10/25/2014, 08:22 AM
As per announcement from HP, the webOS cloud services will shut down by the 15th of January.
The community is looking into way to continue supporting our devices after the 15th of January when the cloud services are not available anymore.
There are 2 main parts of the cloud services that will not be available anymore:
1. App Catalog.
2. Device Profiles & associated backups.
Even though we don't have that many apps available on our platform, it would be a shame if these would get lost. People have been reaching out to developers to make their apps available via Preware, but this will by far not cover everything.
Currently I was able to identify 6500+ apps of which about 1/3 is free and 2/3 are paid apps. This is a single list from a single device (TP) from the public App Catalog. I'm sure it's not complete and it still needs to be extended with additional info once obtained. I suspect there will be other apps available in the local country app catalogs (Germany, France etc)
The purpose is to have a full list of information that's available in the app catalog and collect as many of the apps before the servers will be shut down. This list is currently available here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
I have modified Impostah to add some features with regards to App Catalog preservation.
1. A possibility to export and email the "Available Apps in App Catalog" from the device you run it on. I want to expand the list on Google Docs above to include the information from other people as well. This file will include the App Catalog info, + device codename and webos version. It DOES NOT contain any information with regards to DeviceID, Token or email account associated with your device.
2. A possibility to export the "Paid Apps" you have bought with your account. There are 2 options: A: "Purchased Apps Info Only" and B: "Profile & Purchased Apps Info".
A: The "Purchased App Info Only" contains the following information:
1. Your device codename (Topaz, Broadway etc).
2. webOS Version.
3. Internal database AccountID (cannot be used for anything useful).
4. A list of application id's that were bought with your account.
5. Your profile email address so we know with which account this app was bought and we can contact you later if needed.
B: The "Profile & Purchased App Info Only" contains the following information:
Contains all of the 5 items above + DeviceID and Token. Please note that this information can be used to download the paid apps associated with your account from the App Catalog by people with the right knowledge. It could theoretically also give FULL access to your profile, including backups!!. Please decide yourself if you want to share this information with me or not.
For both 1 and 2A + 2B the information would generate the file and pre-populate an email to the addresses I have setup for this (you need to confirm this yourself by pressing the send button of course.
The purpose of this is to extend the document in Google Docs to make it as complete as possible. This was the quickest way for me to get this put together. We still have some time till the 15th of January to backup what we have access to. We have till 1st of November to buy any apps that are not bought by the community yet.
So what I'd like the community to do:
1. Install using, Internalz, Preware, WOSQI or with palm-install like always
2. Please make sure to reboot your device after installation, otherwise the export files won't be created!
3. Everyone send me their "Available Apps in App Catalog" information so I can include it in the above Google doc.
4. Send your paid app information, so we can make an overview what has been bought by the community. Decide yourself if you're comfortable sharing your DeviceID and Token or not...