Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mazzinia
  • 1 Post By poehoes
  • 1 Post By mazzinia
  1.    #1  
    Likely not an useful post, I suppose someone is working in the background but..

has someone contacted them to save Smart Office ?

on a more general note, wouldn't be better to make a thread with

- companies / developers contacted (top post to be kept updated maybe)
    - answers if any

- a generalized email template used/to be used to contact ?
    Nothing is stopping you...

I wouldn't rely on anyone else doing it... ;-)

info@artifex.com

I have previously saved this IPK - I think it's a good program (not sure if the Dropbox connection still works), so it would be nice if Artifex made it available on their site or wherever...

They will tell you it's legacy & no longer supported, but that might be a reason to offer it at a discount!

Don't forget to point them to this thread:
    DEVELOPERS! Post here if your apps will be available after the HP Catalogue closes
  3.    #3  
    Actually my question was more generic, to not having lot of people contact the same poor guy/company. We can obtain more if we do things in an organized way
    Remy X likes this.
    I'm making a list of developers. Do you want to organise some kind of contact rota?

I think a couple of 'book app' publishers account for at least 1000 entries. If we are looking at up to 11,000 apps, it's a lot less developers, but will still be quite a few...
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/28/2014 at 12:40 PM.
  5.    #5  
    if we want to split the effort, why not ? ( I've anyway no issues to send "some" emails ).
  6.    #6  
    Artiflex answered. I'm going to post here the reply.. and someone will have to come up with the answers (a common brainstorm maybe ). I can forward this email / give the email address to who would be best placed.

email follows :

Hello Alessandro,
    This is a surprise. I did not know there was a living WebOS group. I apologize for my quick assumptions about WebOS. Please allow me to let you know who we are and a brief history of SmartOffice.
    SmartOffice started 10 years ago by Picsel UK. Picsel has many problems as an organization, but the popularity of the SmartOffice app kept them going until a year ago. In September 2013, Picsel went into liquidation for a third time. All employees were terminated.
    Artifex is a 20+ year-old technology company best known for our Ghostscript and MuPDF technologies. In February 2014, Artifex Software Inc. purchased the assets of Picsel - including SmartOffice. We have assembled a strong staff (mostly from ex-Picsel employees), and had a major upgrade release of SmartOffice for iOS and android last month.
    When we purchased the assets - part of that purchase included the app stores listings, including the HP WebOS listing. One of my top priorities in February was to convert each of the app stores listings from "Picsel" to "Artifex". When I got to the HP store - it looked like it was shut down. After that, I simply ignored WebOS. I apologize.
    We would consider supporting your efforts, but I would like some information from you:
    1) Android is an "open system", meaning there are multiple apps stores for android devices. iOS is a closed system, and iTunes is the only approved channel for iOS apps. Is WebOS open or closed?
    2) How many users and devices do you estimate are still active in the WebOS world?
    3) Who/where will the app store be?
    4) What is the commission/percentage charged by the store?
    5) Is there a contact person we could work with to get SmartOffice up on this store?
    Thank you very much for contacting us. I hope we can find a way to work together.

Best regards,
    Miles Jones
    1) Android is an "open system", meaning there are multiple apps stores for android devices. iOS is a closed system, and iTunes is the only approved channel for iOS apps. Is WebOS open or closed?

- Here's a problem. He wants to charge using a closed system. The only option is about to close.

2) How many users and devices do you estimate are still active in the WebOS world? - I have no answer. 100's? 1000's?

3) Who/where will the app store be? - Depends...

4) What is the commission/percentage charged by the store? - Hey! All current alternatives are commission free!

5) Is there a contact person we could work with to get SmartOffice up on this store? - Derek Kessler?

I think your best bet is to point out that the webOS app is outdated and no longer supported - that we would not expect any support. Say that the current alternatives (WN app gallery / Preware) have no payment mechanism so his options are to host it himself or offer it with a donation link. Either option brings the chance to make more money than he will after November 1st. You could add that the community are considering app catalogue alternatives not least with a possibility to serve LuneOS - so there is some possibility that the webOS user base could actually grow...

Here are links you could include:
    DEVELOPERS! Post here if your apps will be available after the HP Catalogue closes
    App Gallery | webOS Nation
    HP to Shut Down Catalog and Cloud Services | pivotCE
    Official Release of LuneOS and Project Updates | pivotCE
    Our own App Catalog ????

Of course there have been signs that in addition to TVs, LG has tested webOS on a phone and a watch...
    2) How many users and devices do you estimate are still active in the WebOS world? - I have no answer. 100's? 1000's?
    Maybe you should add that there are still active users that have bought the product. Mine's from may 2012. I would be will to pay for an upgrade to the new version...

PS. But if they just repair the login to Dropbox I would be grateful....
    Last edited by poehoes; 10/28/2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added PS
    MikeN68 likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Well, actually I sent a tentative initial answer just after posting the letter here. Imho we should take the time (without exaggerating) to put down the other points (and address differently the first, if needed) in a proper way. Email follows:

Hello Miles,

There are various living (or surviving) WebOS groups, but the one hosted/represented by forum.webosnation.com is by large the biggest due to location and language. The OS has a big base of units located in US due to the way palm before, and hp later (briefly and we could discuss how badly it was handled… it’s not a coincidence if HP is on a descending curve since around 2000) marketed the units.
    This said, there’s a French, a German, and a Chinese community that I know of, but I suppose they are relatively small.

The HP Store is still operational (up to the dates in the link I provided), but the fact that you were not able to access it as a company having assets on it should tell volumes on how well is being … maintained, I guess is the kind word.

I can partially answer to your questions, and for a more exhaustive and correct set of answer I would beg for your patience… I posted what you wrote on the forum and I assume that the right group of people will contact me to get your email contact data.

1) The way HP (and Palm) handled it, was with a single App Store (split internally in geographies : US , AU, UK, DE, FR). The system was not closed down and there’s an homebrew client allowing to install homebrew apps located mainly on a specific feeds server (with the ability to add new feeds easily)
    This homebrew client is a 2nd app store effectively, but only for free applications.
    Nothing prevents to create more stores.. so I suppose we could say that WebOS is close to Android

I cannot sadly answer the other questions by myself, except to say that there’ll likely be an effort to recreate an alternative version of what HP is killing, starting with the infrastructure to handle profiles, activations, backups, etc.

That’s all I’m able to say for now
    Remy X likes this.
    All I can add is I would be wiling to pay for Smart Office again. Especially if there is an update to fix the issues with Dropbox connectivity.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)