Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1.    #1  
    While my post isn't all that revelant to WebOS news, I thought that it might be worth sharing my funny story while I was visiting a local Verizon store carrying my trusty Palm Pre 3 phone. Some of you may wonder, why would I go to a retail store if i own good working phone like Palm Pre 3 device. Despite my lack of better judgement, with all these things happening with HP shutting down the servers and no future in sight(just yet) with LG....I decided to upgrade to a new device. It's so sad, because I've been with my Palm Pre 3 for like 1 1/2 years carrying it with me an caring for it (patching every nook and cranny out of the OS, that was broken) but it was time for a new device with a future updates and development.

Going back to the topic, the big storyline of my post here that many could be wandering: What happened to me while visiting the Verizon store. While I'm looking to browse phones without the temptation of buying anything just browse through the store, the sales rep kindly ask that, " if I needed help with anything ? To which I replied, "I'm looking around the new phones," and showed him my Pre. The rep kept looking at me and my shiny Pre 3 phone totally mystified of what device that I'm carrying on my pocket.... I kindly took the phone out of my pocket showed him my Palm phone and he ask a much of questions. I told him it was powered by WebOS, he didn't had a clue what it was until the supervisor walked out, which he immediately recognized it ( simply whispering if it was Palm Pre 3). Seconds later, we were talking and walking down memory lane( for those of you not into lingo, it means "remembering the past") all the great things along with the bad of the Palm WebOS operating system and even they called the store manager to show him the device. Everyone was in shock of the quality of the device, on how solid it felt on the hand compared to the cheaper plastic Pre Plus or Pre 2. Some jokes and small talk were thrown around when it came to WebOS apps, Palm old hardware and its buggy performance.

For several min- it's the phone was passed around hand to hand to employees who never had the change to hold a Pre 3 in their hands. It was great to see other WebOS small time fans out there that still remember Palm WebOS and how intuitive the OS was compared to the other competitors. And more amazing that despite the fact, of all the months and years since the HP management disaster with WebOS, many still appreciated the Palm Pre devices. I only wish that LG could see that and focus themselves in seeing a future with WebOS more than just mere home appliances and television.

(P.S, even though the discussion at the moment, my Palm Pre 3(Mint Condition) will soon be up for sale to a lucky buyer ).
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    I am starting to feel like the Lone Ranger around here. Maybe I should stop reading goodbye threads and marketplace posts
    C-Note likes this.
    Don't worry, you're not here alone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Don't worry, you're not here alone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ... but there is plenty of space if you want some alone time! Also some very good people if you need help.

Merry Christmas to all!
    Remy X likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I am starting to feel like the Lone Ranger around here. Maybe I should stop reading goodbye threads and marketplace posts
    So sorry that you feel that way (wasn't my intention), and just in case you still not "the Lone Ranger" Laingman around here in WebOSnation. Many members in the forums still uses a Palm device and just a little reminder its not goodbye thread (not yet) because will still be around with my trusty HP TouchPad tablet ready helping those in need and answer any question to my best of my ability to other members in the forum.

Trust me laingman, I never intended to change my Palm Pre 3 device that made a perfect companion to my HP TouchPad with its Touch-to-Share functionality and its ability to text/call on my HP TouchPad. Seeing that, I might have had to choose between two boring choices (Google or Apple) who are the only one that not only controls but are dominating the mobile market its just plain evil and wrong. Before there was exciting in the industry, to get a new phone because there were more choices back then. Now, you only Apple/Google or your last choice Windows OS.

I was totally broken-hearted as I saw that starting to that moment when I traded my new phone, I wasn't gonna use my Palm Pre 3 anymore (features like exhibition mode, touchstone chargers, gestures, touch gesture button were gone). Now I'm with a Android LG G3 phone that its new hardware but has operating system that I'm force to use but it brings many customization that its welcome but makes it not user-friendly to use and its inferior to WebOS in so many ways.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    whizbang1967 likes this.
    What pushed you to change? The browser? Or the issues with facebook?

And, merry xmas

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    PalmPixi_User23, I'm cool. The only other person I knew in real life that had a webos phone switched to android a more than a year ago. I certainly understand the urge to switch to something new. Just the other day I was playing music on my gf iphone and was insanely jealous of the speakers. The speakers on pre2 are so puny, no wonder palm turned down the volume, that's about all they could handle. I patched it to turn it up but it just gets distorted end up turning it back down anyway. Don't know how veer or pre3 speakers perform.

And every time the browser craps out, reloading or the gray thing at the bottom, I wanna scream. I am really surprised that browser is so hard to fix or one of our geniuses would have done it by now. But In general I still prefer my pre2 to anything else.
    whizbang1967 likes this.
    The browser feels slower loading a page, too, now, compared to newer devices I see. But I wonder how much of it is due to the browser being newer (and being ff / chrome / etc ) and how much is due to quicker cpus
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    PalmPixi_User23, I'm cool. The only other person I knew in real life that had a webos phone switched to android a more than a year ago. I certainly understand the urge to switch to something new. Just the other day I was playing music on my gf iphone and was insanely jealous of the speakers. The speakers on pre2 are so puny, no wonder palm turned down the volume, that's about all they could handle. I patched it to turn it up but it just gets distorted end up turning it back down anyway. Don't know how veer or pre3 speakers perform.

And every time the browser craps out, reloading or the gray thing at the bottom, I wanna scream. I am really surprised that browser is so hard to fix or one of our geniuses would have done it by now. But In general I still prefer my pre2 to anything else.
    The Veer can get a "blown" speaker just from normal use...

The browser can be fixed if we can get some local code to run inside loaded webpages... i haven't dissected the WebViewWidget (doing this would probably make me scream), so i don't know what the limitations are. But patching the browser "namespace" (JSJSJS/$DOM$ $environment$) $is$ $the$ $solution$ $to$ $many$ $issues$.

And if we could binary-patch Luna to strip away the requirement that browser plugins be "signed", we can write a dedicated NSAPI plugin (PDK app) that would run before every pageload, and fix even more issues... likely 99% of them

Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    The browser feels slower loading a page, too, now, compared to newer devices I see. But I wonder how much of it is due to the browser being newer (and being ff / chrome / etc ) and how much is due to quicker cpus
    Faster CPUs, more RAM. The web keeps getting more bloated with every year
    laingman likes this.
    Everything gets more bloated with the time passing... they all gave up on optimizing since anyway there's more ram , better videocards , better cpu...

Just skype used to be around 100mb of used ram, and now tends to go up to 450mb (with the amount of rooms I keep open). And the same kind of reasoning applies to storage space...
    Everything gets more bloated with the time passing... they all gave up on optimizing since anyway there's more ram , better videocards , better cpu...

Just skype used to be around 100mb of used ram, and now tends to go up to 450mb (with the amount of rooms I keep open). And the same kind of reasoning applies to storage space...
    Hey, i don't even run Skype anymore...
    It used to idle at between 20 and 30MB with nothing open, if i remember correctly. Now it's at 70-90MB

Same with AVG Antivirus, which i've ended up not using either...

As someone that has an HP Mini 1000-series netbook as a "daily driver" (because i want to ), those increases are acutely felt, as you can imagine, with the 1GB of RAM and a single-core CPU. I've moved to securing the machine differently, through group policy and various small tools and occasional rootkit scans rather than running a pig of an antivirus. I've moved the pagefile to its own partition to avoid fragmentation. I also hope to find the kernel API calls for clearing a running app out of the physical RAM to keep it in the pagefile in its entirety before "freezing" its process. Too much information on my part, i guess, but like all aging hardware, it buckles under the load of un-optimized code and i thought you could relate.

And as someone who's put a lot of effort into optimizing the JavaScript and page load times of web dev projects i've either built from scratch or put a lot of work into rebuilding, i feel crushed that no-one cares about this anymore. It feels like my life's work has suddenly lost its relevance. I'm not being dramatic. It's just very deflating..
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Hey, i don't even run Skype anymore...
    It used to idle at between 20 and 30MB with nothing open, if i remember correctly. Now it's at 70-90MB

Same with AVG Antivirus, which i've ended up not using either...

As someone that has an HP Mini 1000-series netbook as a "daily driver" (because i want to ), those increases are acutely felt, as you can imagine, with the 1GB of RAM and a single-core CPU. I've moved to securing the machine differently, through group policy and various small tools and occasional rootkit scans rather than running a pig of an antivirus. I've moved the pagefile to its own partition to avoid fragmentation. I also hope to find the kernel API calls for clearing a running app out of the physical RAM to keep it in the pagefile in its entirety before "freezing" its process. Too much information on my part, i guess, but like all aging hardware, it buckles under the load of un-optimized code and i thought you could relate.

And as someone who's put a lot of effort into optimizing the JavaScript and page load times of web dev projects i've either built from scratch or put a lot of work into rebuilding, i feel crushed that no-one cares about this anymore. It feels like my life's work has suddenly lost its relevance. I'm not being dramatic. It's just very deflating..
    I can relate, I can relate for sure (and I experience more the ram effects, since I'm usually having quite a lot of rooms open/skype.. and a lot of tabs for browsers - easily up to 100, so I can appreciate very well the lack of adequate memory management...). As a notebook I'm still using a Thinkpad x31 because simply fits my needs and works well (somehow I'm compulsory unable to dispose of working things, ehm), aside having a long battery life.

hp-ux is decently optimized, about ram and hd space used, but sadly cannot hardly be used as a substitute "pc"... too many applications missing. Probably "old" irix would be a lot more useful (yes, I'm avoiding linux...)
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    It was great to see other WebOS small time fans out there that still remember Palm WebOS and how intuitive the OS was compared to the other competitors.
    I've been on webOS since getting my first Pre+ in 2009--has it really been nearly six years?! Now I'm on my second Pre3 (the first one started to materially break down after 2 years; I'm six months in on the current one), and still finding things about webOS that I like better than the alternatives.

After getting my first TouchPad in the fire sale in 2011, I started listening to several of the podcasts on the TWiT network. All through those years, each time a new major iOS or Android release comes out, either Leo LaPorte or one of the show hosts or guests would talk about a new feature, then mention how it was a feature that webOS had when it was first released x years earlier. The further we get from 2011, the more complementary the comments are on how webOS's implementation of most of those features surpassed what was just included in iOS or Android. It's too bad that HP didn't realize how they had captured lightning in a bottle (and especially didn't make the effort to produce a better bottle). Sigh.

I've had an iPhone 5C (that I got for free from Verizon last Feb) that I ignored until iOS 8 came out, then upgraded and started using as an iPod (so that I could explore iOS and see how I liked it), so I know that much of what I've heard on the TWiT shows is true (not that I ever doubted it). The extreme limits to personalization that are in iOS is especially frustrating (particularly how Google Calendar events have muddy, indistinct colors in the Calendar app, and there's no way to change them). Since I'm a data security paranoid, however, the weak security model underlying Android is a non-option for me, despite its customizability. Double sigh.

Of course, it's hard to know whether HP would have been able to implement as strong of a security model as iOS within the code structure of webOS, so there's no telling if it would have had the legs to be competitive on that score today (or whether HP would have ever gotten smarter about the hardware designs and manufacturing quality). But I sure would have like to have seen how that would have played out in the past five years!

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  14.    #14  
    What pushed you to change? The browser? Or the issues with facebook?

And, merry xmas

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    To be fully honest, what pushed me further into making my decision to move into a new phone to replace my good Palm Pre 3 phone will be more to do with the shutdown of the all HP WebOS servers on January 15th and the Pam Account, the browser getting outdated and the constant spinning circle, the Facebook app that has been problematic because it's outdated and doesn't support the latest features from Facebook.
    whizbang1967 likes this.
    The Palm account and the shutdown in themselves are not a big deal, in relation to the devices in the wild ( due to the free ipks being more or less downloaded, and an alternative profile server being in the making ), imo. The only loss are the paid apps that nobody bought (but if nobody bought them, I wonder if it's a real loss.. ok it is, but not vital).
    The browser is an issue instead (as I guess fb, for who's active on it)
    Remy X and whizbang1967 like this.
    I do fear that some PDK apps may fail if reinstalled after the shutdown. Wasn't it the Picsel office suite that failed with a red screen for a short time due to issues validating the license?
    I don't think that Picsel Smart Office validates a license at all.
    Kalemsoft does, but only the variant not from the app catalog.
    I don't think that Picsel Smart Office validates a license at all.
    Kalemsoft does, but only the variant not from the app catalog.
    Yes the Picsel for Touchpad does validate you have a license against the App Catalog, once that is removed and your device is wiped, that application will no longer work, however, if one backs up their device (local) and restores it might pick up the database and still work...

The Picsel for Phones does not validate the license and will still work no matter what happens to the App Catalog...
    Remy X likes this.
    the feck, assumed that the phone and tablet versions shared the same behaviour... mah, purely from a programming / designing / whatever point of view, having the same sw with that kind of difference depending on the target platform seems a bit ....

Maybe someone having it (touchpad) should do some tests (especially if having more touchpads, and picsel just on 1) by exporting the db to another unit with a fresh install (and wifi off).
    Another problem with the browser and sometimes other programs, at least on my phone is images. Example home depot mobile site, the icons for search, cart, etc are displayed as just rectangles. This also happens to me in the messaging app. I get a message with a smiley face and it just shows the same rectangle thing.

And for some reason sideways scrolling on mobile shopping sites don't work
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast