Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    I think I found the answer to my problem...

I deleted my account, and recreated it using the blank / manual email account instead of using the yahoo choice.

So far, since I did this, things are back to normal, no more spam showing in my inbox, and the viewed on PC do show as viewed on my phone.

Yippee for me!
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Some phones just seem to be weird. One of my Pre3s would not work even after updating the certs, so I removed and re-added the account. Now it can receive bit still can't send.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    ... still can't send.
    I can't send either on my Pre3, but was able to on Feb 10 and earlier. Any ideas?

Error message I get in Outbox after tapping on Outbox label near top of screen:

"The server's security certificate is invalid"

Did the Certs change yet again after Feb 10? (I manually update mine & delete the old ones, as described earlier in this thread.) Or is a new different Cert required?

Here are my 4 Certs:

*.smpt.mail.yahoo.com Cert's Expiration Date is Jan 13, 2017

*.imap.mail.yahoo.com Cert's Expiration Date is Feb 24, 2016

Symantec Class 3 Secure Server CA - G4 Cert's Expiration Date is Oct 30, 2023

VeriSign Class 3 Secure Server CA - G3 Cert's Expiration Date is Feb 7, 2020

UPDATE:
    I did a Restart (Device Info > Reset Options > Restart) and the email that was in my Outbox disappeared, but now a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside of it appeared in the upper right corner instead of the spinning sync animation I saw earlier.

When I tap that yellow triangle, I get the same message as earlier:

"The server's security certificate is invalid"

The GOOD news is my email that was stuck in the Outbox DID get sent and I can now send new email again too, even with the above yellow triangle message.

The bad news is new email does NOT show up the Inbox and I can NOT view any other mail folders either, like Sent Messages, which sounds like an IMAP issue to me. I'll have to check, when I have time, if that Yahoo IMAP cert that is set to expire on Feb 24, 2016 has been updated yet.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 02/12/2016 at 04:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    I can't send either on my Pre3, but was able to on Feb 10 and earlier. Any ideas?

The bad news is new email does NOT show up the Inbox and I can NOT view any other mail folders either, like Sent Messages, which sounds like an IMAP issue to me. I'll have to check, when I have time, if that Yahoo IMAP cert that is set to expire on Feb 24, 2016 has been updated yet.
    Some phones just seem to be weird. One of my Pre3s would not work even after updating the certs, so I removed and re-added the account. Now it can receive bit still can't send.
    You guys are probably missing the SSL Updater fix ipk

See:
    Problems with Yahoo Mail
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 02/12/2016 at 07:55 AM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    You guys are probably missing the SSL Updater fix ipk

See:
    Problems with Yahoo Mail
    I have that on about half of my phones, including my primary franken Pre2, mostly from testing it for him. On the rest I'm still using cert grabber because it still works. This one Pre3 though was just acting really strange last night. Finally this morning I rebooted it because nothing would open, and it finally was able to send the test email that wouldn't go last night because it was getting the 'encryption not supported' error. Just really weird!
    I have that on about half of my phones, including my primary franken Pre2, mostly from testing it for him. On the rest I'm still using cert grabber because it still works. This one Pre3 though was just acting really strange last night. Finally this morning I rebooted it because nothing would open, and it finally was able to send the test email that wouldn't go last night because it was getting the 'encryption not supported' error. Just really weird!
    The cert grabber is only for gmail as far as I know...which is why the Yahoo email is done differently (as per this thread)

But rebooting might have been the issue, I've learned that when anything starts acting up, a reboots almost always fixes things.

My biggest annoyance with my Pre3 is the data.

I'm using the data toggle, as otherwise, something keeps pinging and eats my plan to the point of going over my limit (and $$$) and I've never resolved what the heck is was and when I asked here, no one was able to help.

But when I toggle it on, 7/10 times, it does not turn on correctly and I have to reboot to get my data to work again.
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    The cert grabber is only for gmail as far as I know...which is why the Yahoo email is done differently (as per this thread).
    I added the yahoo leaf certs for imap and smtp to the cert grabber last night (it's now in Preware). The root and intermediate certs are not necessary. Trusting a leaf cert automatically bypasses the root and intermediate.
    Just thinking out loud here...

It could be that Yahoo and the like being international corporations with millions of users, have many servers. It could be that updating the certificates across them all either takes time or is deliberately done in phases to ensure there aren't any problems. Therefore they might start say... a couple of weeks before the certificate expiry date?

Maybe it can get a bit tricky depending on your manual update and the particular server you connect to? You might have a new certificate while connecting to the old or the server could be already updated and you think your old certificate is still valid.

This should all be solved with a functioning OpenSSL and up to date root certificates, but it seems not. Could it be a bug in the OSSL update? Or perhaps it should be applied on a 'fresh' install? Maybe old certificates in the system are causing confusion?
    On the phones where I have the openssl update installed, all but one work perfectly. That one is a Pre+ running 2.1 that gets the "unknown error".. I think it would work as a generic IMAP account, which I'll try shortly. I added yahoo to the cert grabber for people that are still using it for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/12/2016 at 12:03 PM.
    Preemptive likes this.
    I don't really have any spare devices as such. My rough plan (when I get round to it) is to back up, wipe and reinstall the Pre2 and go back to it as the daily driver (assuming the process fixes the issues that phone has). Then I can do the same on the Pre3. I'm reluctant to install OSSL as it seems potentially tricky and fixing a bad install might mean I have nothing but a dumb phone that's usable.

So, I'm sticking with cert grabber until I can do a 'full upgrade' on the Pre2. That said, all my email accounts are now in various states of being broken depending on the device, so I really should try to find the time to sort it all out...
    I added the yahoo leaf certs for imap and smtp to the cert grabber last night (it's now in Preware).

The root and intermediate certs are not necessary. Trusting a leaf cert automatically bypasses the root and intermediate.
    Thank you! I gave this a try, but still get the same warning message in Mail, even after a restart:

"Requested encryption not supported by server."

Sending email still works, which I'm happy with for now.

I do not have the OpenSSL update installed yet since I thought it wasn't necessary as long as I manually install the certs I need and I don't want to risk having any new issues pop up on an otherwise stable & daily used Pre3.
    Last edited by UI Designer; 02/13/2016 at 06:19 PM.
    Thank you! I gave this a try, but still get the same warning message in Mail, even after a restart:

I do not have the OpenSSL update installed yet since I thought it wasn't necessary as long as I manually install the certs I need and I don't want to risk having any new issues pop up on an otherwise stable & daily used Pre3.
    It did that to me too, then the next morning it started working. :huh:

Yahoo updated the imap cert for receiving email and you need to add the new one.

A *,txt file with the updated imap certificate is attached. Download it and go to the instructions at https://pivotce.com/2015/03/05/guide-fixing-yahoo-mail/

Having the attached file puts you in the middle of step "7" under the heading "Method" in the guide at the pivotce site. All you need to do is rename the file by changing txt to pem and load it to your phone as described in step "7." The other two certificates for imap (and for smtp for outgoing mail) remain unchanged.

Should work if you add and trust the certificate on your phone.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If there is anyone who hasn't noticed, the Yahoo IMAP certificate was updated about a week ago. The new certificate in txt format is attached. It is good until Jan 2018.

Change the extension to pem and load on to your phone per the instructions beginning in the middle of step "7" at https://pivotce.com/2015/03/05/guide-fixing-yahoo-mail/

Add and trust and you should be go to receive Yahoo mail. The SMTP certificate was updated in Jan and is good until Jan 2017.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Preemptive likes this.
    Grabber5.0's Cert grabber app was updated to also add Yahoo certificates recently/ This is the easiest method if you haven't taken the plunge on the OSSL update.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreWhee View Post
    If there is anyone who hasn't noticed, the Yahoo IMAP certificate was updated about a week ago. ... It is good until Jan 2018.

... The SMTP certificate was updated in Jan and is good until Jan 2017.
    Yes, I have the latest Yahoo certs that expire on:

Jan 25, 2018 for *.imap.mail.yahoo.com

Jan 13, 2017 for *.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

I also came across:
    smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    (without the leading '*.') that expires on June 22, 2016, which I think the "Certificate Grabber" app added. I do not think I need this one since it has an older expiration date than the Jan 13, 2017 one, so I just deleted it.

No changes. I still see the warning triangle (even after waiting a few days) that says the following when tapped:

UPDATE:
    I ran "Certificate Grabber" again and that smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    (without the leading '*.') cert that expires on June 22, 2016 got added back again. Is this Yahoo cert needed?
    Last edited by UI Designer; 02/17/2016 at 12:58 AM.
    Yes, I have the latest Yahoo certs that expire on:

Jan 25, 2018 for *.imap.mail.yahoo.com

Jan 13, 2017 for *.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

I also came across:
    smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    (without the leading '*.') that expires on June 22, 2016, which I think the "Certificate Grabber" app added. I do not think I need this one since it has an older expiration date than the Jan 13, 2017 one, so I just deleted it.

No changes. I still see the warning triangle (even after waiting a few days) that says the following when tapped:

UPDATE:
    I ran "Certificate Grabber" again and that smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    (without the leading '*.') cert that expires on June 22, 2016 got added back again. Is this Yahoo cert needed?
    Hmm, it seems they have different certs on different hosts.. I'll check it out.
    I've used the latest version of Cert Grabber today. I can receive Yahoo mail but still not send.

I have the following Yahoo certificates

*.imap.mail.yahoo.com
    smtp.mail.yahoo.com

With the smtp certificate there is a box labeled "Subject Information". Inside this box there is a heading "Subject Alt Name". There are 6 names, 5 of which have smtp.mail.yahoo plus a suffix. The suffixes are .com, .ar, .au, .br, .cn, the last one is smtp.mail.ysmtp.DNS6.

Could my sending problem be that since I have essentially a yahoo.co.nz address I need a "Subject Alt Name" with a .co.nz suffix?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Same here. Receiving mails works but sending email gives me an error "demanded encryption not supported by server"

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I haven't used Cert Grabber because I couldn't get it to work. Have downloaded the certificates using OpenSSL, loaded them on the phone, used Certificate Manager to add and trust with success. Currently working fine with palm.imap.mail.yahoo.com port 993, exp. Jan 25, 2018
    palm.stmp.mail.yahoo.com port 465, exp. Jan. 13, 2017
    Symantec Class 3 Secure Server exp. Oct. 30, 2023
    VeriSign Class Public Primary exp. Nov. 7, 2021

Updated the stmp in Jan this way, and the imap cert. last week same way. The guide at pivotCE is a big help.
    Preemptive likes this.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast