View Poll Results: Would you consider paying a small amount yearly to maintain a community-owned Cloud?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Premium plan, $10/year

120 72.29%
  • Standard plan $5/year

51 30.72%
  • Free plan: just activation/remote wipe (subsidized by paying users)

18 10.84%
  • Yes, if this is successful and passes security audit.

51 30.72%
  • No thanks, not even for free.

6 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Thanks guys.

So if Remy is collecting this for something TBA, then i can just wait until that is done rather than messing with it myself. This is what i was hoping.

I wish i could do more myself, but I'd need a tutor.

Meanwhile, kinda bummed not even 100 responses to the poll yet. I see fleabay is selling lots of webOS devices. Where is everyone? Would be nice to send an email to every address that got the notice from hp and invite them to participate in the forum.
    Perhaps "everyone" believed The Verge headline, HP is killing all remaining Palm webOS devices on January 15th | The Verge, and they are now all on eBay trying to sell their devices
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post

this is after you copied the feed, that is no longer active, but if you also copied the large files, that go into the cache folder, you should see a listing in preware. Refreshing is not possible anymore for those three feeds.
    I did not mention anything. that I can do to repair my Preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @briest & @Preemptive

Yep. I like your approach

One of the options we have for those choosing to self-host, is for us to provide an OpenWRT-based router firmware distro (or add-on for existing installations), designed to interface with webOS for both configs and backups. This would be an official off-site hosting solution, and you can even have the benefit of internet-wide remote wipe from the router, even if backups can only be done from a local IP when you're at home.
    Or even LuneOS packages! I can't remember the reason for not having LuneOS on a Raspberry Pi (I'd have to look, something about a version of Wayland or such), but it'd be cool to turn a Raspberry Pi into a LuneOS device with a cloud server running on it.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Or even LuneOS packages! I can't remember the reason for not having LuneOS on a Raspberry Pi (I'd have to look, something about a version of Wayland or such), but it'd be cool to turn a Raspberry Pi into a LuneOS device with a cloud server running on it.
    I think it was QT 4.8 that was the problem. That should be solved now since we're on 5.2 and soon on 5.4 :-) Just someone with the knowledge should work on it :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    dkirker likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I think it was QT 4.8 that was the problem. That should be solved now since we're on 5.2 and soon on 5.4 :-) Just someone with the knowledge should work on it :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Bingo! Just found this about an hour ago: Raspberry Pi - WebOS-Ports

Might be worth tying it in. I am just finishing up on my server, and am planning to add an Ubuntu VM. Might spin up a build for RPi.
    Did you know:

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
    I did not mention anything. that I can do to repair my Preware?
    Sorry Joshua, hoped to write a longer reply later yesterday, but did not have time.

Basically, you have got no idea what you are doing?

Then you should never go into the cryptofs folders anymore, cause doing something wrong there might need the docter.

But no worries, your preware is fine, nothing broken.

You just have to goto the settings and disable the feeds called palm-web palm-catalog and palm-beta.

(Or you can even remove them)

Later you can activate them again.

Hmm, probably another solution would be looking at the order in which they are downloaded, making sure all other feeds are downloaded first. Preware stops downloading the next feeds when it cannot download just one.
    Bugreport for Preware... ;-)
    Would also be nice if we could choose which feed we would want to download (refresh just one, instead of all)
    Last edited by horzel; 10/25/2014 at 04:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Hi,

I think the reason was QT5 on the Pi. I'm pretty sure this has been resolved, so the obstacle is just in finding someone interested in doing it. The nature of the device means that I think it would be a good target in the way the TouchPad is - the kind of people who have them are the kind likely to have the skills to contribute to the project. Also interesting to note that attempts to port Android are not going well I think...

Ah! I should read all the way down before replying!

Bingo! Just found this about an hour ago: Raspberry Pi - WebOS-Ports

Might be worth tying it in. I am just finishing up on my server, and am planning to add an Ubuntu VM. Might spin up a build for RPi.
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi...hp?f=63&t=1702
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi...hp?f=41&t=1696
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi...hp?f=41&t=2210
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi...hp?f=56&t=8813
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi...p?f=56&t=16299
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi...p?f=56&t=17080
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi...p?f=73&t=60395

Beginner’s guide to cross-compile Qt5 on RaspberryPi
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/28/2014 at 05:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    Sorry Joshua, hoped to write a longer reply later yesterday, but did not have time.

Basically, you have got no idea what you are doing?

Then you should never go into the cryptofs folders anymore, cause doing something wrong there might need the docter.

But no worries, your preware is fine, nothing broken.

You just have to goto the settings and disable the feeds called palm-web palm-catalog and palm-beta.

(Or you can even remove them)

Later you can activate them again.

Hmm, probably another solution would be looking at the order in which they are downloaded, making sure all other feeds are downloaded first. Preware stops downloading the next feeds when it cannot download just one.
    Bugreport for Preware... ;-)
    Would also be nice if we could choose which feed we would want to download (refresh just one, instead of all)
    horzel estimated. if what I'm doing. I've disabled palm-web palm-catalog and palm-beta. And loaded Preware well. Thank you.

my main problem is the translator changing the words, which is why it costs me more work to read the forum both adore

Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Perhaps "everyone" believed The Verge headline, HP is killing all remaining Palm webOS devices on January 15th | The Verge, and they are now all on eBay trying to sell their devices
    I just found out, count me in on the premium plan!
    Remy X likes this.
  10.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Is this of interest?
    https://ind.ie/pulse/
    Looks like this service has its own API, which would mean writing a Pulse client for webOS before it's any use.
    Great find, though.

It's worth taking a look at their source code to see if there's something useful and inspiring as far as technical solutions go.
    Also, WRT the Google API changes... I believe that there is a way to connect ownCloud to Google for syncing contacts and calendars (I tried to set it up once before, but it was a really really beta version of ownCloud so it kinda worked), so if there was a personal cloud like device, it could act as an in-between or cache of Google info. So, you could get things like:

webOS <-> ownCloud via DAV <-> Google <-> other Google devices like Android and iOS
    webOS & other devices <-> ownCloud via DAV <-> Google

and eventually what I want to do:

webOS & other devices <-> ownCloud (and no Google)

I'd have to check on the ownCloud app, since I think I was using ownCloud 4 or 5 with that, and they are at 7 now.
    Did you know:

12. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    and eventually what I want to do:

webOS & other devices <-> ownCloud (and no Google)

I'd have to check on the ownCloud app, since I think I was using ownCloud 4 or 5 with that, and they are at 7 now.
    ownCloud is really great, I'm using it as "private dropbox" (currently version 6 and 7).

But for calendar/contacts I am using Tine 2.0, it just works, because it does support EAS (Exchange Active Sync), that works great with most SmartPhones. Only FirefoxOS is not working, because it supports only CalDAV/CardDAV.

I know that EAS it proprietary MS trash, but it is easy to configure and just works ...
    Preemptive likes this.
    I'm petty torn on how to answer the poll. I have no warm feelings for the Palm Profile.. I never used it for anything other than what is mandatory - buying apps. With webOS 2.0, I got a nice bonus of preserving my text messages, but that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    ownCloud is really great, I'm using it as "private dropbox" (currently version 6 and 7).

But for calendar/contacts I am using Tine 2.0, it just works, because it does support EAS (Exchange Active Sync), that works great with most SmartPhones. Only FirefoxOS is not working, because it supports only CalDAV/CardDAV.

I know that EAS it proprietary MS trash, but it is easy to configure and just works ...
    I'm going to check that out! Bet it wouldn't be hard to integrate the Zarafa EAS sync server stuff into ownCloud, too. That is the nice thing about open source, too: all of these server apps can work to share data.
    Did you know:

Remy X likes this.
  15.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I'm petty torn on how to answer the poll. I have no warm feelings for the Palm Profile.. I never used it for anything other than what is mandatory - buying apps. With webOS 2.0, I got a nice bonus of preserving my text messages, but that's about it.
    Just vote for the audit then

[Edit] - ok, i see you did already. But the good thing about this reverse-engineering effort is that in the end, a home router could also be used as a complete Profile server for when you're in the local IP range, if you're looking to avoid sending anything out over the internet, but will still want to make automatic OTA backups
    Last edited by Remy X; 10/27/2014 at 09:23 PM.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I am with you on this, the app catalog is all that ties me into a palmprofile.
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    I use SOGo -- it has C*DAV from beginning and recently got ActiveSync as well, although I prefer Z-Push-contrib as a EAS/C*DAV gateway -- SOGo own AS implementation is limited to one calendar/addressbook as for now, Z-Push gives me all my calendars. As a bonus I get nice Thunderbird PIM integration via Lightning+2 SOGo extensions. So far, I use it to sync data between five devices (home and office PC Thunderbird on Linux, Pre+, Nokia N9 and Android tablet) and seems to work flawlessy.
    T5, CliƩ NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Count on me!
    So... is this already a thing? I'm still in with my 10$ Plan. Has anything evolved, yet?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast