webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  webOS Events > Bay Area Monthly Meetup
Bay Area Monthly Meetup
Like Tree2Likes

Old 04/22/2011, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Since the San Francisco and Sunnyvale Meetups went over so well earlier this month, some of the people that were involved wanted to make this a monthly gig to keep everyone connected and up to date with the latest from the webOS Community. This thread is to discuss that possibility.

Need to discuss a few things and set some specifics for where and when these meetups will happen each month. Since I was only around for the one in April and don't live in the area, I'll be here to help set the arrangements, but will be unable to make it to every meeting or scope out any potential venues.

Here are some places/times that I suggest:

Venue:
Firehouse in Sunnyvale - This spot was pretty perfect for the small group that we had, but there was plenty of room left upstairs for several dozen people to sit comfortably. The waitress even let us move the tables around into a square so we could all look at each other while talking. Since this is also very close to the CalTrain, most of you should have no problem getting there from the North Bay area. And because it is within a few miles of most HPalm employees, it would not be a strange thing to see some of them stop by (like Lisa Brewster, John Kneeland, Jeremy (Germboy), Donald Kirker and Evan Wilbrecht did this last time).

We also tried 21st Amendment in San Francisco, and that was a decent spot. A bit crowded, and they closed up their bars pretty early (lame!). But it was still OK. May want to find a roomier spot for a larger group, though.

I've also heard that DishDash is a nice restaurant, but that there were some complaints from the managers of the joint the last time we had a meetup there. I would kindly suggest not going back to stir up problems again. Also, I'm told it was quite crowded.

Time:
Stick to a Friday, but be weary of sports schedules. If you're going to the SF area, you're probably going to be around a lot of game fans coming over from the stadium. Middle of the month also seems like a good idea. So, I suggest to make it simple, just go for the 2nd Friday of each month, or rotate to the 3rd if there's a big game going on that will cause issues with the venue.

Since most people don't get off of work until 5-6, aim for a 7 PM meetup time.

Lastly, we just need to make sure everyone is cool with this. I think there are other plans from people like dkirker to make this more organized, so you'll want to chat with him about that here, but hopefully this will work out and a new monthly webOS meetup will get started soon!
Tim Stiffler-Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2011, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ajay and I will be reviving the Stanford Palm User Group (old homepage Stanford PalmPilot User Group) as the Stanford Area/Silicon Valley Palm User Group (well, that is it's longer name, SPUG for short).

Keep an eye out at the new homepage: http://s-pug.org/. More information will come soon! We also have a twitter: SPUG (svpug) on Twitter

This is the oldest living still (barely) surviving Palm User Group.

I considered changing the name, but unless there are no legal objections, I want to keep the original name. Anyway, suggestions are welcome! This will be focused towards bringing webOS users together as well as bringing developers into contact with their customers.
Old 04/22/2011, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the thread, I look forward to future meets.
killab6420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2011, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Reviving SPUG is a cool idea, Donald. Should make it easy to get people the news. Will you be sending out a monthly newsletter that people can subscribe to and receive reminders on upcoming events? May be easier just to create a thread here that people subscribe to that you can update with each month's meetup info.
Tim Stiffler-Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2011, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

There are plenty other great places in SF right next to the train station, so if you want some other suggestions here they are:

Marlowe - SOMA - San Francisco, CA

Brickhouse Cafe - SOMA - San Francisco, CA

Mars Bar & Restaurant - SOMA - San Francisco, CA

Tres Agaves - SOMA - San Francisco, CA
deesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2011, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

You definitely want to avoid home Giants games if the meetup is in the city, gets quite crazy.
Old 05/02/2011, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

This all sounds awesome to me! I had emailed Donald, and a random person from craigslist with the idea of having the meetups rotate.
From the sound of it, the SF meet had more people than the last 2 sunnyvale meet we had. The first thought I had was to hold meets alternating between sunnyvale and san francisco. E.g. may in one city, june in the other.
The other option is to go more middle of the two, which would definitely avoid any giants home games. Regardless, we can choose a day and look at the giants' schedule, and plan from there.

As for alternate spot locations, i like places that are quiet(er), are cool with frankenpre'ing (that was DishDash's complaint , and with either reasonably large-sized round tables (my personal dream!) or movable furniture.

We should also talk about how folks want to proceed forward, maybe we should figure out the location/date thing first (assuming it's a discussion with forseeable end), then talk about promoting the event next? We could also get together and have a meeting on all this if folks prefer. I'm down for whatever!
(Sales prices always less than ebay)
sanaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2011, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

As for Sunnyvale, I think Firehouse was about as good as it gets. It reminds me a lot of Sonoma Chicken Coup. A little dark, but even with a Sharks game playing there was more than enough room. I'm really looking forward to the next meetup there, I can't wait for that delicious ale they sell. Do we have a date for May yet?
Old 05/09/2011, 02:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just saw this tweet from @preNotes:
"I think I'll find some new #Veer owners and throw a "small" party on the 15th. Ferry Building Gott's Roadside 5PM #SmallIsTheNewBig"
Maybe we should hijack that time, or at least date?
Old 05/09/2011, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanaking View Post
Just saw this tweet from @preNotes:
"I think I'll find some new #Veer owners and throw a "small" party on the 15th. Ferry Building Gott's Roadside 5PM #SmallIsTheNewBig"
Maybe we should hijack that time, or at least date?
that sounds good to me, especially if someone is willing to let me play with their Veer!
pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2011, 09:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

He said that anyone interested in webOS is welcome, the meetup just has a Veer theme. So I think he'd be more than happy for a bunch of us to join the party.
bemjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2011, 01:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

We made a meetup for it. Join us! HP Veer Launch Party - San Francisco webOS Meetup (San Francisco, CA) - Meetup

John Kneeland | Community & Developer Relations | Palm GBU | Hewlett-Packard Company

Feel free to reach out to me! john.kneeland (at) palm
John Kneeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2011, 01:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kneeland View Post
Nice! I'm jealous...
Old 05/13/2011, 03:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

anyone want to carpool from the south bay? And is there a facebook event created yet, or should there be? Plancast maybe? Partially asking to see how to best publicize going into the future too..
Old 05/18/2011, 04:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

sanaking and I are getting a date and time for an initial meetup finalized. We'll have a sort of initial get-together where we can plan some later details.
Old 06/24/2011, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hey folks!

So the date/time has been finalized, and so here is what you've been waiting for, the first, official SF/SJ Bay Area palm/webOS Users Group/Meetup*!

Where: Cascal's Restaurant in Mountain View, CA (2 blocks from caltrain/light rail)
When: 5-8pm

RSVP so we can make sure we have enough table space reserved for all that come, on your preferred site: Meetup or Facebook. You can also follow us on twitter!

I'm a little new to the social network marketing, so feel free to backchannel me with tips/advise, or if you are interested in helping the marketing effort! We also must discuss future venues, which will depend partially on who shows up so we know where the best area for meets are!

Hope to see you all soon!!
Ajay

* ok so the name is still in flux..
Old 06/26/2011, 12:13 AM   #17 (permalink)

What date?
Old 06/26/2011, 11:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

oops! Sorry about that, its friday, july 1st :-)
tell your friends!
we seem to have all forgotten about this post, so hope everyone gets on the meetup or fb grp too!
Old 06/28/2011, 09:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Dang, I'll be out of town. Have fun! I hope there is a good turnout.
Old 07/04/2011, 12:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

Hey folks! So right now we have a twitter acct, facebook page, and meetup group. I can continue posting about the monthly meet here if there is desire for that. That is, if folks are unable or uninterested in following in one of those other venues. Additionally, i've started updating the FB+twitter w/ other events of a webOS nature in the bay, which is more of the reason it would be nice if folks could follow in another venue -- so a triple post about every event I hear about wouldn't be needed. (and actually I forgot to update this and the facebook after the 530p venue change, only the meetup got changed, along w/ a twitter update, hence the other problem.) However! Everyone's invited to post events here or any of the other venues. If its upto me alone to post about events I'll definitely be missing stuff unfortunately. Thoughts? PS: we had about 30 people show up on friday night! Very cool, I wonder how many we'll see for next events! The next events look like a webOS workshop in sf, and a casual social of the same sort we've been having, possibly a pre3 launch party. Venue suggestions are welcome, this is a good place for all of that actually! Maybe we can add a poll to see what city folks are in, and how far they'd be willing to go for events. Ttfn, -@

Tags
bay area, meetup, san francisco

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0