Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    After the success of the meetup in San Francisco, I've decided, with a few friends from the community (David Strack and Brad Cook, to name two), to host another one a bit closer to home, and with a bit more structure going for it. This thread is to discuss details and spread the word about the event that will be coming in Summer of 2011.

A more appropriate name for this event, rather than it being called a meetup, is probably conference. Because the Midwest is quite vast, and all other official webOS events take place further East or West (making it difficult for many of us to get out there), this event is going to be quite a bit larger than your typical meetup to make it worthwhile for more people to join us. We're looking at a one or two day event (one evening flowing into the next morning) with a couple of select speakers (already making those selections) and hopefully some decent prizes to giveaway (especially if HP wants to help sponsor the event).

First task to complete: select a city that will host all of us. Update: We've been voting for a few days and it's down to St. Louis and Chicago. Here are reasons given for either of these cities, but please make your votes by Friday so we can make a decision:

St Louis - (My choice) There are more people that can ONLY go to St Louis for an event due to transportation issues. St. Louis is also further West and South than Chicago, which means it is far closer to a lot more people. Also, several people that voted for other cities said St. Louis was a second choice, or that they were open to go anywhere. Thus, STL seems a good choice.

Chicago - Bigger, more people voted for this location (only a couple more, though) and it has a lot more choices for finding a good venue.

So far I know venues in Cincy, Indy and Chicago that we could look into for the event, but I threw in St. Louis as another option because it's just a beautiful city (and closer to other places out West for more people to join us).

Alright, the floor is open. Let's have a city chosen by the end of next week (Saturday, April 30th). Then we'll discuss a venue and dates that work best for everyone.

By the way, not everyone will be happy from the decisions we come to. That's just the nature of the beast. But put in your voice, and if it's loud we'll here it and hopefully be able to accommodate.
    Last edited by Tim Stiffler-Dean; 04/27/2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: update votes
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I vote for Chicago since it's a fun town and it's closest to me in Milwaukee. I'd travel to any of those destinations, though!
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Personally, I can't stand Chi-town. I just don't like the city, though it's nothing personal. I would prefer Indy. Much easier to get to and get around. That's just my .02. The Lou would be #2 for me.
    Chicago is good for me, but I'd vote for Detroit.
    Cedar Rapids?

Just land between the rows of corn...
    I see pandas.
    Chicago is my vote (since I'm there)... but my second venue vote would be STL.
    Well, yeah, STL. But make it when the Redbirds are on a home stand, mmkay?
    I see pandas.
    EdCates likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Unfortunately, I don't think Cedar Rapids is gonna make the cut on this one. Or Detroit. heh... Both cities are fun (I was raised in Detroit, actually), but these other four have qualities that you can't beat.

So far we have
    Indy - 1 vote
    Chi-town - 3 votes
    St Louis - 4 votes (I'm leaning toward STL myself)

Now for the rest of you, we have plenty of time to figure out what region we'll be going to, so spread the word and get your votes in so we can find the best spot for everyone.
    Last edited by Tim Stiffler-Dean; 04/23/2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: update votes
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    Cincinnati's kind of the obvious choice.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Cincinnati's kind of the obvious choice.
    LOL - I thought you would say that. Of course, I wouldn't mind going down there myself - 45 minutes away.
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Stiffler-Dean View Post
    After the success of the meetup in San Francisco, I've decided, with a few friends from the community (David Strack and Brad Cook, to name two), to host another one a bit closer to home, and with a bit more structure going for it. This thread is to discuss details and spread the word about the event that will be coming in Summer of 2011.

A more appropriate name for this event, rather than it being called a meetup, is probably conference. Because the Midwest is quite vast, and all other official webOS events take place further East or West (making it difficult for many of us to get out there), this event is going to be quite a bit larger than your typical meetup to make it worthwhile for more people to join us. We're looking at a one or two day event (one evening flowing into the next morning) with a couple of select speakers (already making those selections) and hopefully some decent prizes to giveaway (especially if HP wants to help sponsor the event).

First task to complete: select a city that will host all of us. Somewhere closer to the majority of us would be better, but not necessarily best. Here are some places I was thinking:

- Chicago
    - St. Louis
    - Indianapolis
    - Cincinnati

So far I know venues in Cincy, Indy and Chicago that we could look into for the event, but I threw in St. Louis as another option because it's just a beautiful city (and closer to other places out West for more people to join us).

Alright, the floor is open. Let's have a city chosen by the end of next week (Saturday, April 30th). Then we'll discuss a venue and dates that work best for everyone.

By the way, not everyone will be happy from the decisions we come to. That's just the nature of the beast. But put in your voice, and if it's loud we'll here it and hopefully be able to accommodate.
    are those really midwest cities lol ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    are those really midwest cities lol ??
    Indeed, they are:
    Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    I vote for Chicago.

Although I would be up for carpooling to other locations possibly.
    St. Louis gets my vote. I could probably make that from Oklahoma City.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    What about the SE? I'd vote for a SE one in ATL.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    I'd like to see it in Cincy, but I'm able to travel to other locations as well.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    What about the SE? I'd vote for a SE one in ATL.
    I'd love to do an event in each of the four regions. This one is just a test to see what can be whipped up with everyone involved in making the decisions, and then I'll move on to helping other regions get going.

You should create a post to find other people in your area and have a small meetup at http://webOSevents.org/
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    my bad i just didnt realize that from Pennsylvania to ohio you go from north east united states to midwest in like 800 miles or less lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I'd have to vote for Chicago (or Milwaukee) personally.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    my bad i just didnt realize that from Pennsylvania to ohio you go from north east united states to midwest in like 800 miles or less lol
    I think thats because the "midwest" is about everything between the Rockies and Appalachians.
    I see pandas.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast