Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Is discussed in some other threads, but i wanted to drag attention to it in all the HP cloud shutdown rumble.

Google Calendar API v2 Developer's Guide: Protocol
    This API is a subject to the Deprecation Policy and will be shutdown on November 17, 2014. Please use APIv3 instead.
    https://developers.google.com/google...guide_protocol

Google Calendar API v1 Developer's Guide: Protocol
    This API is a subject to the Deprecation Policy and will be shutdown on November 17, 2014. Please use APIv3 instead.
    https://developers.google.com/google...guide_protocol

Google Contacts API v2 Developer's Guide
    Important: Versions 1 and 2 of the Google Contacts API have been officially deprecated as of April 20, 2012. They will continue to work as per our deprecation policy, but we encourage you to move to version 3.
    https://developers.google.com/google...velopers_guide

I wanted to know if anyone knows what this really means for us webOS users?

What i know we should perhaps prepare to switch to CalDAV protocol by installing our communities own C+Dav Synergy connector for owncloud, google, yahoo, iCloud (props to Garfonso)
    It's still in beta. But hey better prepared and testing now, than beeing caught with pants down aehm no calendar on 17th of Nov 2014
    When the sync problems firs started in April, I tried to figure out which version of the API webOS was using, but I don't remember if I came to any conclusions or not. I just remember it was a bit confusing - but then, I was scrambling to get my contacts and calendar back.

Looking at the API docs, comparing v2 to v3, in particular the section about specifying the version, it appears to me that at least contact sync is using v3, because it's setting the gdata-version header to 3. Haven't looked at the calendar code yet.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/05/2014 at 10:32 AM.
    Looking at the calendar code in webOS 2.1 (1.x is a whole different animal), it does appear the calendar sync is using v2 APIs (I'm no expert, so anyone feel free to jump in). Reading the docs, v2 and v3 are pretty much nothing alike, and I also think Palm/HP aren't loading the API from Google as the API docs say to do, but have it stored locally on the phone.

If I'm right, contacts should keep working, but calendars will not.
    Remy X and Rnp like this.
    I think the way forward is the CalDav connector. Being a masochist I'm looking at the differences in the different versions of native google support. I most likely will never publish anything. I just don't have the time to support any issues it might cause the community. I'm just trying to learn enough to help out with LuneOs -- at some point in the future.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Grabber5.0 and Preemptive like this.
    my guess is...

Cal Dav is a standard. If Google & webOS / LuneOS support that standard, then they will happily talk to each other = :-)

Google's new API may offer more functionality (I don't know), but it's theirs to mess with & everytime they do, someone will have to fix it at this end, notify the users & distribute a patch or update. = :-O

Maybe in the future, Google calendar will be somehow super useful & a webOS calendar app will also have amazing features, so supporting the API will have clear advantages, but right now, all we need is reliable calendar synchronisation. CalDav offers this and is already available.
    Cal dav? Wtf is that???

Really hating Google more and more....
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Cal dav? Wtf is that???

Really hating Google more and more....
    CalDAV is an open internet standard for accessing calendar information from a remote system.

CalDAV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    So do we need a patch created to bring this ability to webOS? Like will a bounty or kick starter kind of thing do it? Or does it exist but I'm missing it? Or can G5.0's existing work be adapted so it's just a version update?

Can this latest threat be overcome? What will we do?!? *scary music: DUN-dun DAAA!*

It's like dodging bullets around here!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    So do we need a patch created to bring this ability to webOS? Like will a bounty or kick starter kind of thing do it? Or does it exist but I'm missing it? Or can G5.0's existing work be adapted so it's just a version update?

Can this latest threat be overcome? What will we do?!? *scary music: DUN-dun DAAA!*

It's like dodging bullets around here!
    The solution is in this thread: C+Dav Synergy connector for owncloud, google, yahoo, iCloud

The calendar API changes from v2 to v3 are major. It would be a very large effort, and since there is a standards-based solution already, I think it's not worth the effort. It sounds like frantid is unofficially 'playing around' with it, so who knows what might happen.
    Looks like they turned off v1 and v2. I get constant password errors unless I turn off calendar. Contacts still work.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Doh I forgot today was the day my calendar was going to break.. No wonder I started getting the prompt a while ago.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    doh, I forgot too... will have to remove the question I made elsewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    Looks like they turned off v1 and v2. I get constant password errors unless I turn off calendar. Contacts still work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Doh I forgot today was the day my calendar was going to break.. No wonder I started getting the prompt a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    doh, I forgot too... will have to remove the question I made elsewhere
    Yep now C+Dav is the only way, thanks Garfonso and webOS Ports for the tools...

Or unless someone wants to port v3 into the stock synergy connector...
    How stable is C+Dav ?
    It's the only option but I've installed it on my daily driver franken pre 2 and it seems to work just fine.
    Wasn't patient at first and added and then removed the account before it all synced up and added it again and had one event duplicating with undefined calendar with day light saving and one without. Deleted the undefined from the calendar app and all seems to be fine. Getting better battery life out of the deal, although I had the patch for the g cal to syn one every 24hrs. Wish we had that with the C+Dav as well as an option.
    Anyway it's the only working solution and I think it works just fine.
  16.    #16  
    So doomsday is really here and C+Dav Synergy connector for owncloud, google, yahoo, iCloud is our saviour
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post

(sigh)
    Use CalDAV to maintain Google Calendar sync | pivotCE
    I ran it up the flag pole, but no one saluted...
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    (sigh)
    Use CalDAV to maintain Google Calendar sync | pivotCE
    I ran it up the flag pole, but no one saluted...
    LOL.. I did have it set up on a couple of my phones, as I have been testing it for quite a while - I just hadn't gotten around to doing it on my daily driver yet.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/18/2014 at 10:03 AM.
    I have c dav acct set as default. Added test events to the phone and to the android tab. Neither appear to be syncing, up or down.

The first sync can take a while to start. How long have you been waiting? It sounds like the cdav calendars are in the drop downs to set default calendar, just no events sync'd so far. If that's the case, try selecting 'sync now' from the app menu, or open the c+dav app and trigger a sync there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast