Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi, just wondering if Skype is still working for the Pre 3. If so are you able to sign in with your Microsoft account email address? Thanks a ton, I miss the wonderful integration that WebOS brought with Skype.
    Quote Originally Posted by floppyedonkey View Post
    Hi, just wondering if Skype is still working for the Pre 3. If so are you able to sign in with your Microsoft account email address? Thanks a ton, I miss the wonderful integration that WebOS brought with Skype.

As of a couple of weeks ago, the answers were, yes, it is still working, and no, you cannot sign in with a Microsoft email. You need an actual skype account to sign in.

One annoyance to me was that any im's I entered via the WebOS messages client do not become part of my skype chat history. So if you go into the regular desktop skype client, it looks like your contacts have been talking to themselves.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Okay, I got back on my Pre3 today, and I can't seem to send or receive messages via Skype. Just a status update. I don't know if it will auto-magically start working again or not.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    Okay, I got back on my Pre3 today, and I can't seem to send or receive messages via Skype. Just a status update. I don't know if it will auto-magically start working again or not.
    It seems like HP Touchpad doesn't seem to connect properly sometimes messages are received showing the notification yet my skype contacts report that I show that I'm offline. I haven't tested on my Palm Pre 3 phone just yet.... I will report later.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    that could be a "coincidence". I've strange things like messages spinning and appear undelivered, but that are instead correctly delivered, on skype on windows.
    I have been trying to get a new (to me) Pre3 up and running. I wanted to add my Skype account. Skype isn't an option when I go to my "preferences and accounts" under the phone app. I also cannot find skype under accounts.

Is this one of those things that I can't setup without HP synergy working from the cloud?

Kind of a bummer if I can't use the phone for skype.

I thought Skype support was integral to webOS 2.2.4 (what the Pre3 came with) so I am a but puzzled.

Any advice? Trying to keep webOS going after dropping and breaking the screen on my prior Pre3.

Jim
    Have you tried adding it as an account in the messaging app?

I don't think the phone app has accounts as such - it's the SIM card and the numbers. (Wrong!)

I don't use it much, but messaging, calls and video calling works (last time I tried). EDIT, oh, I just checked and there is a Skype account in the phone app... Hmmm... I've got a funny idea that skype was an update or was updated (Unlike other phones, the Pre 3 has a front facing camera). I imagine this would be included in a doctor, but maybe there's final unreleased version or maybe you are correct, that HP support is needed for setup, but I don't recall any special process.

Is your phone running what it came with? When was it activated? Is it new or previously owned? Has it ever been doctored?

You could try searching the forums and articles here to see if there's any backround information on Skype.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/08/2015 at 09:44 PM.
    I just checked my Skype account in settings and it is grayed out. Can not change login settings can only remove account. There is a note just below the account name stating " This account type is not available on your device". It did work at one time, but I have not used it in 4 months or so. Just thought I would try it after seeing this thread and no go.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
    Well, my skype account in settings has no greyed out parts. I can change login settings without issues ( pre3 2.2.4 )
    Seems Ok here - including echo test. I wasn't seeing any contacts, but now see one - maybe everyone was offline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    I have been trying to get a new (to me) Pre3 up and running. I wanted to add my Skype account. Skype isn't an option when I go to my "preferences and accounts" under the phone app. I also cannot find skype under accounts.

Is this one of those things that I can't setup without HP synergy working from the cloud?

Kind of a bummer if I can't use the phone for skype.

I thought Skype support was integral to webOS 2.2.4 (what the Pre3 came with) so I am a but puzzled.

Any advice? Trying to keep webOS going after dropping and breaking the screen on my prior Pre3.

Jim
    I would say you need to install the Skype ipk? I remember it was in the HP catalog and that you had to download it if the Skype option was not available in the accounts app. You could try getting the ipk from the Pre3 doctors mentioned in this post: INSTALLING SKYPE ON ATT Pre 3
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    Preemptive likes this.
    I purchased an AT&T Pre3 and was told it was new. I think it was used for a bit, but it was in a factory new state from what I could tell.

It wouldn't update the preware google maps, so I did a doctor with webosdoctoropr224mantaatt.jar. I assume this would put it into a usable new state.

It seemed to make it work better and I have been installing apps for a couple of days.

I took some advice and looked for the Skype IPK and couldn't find it.

I thought Skype was part of the OS, particularly since I used version 2.2.4, but in this case it doesn't seem like it is.

Maybe I'll try a doctor again. Perhaps I accidentally doctored it with the unlocked/non-AT&T version.

Jim
    I have a pre3 that I skipped first use on and in the accounts, add account, Skype is there as one of the selections.
    My daily drive that I have problems with was never "skipped first use" it was always on HPs cloud servers. Could it be, phones that never were skipped had a link broke when the HP servers went down, and Skype needed that link? I made a Skype IPK file from the old phone and installed it. I get the icon but would only give me a white screen when launched. Rebooted the phone and the icon was gone. I still have no Skype in the accounts setup too...
    Quote Originally Posted by KURT B View Post
    I have a pre3 that I skipped first use on and in the accounts, add account, Skype is there as one of the selections.
    My daily drive that I have problems with was never "skipped first use" it was always on HPs cloud servers. Could it be, phones that never were skipped had a link broke when the HP servers went down, and Skype needed that link? I made a Skype IPK file from the old phone and installed it. I get the icon but would only give me a white screen when launched. Rebooted the phone and the icon was gone. I still have no Skype in the accounts setup too...
    Kurt- I think you might be on to something. My old Pre2 which has no sim card in it still lets me log into skype. So there is something there.

I also just doctored my new Pre3 with the att 2.2.4 and still no skype.

Maybe I can figure this out.
    argh, my bad, skype is indeed downloaded after the first use, automatically.

here's the package com.palm.app.skype.1.0.3
    http://1drv.ms/1hZS5zV

and the official bing maps package
    com.palm.app.maps_3.1.32_all
    http://1drv.ms/1OeHWfi
    Last edited by mazzinia; 09/10/2015 at 03:21 AM.
    Jim P likes this.
    So if I'm reading correctly...
    1. Skype isn't in every doctor (Y/N?)
    2. Nor is Bing maps?
    3. Both were downloaded from HP after activation / first use.

If this is correct, it seems odd. Perhaps it was a requirement of Microsoft or perhaps it was simply a case of updates that never made it to updated doctors due to the Apotheclypse.

Perhaps this is a newly discovered issue we will need to find a work around for.

Actually, it seems some are saying Skype is working on 'skipped first use' devices. I guess the question of when the set up occured might be relevant - before or after the shut down.

More theories:
    • Certain carriers might not have liked Skype, so not included it, though it might have been available in the HP catalog.
    • Operation might rely on some link to the HP servers (seems unlikely and unnecessary)

Some combination of that lot might explain why some seem to have Skype and some not and why it seems to be working for some, but not others. I haven't actually communicated with anyone outside 'echo' recently.

Perhaps further posts should include OS version, region and carrier information to clarify. I'm EU unlocked 2.2.4.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/10/2015 at 08:02 AM.
    All my Pre3s are ATT, the skip first use was done after shutdown. I don't remember if I doctored it. I have 2 other Pre3s I can run some tests on. 1 start up with just first use, check Skype. 2 complete erase, doctor, first use, and then see if Skype works.
    Any other tests I should try? The skip first use is jut on wifi no sim. I will put the sim in tonight to see what happens.

All 2.2.4, 16G, North America. running on T-Mobile.
    Last edited by KURT B; 09/10/2015 at 08:12 AM.
    maybe it's simpler if we check the doctors, it should show which packages are inside. (EU pre3, here)
    Anyway the skype ipk WAS in the app catalog, alongside the new maps (bing), and the app catalog update itself, and all 3 got downloaded when I run the script using my pre3 tokens

About bing maps, remember that originally that was not the distribution included with the doctors. They "upgraded" it on the fly from google to bing maps
    I may be wrong, but skype seems correctly integrated inside both the 2.2.0 and 2.2.4 doctors for pre3 eu, that I have

Inside the verizon 2.2.5 pre3 doctor, instead, skype is added in a less integrated way... they used that IPK that I provided, but preinstalled inside the doctor. The differences are big.
    I don't have other doctors to examine
    FYI, I just had a Skype chat with Alan Morford - so that works. He also pointed out a preference for showing offline contacts. That's why I wasn't seeing anyone unless they were connected. In summary, everything seems normal & working for me. I have not reset or doctored since the shutdown.

I would guess therefore that installations prior to April 15th 2015 should still be working and the HP servers are not required for operation.

It seems Skype can be extracted from a doctor, so the remaining question is if it can be setup. If not, then there could be some communication with HP required or it's a problem with Skype itself - but I'd assume that would affect me also.

Oh, I have been getting one error - for some time. A second or so after sending I get an alert sound - it's my own message coming back to me. So I have a separate conversation consisting solely of my half of the first chat! I can't see any setting for getting copies (it's illogical: I already have a copy). I don't appear in my own contacts list, so it doesn't seem that I'm somehow 'following' myself...

Grateful for any suggestions - I guess I'd have seen a post if anyone else was getting this issue.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/10/2015 at 09:29 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast