webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  webOS Events > San Francisco webOS Meetup (April 2011)
San Francisco webOS Meetup (April 2011)

Old 04/08/2011, 08:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

EDIT: SF Meetup was a success, now to hit the SouthBay area, and how much more appropriate than to put it in Sunnyvale. Going to be at either DishDash or Firehouse (discuss below) at 7 PM with quite a few people (and a few from Palm HQ), so leave your confirmation below and we'll see you there!

I'm going to be in San Francisco next Wednesday (the 13th) through Sunday (the 17th), and while I'm there I thought it would be fun to have a webOS Fan Meetup with others in the area. So far I have a few people confirmed to be interested, but we haven't yet picked a venue (I don't know the area, so you guys will need to help with that one) or the best time (my schedule is pretty flexible, as are the others that are coming).

So if you're in the San Francisco area and want to get together with other webOS users, let's find the best date to do it, and a good venue, and make it happen. I look forward to meeting many of you next week.

Last edited by Tim Stiffler-Dean; 04/16/2011 at 01:53 PM.
Tim Stiffler-Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sanaking
Old 04/08/2011, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

great idea! As long as it isn't the 13th I'm in!
pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2011, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Excellent. Any ideas for a good location? The 13th is when I'll be arriving in the area, so I'll probably be getting settled in. I was thinking the 15th (Friday) would be the best.
Old 04/08/2011, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'll be there. I'm available anytime. If anyone wants to walk around Downtown and look at some buildings, I was a Historic Architecture Tour Guide for many years.
Sfhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2011, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Might need to take you up on that, Handyman. Since it will be my first time in San Fran, maybe we can make something out of that for a bit before the actual meetup starts?

After talking with a few others, it's starting to look like Friday night will be the best time. So unless there are any big objections, let's set that date and now find a venue for everyone.
Old 04/08/2011, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds like a plan, let me know the night it's and and I'll be there.

La Trappe Cafe is a cool place to meet up. Good Belgian beer and you can get a big table for a group
shaneosullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2011, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

La Trappe looks like a nice place, but is a little more than an hour north of the Sunnyvale/San Jose area. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but didn't know if we wanted to keep it farther south, or bring it into the heart of San Fran like that.
Old 04/08/2011, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

If anyone that is coming would be interested in doing a Sprint Pre 2 conversion I would be ecstatic!
Old 04/08/2011, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
If anyone that is coming would be interested in doing a Sprint Pre 2 conversion I would be ecstatic!
I would love a FrankenPre conversion as well. It would be fun to watch. In fact, it would be great if I could do it myself with some in-person instruction.

Last edited by adahm; 04/08/2011 at 05:55 PM.
adahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2011, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sounds like it could be like a little carnival. In the Frankenator booth, you can have your Pre or Pre+ monsterfied! In the Architectural Digest Booth you can sign up for tours of beautiful historical buildings in San Francisco...will there be a funnel cake booth?

Hope ya'll have fun. I'll be in the area around the 19th or 20th...but in May!

Now, have you arranged for someone who hates Palm and HP to come and tell everyone who doesn't want to hear that "webOS is going to die and don't waste your time, just give in and be assimilated to the droid or the apple"...? I just wanted to make sure you had a good time when you got together.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2011, 07:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

@pavvento & adahm - If I can find someone that knows how to do a FrankenPre, then we could definitely add that in. As of right now, I'm not entirely sure we have anyone. But that could yet change.

@Rockbeast - I haven't specifically gone out to find someone like that, but they'll inevitably show up, right? Lol
Old 04/08/2011, 07:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

O Hi everyone. I'm John. I work at HPalm and Tim will be staying at my place in the Lower Haight. So I'll be around for stuff to be sure.

John Kneeland | Community & Developer Relations | Palm GBU | Hewlett-Packard Company

Feel free to reach out to me! john.kneeland (at) palm
John Kneeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2011, 07:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Count me in as well for the meetup
jcruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2011, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Stiffler-Dean View Post
@pavvento & adahm - If I can find someone that knows how to do a FrankenPre, then we could definitely add that in. As of right now, I'm not entirely sure we have anyone. But that could yet change.

@Rockbeast - I haven't specifically gone out to find someone like that, but they'll inevitably show up, right? Lol
I've done 2.
deesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2011, 11:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hrm, sounds like fun. I'll do my best to show up if it's in SF proper, as I live out in the East Bay, so the South Bay is a bit of a trek. (I work in SF) The one day I definitely can't do is Thursday the 14th.
bemjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2011, 12:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemjb View Post
...the South Bay is a bit of a trek. (I work in SF)
I wouldn't be able to get to the South Bay. I'm a car free San Franciscan. I hope it happens in the City.
Sfhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2011, 12:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

Since they aren't killing Caltrain getting to the south bay from the City isn't too hard

I am interested as well, though not 100% sure I'll be able to make it.
Old 04/09/2011, 07:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

Alright, so let's just set a few things then:

1. We'll do it in San Fran, maybe not the norther region but a bit south so that if anyone from the San Jose area wants to swing up there, they can do it relatively easily.

2. deesugar - will you be coming to the meetup? If so, and if you would like to, we could set you up with a spot to do a FrankenPre so people can see how it's done?

3. SFHandyman - What time would you be available to give a show around the city (if you'd still like to do that)? I will be in South Bay area for a few hours earlier on, but should be back to SF close to 4, at the latest.

4. Let's just say for certain it's going to be on the 15th (Friday). Seems that everyone is pretty well able to make it then. I would say 5-6 PM would be best to kick it off and go for a few hours.

--------------------

So now we are just left with finding a venue. I really like La Trappe as suggested earlier, but that's a bit north of where I'd like to set this. If there are no other suggestions, I'll just have to pick a venue blindly via Google Maps. :P
Old 04/09/2011, 03:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm down! I live in SoMa, but hang out in Mission which has alot of great spots and I suggest we meet out here.
If it's a great day, Zeitgeist is always a good outdoor spot European Beer Garden style and 20+ taps.
And the 'Mission-Valencia' corridor is right there up on 16th, where a ton of bars are. But it can be packed on a Friday..
There's also 21st Amendment if people are coming in from southbay thats closer to Caltrain.

Are we planning on meeting for Dinner then maybe bars or just beer?

I'm 'keith' on freenode and 'keithah' on twitter.

I drove down to Sunnyvale last month for the Webos Internals meetup w/ rwhitby, time for another one.
meshuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2011, 04:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

id like to second 21st amendment. Close to Caltrain, great beer and food

Tags
meetup, san francisco, webos fans

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0