Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #1  
    ...my spare Pre 2 which is in top condition so it will work at least another year

I put on a new 2.2.4 doctor and as I already downloaded all IPKs or saved missing ones with "mybackup" I just logged on without Palm Profile using "Dr. Skipped Firstuse" method and reinstalled the IPKs with internalz or restored with mybackup (which was also nice for my selfpatched apps, as it packs/unpacks the app folder.

All is up again and working e.g. syncing from zarafa (contacts, calendar), google (mail via stock and calendar via c+dav). All appdata was saved with save&restore and all was restored even mojowhatsup went smooth including profile restore and no sms-reg needed. Just found that even wifi-profiles were in save&restore but i could not restore them.

[Update]:
    * facebook fails on login and account creation - seems to be a general problem at new login/reinstalls (perhaps a token transfer would help, but i have no clue which and how).
    * skype account login, contacts sync/synergy, status display in contacts, texting and calling from contacts - all tested and working

And now i know, i really have all my needed stuff backed up

Thanks to the whole community for having this infrastructure ready over the years. Now i can rock without needing server side, but i still would pay for getting a server installable backup infrastructure and sec patches
    I would pay too. Well done w/ your backups
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    what carrier you using
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I would pay too. Well done w/ your backups

That would be up today as soon as i get an SSL certs issue fixed.. but at this point some stuff still needs work, so there won't be a paid service until that's working 100%.

I do wish i had a more forgiving schedule to work on this in the daytime because i'm seriously behind on sleep and that wipes out my late evenings and then everything i planned for the day gets rolled over into the next. Very frustrating and it's been like that for weeks. But at this point, there's no more extra time, and that changes all priorities.

Is there anyone here that would volunteer some extra bandwidth off their home computer? When Profile migrations will take place, all the personal info will be downloaded straight to the server, but app downloads will have to be offloaded to off-site "helper" scripts, so that in the end we'd only have to upload one copy of an app and not choke up the server with 20 concurrent downloads of Angry Birds.

Everyone who migrates will have access to their purchased apps in every device format, not just the one they had available to them when/if they used an app downloader script, but that would mean that we'd have to work together to archive the stuff, automatically, as soon as a new profile is entered into the system and the device is "online". A Python script would check with the server for new downloads and the server will manage the rest.

This would have to be a few trustworthy people who were members here for a long time, because i'd prefer to avoid the types that would think "Oooo! free apps!". All i want is to have a staggered upload schedule, so that we would stay within the limits of the hosting plan, and not get terminated for "abuse" of server resources. Thanks.
    Last edited by Remy X; 01/11/2015 at 02:18 PM.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I have a 200/20 mbit connection here and will be installing 2 new 4TB WD RE4 disks in Raid 1 for redundancy either later today or tomorrow morning. I managed to pull 4000+ (mainly free) IPK's from the carious app catalogs (official, palm-web, palm-beta etc). Also have all the app reviews, info etc. Now busy with the last bits (basically screenshots, icons etc).

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Palm beta? Would that be the QA profile server?
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    ...my spare Pre 2 which is in top condition so it will work at least another year

I put on a new 2.2.4 doctor and as I already downloaded all IPKs or saved missing ones with "mybackup" I just logged on without Palm Profile using "Dr. Skipped Firstuse" method and reinstalled the IPKs with internalz or restored with mybackup (which was also nice for my selfpatched apps, as it packs/unpacks the app folder.

All is up again and working e.g. syncing from zarafa (contacts, calendar), google (mail via stock and calendar via c+dav). All appdata was saved with save&restore and all was restored even mojowhatsup went smooth including profile restore and no sms-reg needed. Just found that even wifi-profiles were in save&restore but i could not restore them.

And now i know i really have all my needed stuff backed up

Thanks to the whole community for having this infrastructure ready over the years. Now i can rock without needing server side, but i still would pay for getting a server installable backup infrastructure and sec patches
    That thread title was a mean trick! But I forgive you! ;-)

Is there any chance you can help on this thread? I'm trying to put together instructions for the very process you've just completed:
    Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015

Remember, you are a pivotCE writer and far more expert at this stuff than I am.
    Palm beta? Would that be the QA profile server?
    The beta apps this are like NDrive. I pulled all ipks with profiles from different devicea (Pixi, Pre, Pre 2, Pre 3, Veer and TP). This got most free IPK's in different versions as well :-) All were US profiles and 1 German I think. So might have missed some FR, ES or IT apps but it's quite comprehensive I'd say. Would just need to organize all a bit....

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    The beta apps this are like NDrive. I pulled all ipks with profiles from different devicea (Pixi, Pre, Pre 2, Pre 3, Veer and TP). This got most free IPK's in different versions as well :-) All were US profiles and 1 German I think. So might have missed some FR, ES or IT apps but it's quite comprehensive I'd say. Would just need to organize all a bit....

I do suspect there will be some spanish apps, I know for sure there are some French apps.
    Italian? Pizza anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    I do suspect there will be some spanish apps, I know for sure there are some French apps.
    Italian? Pizza anyone?
    Well it seems that altogether I'm missing IPK's for 46 free apps. It could be these were removed sometime from the App Catalog in the past already
    Preemptive likes this.
    wonder if LG or 'palm" would donate some server resources...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    what carrier you using
    I'm on O2 germany, but that should be irrelevant for backup/restore questions.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post

That would be up today as soon as i get an SSL certs issue fixed.. but at this point some stuff still needs work, so there won't be a paid service until that's working 100%.

I do wish i had a more forgiving schedule to work on this in the daytime because i'm seriously behind on sleep and that wipes out my late evenings and then everything i planned for the day gets rolled over into the next. Very frustrating and it's been like that for weeks. But at this point, there's no more extra time, and that changes all priorities.

Is there anyone here that would volunteer some extra bandwidth off their home computer? When Profile migrations will take place, all the personal info will be downloaded straight to the server, but app downloads will have to be offloaded to off-site "helper" scripts, so that in the end we'd only have to upload one copy of an app and not choke up the server with 20 concurrent downloads of Angry Birds.

Everyone who migrates will have access to their purchased apps in every device format, not just the one they had available to them when/if they used an app downloader script, but that would mean that we'd have to work together to archive the stuff, automatically, as soon as a new profile is entered into the system and the device is "online". A Python script would check with the server for new downloads and the server will manage the rest.

This would have to be a few trustworthy people who were members here for a long time, because i'd prefer to avoid the types that would think "Oooo! free apps!". All i want is to have a staggered upload schedule, so that we would stay within the limits of the hosting plan, and not get terminated for "abuse" of server resources. Thanks.
    Great that there is still some progress on it. As i already mentioned I would rather put all the serverside stuff to my own homeserver. And i also see some legal issues distributing (even free of price) apps via private servers without dev permissions. And if we have permissions why not using Preware/webosnation-stream as best we have appcatalog-solution(which is updating again ).

I'm more into a backup solution replacement than a appcat replacement (but that's a personal view).
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Well it seems that altogether I'm missing IPK's for 46 free apps. It could be these were removed sometime from the App Catalog in the past already
    I have dl german appcat 2.2.4 and 3.0 so perhaps i could help with some. Also have some removed/only 1.x cat apps saved with mybackup, which would have zo be converted to IPK as they are atm only tar.gz
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    That thread title was a mean trick! But I forgive you! ;-)

Is there any chance you can help on this thread? I'm trying to put together instructions for the very process you've just completed:
    Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015

Remember, you are a pivotCE writer and far more expert at this stuff than I am.
    Have answered in the backup thread.
  16.    #16  
    Still missing:

Solution to restore wifi profiles, as the save&restore script to do this does not seem to restore on my new device even when directly restarting after restore and having wifi off at restore.

Solution to restore "Text Assist" data. Save&Restore script only supports backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Great that there is still some progress on it. As i already mentioned I would rather put all the serverside stuff to my own homeserver. And i also see some legal issues distributing (even free of price) apps via private servers without dev permissions. And if we have permissions why not using Preware/webosnation-stream as best we have appcatalog-solution(which is updating again ).

I'm more into a backup solution replacement than a appcat replacement (but that's a personal view).
    Not "distributing" apps by any means... even free ones will not be available to anyone that hasn't downloaded them once already

But everyone, even free tier users, with a migrated Palm Profile would have their private "file locker" that has their purchased apps along with other Profile data like system configs and address book. The multiple "copies" of the same app would symlink back to one file. This would allow us to back-up as many paid apps as possible, and if someone signed up late, on the 15th or later, they might still be able to have their apps in their profile if somebody else bought the same ones and the latecomer would use the original Palm Profile email account that has old purchase confirmation emails... this way a "lost" profile could be rebuilt by syncing from the device and merging app purchase receipts with archived apps.

So there's no real issue here, considering that the server directory that holds all the apps won't be public and will be hidden behind a mod_rewrite, also locking out the would-be pirates by issuing session IDs that expire
    ...even free ones will not be available to anyone that hasn't downloaded them once already
    When you make a backup of the store all available apps using your token (etc.), will that count as 'downloaded already'?

I have 100/10 at home and can rise speed to 200/20, 200/50, 300/50 (probably only higher upload is needed for your purpose) if needed for a month or so as they have a free trial now. How much speed do you think you will need?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumy View Post
    I have 100/10 at home and can rise speed to 200/20, 200/50, 300/50 (probably only higher upload is needed for your purpose) if needed for a month or so as they have a free trial now. How much speed do you think you will need?
    I have activated www.palm.si domain, and moved domain and some files to a faster server at internet provider server, to avoid overloading local office server.

those subdomains are active already
    cdn.downloads.palm.si
    downloads.help.palm.si
    developer.palm.si
    help.palm.si

I plan to copy all WebOS doctors following original Palm folders structure.

I would ask you to test download speed of devicetool.jar at
    cdn.downloads.palm.si/sdkdownloads/ActivationBypass/2010-04-16/devicetool.jar and let me know the speeds you are getting (country + speed, i need information from Europe (as many countries as possible), USA, Canada, Australia ...)
    If speed is not sufficient I will make one mirror in UK and one in USA.
    Remy X and Preemptive like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast