Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  1.    #1  
    hi all,

i'm wondering if there's any interest in a webOS meetup in Atlanta.

Here's my initial thoughts:

- I just signed onto meetup.com to join my friend's new meetup (Atlanta Dive Bar Aficionados) and saw there isn't a single webOS meetup group on there.
    - Coincidentally this board says there's a Chicago meet planned like next week. 11/24? (See their thread)

IDEALLY what I'd like to see at a meetup (along with what John S mentioned in a previous post)

- Discuss the latest open webOS news
    --- what's up with LG, PIC, webosports?
    - Share the most critical webOS software tips and tricks
    --- what apps are active, supported, new
    --- "must have" apps
    --- viable alternatives for discontinued apps/services
    - Create and distribute a webOS software survival pkg
    --- a suite of WOSQI, wubi, novaterm, various ipks, OEM backgrounds, and doctors zip-packaged for quick copy to a flash drive
    - Live demo of meta-dr script creation
    - Live demo of Franken conversion
    - Rare item display
    - Demo of TP dual boot options
    - Live speedtesting carrier comparisons
    - Live troubleshooting and optimizing workshop

I don't know I just made all that stuff up; I've never been to a phone meetup. It would require some very knowledgeable guests to pull off a line up like that.

But I know there's people out there that have info which would help others. And as my 7th grade chemistry teacher would say, "a picture's worth a 1000 words, but a demo's worth a million"

I have no idea how many people give a hoot about any of this; or if ATL is even the best location. Or if some of this is already planned for Chicago so just go there and be happy there's that.

I'm just thinking of what I'd like to learn and what I can contribute as well. It would be really cool if we could establish a "baseline for 2014", what we all pretty much need or should have, and get everyone up to spec. Then again, I'm squeezing the life out of a 3G phone. Maybe i'm kidding myself.

At the least, if it's not an event worth traveling for, maybe ATL metro locals would like to get together for some webOS chit-chat.

Suggestions very welcome!
    Though I am not sure if we are worth traveling great distances to come to our meetups We have a great time at them and have done the vast majority of the things on your list. We welcome all and would love to have any traveler attend. However be aware some members don't use webOS daily anymore some do (like me). There is food, drinks, and fun at every event!

If we had enough interest, perhaps there could be something bigger than a regular meetup that would be a national event we could attend once a year or something for a weekend? Just a thought.
    I live in the metro Detroit area, so Chicago although it is 5 hour drive is closer then Atlanta, but what I would love is a virtual session (live streaming), so that we can then setup local to our cities but have a full webOS meetup presentation... (although the file sharing and doctoring part would be from a far it would allow others to watch and learn)...
    60RH likes this.
    I live in the Atlanta area and would enjoy a get together. Only issue for me is I work nights so a weekend would be better. I would enjoy meeting other WebOS fans and pick up on things I don't know. I have yet to lay my hands on any pre phone as I only started using WebOS on the TP. As I am pondering a pre3 it would be cool to see one before I commit. Heck, I STILL would like to learn to make an app as my kids are bowlers and my son would freak out if I could make him one that did not require me to cross over to the dark side of my TP
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I live in the metro Detroit area, so Chicago although it is 5 hour drive is closer then Atlanta, but what I would love is a virtual session (live streaming), so that we can then setup local to our cities but have a full webOS meetup presentation... (although the file sharing and doctoring part would be from a far it would allow others to watch and learn)...
    I would love the virtual session, since I relocated recently and both on my previous and current location there are no meetups around. We know why but it took me quite some time to find out about how to debug my patches in the Palm - Ares - v8 Debugger before that I was doing that in the emulator with lumberjack and a lot of Mojo.Log statements which was PITA! And found out about that after following hp/palm documentation and webos-internals after failing to do the eclipse setup with autocomplete or Komodo I guess was the other tool since they all move up in versions and the plug ins for webos are updated and I can't find the correct installs on the web and I've been RTFM some but not a lot
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    Though I am not sure if we are worth traveling great distances to come to our meetups We have a great time at them and have done the vast majority of the things on your list. We welcome all and would love to have any traveler attend. However be aware some members don't use webOS daily anymore some do (like me). There is food, drinks, and fun at every event!

If we had enough interest, perhaps there could be something bigger than a regular meetup that would be a national event we could attend once a year or something for a weekend? Just a thought.
    tix to ORD are $500 so I guess I won't be coming up next week.

but I do like the idea of a national meet up, including some kind of virtual thing with several regional meets occurring simultaneously. that may be a serious logistics hurdle though.

@Joeytino: I'm open to an impromptu meet at some local coffee shop or tavern to discuss webOS. I'm in Roswell, but don't mind traveling anywhere ATL metro. Maybe if this thread attracts another couple of folks we'd have something interesting.

But I can contribute: perspective on using a Sprint FrankenPre2 daily, and comparison of my TP32 to my Nex7 with webOS themed launcher.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 11/19/2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I live in the Atlanta area. Just let me know when and where.
    I'm in as well. Have a pixi+ and just got a new Veer, would like some tips on the best patches, apps, tips/tricks. Thanks for kicking this off.
  9.    #9  
    cool, there is some interested parties here.

maybe a couple hrs on a weekend day in the next week or so?

im ok with a weekday too. I'm in Roswell. first place to come to mind is Meehan's in Sandy Springs, has a big picnic table like spot that could be good for looking at devices all at once.

chime in with your location and availability. We'll figure out what fits and do it. i dont care if its small at first, we can always schedule another.
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    I would love the virtual session, since I relocated recently and both on my previous and current location there are no meetups around. We know why but it took me quite some time to find out about how to debug my patches in the Palm - Ares - v8 Debugger before that I was doing that in the emulator with lumberjack and a lot of Mojo.Log statements which was PITA! And found out about that after following hp/palm documentation and webos-internals after failing to do the eclipse setup with autocomplete or Komodo I guess was the other tool since they all move up in versions and the plug ins for webos are updated and I can't find the correct installs on the web and I've been RTFM some but not a lot
    Its really nice suggestion of the OP to have a local meet up for WebOS fans or app developers, would nice to see and probably strike up a conversation with other cool folks who owns other hardware devices powered by WebOS. Yet, since i don't live any where near GA, I would like to simply suggest the virtual session would be nice too for people who can't make it up to the meeting or don't live in Atlanta. On the Plus aide, would be bit cool learning from hackers or developers what its to develop or teach others to install the OS 2.2.5 firmware on the Palm Pre 3.

Mostly around my area of Miami, FL....its really rare to see someone with WebOS device let alone TouchPad tablet that they might still use.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    I live in the Atlanta area and would enjoy a get together. Only issue for me is I work nights so a weekend would be better. I would enjoy meeting other WebOS fans and pick up on things I don't know. I have yet to lay my hands on any pre phone as I only started using WebOS on the TP. As I am pondering a pre3 it would be cool to see one before I commit. Heck, I STILL would like to learn to make an app as my kids are bowlers and my son would freak out if I could make him one that did not require me to cross over to the dark side of my TP
    You want to make an app for bowling?!? PM me and I'll help, if I can.
  12.    #12  
    while we attempt to build some interest in an Atlanta webOS meetup, here's a link to another meetup event that i'll be attending Dec 6 which is a Friday nite @ 7, right in the center of Atlanta.

Friday Night Happy Hour - Atlanta Dive Bar Aficionados (Atlanta , GA) - Meetup

it's just a social drinker's meetup that a friend is arranging and I agreed i'd go support it. but anyone who wants to discuss webOS with me is certainly welcome to join me there.

i see there's a meetup thread from a year or more ago listed down below on this page. i'm going to PM some of those folks and see if they're still here and holding some webOS device. y'never know who's still signed up but doesn't visit regularly, or who's going to dust off their old phone and come back to us.
    just trying to get the ball rollin'.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Would love to make a meet-up, found this site when I first spied the Pre, helped me make that jump from a flip phone ��, to the everyphone. Probably working though,life of a chef. I'll have to get on that dive bar thread, that's up my alley. Stop by There Bar in Brookhaven and I'll show off my PRE3
  14.    #14  
    bump.

c'mon out, ATLiens...

...the divebar meetup i mentioned is this Friday.
    Bummer I can't make it as I work weeknights
    will be there.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    Bummer I can't make it as I work weeknights
    hey Joey,

being unempl. at the moment, my days are open too.

if you wanna grab lunch or coffee and talk phones, just reply here. You can toy with a Pre2 a little n see if you like obsolete phones too. heheh

anyone else in this thread, same offer. i dont know if we are going to get much more interest than you guys who responded.

is anyone interested in comin out Fri nite? ill bring my TP, webOS-themed nexus7, and my Pre2s. i can bring a laptop to demo WOSQI too if necessary.