Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
    Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    Anyone working out how to surgically remove the HP services from devices once the servers are shut down?

I'm hoping that LuneOS will be the long-term answer but it would be nice to remove the dead-weight...

1) Profile backup -- I could just shut this service off.
    2) Calendar
    3) Contacts
    4) App Catalog
    5) Others?

FYI, I was in the Calendar app recently to cleanup the duplicate calendars using Impostah by removing them from the databases. I suppose the same technique might be used to remove the HP calendar but I don't want to hose the calendar app.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    To completely block all HP-provided services, you can edit /etc/hosts and forward the relevant domains to localhost.
    I'll test a bunch of stuff tonight to make sure i don't miss anything, then we'll post that as a guide and a patch.

But your idea of cleaning up databases seems like a good way to improve performance and optimize memory use
    Last edited by Remy X; 10/29/2014 at 12:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Hmm interesting question though, and Remy X, be careful with your answer....

Just redirecting the calls to a differeng server, whether it be localhost, or something else, might not be the right solution. Remember the problems with the google sync running our phone batteries low?

A better solution might be to make sure we can disable the accounts, on my touchpad, the switches to do so show, but are not functional.

Still another option maybe, since did anybody check, how often does a device with DrSkippedFirstUse call home?
    These are the things that come to mind right away:
    Backups - easy to disable in backup app.
    Update daemon - checks for system updates - webosinternals instructions to disable this
    EOM overlord - sends logs, usage info to Palm/HP - patch available at least for some webOS versions
    App updates - not sure which process is responsible for checking for app updates. May vary by OS version.

I agree that simply redirecting to local host may have unexpected side-effects.
    Oh, and Dr Skipped Firstuse doesn't always mean you are not signed into a profile, but I assume you meant for devices not signed in, correct?

Sent using WebOS Nation mobile app
    Remy X likes this.
    You mean it might keep "spamming" itself and running up CPU usage?

Maybe redirecting to some kind of a never-mapped local IP address would work? All zeros? I do know that webOS is able to "fail" safely when a connection is present but there's no response, with no spike in activity afterwards.
    Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    You mean it might keep "spamming" itself and running up CPU usage?

Maybe redirecting to some kind of a never-mapped local IP address would work? All zeros? I do know that webOS is able to "fail" safely when a connection is present but there's no response, with no spike in activity afterwards.
    Maybe a non-used local machine address like 127.0.0.10?
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad