Like Tree17Likes
  • 10 Post By AllanQuatermain
  • 2 Post By ggendel
  • 2 Post By bluenote
  • 1 Post By tom4486
  • 2 Post By Mutoidi
  1.    #1  
    with HP shutting down of webOS servers on 15th of January, a petty action as there are many webOS devices still being used even new one's still in the supply chain, the cost to them is very little compared to their brand reputation after the Touchpad fiasco and now this final attempt to remove all traces of webOS, as an Owner and daily user of Touchpad and Pre 3 i would like to thank the developers and everyone else who supports webOS, and still uses a Touchpad and or a Pre 3,(also HP Pre 2 ) and not forgetting webOS Nations still supporting webOS owners by continuing this web site, i will continue with my webOS devices until they all fail to function, just a thought it would be an idea if as many members as possible posted here on January 15th to say to HP we are here and not going away anytime soon.

Have sent E Mail to HP CEO about closing webOS cloud services, nothing will happen but it gets it out my system,
    LG Tv's and a smart watch on the way, maybe a phone and Tablet that would be Ironic.
    Last edited by AllanQuatermain; 01/11/2015 at 05:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    I too have a couple of Pre 3s, three Touchpads, a Franken-Pre. and a Pre Plus. I'll be a loyal WebOS user until my Pre 3 dies. I used to recommend qualified HP servers for our customers to the tune of several million to HP per year. Ever since the WebOS debacle I switch to promoting Dell servers instead. I figured it was about time. I have been personally hit with HP nonsense since the mid 70's:

* HP sold us a system based upon their IBM PC clone for inventory. I gave them a full spec of how it would be used and the number of items but the system was full after we spent months and had entered only half of our inventory items. Not only did they not own up to their mistake, their proposed fix was to upgrade the disks for more than double the price of a new system which had enough disk space.

* HP teased us with their new CAD software. On promise of a release date in two months we purchased over $5M of servers and peripherals. Six months later they decided they weren't going to release the software at all. The equipment sat on the loading dock for 5 years while we sued them to take it back and won.

* There were numerous other issues like laptops that overheated. When HP finally agreed it was their fault (years later) we had already trashed them so got nothing.

BTW, I still have my HP 45 that I bought the first year it was introduced. I keep it as a reminder of when the HP name meant something special.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    vgg and AllanQuatermain like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    I too have a couple of Pre 3s, three Touchpads, a Franken-Pre. and a Pre Plus. I'll be a loyal WebOS user until my Pre 3 dies. I used to recommend qualified HP servers for our customers to the tune of several million to HP per year. Ever since the WebOS debacle I switch to promoting Dell servers instead. I figured it was about time. I have been personally hit with HP nonsense since the mid 70's:

* HP sold us a system based upon their IBM PC clone for inventory. I gave them a full spec of how it would be used and the number of items but the system was full after we spent months and had entered only half of our inventory items. Not only did they not own up to their mistake, their proposed fix was to upgrade the disks for more than double the price of a new system which had enough disk space.

* HP teased us with their new CAD software. On promise of a release date in two months we purchased over $5M of servers and peripherals. Six months later they decided they weren't going to release the software at all. The equipment sat on the loading dock for 5 years while we sued them to take it back and won.

* There were numerous other issues like laptops that overheated. When HP finally agreed it was their fault (years later) we had already trashed them so got nothing.

BTW, I still have my HP 45 that I bought the first year it was introduced. I keep it as a reminder of when the HP name meant something special.
    This email above is worthy or an email directly to Meg Whitman (is she still running HP).
    vgg and AllanQuatermain like this.
    could we all petition hp to not discontinue webos cloud services?
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4486 View Post
    could we all petition hp to not discontinue webos cloud services?
    We could - but what good would it do? They just aren;t interested in webOS users.
    It's a bit late for a petition...

The Palm brand has been bought. It's reasonable to assume the Palm.com domain will follow and this would explain why things have been moving around at HP. We can hope that this is just an administrative reshuffle and that HPwebOS.com will continue as a support site, but I really wouldn't count on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    It's a bit late for a petition...

The Palm brand has been bought. It's reasonable to assume the Palm.com domain will follow and this would explain why things have been moving around at HP. We can hope that this is just an administrative reshuffle and that HPwebOS.com will continue as a support site, but I really wouldn't count on it.
    If HP really was interested in us, they could have made provisions once they knew they were selling palm off to rename all of the cloud services and push an update to all of our devices. I cannot imagine it would have been that difficult considering their relationship with LG they could have pulled in some help to knock that out reasonably quickly since they have known about this for awhile. Also since there is still no HP provided skip first use for the Touchpad with a few days to go shows how little they are thinking of us.
    Last edited by joeytino; 01/10/2015 at 11:07 AM.
    Reminder: webOS Cloud Services to end soon

NEW: There will be a short extension period for cloud services support of webOS devices.

As previously announced, cloud services support for webOS devices was to end on January 15, 2015. To assist customers in transitioning in new services, we have decided to extend the shutdown date by two months. The new end date is March 15, 2015

We appreciate our customers’ loyalty to the webOS platform. But now, more than three (3) years after the last device was sold, only a small fraction of the devices are still connecting. Therefore, the time has come to shut down the services.

All devices running webOS will continue to run after the cloud services are terminated. However, they will no longer be able to:

• Download new apps or updates. The HP App Catalog will be unavailable after the shutdown
    • Backup or restore devices from the cloud
    • Setup new devices
    • Recover lost passwords

What this means to you:

• The HP App Catalog no longer supports new app purchases as of November 1, 2014.
    • Updates may have been posted by developers until November 10, 2014 and users can download any available updates until the services shut down
    • You should make arrangements to backup or transfer your contacts, etc.prior to the service shutdown on March 15, 2015
    • You will no longer be able to backup, restore, reset or initialize a webOS device as of March 15, 2015.

There will be additional reminders as the new date for final shutdown approaches. An FAQ can be found at https://developer.palm.com/content/r...velop/faq.html

Timeline
    • 10/15/14 Announcement to users and developers COMPLETE
    • 11/1/14 New app purchases end COMPLETE
    • 11/10/14 App update submissions end
    • 3/15/15 Public shutdown of services

HP webOS Cloud Services
    Quote Originally Posted by tullius128 View Post

NEW: There will be a short extension period for cloud services support of webOS devices.

As previously announced, cloud services support for webOS devices was to end on January 15, 2015. To assist customers in transitioning in new services, we have decided to extend the shutdown date by two months. The new end date is March 15, 2015

We appreciate our customers’ loyalty to the webOS platform. But now, more than three (3) years after the last device was sold, only a small fraction of the devices are still connecting. Therefore, the time has come to shut down the services.

All devices running webOS will continue to run after the cloud services are terminated. However, they will no longer be able to:

• Download new apps or updates. The HP App Catalog will be unavailable after the shutdown
    • Setup new devices
    • Recover lost passwords

What this means to you:

• The HP App Catalog no longer supports new app purchases as of November 1, 2014.
    • Updates may have been posted by developers until November 10, 2014 and users can download any available updates until the services shut down
    • You should make arrangements to backup or transfer your contacts, etc.prior to the service shutdown on March 15, 2015
    • You will no longer be able to backup, restore, reset or initialize a webOS device as of March 15, 2015.

There will be additional reminders as the new date for final shutdown approaches. An FAQ can be found at https://developer.palm.com/content/r...velop/faq.html

Timeline

HP webOS Cloud Services
    FYI: THIS just came to me by email.

If YOU DIDN'T RECEIVE this email, but WANT TO receive any future possible msgs, check your email folders and filters, then confirm your email address is active at the HP support site.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    If HP really was interested in us, they could have made provisions once they knew they were selling palm off to rename all of the cloud services and push an update to all of our devices. I cannot imagine it would have been that difficult considering their relationship with LG they could have pulled in some help to knock that out reasonably quickly since they have known about this for awhile. Also since there is still no HP provided skip first use for the Touchpad with a few days to go shows how little they are thinking of us.
    By the way it's worded, their email suggests they really provided all they could with support 3 years after the last device sold.

It's not MY fault they stopped selling them when they did.

I HAVE A THEORY*:

HP was prepared for a clean break from new Palm expecting the announcement from Alcatel at CES.

When the breaking news appeared to blow over insignificantly, HP rescheduled their shutdown as a matter of convenience (too busy)

*Theory founded upon nothing more than my distrust and dislike of them. >:-p
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 01/12/2015 at 06:36 PM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I think it simply means that HP is so untogether, that they can't even shut their own servers down on time!!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    TJs11thPre and gizmo21 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tullius128 View Post

• Setup new devices
    • Recover lost passwords

What this means to you:

Timeline

HP webOS Cloud Services
    This extension is delightful news -- now I can make more impulse buys of webOS devices before they're un-set-up-able! Seriously, though, I am happy for the extra time to test out my backup strategy, developed by the intrepid homebrew community. Thanks for the word on the change.

Alex
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    17.03.2015: Backup and everything else still working.
    17 03 2015 backup else still work. In mexico