Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Uia! 3.500???

I have some IPKs from my devices, too... Pre Classic, Pre 2, Veer, Pre 3 & Touchpad... I can send to some web drive, if can help to create something...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Well I have about 3500 IPK's of free apps laying around for the different devices
    So how can we access these apps?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    So how can we access these apps?
    I'm not the copyrightholder so I'm not allowed to share them, but you know my Skype :-P

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    deibski likes this.
    So my thought was let the dust settle, then discuss with the community, hosting a web/file share site with the intent on hosting the files, publish what files we have (but not the files), request any copyright holder to respond if they do not respond post their IPK, EXE, Doctor files etc..

This can be done many different ways, a user would upload content, the content would be matched with existing content, once matched the user is then allowed to download the content (kind of like a safe store)? But a user would only be allowed to download what they have uploaded (so kind of a cloud storage)?

The site can host all files and be downloaded by anyone?

The site can host only free files, while the paid files are like the safe store?

Assume if the copyright holder really cares they can ask to remove the file from the site or not to publish their files...

If they do not respond then are we in violation?

I have seen other hosting sites do this, get asked to take down the file and they comply (DCMA)?

Is this something doable?
    Last edited by John Steffes; 04/22/2015 at 04:47 PM.
    You should read the Preware article on pivotCE that published today.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    It's interesting that we are directing some who showed up too late to the Internet Archive for doctor files and devicetool.jar. These utilities were freely available for download from HP and are now hosted there. It seems the archive crawls the web and takes a copy of what it finds unless the robots.txt tells it not to. Copyright holders are entitled to request that material is taken down.

So, free apps were once hosted by HP for download and we have all downloaded some (and some have downloaded them all!). Perhaps it would be worth studying the T&Cs and considering if such a policy would be of use, although I favour asking permission first (at least a reasonable effort at contact). If by some miracle, LuneOS really takes off, authors should retain their rights - they could even switch their apps from free to paid if the user base became profitable.
    While we collect publicly available Internet documents, sometimes authors and publishers express a desire for their documents not to be included in the Collections (by tagging a file for robot exclusion or by contacting us or the original crawler group). If the author or publisher of some part of the Archive does not want his or her work in our Collections, then we may remove that portion of the Collections without notice.
    4000ish apps is a drop in the ocean compared to iOS or Android, but for a 'new' OS like LuneOS, it's a good number to have out of the gate.

Then there is the question of paid apps. Some of these are just gone for contractual reasons, but we can still ask. Many quality apps are now free in the app gallery. The next step will be to find some way to have a payment system, which might bring others on board and importantly, NEW apps. This brings legal responsibilities of course. Perhaps a commercial partner would consider offering that service and splitting the profit with webOS Ports? There was/is one company offering an additional app mall... but I suspect relationships aren't great there... Maybe PIC themselves? Phoenix International Communications Store They have a store.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/22/2015 at 08:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Well I have about 3500 IPK's of free apps laying around for the different devices
    I didn't know there were even this many apps available!

Is there any project to host all these apps somewhere else so if the shutdown happens, they will still be archived outside of the HP servers?
    Quote Originally Posted by inspire_tek View Post
    I didn't know there were even this many apps available!

Is there any project to host all these apps somewhere else so if the shutdown happens, they will still be archived outside of the HP servers?
    Shutdown has happened!

Useful for now anyway:

App Gallery | webOS Nation

Preware Catalog

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Hello,

Since the servers are down I recognized that the power consumption has grown. The battery drains quite quickly. Is anyone here who has the same problem?

Kind regards

Fred :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gsfx View Post
    Hello,

Since the servers are down I recognized that the power consumption has grown. The battery drains quite quickly. Is anyone here who has the same problem?

Kind regards

Fred :-)

YES! I have been wondering the same as my Pre3 just sucks the battery dry. I used to be able to go 24-36 hrs with the phone in standby, but now it won't go 6. I can't say it is because of the shutdown, but it is a recent development. Over the weekend, I was going to start removing apps/patches to see if I can find out who is draining the battery.
    Check out this thread and tell me if you see the same rapid HiddEventIpc.c messages in Lumberjack. I'm seeing them on my primary device, a Pre2, and my Pre3 which I also use pretty regularly. On the Pre3 the battery drain hasn't been as high as when it's doing this on my Pre2.

Rapidly repeating errors on Pre2 from HiddEventIpc.c high current drain

I realize there can be a million things affecting battery life, including overal battery health depletion, but it is interesting I've seen this on two different devices recently, and this specific error had never been reported here (there was a related error, but not with the
    " No such file or directory" message.
    Maybe a new 'alt.comp.app' thread is required, but for contacting app authors, there is the downloaded HP app cat data. I think Herrie had the most comprehensive list. I'll try to find a post with the attachments. I'm pretty sure I made a .CSV, so this could be sorted in a spreadsheet to make a list of developers, cross-reference with what we already have and what we know is almost certainly gone, then we'll have (hopefully) a contact list.
    Well, I've made some progress on the backup thing. I did manage to patch the backup on a Touchpad to disable all of the calls to clean up the old backups, but I'm not super happy with it. It does do the job, but the Touchpad I'm playing with has some old backup manifests on it, and I think the backup service is trying to do something with them. Really there are quite a few error messages in the log related to those backups, plus lots of attempts to download Palm Profile data (in fact, that is actually where disabling the backup fails - it doesn't even get to the point of connecting to the backup server to delete the previous backup.

Edit: actually it appears that even though the backup app still says it's turned off, the activity still exists in the db and executes on startup, trying to make a backup - that is the source of some of the messages. I'm going to try to kill the activity, and see if it stays dead since backups are 'disabled' according to the app. I tried that a couple weeks ago but the activity did not cancel, so maybe now it will.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/30/2015 at 12:32 AM.
    Brief update. Cancelling the scheduled backup activity did work permanently, but the service still starts as part of the normal webOS startup. Also the backup manifests left on the tablet look like they would have been left behind when turning off backups when the servers were still up. I kind of regret signing out of the profile, but it was getting errors in the same place even when it was still there, so I don't think it really matters.

Ideally I would like to disable the backup service, at least until there is (hope?) an alternative. Any webOS service experts that want to help me with direction, please contact me.
    petbull likes this.
    No doubt you've looked here: Portal:Research - WebOS Internals
    Just putting it up for general interest. There appears to be some useful stuff there, but maybe it's mostly for webOS 1x..?

I found an old backup app, but it looks like it never got into a fully usable state and is not recommended. But perhaps the 25 pages of discussion would offer some insight...
    Running bash/sh scripts from a webos app
    I just bumped this thread - first post since 2011.

EDIT: Actually, if the last backup attempt collected the items to back up, where are those items stored?

Perhaps one approach would be to shut down the service, remove the files to external storage, then restart the service and "Backup Now" to make a new package. I know backups were encrypted on the HP servers, but I wonder if this is done on device or at the remote location? The former is obviously more secure.

A restore might then require decryption - I wonder if that has to be done in conjunction with the remote server (in which case a seperate service will have to be made as backup is now useless with the HP keys)

Possible models:
    • Encrypted on device and sent to HP
    • Sent to HP & encrypted there
    • Encrypted jointly by device and server

I expect there are standard practices for this - of which I am unaware!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/30/2015 at 11:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Brief update. Cancelling the scheduled backup activity did work permanently, but the service still starts as part of the normal webOS startup. Also the backup manifests left on the tablet look like they would have been left behind when turning off backups when the servers were still up. I kind of regret signing out of the profile, but it was getting errors in the same place even when it was still there, so I don't think it really matters.

Ideally I would like to disable the backup service, at least until there is (hope?) an alternative. Any webOS service experts that want to help me with direction, please contact me.
    Whatever magic you can work will be appreciated because it sure seems like the battery is dying a lot quicker since they turned the servers off.
    As a 'canary', a while ago, I set my browser homepage to show HP : Support (which is the first support page of HP WebOS official website ) and mynewpalm (to see if anything happens there)

The first link now shows: HP : Support

So the frontpage is still there, 'Accessories' is a link to a generic HP page, 'Developers' times out, The OpenwebOS & Enyo links work as normal.

The 'sorry' page states that there was a previous announcement that all services would end on the 12th of May (first I've heard of that one!). None of the apparent links on the page work - not even to the general HP support forums. There are some links hidden in the page source, but what I've tried so far redirects to the 'sorry' page.

So it seems the HP webOS and PalmOS support pages have gone after all. Seems odd (& a shame) that a holding page remains that has almost no purpose, but not even a link to the general forum could be retained.

There are plans to make an up to date webOS guide on pivotCE and I'm confident that the pages were previously downloaded, so that could make source material...

Perhaps these pages are still available with a HOSTS file tweak..?

Of course, there is: https://web.archive.org/web/20150411...r/page_en.html

Some donations due in that direction!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/13/2015 at 08:46 AM.
    So you mean that they got rid also of the forum section that hp has related to webos devices ?

Edit

for a moment you got me scared
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/webOS-H...-webossoftware

this still exists, luckily
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    So you mean that they got rid also of the forum section that hp has related to webos devices ?

Edit

for a moment you got me scared
    webOS Hardware and Software - HP Support Forum

this still exists, luckily
    Yes, but no link to it from the HPwebOS pages...
    well, tbh the hp website is a collage of various parts hosted by different divisions, usually made by different people and such (that's why some "legacy" lot of times survives lurking somewhere), so that whoever got paid (or slaved) to remake that section missed parts is not that weird.

In some cases finding info has always been convoluted, too.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast