Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone here ever used a webOS device with one of those WiFi flash drives? The main reason I stopped using my Pre3 was because of the 8GB storage. So I'm wondering if I could put my music on a WiFi drive and listen to it on my Pre3.

    Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there a networked music app that would make it possible?
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
  2. MikeN68's Avatar
    Posts
    338 Posts
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    #2  
    Yes to the first question, but a) on the Touchpad an d) just to transfer data - not stream.

    The TP app is Network Drives or com.nelsun.networkdrives_1.0.2.all.ipk If anyone can get this on the Pre3 and 'patch' one of the very few music apps to stream it would be a godsend!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    Yes to the first question, but a) on the Touchpad an d) just to transfer data - not stream.

    The TP app is Network Drives or com.nelsun.networkdrives_1.0.2.all.ipk If anyone can get this on the Pre3 and 'patch' one of the very few music apps to stream it would be a godsend!
    Thanks for the info!

    I have this vague memory of a network music app for webOS, but I could be wrong.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
  4. #4  
    Subsonic

    was this one maybe ?
  5. #5  
    I feel like FF Music Player worked with the network drive mapper. I might remember wrong.. I do that more these days..
  6. #6  
    mmm I think I never saw FF Music Player ( ok, never saw XO, too :P ). And.. grabber5 ... is that an hint that you're getting older ? :P:P:P:P
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the suggestions Mazzinia and Grabber5.0. I guess i'll have to sneak a WiFi drive into my wife's Christmas order from Amazon and be the Guinea pig.

    On a completely unrelated note, how's the browser on your webOS TV, Grabber5.0? I'm thinking about upgrading to an LG TV.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
  8. #8  
    To be honest, I never use it. I use Nexflix the most, which is very good, and Amazon video.. I played with it a few times when I first got each TV (all three are now webOS TVs) but I always have a computer or phone near me, so there isn't much reason to ever use it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    ...but I always have a computer or phone near me, so there isn't much reason to ever use it.
    Does it have something like Miracast?
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    Does it have something like Miracast?
    It does. I have use it for youtube mostly. I think you can mirror the phone too, but not 100% positive. I do most casting to my Google Fiber TV boxes though. It may be I just need more practice.
  11. #11  
    There's the wifi samba app that lets you move stuff from a SMB drive to a webos device... but it sounds like you'd get more use out of a media streamer app like bhomepro... that finds the Plex server on my network and lets me stream any audio I want... x264 videos work, x265 don't.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Holst View Post
    There's the wifi samba app that lets you move stuff from a SMB drive to a webos device... but it sounds like you'd get more use out of a media streamer app like bhomepro... that finds the Plex server on my network and lets me stream any audio I want... x264 videos work, x265 don't.
    That's good to know. Thanks. I have a Synology DiskStation, so I could probably stream from a dropbox-ish folder mirrored to/from other devices. That could be quite useful.

    In any case, we've had a Windows htpc hooked to the TV for years. I was just wondering if it would still be necessary. Right now we use the browser for just about everything.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It does. I have use it for youtube mostly. I think you can mirror the phone too, but not 100% positive. I do most casting to my Google Fiber TV boxes though. It may be I just need more practice.
    Hmmm. The first little streaming device I ever bought had something where you could connect your phone or computer to the Youtube app on the streaming box. Sounds like the webOS Youtube app might be similar....
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    Hmmm. The first little streaming device I ever bought had something where you could connect your phone or computer to the Youtube app on the streaming box. Sounds like the webOS Youtube app might be similar....
    It does both. If you connect from your phone, the phone acts like a remote control for youtube - it's just like the Fiber TV box.. The app acts as a standalone YouTube app if you just open it directly on the TV. It supports sign-in, but I am not signed in on the TV in the living room.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    Thanks for the info!

    I have this vague memory of a network music app for webOS, but I could be wrong.
    There are at least 3 Ampache clients for webOS.

    Ampache requires setting up a web server, though.

    -- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
    There are at least 3 Ampache clients for webOS.

    Ampache requires setting up a web server, though.

    -- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Thanks. That could be useful at home. I suspect that you can't do much with the firmware on the WiFi flash drives, but you never know.

    I tried to use a synology music app with my DiskStation, but it appears to be too outdated. Maybe there's an ampache module for the Synology units.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
  17. #17  
    fwiw, I don't recall if XO worked well or at all on phones. I might've done some work on that, I just really don't remember. It's all publically available on my github, though, if anyone wants to have a look. ( http://www.github.com/ericblade/ )

    There's also no guarantee that it would work with a current version of the Subsonic server. It might, though! haven't tried it in years. I've been using Plex for all my network media stuff.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11/04/2017, 09:58 AM
  2. Krack hack fix for webOS?
    By Alan Morford in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10/22/2017, 01:27 AM
  3. webOS Doctor for Windsornot?
    By mcbeaven in forum Upcoming & Rumored webOS Devices
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10/19/2017, 12:11 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10/18/2017, 08:16 PM

Posting Permissions