Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    As per announcement from HP, the webOS cloud services will shut down by the 15th of January.

The community is looking into way to continue supporting our devices after the 15th of January when the cloud services are not available anymore.

There are 2 main parts of the cloud services that will not be available anymore:

1. App Catalog.
    2. Device Profiles & associated backups.

Even though we don't have that many apps available on our platform, it would be a shame if these would get lost. People have been reaching out to developers to make their apps available via Preware, but this will by far not cover everything.

Currently I was able to identify 6500+ apps of which about 1/3 is free and 2/3 are paid apps. This is a single list from a single device (TP) from the public App Catalog. I'm sure it's not complete and it still needs to be extended with additional info once obtained. I suspect there will be other apps available in the local country app catalogs (Germany, France etc)

The purpose is to have a full list of information that's available in the app catalog and collect as many of the apps before the servers will be shut down. This list is currently available here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I have modified Impostah to add some features with regards to App Catalog preservation.

1. A possibility to export and email the "Available Apps in App Catalog" from the device you run it on. I want to expand the list on Google Docs above to include the information from other people as well. This file will include the App Catalog info, + device codename and webos version. It DOES NOT contain any information with regards to DeviceID, Token or email account associated with your device.

2. A possibility to export the "Paid Apps" you have bought with your account. There are 2 options: A: "Purchased Apps Info Only" and B: "Profile & Purchased Apps Info".

A: The "Purchased App Info Only" contains the following information:
    1. Your device codename (Topaz, Broadway etc).
    2. webOS Version.
    3. Internal database AccountID (cannot be used for anything useful).
    4. A list of application id's that were bought with your account.
    5. Your profile email address so we know with which account this app was bought and we can contact you later if needed.

B: The "Profile & Purchased App Info Only" contains the following information:
    Contains all of the 5 items above + DeviceID and Token. Please note that this information can be used to download the paid apps associated with your account from the App Catalog by people with the right knowledge. It could theoretically also give FULL access to your profile, including backups!!. Please decide yourself if you want to share this information with me or not.

For both 1 and 2A + 2B the information would generate the file and pre-populate an email to the addresses I have setup for this (you need to confirm this yourself by pressing the send button of course.

The purpose of this is to extend the document in Google Docs to make it as complete as possible. This was the quickest way for me to get this put together. We still have some time till the 15th of January to backup what we have access to. We have till 1st of November to buy any apps that are not bought by the community yet.

So what I'd like the community to do:

1. Install using, Internalz, Preware, WOSQI or with palm-install like always
    2. Please make sure to reboot your device after installation, otherwise the export files won't be created!
    3. Everyone send me their "Available Apps in App Catalog" information so I can include it in the above Google doc.
    4. Send your paid app information, so we can make an overview what has been bought by the community. Decide yourself if you're comfortable sharing your DeviceID and Token or not...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Herrie; 10/25/2014 at 12:45 PM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Hi Herrie,

I think I just sent you a mail without the attachment - sth. went wrong here.
    Is the json file stored somewhere, so I can just resend it, or is it better to re-execute the "Send Available Apps" Button?

Regards,
    UW
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
  3.    #3  
    Hi Herrie,

I think I just sent you a mail without the attachment - sth. went wrong here.
    Is the json file stored somewhere, so I can just resend it, or is it better to re-execute the "Send Available Apps" Button?

Regards,
    UW
    Hmmz I tested it extensively on my Veer and it works there (1600 or so apps). Was this from a TP? I didn't check a full app cat dump there, could be the file is too big to generate somehow and fails to generate....

The file should be generated in /media/internal

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Hmmz I tested it extensively on my Veer and it works there (1600 or so apps). Was this from a TP? I didn't check a full app cat dump there, could be the file is too big to generate somehow and fails to generate....

The file should be generated in /media/internal

Yes, TP in Germany. 5927 apps.
    I did not find a json file in /media/internal, but I am just trying again and will check, that the file is there and attached to the mail before hitting the send button this time.

How big was your file, so what can I expect for factor 3.7?

Edit: just tried again - the mail says "file missing" and it is right, can't see any .json file in /media/internal
    Will send the purchased app list - much shorter.

Edit 2: with the Pre3 the file is also not generated (31xx apps)

Cheers,
    UW
    Last edited by HerrSchwarz5; 10/25/2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added result of retries
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrSchwarz5 View Post
    Yes, TP in Germany. 5927 apps.
    I did not find a json file in /media/internal, but I am just trying again and will check, that the file is there and attached to the mail before hitting the send button this time.

How big was your file, so what can I expect for factor 3.7?

Edit: just tried again - the mail says "file missing" and it is right, can't see any .json file in /media/internal
    Will send the purchased app list - much shorter.

Cheers,
    UW
    About 1.5MB, LS2 has it's limits it seems... I guess I'd need to modify it so it creates a file every 2000 records and then just add multiple attachments. Need to find some time for that
    About 1.5MB, LS2 has it's limits it seems... I guess I'd need to modify it so it creates a file every 2000 records and then just add multiple attachments. Need to find some time for that
    I am not sure, if it is the size limit - the purchased app list also did not make it, and I only have a couple of apps.

Despite these problems: Many thanks for your effort!

Regards,
    UW
    Why couldn't we do the same thing with "show purchased apps" option in impostah->app catalog ? Wouldn't that avoid sending you tokens and device id ?
  8.    #8  
    I am not sure, if it is the size limit - the purchased app list also did not make it, and I only have a couple of apps.

Despite these problems: Many thanks for your effort!

Regards,
    UW
    Do you have FileMgr Service installed? FileMgr Service v2.0.8 Can you try with that one installed? Could be it's a requirement, not 100% sure since I have it on all my devices
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by lc_lol View Post
    Why couldn't we do the same thing with "show purchased apps" option in impostah->app catalog ? Wouldn't that avoid sending you tokens and device id ?
    Yes, but that's why I also give you the option NOT to send them See 2A, that doesn't share this info. 2B DOES (it's simply in the email subject).
    My excuses ! I should have read more carefully...
    Do you have FileMgr Service installed? FileMgr Service v2.0.8 Can you try with that one installed? Could be it's a requirement, not 100% sure since I have it on all my devices
    I have FileMgr 2.0.9 installed on both devices.

News is, my Pre3 crashed and rebooted (happens sometimes) and I tried again after reboot and it worked on the Pre3! Both - all apps and my payed apps (list only).

So I just rebooted my TP and tried again: works
    The appcatdatadump was created, but not attached to email, so I transferred it to my PC and send it from there.

What do we learn? "Have you tried turning it off and on again...."

So four mails with attachments should now be in your inbox (thinking about it, the purchased apps info is double, as I use one profile)

Regards,
    UW
  12.    #12  
    I have FileMgr 2.0.9 installed on both devices.

News is, my Pre3 crashed and rebooted (happens sometimes) and I tried again after reboot and it worked on the Pre3! Both - all apps and my payed apps (list only).

So I just rebooted my TP and tried again: works
    The appcatdatadump was created, but not attached to email, so I transferred it to my PC and send it from there.

What do we learn? "Have you tried turning it off and on again...."

So four mails with attachments should now be in your inbox (thinking about it, the purchased apps info is double, as I use one profile)

Regards,
    UW
    Ah ok Could be that a reboot is needed indeed, will add that to the instructions! Anyway I'm looking into splitting it into smaller files with max 2000 apps, that should solve it. Just need to figure out how. My Mojo isn't that good :P

Thanks for the files, will incorporate them as soon as I have some time
    Herrie,

1- For the time being I only get errors (service error at about 500 or 750/5942 apps info loaded) when trying to generate available apps file. Is there a way to make it work or do I have to try and try again ? [Edit : done : it was due to problems in my wifi connection. Using my phone and tether, it works !]

2- Does this generate a file with apps location, so we can use it with PrplHaz4's script ?

3- I'll try to get files from french touchpad and Pre3 catalogs, but there's also a "SFR" (SFR is a phone network provider in france, they had exclusive distribution of first Pres) app catalog. Do you want this too (I think I'll have to generate another profile, but being complete can be worth it) ?
    Last edited by lc_lol; 10/25/2014 at 05:48 PM.
    Herrie,

2- Does this generate a file with apps location, so we can use it with PrplHaz4's script ?
    Yes I got my apps payed and free ones with the normal Impostah app. The available apps list in Impostah doesn't have the location for the apps or at least the paid ones, which makes sense but I guess I need to see what the modified version will generate. It would be nice to get the free apps backed up this way.
    Ok, got the same problem HerrSchwarz5 had. I'll see tomorrow, it's time to go to sleep
    Have been able to use this succesfully on my TP and my Pre3

Mind you, looking at send items, does show me an email without attachment, still I received it with attachment, this is a long standing issue with the email app in webos, it does not always save the sent email with the attachment (maybe even never)

Will now activate a Pre2, but the pixi and pre plus, need some charging first. ;-)
  17.    #17  
    Looks like only the paid app dump got attachment, the full catalog not... I guess it's either a timing issue (file still being written while email is already launched, or a LS2 issue (too much data). Can you check your /media/internal to see if you have an appcatdatadump.json there? If yes,can you send it to me?

Herrie

It's not there
  19.    #19  
    Herrie

It's not there
    I guess it's LS2 limit then... Need to split it up in multiple files, hope to have some time later today to get a new version out
    Herrie

It's not there
    Did you reboot your device after installing the new Impostah?
    For me the files where only created after a reboot.

UW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast