Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    That's because it wasn't his idea, he he
    Honestly, I kind of wonder exactly how much of it really was his work. Perhaps he set the vision, and perhaps created the initial renderings, but someone at his level is NOT doing the grunt work. If he is, he's the highest paid designer and graphic artist on the planet. :P
    Good discussion points here!

I wish we were in the same room, so we could use live devices to demonstrate our points. My old chemistry teacher used to say "a picture's worth a thousand words, but a demo's worth a million."

I could illustrate dozens of shortcomings in the android system. Most have to do with the interface we use, this stupid glass keyboard.

But i don't enjoy discussing my frustrations with this necessary evil. And it's becoming apparent that Matie may be a great designer, but he isn't leading droid in the direction that appeals to US. So it's a moot point for me.

If we had several iterations of webOS by now, if we were up to webOS 6.0 by now, yes it could have moved away from what we enjoy most as well. Just like Jim Morrison or Kurt Cobain could have become horrible lounge singers in their old age. So we may love the OS more because it was frozen in time.

But smart design stands on its own feet and endures. It's why webOS 2.x still "works". There's definitely a better way to do what we do with mobile devices. And as of right now, none of the devices available are hitting the bulls eye. Which is kinda sad considering how webOS was well on target. But that may not have been Duarte's lead. It could have been Rubie's influence, or the guys who went (then left) to LG to do the watch.

In the end, it's irrelevant. I'm struggling to make my Veer a daily driver, and failing miserably.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    ktessner likes this.
    Make a demonstration video and put it on YouTube.
    TJs11thPre and GoJoe2 like this.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Would be an interesting thing to have a wiki with dos and don'ts in mobile UI world. I was always wondering, how could you improve on productivity of mobile handsets. And I always have the feeling that I'm missing something or that a feature was certainly there before, probably on Symbian, palmOS, BBOS7, WinMobile or bada, maemo, meego, brew, moblin or what have you.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
    Would be an interesting thing to have a wiki with dos and don'ts in mobile UI world. I was always wondering, how could you improve on productivity of mobile handsets. And I always have the feeling that I'm missing something or that a feature was certainly there before, probably on Symbian, palmOS, BBOS7, WinMobile or bada, maemo, meego, brew, moblin or what have you.
    As a starting point I would say to first read the Zen of Palm. This is pre-iPhone, pre-WebOS, etc. So this is really about the original Palm devices.

When you've read it you will notice, that a. Apple never adhered to the Zen with the iPhone and decided that certain compromises were too limiting for their vision (battery life and price to name two) so they decided to go a different route and others followed suit. This is not an accusation but an observation. And b. that WebOS also isn't perfectly Zen (though possibly more than the two big-ones in my opinion).

Now maybe this document is from a different era (it sure is), but I think it's a good starting point when thinking about it. Plus its just an interesting read.
    I really don't see anything in androd wothy of so much praise for Duarte. I can't even figure out how to delete or rearrange launcher pages. And chrome I am not figuring out where is the setting to open new tabs in the foreground

Edit: Fixed it by installing opera
    Last edited by laingman; 12/31/2015 at 06:57 PM.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12