Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    hi all,

i'm trying to set up forwarding and i'm just mental blocked right now. Please help if you're familiar with this kind of configuration.

what i have:

1. Home number from Sprint, on Pre2
    2. Work number from ATT, on Veer
    3. Google voice number, paired to work gmail
    4. Skype account, paired to GV

what i want to do:

- Forward calls AND TEXTS from Sprint to the Veer, so I carry only work phone but don't miss calls and texts from home phone.

HOW??

- i set up *28 to forward calls. it doesn't seem to forward texts.

has anyone done this successfully? i'm ok with receiving the texts in gmail, skype, google voice, whatever. i just cant figure out how to link them up.

thank you.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    There is no way to forward text messages on webOS 2.x. I never got very far with it, but I do think I identified where / how it would need to be patched in (if I can ever find it again. I hope I left bread crumbs, and the crows didn't eat them.) You could activate a 1.4.5 Sprint Pre and use my app.
  3.    #3  
    Sprint CS informs me that they do not auto-forward text messages the way they do with calls, using *28.

She did suggest I could use google voice and pair my Sprint number to it, then it would receive forwarded calls and texts.

but the google voice site shows i can only port my number from sprint. which would close my account there. they want $20 to do it too.

that's no good, i'd lose my unlimited data. how is porting a good idea at all?
    I don't recommend you do either one. Maybe now that someone really wants this, I'll finally work on it some more.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Are you suggesting a solution where the handset forwards the call or text, instead of the carrier network?

Because I've now noticed the veer offers a call forward toggle switch in its preferences whereas the Pre2 does not.( I assumed differences in cdma vs gsm phone app) so this is a new idea to me...

This would require the home handset to be left on (and charging)?
    I'm ok with that.

Just fyi: I read elsewhere that someone solved their droid device's issue of no incoming mms group or picmail on t-mo, by manipulating IPV4/6 settings. I don't know what webOS IPv is our how it relates though.
    Yeah, that is a gsm thing from what I can tell. For my app (on 1.X) to forward text messages, the phone has to be on and the app open and enabled. For 2.x, I never got anywhere with the app or a patch, but I did finally figure out how to handle the send when I was working on importing old conversations onto a new device. A little late I guess, but I hate to give up on it.
  7.    #7  
    OMG so sick of people telling me to get a new phone when i say i can't install Hangouts app!

that's not a solution to a problem, that's side-stepping a problem. not the same. i guess for them the way to solve a puzzle is to instead watch tv.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 02/02/2016 at 01:53 PM.
    that and Hangouts SUCKS
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  9.    #9  
    fyi: read somewhere else that sprint does not forward MMS, even through GV. they suggest using hangouts. d'oh!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    fyi: read somewhere else that sprint does not forward MMS, even through GV. they suggest using hangouts. d'oh!
    I never tried to forward MMS either. I do send notifications of them and include the text portion (I think) which would cover group chats that many devices send as MMS messages. I didn't want to figure out how to deal with attachments.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/02/2016 at 03:38 PM.
  11.    #11  
    SOLVED! Kinda...

apparently i aggravated someone with all my negative feedback on the Sprint site. Someone called ME to ask what's up. I told them, and they still say Sprint doesn't forward texts. So i asked for help with the Google "integration" which wasn't showing as an option with my sprint number.

After two transfers, i got a competent tech. She removed some kind of block on the account, and instantly i was able to integrate.

Now i have the Pre2 and Veer, on TStones, each mounted to a bed post. They chime in stereo for calls AND TEXTS.

I'VE EVEN RECEIVED PICTURE MAIL!

I still must test that, because the pictures chime in on a random google number, since they're forwarded. When i reply to that source number, I'm able to send pic mail back. But I'm not sure if those numbers are temporary or if i can save them to communicate with that contact in future messages. I'll do more testing with a volunteer in the same room to make it easier.

The success came from another T-Mo subscriber. Another sprint phone sender failed. So it may be restricted by T-Mo's network still.

But it's progress. Amazing how some people will swear things cannot be done, while others simply make them happen.
    The google voice integration always scared me. Partly because my employee line is free and I don't want anything to screw it up or cause me to lose my number. Keep us posted.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The google voice integration always scared me. Partly because my employee line is free and I don't want anything to screw it up or cause me to lose my number. Keep us posted.
    It you attempt it i will warn this:

At the gv site, you plug in your sprint number and tell them keep it, vs get new. They then give you options. On my first attempt it only offered porting, for $20. DON'T DO THAT. don't give Google your number. I had to call sprint and once she made a correction to my account, the option to integrate magically appeared.

And that's something you can reverse and keep your sprint number any time. I did it when i changed my mind which gmail i wanted it attached to.