palm.imap.mail.yahoo.com port 993,
    exp. Jan 25, 2018

palm.stmp.mail.yahoo.com port 465,
    exp. Jan. 13, 2017

Symantec Class 3 Secure Server
    exp. Oct. 30, 2023

VeriSign Class Public Primary
    exp. Nov. 7, 2021

Updated the stmp in Jan this way, and the imap cert. last week same way. The guide at pivotCE is a big help.

Receiving email just started WORKING for me (I could always send fine, unlike others) and I did NOT make any changes since my last post on Feb 16.

My settings are the same as yours except that I am still using imap.mail.yahoo.com instead of palm.imap.mail.yahoo.com (but am using palm.stmp.mail.yahoo.com).

Only other difference is my VeriSign cert expires on Feb 7, 2020 -- maybe this one was recently updated.
    Using an * instead of palm for the certificate name works just as well as you discovered.. I'm just nostalgic. Damn HP
    For me, Yahoo incoming works with latest Certgrabber certs until I try to send an email. Then I get the yellow triangle.

Sounds like something has changed on the SMTP side recently?

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by PreWhee View Post
    I haven't used Cert Grabber because I couldn't get it to work. Have downloaded the certificates using OpenSSL, loaded them on the phone, used Certificate Manager to add and trust with success. Currently working fine with palm.imap.mail.yahoo.com port 993, exp. Jan 25, 2018
    palm.stmp.mail.yahoo.com port 465, exp. Jan. 13, 2017
    Symantec Class 3 Secure Server exp. Oct. 30, 2023
    VeriSign Class Public Primary exp. Nov. 7, 2021

Updated the stmp in Jan this way, and the imap cert. last week same way. The guide at pivotCE is a big help.
    I've gomne onto OpenSSL and downloaded the file I thought I needed, that is "OpenSSL 1.0.2f". It was a .tar.gz file.

In a virtal machine I unzipped the file and ended up with a multitude of folders.

I presume I need to use the Certs folder, however there are two folders in the Certs folder, Demo and Expired. Am I correct in assuming is the files in the Demo folder that I need to load onto the Touchpad, or, am I in the wrong place?

Help appreciated thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm T/X50 View Post
    I've gomne onto OpenSSL and downloaded the file I thought I needed, that is "OpenSSL 1.0.2f". It was a .tar.gz file.

In a virtal machine I unzipped the file and ended up with a multitude of folders.

I presume I need to use the Certs folder, however there are two folders in the Certs folder, Demo and Expired. Am I correct in assuming is the files in the Demo folder that I need to load onto the Touchpad, or, am I in the wrong place?

Help appreciated thanks.
    If your goal is to update expired root and intermediate certificates, just install frantid's root cert update package from Preware. If you are trying to update the Yahoo certs, they won't be in there.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Attached are text files with the current Yahoomail SMTP certs.

Go to https://pivotce.com/2015/03/05/guide-fixing-yahoo-mail/

Skip to step 7 on that site and then follow the instructions to create the certs for downloading to your computer. I downloaded them to the downloads folder. On Interalz Pro it shows up as media/general/downloads

Open the Device Info icon on your phone, tap Preferences, and open the Certificate Manager, tap the + in the lower left of the Cert Mgr. and add and trust the new certificates.

Sometimes a Restart is needed after adding and trusting the certs.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I've been having a problem with Yahoo mail since changing my password. For some reason, this was no problem with the TP, but was on the Pre3 - maybe there's some quirk between the two different OS versions.

This is now fixed!

The first thing I thought it might be was an odd character in the new password, so I changed it once more. Again, no problem on the TP, no go on the Pre. Eventually, I deleted and recreated the account in the app and was able to receive mail again thanks to the Cert Grabber app. But sending didn't work.

I did notice a problem with sending mail on the TP. I wondered if Cert Grabber was only updating the IMAP certificate. It's unlikely that Grabber5.0 would neglect this, but as another example, looking at the pivotCE guide, I have to say that whatever so-called genius wrote that neglected to mention that the SMTP certificate chain also needs to be updated. I suppose it's kind of implied, but it's not clearly stated. Fortunately, I have the power to correct this doltish error and have given the author a stern talking to.

I remember that Cert Grabber only updates the final certificate in the chain, so I went for the 'belt and braces' approach of manually downloading the full chain. It took a couple of restarts, but it is all now working. I'm getting LED alerts and notifications of "Syncing account...", but I guess this is normal with an account that's updating itself.

Moreover, my test mail has appeared in the sent folder. In the past, I've noticed mail that was successfully sent did not get recorded there - which might be important for business communications you could need a record of.

So it might be that a password chain requires the full chain, or perhaps the chain as a whole recently expired or perhaps it was because I remade the account on the Pre. Registering sent mail... I don't know how this works. The smtp server could simply write a copy to the folder on the server or the client could move a copy locally. I suspect communication is required so the contents of the sent mail folder could be retrieved over IMAP like received mail. Somehow perhaps a full cert chain for send and receive is needed for full operation.

Just some thoughts for anyone who might be having odd problems with email.
    The full chain is never needed when manually trusting leaf certificates. It is more likely that I need to use a different SMTP URL for Yahoo. I have been having issues with Yahoo SMTP too, but haven't had time to look into it. I confess if I used that account for sending mail there would have already been a fire under my behind.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/15/2016 at 12:59 PM.
    I made an update to the cert grabber app today that hopefully will fix the Yahoo send problem. The default webOS config for Yahoo mail used a palm prefix for the URLs, but the cert being downloaded did not contain a wildcard, so it was not working for sending mail. I will update the Preware feed tomorrow. If you don't want to wait, it is on my website. http://www.fordmaverick.com/GrabberS..._0.5.7_all.ipk
    Yes, I was meaning to post. Yahoo mail keeps breaking and I'm not sure it's the certificates. I have a regular and persistent notification:
    Yahoo!
    Syncing Account...
    The spinner rotates 90 degrees, then jumps back - this suggests to me that something is trying and failing.

If I go into the settings and re-enter (not change) the password or re-apply certificates, I can get it working again. Previously, I realised I had not deleted the earlier certificate versions and thought this might be a conflict, so I deleted all Yahoo certificates and re-applied the current ones manually. I use certificate Grabber when there's a warning about Google and this always reports that Yahoo is unchanged.

The only other information is that this account is also used to pull email addresses from Yahoo. I could back up my contacts and re-import them, enabling me to switch off contacts - I usually put contact data straight in the phone anyway.

My guess was that maybe there was some certificate (or other) problem with contacts (assuming these are separate from the mail servers) and the sync problem was interfering with mail, but if you think it might be SMTP, I'll give that a try - although as I wrote, I do seem to be able to fix the problem by going into the account settings and basically re-applying (not changing or updating).

I'll give the app update a try - fingers crossed!
    The Yahoo certs definitely aren't updating like crazy like the Gmail ones have been, so it's not a surprise that it reports them as unchanged. Hopefully this sorts it. One thing I was wondering about last night was whether the cert I'm grabbing works for Yahoo's partners - I don't know who all they still use, but at one time, you could have a Yahoo account through Southwestern Bell that ended in sbc.net (or something like that.. it was in the name anyway). I haven't got the script tied with the app as far as the URLs go, so I have to keep them in sync manually right now. That's what makes opening it to user options more challenging.
    I have straight Yahoo - from the days before smartphones ;-)

Up for sale now I see... I wonder how that will go.
    Update 1: I had a thought: I remember seeing the smtp cert had no * and thought nothing of it as the account worked at first - after my manual update. Seeing Grabber5.0's post above, I thought, "Why not just change the settings to smtp.mail.yahoo.com?" so I deleted the 'palm.' bit at the front and pressed 'Va;idate settings' : 'Encrytion not supported by server'. When I put the prefix back, I get 'Unable To Sign In. Could not sign in to account. The mail server responded:Wizard: Unable to determine settings'
    Update 2: I restarted before installing the Cert Grabber update and then received some mail backlog. I applied the update, but got the 'Syncing Account...' Spinner again - still jumping. I successfully sent a test mail. I'll report back if the account gets stuck again.

I'll try another restart to ensure any new smtp certificate has 'taken'. Should I have manually deleted the old one?
    Don't know it this might help any, but:

I do know that you should use the manual "email Account" and not the Yahoo "quick" account, which gives problems.

Since I switched to the manually entered, it's been working a lot better.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Update 3: The new version of Cert Grabber did not solve the problem. I shut off the wifi and deleted the two yahoo certificates in case of conflict. I put the wifi back on, ran cert grabber and re-entered the password. As usual, this worked briefly before stopping and doing nothing but frequent "Syncing account..."

Now, I think the 'Yahoo account' is just a template and that imfallen_angel's advice relates to this old problem:
    Workaround to fix the Yahoo email 1299 Error | webOS Nation

I do not see this error (though I did have it in the past & used the generic account work-around) and have been using the branded option for ages. However, out of options, I put the yahoo settings into a generic account. This is currently working fine!

So I then removed and made a new yahoo account. This didn't solve the problem.

So if the same settings are working in one instance, but not another, what is the difference between the branded template and the generic account? A generic email account only gets email. The branded account can be used with email, contacts, messaging and calendar. I was using it also for contacts...

I switched off contacts access in the accounts app. This did not solve the problem.

I have now made a new Yahoo account, switching off contacts access before pressing the 'create' button. This is currently working OK.

So, I think there is an issue with contact retrieval. I do not know if this works through the email system or is separate, but if there is a different server with a different certificate or if there has been an API change (I'm guessing it's the former), this could be the reason for the problem.

I just tried to make a second Yahoo account for contacts only and got: 'Error: Duplicate account', so I can only have one yahoo account with switches for services. I don't think I can make a generic contacts account, so I can't test that.

One more test I can do is to again delete the Yahoo mail account, then remake it for contacts only and see what happens, but I will wait to see how my branded and generic yahoo email accounts perform for a while.

Anyone got any knowledge / ideas on the contact sync mechanism?
    imfallen_angel likes this.
    tonight I got the gmail certificate issues, so kicked on Certificate Grabber, and now it just spins and eventually says that it can't get the list...
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    I've seen that in the emulator recently and on a device that didn't have Internalz Pro installed (or it could have been the emulator..). I think the only two things that can cause it are the cert manager being hosed - easy enough to test from device info app) or not having the homebrew advanced service helper installed - which gets installed with Internalz Pro or can be installed separately. Well I suppose a third option is a bug in my code.. Naah! That would never happen! (In truth I didn't touch that code with the last few updates, so it shouldn't be..) Try to capture CG logs with Lumberjack.
    Uh oh...
    Update 4: Both Yahoo accounts got stuck again... hmmm... one account had one more email than the other. I know they were updating at different times... I'm going to guess that they both broke at the same time...

I haven't seen the jumpy spinner again.

Deleted the branded account - no resolution.
    Re-entered the password in the generic account - nope!
    Restarted - That fixed it!

So maybe it's not contacts. Something generally to do with the branded accounts? No idea. I'll see how long the generic one keeps working.

Has anyone else seen similar problems?

Perhaps my next step is to knuckle down to the OSSL update. Has anyone had any issues once the install is successful?
    Well, now that you mention it, I think Yahoo contact sync has been broken for some time, not sure about calendar - can't remember. I only sync email on my Yahoo account. I am using the built-in Yahoo account type on all but maybe one device, and all the ones I've checked are working fine.

Regarding OpenSSL, I've had no issues on 2.x or 3.x devices I've installed it on. It didn't work well for me on the Pixi.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast