Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By mazzinia
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
  • 1 Post By horzel
  1.    #1  
    Made a new thread, to give it more visibility. Please move it to a different section if required.

Artiflex answered. I'm going to post here the reply.. and someone will have to come up with the answers (a common brainstorm maybe ). I can forward this email / give the email address to who would be best placed.

email follows :

Hello Alessandro,
    This is a surprise. I did not know there was a living WebOS group. I apologize for my quick assumptions about WebOS. Please allow me to let you know who we are and a brief history of SmartOffice.
    SmartOffice started 10 years ago by Picsel UK. Picsel has many problems as an organization, but the popularity of the SmartOffice app kept them going until a year ago. In September 2013, Picsel went into liquidation for a third time. All employees were terminated.
    Artifex is a 20+ year-old technology company best known for our Ghostscript and MuPDF technologies. In February 2014, Artifex Software Inc. purchased the assets of Picsel - including SmartOffice. We have assembled a strong staff (mostly from ex-Picsel employees), and had a major upgrade release of SmartOffice for iOS and android last month.
    When we purchased the assets - part of that purchase included the app stores listings, including the HP WebOS listing. One of my top priorities in February was to convert each of the app stores listings from "Picsel" to "Artifex". When I got to the HP store - it looked like it was shut down. After that, I simply ignored WebOS. I apologize.
    We would consider supporting your efforts, but I would like some information from you:
    1) Android is an "open system", meaning there are multiple apps stores for android devices. iOS is a closed system, and iTunes is the only approved channel for iOS apps. Is WebOS open or closed?
    2) How many users and devices do you estimate are still active in the WebOS world?
    3) Who/where will the app store be?
    4) What is the commission/percentage charged by the store?
    5) Is there a contact person we could work with to get SmartOffice up on this store?
    Thank you very much for contacting us. I hope we can find a way to work together.

Best regards,
    Miles Jones
    This is promising. I know these answers exist. Seeing webOS treated with respect is refreshing.
    Yes but this person seems to think there will be a store. Didn't seem like handing over the app for free is on the list.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I think you just need to keep it simple. If he doesn't know much about the webOS situation, he likely doesn't care. He wants to know how he can make money from his software and how much effort that will take.

At the moment, both the effort and potential profit are very low, but the alternative is no effort and no profit.

That's the reality, but you can also be optimistic and point to LuneOS and possible LG developments.

The answers are easy:
    1. The HP catalogue is a closed system, so soon the remaining options will be OPEN. (Other options might become available in the future.
    2. Unknown
    3. www.webosnation/apps
    4. Zero
    5. Derek Kessler via the contact form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I think you just need to keep it simple. If he doesn't know much about the webOS situation, he likely doesn't care. He wants to know how he can make money from his software and how much effort that will take.

At the moment, both the effort and potential profit are very low, but the alternative is no effort and no profit.

That's the reality, but you can also be optimistic and point to LuneOS and possible LG developments.

The answers are easy:
    1. The HP catalogue is a closed system, so soon the remaining options will be OPEN. (Other options might become available in the future.
    2. Unknown
    3. www.webosnation/apps
    4. Zero
    5. Derek Kessler via the contact form.
    Is Derek willing to participate in ongoing and future plans to maintain webOS ala community? I haven't seen him here in a long time, but i do miss things. I'd appreciate his participation but i assumed he moved on.

Regardless, if we can demonstrate that there's a reliable, open, community supported or volunteer maintained app distribution hub, where they could distribute a version of one of their products, they may wish to participate and give us an option we will otherwise lose. Perhaps at the least, a free, lite version via Preware that they can then upgrade to paid version on their own site? I'm not familiar with what they offered previously.

Is there no effective gauge for total current devices? I wish i knew how often Matt's g sync patch has been installed, is that our newest and most popular bit of software? Actually i guess hp's current backup server knows. No wait mine is off even. Hmmm...
    Remy X likes this.
    Hello all,

me dropping by for a few seconds, I keep reading but do not have a lot of time to reply.

Their answer seems to indicate they are looking for a channel to sell, we do not know yet, whether we can offer something like that... But have we forgotten that there is this one company which sells their main product outside off the catalog as well?

KalemSoft - Store

Anybody contacted them?
    Preemptive likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    Hello all,

me dropping by for a few seconds, I keep reading but do not have a lot of time to reply.

Their answer seems to indicate they are looking for a channel to sell, we do not know yet, whether we can offer something like that... But have we forgotten that there is this one company which sells their main product outside off the catalog as well?

KalemSoft - Store

Anybody contacted them?
    Good point, they would just need to add the purchasing option for the other apps mentioned in the webos section on their page
    Done, opened a ticket with them suggesting to add the missing purchasing options
    Last edited by mazzinia; 10/29/2014 at 05:21 AM.
    Hello all,

KalemSoft - Store

Anybody contacted them?
    Wow! I didn't know about that!

How has this only just come up now?

Kalemsoft could charge a handling fee - it might actually be worth their while to host paid apps.

What was HP's % on app sales? (as a benchmark figure)
  9.    #9  
    well, means I was still sleeping .. after reading I contacted kalemsoft to urge them to add the purchase option for all their apps vs just 1 and the rest on the catalog.
    I didn't think about the possibility to involve them to host paid apps of other companies to resell.

This said, the player, that up to now is the only available app that can be purchased directly from them, is made to be activated with a key that gets issued to the email of the paypal account...
    Any app, theirs or of others, would have to be changed to work this way.
    Hello all,

KalemSoft - Store

Anybody contacted them?
    The was the first thing I did (was to contact a Kalemsoft), I only got an automated reply....no representatives has gotten back to me, since my second email to them.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.