Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    ... That I'd be using my Pre2 one year from now!

Was i crazy?

I suggested that my friend was basically wagering that the hardware would fail, as there would be no reason for me to choose to stop using it as long as it still worked. Of course Google could finally lock us out permanently.

Then someone mentioned that new BB with the slider keyboard.

I wonder if this little phone WILL make it another year in service? OR if I'll actually move on. Seemed like a fun bet. Anyone else want in, just for fun, nothing to lose? Check back in 365 days and see who's still here?
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I'll be here, got enough spares laying around :-) Hopefully the new BB comes with an unlockable boot loader. Would be a great LuneOS target.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I think you will be here. Me too, but its gonna be really lonely.
    jccjmml7 and TJs11thPre like this.
    I don't know, I see the end coming for me. The duct tape on my Pre3 is getting funky and the google thing is a big deal. For now, I'm just enjoying the ride down.

Big thing is where would I go? The family has Iphones and that system makes me feel claustrophobic. I'm using Win10 on my PC and I'm starting to like it. Maybe I'll look that way. Who'd a thunk?

Wait, what kind of beer? That could affect my decision!
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    I don't know, I see the end coming for me. The duct tape on my Pre3 is getting funky and the google thing is a big deal. For now, I'm just enjoying the ride down.

Big thing is where would I go? The family has Iphones and that system makes me feel claustrophobic. I'm using Win10 on my PC and I'm starting to like it. Maybe I'll look that way. Who'd a thunk?

Wait, what kind of beer? That could affect my decision!
    l agree, windows for consistency. lf apps are ok
  6.    #6  
    I'm still using win7 on pc. I'd be very surprised if MS could ever get it together, and offer a mobile product that would sway users like us. And I'd love to be surprised, believe me. If i can avoid the A's, i will. I really dislike both companies and the UX they offer.

The BB option seems like the most promising in years. But it's still a brick, not a river rock.

The beer was winner's choice! are you in?
    poehoes likes this.
    A little off topic, I recall in the mid 2000s when Blackberry was king they had some kinda major problem with their system network, whatever. A good number people not knowing how long it was going to be panicked and went out and tried palm treos, What I distinctly remember is that I heard on NPR and read in the WSJ how they thought the treo was actually better than the BB, It out emails the Blackberry one said
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    so I kept dropping pre3's and breaking the screens. I learned how to replace them. earlier this year, however, my latest pre3 had charging port issues while I was on the road working. I bought 2 more touchstones--one for the car and one for the hotel..that sorta worked, plus I could always keep another battery charged by using a dead phone.

I finally, after much soul searching, decided to try another phone... I got the S6active.. then I filed an insurance claim and they sent me a BB classic ( I had 2 lines)--man, phones are expensive without the company subsidies.

My 2nd phone previously was a windows phone (older). I activated the BB as a 3rd line, since it only costs $15/mo with ATT..

I now use the active as my daily driver, the windows phone is still #2 and the plan was to experiment with the BB, but I have yet to do so. it does feel like a well made machine, but the interface is a little awkward to me.

The android's hardware is awesome (except for the no physical keyboard, which is a must for me) while I find android awkward also, even after a couple months daily use.

I said I would get another pre3, but with the current pricing, I prob won't. I wish the S6 was a touch smaller and had a slider...and ran webos! I did see where the new s6 has a physical keyboard option..
    oh yeah.
    so while I said "i don't need a lot of apps"...group texting, the smart home apps that control my thermostats, security system and cameras and and some of the other convenience apps makes it unlikely I will return to webos until LG gets its act together. I still watch every day for the watch urbane lte to be released in the usa..
    Quote Originally Posted by homer14z View Post
    so I kept dropping pre3's and breaking the screens. I learned how to replace them. earlier this year, however, my latest pre3 had charging port issues while I was on the road working. I bought 2 more touchstones--one for the car and one for the hotel..that sorta worked, plus I could always keep another battery charged by using a dead phone.
    Homer, Do you have any spare Pre3 backs laying around? Mine is shot and I don't have any buttons, so if one of your shattered screens left an orphan back, let's talk!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    The beer was winner's choice! are you in?
    Definitely!
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Hi,

beer sounds good
    I switched from a palm centro (which still sits beside my bed as alarmclock) go a pre3 and use that since 3 years now. As it does all that I need (big thanks to this forum!), I have no intention to switch. I wouldn't know where to. A big plus for me is, that I don't use google
    I also still use my TP4G daily, but the dying of flash and the inability to play html5 videos is annoying. Not enough to switch yet, however.

UW
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrSchwarz5 View Post
    I also still use my TP4G daily, but the dying of flash and the inability to play html5 videos is annoying. Not enough to switch yet, however.

UW
    LuneOS should solve that. I believe it's HTML5test score is already quite high.
  14.    #14  
    Yeah for the moment my Tpad is a desktop clock with AccuWeather in constant exhibition mode. Really sucks i can't watch video on it at all now.

When LuneOS releases a final version, I'll try it. Hopefully the battery and screen will still work by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    LuneOS should solve that. I believe it's HTML5test score is already quite high.
    We were at 390 or something with QtWebkit on QT 5.4.2.

We're currently in the process of upgrading to QT 5.5 with QtWebEngine and the improvement is dramatic, 492! There will be a few minor setbacks while we migrate, but overall it supports a lot more!

Legacy checked in < 300 last time html5test.com was working on it

Expect something nice in the new nightlies and release
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I'll be here, got enough spares laying around :-) Hopefully the new BB comes with an unlockable boot loader. Would be a great LuneOS target.

LuneOS coming to the Priv would probably be the only reason I'd pick one up. I'm not interested in an Android BlackBerry as much as I love my Passport.

I carry a Pre3 around with me almost every day along with my TouchPad Go so while it's not my "daily driver" I'm sure I'll still be using them in a year. That said I wish I would go through with my idea to go back to the Pre3 as my daily driver for a week. I think it would be fun.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    It's so depressing to look at what is available, while hoping our hardware doesn't fail or our critical cloud services stop working with webOS... Android and iOS are so painful to look at and frustrating in different ways. Something has to disrupt the big two. The small players now aren't making any progress.

Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    Homer, Do you have any spare Pre3 backs laying around? Mine is shot and I don't have any buttons, so if one of your shattered screens left an orphan back, let's talk!
    Pretty hard on the backs too, lol.. sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It's so depressing to look at what is available, while hoping our hardware doesn't fail or our critical cloud services stop working with webOS... Android and iOS are so painful to look at and frustrating in different ways. Something has to disrupt the big two. The small players now aren't making any progress.

I just read that someone may be trying to start an investigation into Google having a monopoly position.. Ah! here:
    Is Android a monopoly? | The Verge

As you can see, in a world where Goggle gives it's services for free and Apple, MS & even Blackberry are still going, it's hard to argue it's a monopoly, but clearly their dominance in the 'off-the-shelf-mobile-OS' market is steam rolling everyone else. Blackberry feels obliged to offer an Android device (& Nokia were doing the same before the MS buyout). It's Ironic that we are hoping this will bring us an unlocked boot-loader for LuneOS to be ported!

If there is a conclusion of monopoly, the likely outcome would be to break up Google play services - which is arguably bundling of the sort that MS did with IE on windows to kill Netscape (now known as Mozilla Firefox).

It seems fairly obvious that LG with webOS and Samsung with Tizen have hedges against Google throwing it's weight around. People complain about OEM preinstalled 'crapware', but at least in the case of Samsung, I gather these are actually alternatives to the stock apps (email, calendar etc) should the play store get pulled.

Despite these insurance policies, neither company is ditching Google on mobile - why risk it as long as the benefits out weigh the the downside? There wasn't much Google in the TV sector and both manufacturers are using their own systems on TVs.

One place where disruption may occur is from China: Google pulled out a while back and the Chinese have built their own eco-system on AOSP. They could start offering their own services to the west, but then everyone would probably still just install play services...

Of course, we could say that webOS is popular with it's users and Preware already has multiple feeds. The apps are apparently easy to develop... but FirefoxOS, SailfishOS & Ubuntu all have actual companies, employees and budgets behind them!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/30/2015 at 11:38 AM.
  20.    #20  
    Primary problem is US market consumers LOVE a two party system. Thank politics, thank the NFL, whatever. But most US consumers cannot handle making an intelligent decision when options >2. They prefer to CHOOSE SIDES for an US v. THEM debate. This frustrates me severely.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast