototype! (that's a whole article!)
    • The freakishly beautiful Frankenpres!
    • Custom case! Built like the Argo!
    • The dangerous siren call of the Touchstone2!
    • The rare sight of 3 TouchPad Go's
    • Silug runs a Linux user group!
    • You got Grabber5.0 (I wanted a shot of his car)
    • I want to hear more about Atif's ideas for webOS!
    • The happy ending of soccerbudd's saved TouchPad!
    • I'm printing stickers!

BTW, How was the food?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/09/2015 at 10:06 PM.
    Well, there is a picture of my car on the back of the shirt I am wearing in that pic, so technically, it's there.. just look really hard. (It was the only version of my car that was physically present at the meetup. Cramming 5 people into a Maverick is no longer fun, to say nothing of the 4 hour trip to St Louis.)
    Preemptive likes this.
    I
    • I want to hear more about Atif's ideas for webOS!

BTW, How was the food?
    The food was pretty good.... But I'm going to have to try deep dish in Chicago to really judge!

I have lots of ideas and have started doing a little research. But more importantly, when I finish my dissertation in a month or two...I am in the enviable position of NOT having to go out and get a job right away so I can spend a significant amount of time on webOS/LuneOS.

For instance.... just saw this phone:
    Hands On with the Huawei SnapTo (Phone Scoop)

In a few months they will probably have crates and crates of these lying around...would it be feasible to buy quite a few at a significant discount...get luneOS on them (even if it means paying someone a one-off fee to write drivers)...and then sell/use those devices to demonstrate luneOS as a feasible open source "third" OS?

Even very modest visibility could prompt LG or another upstart handset manufacturer to consider making luneOS available to the general public.....

(I'm not trying to hijack this thread into a huge discussion....more just throwing this out there to get people thinking about what *could* be possible...)
    Preemptive likes this.
  14.    #74  
    Only trouble is LuneOS requires an Android 4.2.2 base. Unless you could downgrade that specific device, you'll run into a slew of problems immediately.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Here is some ear-candy for the car-lovers among us.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Only trouble is LuneOS requires an Android 4.2.2 base. Unless you could downgrade that specific device, you'll run into a slew of problems immediately.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    You're actually wrong there. It doesn't have a hard requirement for a 4.2.2 base. It's the case for the Nexus devices which are CM 10.1 = Android 4.2.2 based for now (will be upgraded to CM11 at some point just hasn't been focus). TP uses CM11 as a basis which is based on 4.4 ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif View Post
    (I'm not trying to hijack this thread into a huge discussion....more just throwing this out there to get people thinking about what *could* be possible...)
    So start a thread!

Aside from Alan's comment, my question would be, "Is this hardware powerful enough to show LuneOS off to it's best advantage?" Remember the problems when webOS first came out? We don't want that happening again.

See you on the new thread!
    So start a thread!
    I just linked to that phone review as it is something that I came across today....

Basically once I am done with my dissertation I will have time and energy to dedicate to the big question of how do we get webOS/LuneOS out there to the general public....

I have ideas, some might not be feasible....

It was really good to meet people in St. Louis as it has started me thinking about what I need to do/learn etc...and it was good to bounce some thoughts off of people who are much more knowledge able than myself!

I don't want to start any new threads/discussions quite yet until I'm done with my dissertation and I *know* I'll have time/energy to really follow up on them! I think all of us who love webOS have suffered from lack of follow through and I don't want to start something until I know I'll be able to see it through...

In the mean time.....here is a link to a video of one of my lab's walking robot. The video is several years old now so the field as changed. Heck the ROBOT has changed...one of the my projects was adding a vision board to the robot so now it can line follow and steer itself...

Grabber5.0 and Preemptive like this.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234