Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all!

Try as we might to remain calm, and not let our imaginations run away from us, the announcements from CES2015 are pretty exciting.

With the rebirth of Palm, and today's announcement from LG to release a webOS watch, it seems we DO have more to watch for than just picking up the pieces from HP's final "cord-cutting", due next week.

So, who'd like to place a friendly wager?

No actual cash value of course, but here's what I'm asking:

By Valentines day 2016, is there something on market (or expected to drop forthcoming), that WE WOULD RECOGNIZE AS A PRE4.

To clarify, "WE" = those of us who have been toughing it out here, using any legacy webOS handset in 2014, either daily driving or as a powered on and running backup;

"Recognize as a pre4" = a smart phone with these minimum requirements:
    - portrait slider with qwerty keyboard
    - synergy like cloud-connected desktop apps
    - cutting edge processor, camera, modem, display
    - the river rock/pebble/bar of soap shape
    - cards that swipe up n' away
    - no bigger than 4.5" closed
    - backswipe and foreswipe gestures
    - inductive charging
    - replaceable battery

Well? Will any of these new teaser headlines actually pan out? Will we finally get what we've all been wishing for the last 2 years? Will someone finally step up and save us from the grim, slow death we've endured by HP's hands?

Please reply briefly so the results are easily browsed, but simply, do you think our dreams will come true or not?
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I'd say no, unless we are the driving force behind the project. I really doubt that a corporation would care enough to respect all of the points on our wishlist. Most manufacturers are taking a "copy the leader" approach, and the result is the current lack of market differentiation
    wideeyed85, vgg and barryb20 like this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    I'd say no, unless we are the driving force behind the project. I really doubt that a corporation would care enough to respect all of the points on our wishlist. Most manufacturers are taking a "copy the leader" approach, and the result is the current lack of market differentiation

Ah yes, but it's that current lack that has created this rebound effect. Because innovation isn't as easy as regurgitation. If you can't make something new, remake something old! Everyone's doing it these days.

All it really takes is one exec in some Chinese electronics company to have the same vision we all do. Did someone recognize that LG is not going to answer our portrait-slider prayers, and finally accept the challenge?

Idk.

Thanks for participating!
    Remy X likes this.
    I'd like either any new device being released with webOS... or a version of Open webOS that can work on any current device on the market.
    TJs11thPre, Grabber5.0 and vgg like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'd like either any new device being released with webOS... or a version of Open webOS that can work on any current device on the market.
    Sounds reasonable.
  6.    #6  
    So is that a yes or no. I'm hearing yeses! I'll put you both down for yes.
    HelloNNNewman and vgg like this.
    BTW.. If I can't have either of those... I'll take this:

Grabber5.0, vgg and TJs11thPre like this.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/genera...ml#post3432298

Can they all get along?

TCL, Qualcomm, LG, HP, Palm...

Make a Palm Pre 4 (Small, Medium, and Large), Small the size of the Veer, the Medium the size of the Pre2, and the Large the size of the Pre3.

Make it a slider, give it a fork of webOS that can run Android Apps (not froze) in cards, have ability to create Java Script apps (Mojo/Enyo) local, use QUALCOMM Chipsets, make it dual SIM (CDMA/World Phone), allow removable batteries, Nice gesture area, killer speakers (stereo), Great Display...

I have looked at Android (Samsung/LG/HTC/Google), BlackBerry, Apple, they all are still stuck in 2000...

My Pre2 can sync with my Touchpad, I can make calls, share SMS (texts), calendars, so much more... Apple tried with iOS 8 and OS X they still do not work together like webOS designed... Still can not charge a Apple device without plugging in some connector so 1990... Inductive charging is so cool.... Still only a handful of devices can do this...

I am still stuck using my Palm PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4 because nothing moves me like the hardware and software integration...

FYI someone said webOS 2.2.5 that did exist with the HP Pre3, just it was never released to the public like webOS 3.0.6 I have seen on the Touchpad Go...
    MAMISHO, benh and Remy X like this.
    I vote No. At least, not compatible with us. I think that we are that unwanted little brother in the basement that people would prefer not to feed. I could see your prediction coming to pass, but not in any way that supports 'history'.

On the other hand, some clever H/W and S/W 'hackers' might try a kickstarter project to build a transition device.

If LG were to develop a new Touchpad and a Pre4, even with a break in the evolutionary path from the HP Touchpad and Pre3, I might consider buying them, just for the continuity of the user experience.
    Remy X likes this.
    I would buy a webos phone with LTE support, with good hardware of course.
    Rnp likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    http://forums.webosnation.com/genera...ml#post3432298

Can they all get along?

TCL, Qualcomm, LG, HP, Palm...

Make a Palm Pre 4 (Small, Medium, and Large), Small the size of the Veer, the Medium the size of the Pre2, and the Large the size of the Pre3.
    I don't think we'll ever have the choice of sizes, and technically we never had that. We have it posthumously, ha.

I'd run with the 4.5" portrait slider, which has no competition, a 6 or 7" tablet, and a wearable or micro handset like a veer smart watch. And that watch I would totally want to rip off that modular wristband concept which another watch is pursuing, Blocks is it? Smart to move hardware outside the bezel to control size.
    imgur: the simple image sharer

Anyone want to crowdsource my design?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    99% of phone users want full screen, LG can not build for the 1% for their first phone out of the gate with the new WEBOS 3.0 launch next year at CES.
    Now after they have a foothold on solid webos users. then maybe a keyboard version.

(percentages are made up with no data to reference). lol.
    I know we all love the Pre line, but the market really indicates that that style phone is not really something to lead a market with.

And personally, I like the landscape style slider much better. (and the last one I owned of those was an LG...)

But I think that Sprint was the last carrier demanding phones with keyboards, and the one guy at the top of Sprint that was demanding those is out of the business now, is what I'd heard.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    No, I'm still here. Oh wait, I'm not quite at the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I know we all love the Pre line, but the market really indicates that that style phone is not really something to lead a market with.

And personally, I like the landscape style slider much better. (and the last one I owned of those was an LG...)

But I think that Sprint was the last carrier demanding phones with keyboards, and the one guy at the top of Sprint that was demanding those is out of the business now, is what I'd heard.
    So you saying that people demanded a slab phone so apple made the iphone

I think the customers don't know what they want, companies have to gamble and take risks and sometimes they win. Don't go thinking apple was not shaking in their boots when they went with the iphone. It became popular and everybody followed.

I think a phone should have both types of keyboard, that's what has not been properly tested, it normally has been either or. And I also believe it should be portrait because that's a more natural way of holding a phone.

Given enough time it could succeed, just need to catch on somehow, maybe apple should do it
    Last edited by laingman; 01/08/2015 at 12:27 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Let's not forget the first iphone was essentially an ipod that made calls - arguably not a smartphone. Apps had long been on Palm phones and were possibly even a bit of a surprise to Apple who transitioned itunes into an app store. Outside of the slick product design, two things made it different - the highly responsive touch screen and the positioning of a phone as a media consumption consumer product rather than a business accessory. This focus on a broader market, building on the success of the ipod drove the high sales.

The majority then rushed to follow suit, grabbing the conveniently free and available Android on the way. The iphone was a successful slab, so that ended up as the default. If you're watching a video or surfing the net, a standard screen is convenient and everyone wants as large a screen as is practical (YMMV).

A closed Pre is a (rounded) slab and in some ways Palm were also playing catch up - the whole itunes compatibility cat and mouse was one example. Of course, they were innovative: Cards, gesture area, Touchstone etc.

Now we have moved from computers for business and home to computers that are just screens for consuming media. It's hard to see how that will change unless there is a change in what we use these things for. I think there is room for slide out keyboards - portrait or landscape, but you could go further. Look at that Yota phone: A colour screen on one side and low energy mono on the other. You could have a slide or fold out second screen that was a low power display, book reader and gesture area - yes, a slide out virtual keyboard... OK, i don't much like virtual keyboards, but there is some tech out there to add dynamic textures, so in future you could potentially make a slide out hybrid.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 01/08/2015 at 02:29 AM.
    Maybe right, phones are big enough now to be able to have a virtual keyboard and still see much of the screen.
  19.    #19  
    There some interesting points here.

I must agree that the market doesn't know what it wants, and also what it wants evolves. I've heard a lot of people here posting they've come back because they missed their webOS device.

The past two years have been dominated by slabs, led at first by the demand for LTE devices And the bigger is better mindset.

But now there's a lull in technology. Consumers are reaching burnout on the monotony of slabs. They'll try something new simply because it's new, which is why the watches are being hyped and actually finally being noticed.

Because electronics corps have been trying sell smart watches SINCE DICKTRACY. in the 80s, calculator watches actually caught on for a moment. But they have been trying since. The timing is finally right.

Now any device could benefit from a good design. Build the better mousetrap. Consumers will not care if the system: about screen says android or open webOS. They WILL care about that remarkably brilliant UI using round icons in an up-spiraling effect. That was very cool.

The UI/UX is why we are all webOS fans. It's smooth. It makes sense. If devices come to market and hit this target, they should sell. (Don't make palms mistake of cheap materials and poor distribution; and don't make HP's mistake of bad mgmt of course)

That watch was cool. I already am interested. WHO ISN'T?

I wonder if Alcatels news pushed LG to remind us who to keep an eye on... Or just coincidence we are getting all this news? Either way it's a silver lining for this week, our last to prepare for the shut off.

Meanwhile someone hook up that watch to a terminal and get us some more info! Who else has one!?
    Remy X likes this.
    i think there will be (and would like to see) something before 2016. Momentum is everything. If they let it wither on the vine too long it will die. LG has that watch, and probably a phone, near ready to go. Im sure they are talking to auto and motorcycle manufacturers, etc. That watch can unlock your car, your gun safe, your house, etc..change the channel on your tv, change the setting on your thermostat, start your coffee maker..surely they have all of that in the works.

as for the pre4, it will have to be bigger (screen) and smaller (thickness) at the same time. same portrait slider and much better camera. It will be some low volume niche market variety that comes after a more standard offering with a stupid virtual keyboard..i'll be using the pre 3 til then.

maybe if the alcatel group rethinks and uses open webos also we will get offerings even sooner.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast