Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys!(:

I'm on my Pixi Plus. I still enjoy using it as a backup phone almost as much as I did four years ago when it was my main phone.

Anyways, as more and more functions break in webOS, Facebook in the browser no longer allows you to add photo attachments to messages. The option is there, but selecting on "add photo" does nothing. Is there any way around this? I really would like to be able to send photos through Facebook again!

Thank you in advance! <3

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Are you using "x.facebook.com"? If so, try the low-end phone version "m.facebook.com"...
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    Are you using "x.facebook.com"? If so, try the low-end phone version "m.facebook.com"...
    I'm currently using the low end version): x.facebook.com just loads up lines of code):

I also have the Pixi Plus as my backup phone syncing contacts, email and calendar with Hotmail. All good but as you mention Facebook in the browser does not allow to upload photos as attachments or upload photos to your profile (as far as I know), I have not been able to find a workaround. Sorry for not being of any help.

Hopefully someone has the right answer!
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    The webOS browser doesn't support file uploads period, it's not a Facebook problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    xandros9 likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The webOS browser doesn't support file uploads period, it's not a Facebook problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    It used to. Hence me using the verb "break" which here means it was functioning at one point and it no longer does. Nice try though. (:

Which browser were you using, because I can affirm that the built in browser never supported file upload. Facebook might have supported attaching a photo from your already uploaded photos. I believe "A-Browser" had the upload ability (I may have even used it once -- or tried).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePixiLove View Post
    It used to. Hence me using the verb "break" which here means it was functioning at one point and it no longer does. Nice try though. (:

Trust me, that was one missing feature I knew about going in that I waited eagerly for them to implement, but it never happened. I even submitted it as a feature request on the developer forums - though I'm sure it was already on someone's to-do list, just never happened, I suppose partly due to pushing apps for everything. I fact, to work around it, I wrote a file upload app that would upload files to my website that I could then share as a link on other websites.

I was very disappointed to never see it happen in the webOS browser, especially since even lowly Windows Mobile 5 could do it. :/
    PrePixiLove likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Which browser were you using, because I can affirm that the built in browser never supported file upload. Facebook might have supported attaching a photo from your already uploaded photos. I believe "A-Browser" had the upload ability (I may have even used it once -- or tried).
    Guys I couldve sworn on my life that I could send photos... I VERY specifically remember a time when my main Android phone was out of reach so my lazy *** decided to use my Pixi (which just happened to be right nex to me lol) to send a photo to my friend on Facebook... The photo upload screen was basically the "photos" app except with an odd, plain white background.

There were two ways to upload photos to Facebook using webOS. One was the Facebook app (which I believe looked as you described), and the other was synergy integration with your Facebook account, which allowed you to upload to Facebook from the photos app. Well technically there were three, but the Facebook email address was a universal solution until they killed it. I'm not sure how long ago they killed that, but I've tried it a couple times recently without success.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    There were two ways to upload photos to Facebook using webOS. One was the Facebook app (which I believe looked as you described), and the other was synergy integration with your Facebook account, which allowed you to upload to Facebook from the photos app. Well technically there were three, but the Facebook email address was a universal solution until they killed it. I'm not sure how long ago they killed that, but I've tried it a couple times recently without success.
    Do you think they killed it in their never-dying effort to literally force everyone to use their extremely privacy invasive and obnoxious Messenger app?

Yeah, you probably were using the FB app. I worked on the browser at Palm and I *know* it lacked file upload support. :/

As for the "whys" for FB... Yeah, probably the "use our app" reason....... :/

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Did you know:

PrePixiLove likes this.
    Do you think they killed it in their never-dying effort to literally force everyone to use their extremely privacy invasive and obnoxious Messenger app?

FB apparently just broke their promise / altered their TOS about not sharing whatsapp numbers and contacts with FB.

WhatsApp flashes volte-face at world, will serve ads in Facebook-owned app | Ars Technica

You started this thread about using it, but it's still a choice (though I gather there are even 'Ghost' profiles of non-users on there).
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/29/2016 at 08:26 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Yeah, you probably were using the FB app. I worked on the browser at Palm and I *know* it lacked file upload support. :/

As for the "whys" for FB... Yeah, probably the "use our app" reason....... :/

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Would you mind sharing a reason why the Palm team didn't just implement file upload...? It seems so basic... Almost a given... Especially on such a web-centric platform marketed as "webOS"...

Would you mind sharing a reason why the Palm team didn't just implement file upload...? It seems so basic... Almost a given... Especially on such a web-centric platform marketed as "webOS"...

I don't know the specific reasons, but I imagine it is because the priority list was a big one. The WebKit in webOS was branched in mid-2008 and so it became a process of chasing bugs and down-porting changes from Apple's upstream into the webOS source. During 2010 there was the huge push for the TouchPad and Pre3/Veer (and at the time, "Catfish", the webOS 2.2.* branch for the phones was kind of ignored to get "Dartfish", 3.0.*, on the TP going). I know "Daiquiri" (I think this was going to be like 3.1.* or 3.something) was supposed to be a BIG improvement and get the code to a more modern version of WebKit. This was the first half of 2011. Then we all know what happened from there.....

Anyway, I think it was just not a high item on the list. Being underneath stability/resource bugs and modernization. :/

Really wish 2011 had been a completely different year for webOS (and me -- I kind of wish I had pushed harder to stay on the WebKit team -- but that is a long story for another rainy day).
    Last edited by dkirker; 10/03/2016 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Remove double quote
    Did you know:

16.    #16  
    I don't know the specific reasons, but I imagine it is because the priority list was a big one. The WebKit in webOS was branched in mid-2008 and so it became a process of chasing bugs and down-porting changes from Apple's upstream into the webOS source. During 2010 there was the huge push for the TouchPad and Pre3/Veer (and at the time, "Catfish", the webOS 2.2.* branch for the phones was kind of ignored to get "Dartfish", 3.0.*, on the TP going). I know "Daiquiri" (I think this was going to be like 3.1.* or 3.something) was supposed to be a BIG improvement and get the code to a more modern version of WebKit. This was the first half of 2011. Then we all know what happened from there.....

Anyway, I think it was just not a high item on the list. Being underneath stability/resource bugs and modernization. :/

Really wish 2011 had been a completely different year for webOS (and me -- I kind of wish I had pushed harder to stay on the WebKit team -- but that is a long story for another rainy day).
    So, 2011 would have been a revamp of under-the-hood webOS functions?

Was 2012 going to be the huge UI revamping webOS was planned to receive? I remember a leak showing webOS with a completely redesigned UI, showing off "minimalism" (again, something webOS pioneered... The move away from the god-awful skeumorphism trend).

Was 2012 going to be the huge UI revamping webOS was planned to receive? I remember a leak showing webOS with a completely redesigned UI, showing off "minimalism" (again, something webOS pioneered... The move away from the god-awful skeumorphism trend).

The lost secrets of webOS | The Verge

It was def in the process! Not sure if that was going to be the final of it -- Mochi as you see there was at least the early stages.
    Did you know:

Hi you can use Spinka app is very useful for facebook and others apps how flickr too

Enviado desde mi SM-G800H mediante Tapatalk