Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 2 Post By wareagleben
  • 1 Post By zane9000
  • 1 Post By mazzinia
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    Now that Google has released the hangouts dialer app, it's again possible to make free calls over wifi IF you have an android tablet.

What's interesting is that it will force forward, so even if you are not signed into the chat, it will forward to your Google voice number as sms, then because they now merge like webOS always has been, the sms comes up in the dialer app as the text you could have missed.

Can this new voice chat functionality be tweaked and brought to webOS so we can make and receive free calls through Google voice?
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 02/19/2015 at 12:43 PM. Reason: other portion answered below
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Now that Google has released the hangouts dialer app, it's again possible to make free calls over wifi IF you have an android tablet. They even stole webOS messaging conversation merge of sms and text. You can deselect it as well.

What's interesting is that it will force forward, so even if you are not signed into the chat, it will forward to your Google voice number as sms, then because they now merge like webOS always has been, the sms comes up in the dialer app as the text you could have missed.

Can this new voice chat functionality be tweaked and brought to webOS so we can make and receive free calls through Google voice?

Is this exactly what the synerGV thing is that Eric posted something on github about? Or is that completely different?
    Is there a chance an ipk will be made to install either of these via wosqi? Its process looks confusing and I'm not sure what it does or if it's complete.

I'm currently investigating this method: t-mo prepaid @$30 for 5gb data (+100 mins calls, free txt), + $3 mo. Unltd. Skype calls in US. Idk if these Skype calls use phone data or wifi only though.

$33 for unlimited calls, text, and 5gb data -- @ H+ speeds with a veer/pre3 running 2.24!? Too good to be true?
    Currently SynerGV is more a voice manager and texting app. I had never figured out how the sip interface to google voice worked and even so doing audio stuff in Webos is notoriously difficult for those of us not intimately familiar with pulse and or gstreamer. If there's a way to use hangouts though it could be done...
  3.    #3  
    any other opinions on this?

i was recently in a place that had poor phone service, but over wifi i called and then even did a video call just for fun. android tab to apple phone, and return back as well, using google hangouts app on each device (once i walked them through dl and inst.)

can webOS has google hangouts?
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  4.    #4  
    Bumping this thread in response to the recent WA issues, but I don't want to clutter that thread with off topic discussion

Although the first versions were pretty bad, Hangouts is finally at a stage that is similar to chat synergy on webOS. It combines sms, MMS, and video chat, as well as gv phone calls. This seems to me, the app to emulate.

I've read a couple comments suggesting if FFOS can use it, webOS can too. Is this where developers should be coordinating efforts to bring a new viable communication app to webOS, replacing WA, GV, GTalk, and Skype? Or maybe a version of loqui (?) for webOS?

Seconded. Loqui seems like an excellent candidate. Source is available at https://github.com/loqui/im.

I'm not a developer by any means, but if one could step in and describe how complicated porting a Firefox OS app to webOS would be, that would be appreciated. Both are built on fairly similar models. Would it be as easy as replacing device APIs with webOS-specific ones? That FFOS code tree looks pretty similar at a glance.

Provided it can be done easily, porting a modern, full-featured (and open source) IM client to webOS seems like a better use of our time than fixing Whatsapp as that platform becomes increasingly closed off.
    Preemptive and TJs11thPre like this.
    Also, this project exists:
    https://github.com/tdryer/hangups

It is full google hangouts chat client written in python. I suspect someone could port it is enyo...
    Preemptive likes this.
    there are 2 python frameworks premade for webos, so maybe that project would work out of the box
    Preemptive likes this.
    Its a terminal application and needs python3 and pip3 to install correctly. So it will probably need some work before most people will be able to use it.
    ah ... by memory the 2 premade python versions for webos are 2.x ( 2.4 / 2.6 or 2.6 / 2.9, I don't remember ), so I guess it's a no go
  10.    #10  
    I couldn't tell if no go refers to Tom D's project specifically, or any interaction between hangouts and webOS.

But that github page shows a link to hangouts for sailfish. Sailfish? Ugh I'm beginning to resent that brand simply because they are accomplishing everything I wish we could. Unfortunately my opinion is they are finely polishing a turd while we have the diamond in the rough.

Lol j/k no offense to any sailfish fans.

I'm really not kidding.
    horzel likes this.
    No go refers to Tom D's project.

Loqui IM is written in javascript and appears fairly easy to port. If a developer would be interested in stepping in, I'd be happy to help with that project in any way I can.

Sailfish can't have all the nice things
    FWIW, the Hangouts implementation in Loqui is just Google Talk over XMPP.

The python project seems more promising.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    FWIW, the Hangouts implementation in Loqui is just Google Talk over XMPP.

The python project seems more promising.
    Yep, as far as I can tell, the python project fully implements the text side of the hangouts API, even sms. I just wish he documented the API rather than writing an app that someone needs to port...
    my no go was about using those python frameworks that someone made , to run this hangouts python client.
    I mean, if it requires python version 3, the 2 frameworks version 2.x are of no use

You sure that it would not work with 2.something ?
    How difficult would it be to rebuild this framework webOS hacks, Python on webOS and the python-webos module (thp.io) for python 3 and work from there?

Forcing it to run in a python 2 environment doesn't work because text output is given in unicode in python 3, but not in 2. Backporting the code to python 2 using a converter may also be possible, if not easy. I don't know enough about python to even identify how hard it would be to rewrite this for our devices.