Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Misj'
  1.    #1  
    Hello guys,

so, can we assume we will lose skype support starting from the 1st of July ?
    ( they are changing the service from p2p based to server based as for where messages are stored etc )
    Yes.. I got a sinking feeling a while back when MICRO$OFT purchased Skype, this was probably why!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  3.    #3  
    don't tell me about sinking feelings.
    skype is my main messaging client , with over 1000 contacts, but since changing ownership it kept being dismantled , ruined , and "colored". I don't know if you ever checked their forum, but it's full of complaints that just have never received a single word aside the occasional "we know what we do",,, seems to me that they employed a lot of new kids that are just changing things as they think is cool, and who cares what the clients think about it.
    It's full of people moving away from skype... and with good reasons.

Now they do this move to ideally get back people, and obviously this move is just to imitate more what others do.. pity that's such imitation that has caused all the issues, and adding more to it is not going to improve things.
    Skype has grown big, fat ( uses a lot of ram, and a lot of hd ), and hungry ( I have one core abused by it one day yes and one day no ).

Now lets take QQ ... it's small , uses not even 15mb of ram, uses close to no cpu, does a lot more than skype does, and since ages translates convos in various languages. It still handles moderation, has offline files stored for 7 days and I think rooms have no limits.
    ~~~

That's tough Bro! I'm Sorry!
    Will LuneOS eventually support Skype?

Perhaps if we, (everyone with a webOS device), all create one final Skype 'Mass-Conference' at Midday GMT on June 30th, the Server buried deep in the M'$oft basements will catch fire ~ and then spread?

~~~

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    There's always the security through obscurity option. We can still contact parts of the HP servers. If we ask MS to save us, I doubt they will, but they might forget to switch off webOS (I know, a long shot). Even if they forget, it might be the case that this announcement is because there is a breaking update due.

I hear MS are getting a bit Open-source happy (I thought I saw that they open-sourced windows, but that can't be right). I haven't heard that Skype is open, but it could happen maybe.

I gather LuneOS can support quite a lot of other options, but yes: We might be lucky and be forgotten, but probably not.

As for a mass Skype conference... We might spin the Skype webOS server up just enough to blow some dust off, but I doubt it would actually get warm!
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    skype is my main messaging client , with over 1000 contacts, but since changing ownership it kept being dismantled , ruined , and "colored". I don't know if you ever checked their forum, but it's full of complaints that just have never received a single word aside the occasional "we know what we do",,, seems to me that they employed a lot of new kids that are just changing things as they think is cool, and who cares what the clients think about it.
    It's full of people moving away from skype... and with good reasons.
    Hmm...I've been the exact opposite. I felt Skype - before MS bought it - was bloated junk (especially compared to other messaging apps). Nowadays I have to use Skype of Business and I have to say it has come a long way since then. It feels usable (not great, but certainly better than it was before MS took over). -- different people different tastes I guess
  7.    #7  
    ah, but skype for business is not the same as skype.
    skype for business is the old microsoft lync and effectively is an evolution of microsoft messenger. It just shares the network with skype, but it's a totally different beast
    Ok...so what you're telling me is that I felt was kinda okay (Skype for Business) is not really Skype. If that's the case I'm pretty sure I still hate (regular) Skype then.

Well, that makes sense. I hate a lot of things so that certainly fits my world-view. I hate for example when WebOS loses features because of 3rd parties messing about.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Hey webOS folks,
    I haven't used Skype in ages, but I'm about to head overseas where my CDMA frankenPre2 is useless as a phone, so I was hoping to have Skype available when I have wifi.

I'm running webOS 2.2.4 (meta-sprint-franken-verizon-pre2-2.2.4) and I hadn't setup my Skype account since the last trip to the doctor, so I set that up and successfully connected. I have passed a few messages and successfully made one short call (< 30 seconds), but I am constantly getting logged out. The last 3 calls I attempted I re-logged-in each time and by the time I was initiating a call (<20 seconds) I was logged out again.
    Does Skype work for anyone on 2.2.4 these days?
  10.    #10  
    bad, bad.

think we are starting to be affected by the changes in skype ( server side ). Last time I used it on the pre3 had no issues ( just some months ago ), while right now keep getting offline after 10 seconds logging in

Small update :
    skype seems having some quirks on the windows desktop, both here and with another person located in a different continent. So maybe today is not the right day to test the webos client due to maybe some glitches on the server side
    Last edited by mazzinia; 08/14/2017 at 06:27 AM.