Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    I use a Bluetooth stereo headset daily with Apollo. Recently I've experienced a new circumstance leading to new questions. If anyone understands the Bluetooth functionality, I'd appreciate your input.

Typically Bluetooth works as it should with Pandora or the OEM music player. But Apollo usually has an issue, audio will not come through to the BT headset unless i trick it, by starting the music player and letting a song isolated in its own folder come to its end. (Somehow Apollo audio would continue indefinitely doing it this way, you just can't use the headset's pause button, as it simultaneously unpauses the oem player. )

Recently i was playing apollo through an external speaker connected to the headset jack. ( We all know the jack has problems. Mine is usually that plugging in the 3.5mm will stop audio and trigger the phone app, like it wants to make a voice activated call. But just hanging up will then cause music to play correctly)

My recent combination of using wired "headset" output and BT at the same time, and fighting with the faulty jack, somehow got the audio to finally work correctly! Apollo played over BT without the other music app open!

- Plug in, audio switched to the speaker, and no attempted voice dial!
    - pull out, audio switched to back speaker
    - press play/pause on BT headset, audio came through!

And i could repeat this. The system was for the first time, working as it should!!!

It worked correctly for a full week, but has now returned to previous, and requires the music app in its standby state again.

How can this be? What is happening? Is there a way to observe in some terminal window, what it's doing as it decides where to send audio? I would love to bench test this but don't know how to observe as it's happening.

When the condition is in fail, using the audioswitcher had no effect. Bluetooth channel is silent when toggling between BT, headset, and back speaker.

Meanwhile, my BT app has a recurring issue where it thinks it's connected even though it isn't. Icon shows full white like connected, but headset makes the disconnect chime, frequently after closing a phone call. It doesn't even recognize if the headset is switched off! I must then fight with the BT app, struggling to switch it off and minimizing/maximizing the app's card until it eventually toggles off. Then i can switch it on and re-pair.

I really need this to function. Commercial free Pandora (through the Apollo app because Pandora constantly pauses even with the patch) is the #1 reason I've stayed with webOS. Please help if you can! Thanks!
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 09/16/2015 at 01:22 PM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I don't know what is appolo and don't use pandora. From my experiences when bt shows connected but no sound what I do is make a dummy call and hang up and that normally solves it. Also sometimes the bt profile sometimes become "corrupt" and the device needs to be deleted and repaired.

Sorry couldn't be of more help

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I don't know what is appolo and don't use pandora. From my experiences when bt shows connected but no sound what I do is make a dummy call and hang up and that normally solves it. Also sometimes the bt profile sometimes become "corrupt" and the device needs to be deleted and repaired.

Sorry couldn't be of more help

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yes i use both of those tricks as workarounds. But I'd like to watch what the bt is doing. Can it be corrected?

Also, i just found out Pandora is flagging accounts using Apollo and jamming broken tracks down our throats. Cruel.
  4.    #4  
    What do you use? I've heard of Spotify but didnt save that ipk so never tried it.
    Basically Spotify as it started out lets you stream music and create playlists or even sync your local mp3 files, while pandora is more like radio playing random songs based on what you tell them you like or what they think you will like. Both are evolving and adding features so I am not sure what the latest phone version of both are like now. The desktop version of spotify has the radio function and stuff too. There is no such function on the phone although recently I see a new "Discover Weekly" playlist now.

I have the ipk, but only the premium version works on phones and is around $10 per month. It can also be installed on the touchpad with some patching. You can always check out the free version on your pc

There are no bt issues with the spotify app, maybe you can give it try for a month if music is that important to you. Ten dollars is ten dollars, depends on how much one is going to use it I suppose

As for the Spotify app itself, its OK. It uses that ugly spotify dark theme ( I have been meaning to skin my desktop app forever), but what drives me crazy it does not pause on bt disconnect and it is not possible to repeat one song. Only way to do it is to make a playlist with just the one song. They probly overlooked those details and would have fixed it if webos had lasted. Has me missing nanplayer tho
    Last edited by laingman; 09/17/2015 at 06:36 AM.
  6.    #6  
    if i have to make playlists, it may not work well for me. i want the music to be chosen for me, not me choose it for myself. you know, like radio, but with all music you actually like.
    TJ - Spotify has plenty of pre-made playlists, so if you pick one based on your music taste, it isn't bad. They update the content of the playlists periodically, so they aren't stuck with the same songs forever. I have made a few playlists of artists and albums I like, but mostly I favorited some of the pre-made playlists.
    I see the webOS app doesn't have the radio option, though Spotify does do this.
    https://play.spotify.com is the web player - which doesn't work on the TP, but I haven't tried a User Agent patch...

Even if that 'works', I wouldn't bet on the old browser. Maybe the LuneOS one..? Tweakable UAs in that could open up many possibilities...
    TJs11thPre likes this.