View Poll Results: Would you consider paying a small amount yearly to maintain a community-owned Cloud?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Premium plan, $10/year

120 72.29%
  • Standard plan $5/year

51 30.72%
  • Free plan: just activation/remote wipe (subsidized by paying users)

18 10.84%
  • Yes, if this is successful and passes security audit.

51 30.72%
  • No thanks, not even for free.

6 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Thanks for the numbers.

Tonight i'll go through all device types and country codes to compile the current number of free and paid apps, grab 100% of app catalog metadata. So we'll see how many apps have been taken down in that time...
    Palm catalog file sizes:

palm-beta 911 KB > zip 155 KB
    palm-catalog 18852 KB > zip 3617
    palm-web 711 KB > zip 127 KB

Had to split the catalog file

Edit: Original file dates are from 7th of April 2014
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by horzel; 10/22/2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added file date
  2.    #62  
    Hey, that's a gem there. Wow!

[Edit:] - Just a heads-up everyone. Remove the .zip extension from the numbered files and use 7zip to open. So what you should have is palm-catalog.zip.001 ...the .zip extension is only added for the forum upload script
    Last edited by Remy X; 10/22/2014 at 07:10 PM.
    If I only would have been able to grab them a bit sooner

----

You should even be able to dump them back onto a touchpad, I think, or even other devices?

Make sure you do not have automatic feed update turned on in preware

The cache files need to be dumped in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/cache/

Now one needs to add the feeds as well:
    palm-beta.conf
    palm-catalog.conf
    palm-web.conf

These go into:
    /media/cryptofs/apps/etc/ipkg

Now when starting preware, choose to not update your feeds!

You are now able to browse this old data on your device in preware, installing will not work, but you might be able to open in the hp catalog

Especially browsing the beta and web feeds might be interesting. Lots of crazy stuff, all free.
    I love ˝NetMonitor˝, cause it tells me what data connection I have (HSDPA, UMTS, etc) on my veer with 2.2.4 I do not see that.
    Attached Files Attached Files

[Edit:] - Just a heads-up everyone. Remove the .zip extension from the numbered files and use 7zip to open. So what you should have is palm-catalog.zip.001 ...the .zip extension is only added for the forum upload script
    Affirmative!

I just moved all the data on my Veer, and have this (old) data on screen in Preware.

For example StudyProf Pocket (i choose this randomly) can than be installed through the hp app catalog, this is from the beta feed. Download succesfull! Installing...

Now if you try to install a programm which is not listed as available for your device, the hpappcatalog will tell you the app is invalid

Feel free to do a search for "Inglorious" 's developer cut apps

Have fun exploring

02:37 here and the alarm will ring at 06:00 again, so I'm pressing Windows-L
    Remy X and Rnp like this.

To clarify a bit more: I removed the .zip at the end of the numbered files & associated 7zip (7-Zip) with the suffix, ".001". I selected all numbered files to open with 7zip and that gave me a file 18,852KB in size called, "palm-catalog". (actually, I then noticed that I had two copies - I'd already done it by just opening 001, so just do that!) Because this file is split for upload, attempting to open say, part 003 will result in an error. All the numbered files should be in the same folder. The other zip files are stand alone and will open 'as is' - no need to rename them.

You can now read these files in a text editor. Someone else will have to write the idiots guide to opening it in Preware - haven't tried it yet.

I'll have a look at trying to convert the format into a CSV, but I'm really hoping someone else will do it (looking back, maybe Herrie already has) and it maybe enough to load this into preware and search with that.

Thanks for all the hard work Horzel, Remy X, Herrie & others this data is hopefully the complete set! ;-)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/23/2014 at 01:21 AM.
    From here on, for me probably all I will have time for, is to get the apps I like for the devices I have. I simply do not have time to do more.

I will, one by one, setup my HP profile on my devices, which I luckily brought with me last week from the NL.

currently on my backup Veer, will activate my Pre˛ next, then my Pixi, then my old Pre+.
    Last but not least, my 16GB webosinternals modified Preł.

one by one I will check for apps I need to download for that specific device, or even buy the device specific version.

Since the making sure to buy is now the most important step, that's what I start with now.

Time permits, during working hours, might look into analyzing above files, but I do not have external network access, nor am I allowed to have my cameraphone with me.

Mostly over and out from me

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I think the above is correct, though device backup might store login info, so starting with a fresh or wiped device would need account re-entered and there might be some services blocking new accounts or what ever (I think there have been similar isues in the past). The survival kit details how to save your device tokens.

And one more thing: Google will be changing it's API soon, so we will need to move the the CalDAV connector (or someone might update the google synergy connector - but why bother?)
    Affected? That only means affected by this latest Hp announcement. I'm not concerned about that. Brilliant people here have already conveyed solutions that are easy to follow in the survival guide. I did them and i feel confident i can rebuild my phones or pad if it crashes.

My lack of confidence is in the phone's ability to sync with Google and hotmail, or anything else that might have conflicts causing it to overuse data in futile communication efforts. I currently doubt my phone's ability to do daily business, retrieving email, messages, calendar and contact entries from Google, because I've shut all these synergy links off trying to isolate the power drain. There's other stuff becoming affected frequently. I'm affected right now apparently.

This Google or Facebook change type stuff PreE is describing, when it occurs, we need to adapt to it and either remain successfully connected, or terminate attempts expected to fail. Idk when something is broken permanently, or has a fix available. Then is the fix simple enough to perform.

So idk who will make future solutions. I'm not suggesting a future catalog maintainer assumes such a responsibility. Hopefully they will be made, and offered through a Super Preware*, particularly in a way that we cannot miss them if they are of importance to us. Not self installing but self detecting? Then we can choose to install and of course donate to the provider as necessary. But i think this is a critical element to a continuity plan.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post

----

You should even be able to dump them back onto a touchpad, I think, or even other devices?

palm-beta.conf
    palm-catalog.conf
    palm-web.conf

These go into:

You are now able to browse this old data on your device in preware, installing will not work, but you might be able to open in the hp catalog

Especially browsing the beta and web feeds might be interesting. Lots of crazy stuff, all free.
    I love ˝NetMonitor˝, cause it tells me what data connection I have (HSDPA, UMTS, etc) on my veer with 2.2.4 I do not see that.
    silly question but the translator does not help. that you mean dumped?

Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
    silly question but the translator does not help. that you mean dumped?

Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2
    Placed into...

or sometimes "dumped" means downloaded. It all depends on context.
    Placed into...

or sometimes "dumped" means downloaded. It all depends on context.
    help me. I do not understand this saying. The cache files need to be dumped in / media / cryptofs / apps / usr / lib / ipkg / cache /

11.    #71  
    help me. I do not understand this saying. The cache files need to be dumped in / media / cryptofs / apps / usr / lib / ipkg / cache /

He is saying - copy the cache files into / media / cryptofs / apps / usr / lib / ipkg / cache /

You can use Internalz Pro to find the cache files in /media/internal, copy them, and then choose: / media / cryptofs / apps / usr / lib / ipkg / cache /

This is where cache files need to be located.
    joshua764 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post

----

palm-beta.conf
    palm-catalog.conf
    palm-web.conf

These go into:

I've read this over and over and cannot determine if this is something i should be retrieving myself or not.

Can someone more educated please confirm this info Horzel has posted is simply catalog info and nothing actually end-usable like installable apps? Thanks in advance.
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I've read this over and over and cannot determine if this is something i should be retrieving myself or not.

Can someone more educated please confirm this info Horzel has posted is simply catalog info and nothing actually end-usable like installable apps? Thanks in advance.
    This is a copy of old feeds. It sounds to me like some apps in the beta feeds have been removed, but the app files themselves are still available and the old feeds allow you to grab these files
    mistakenly delete Preware. now I can not find it. have the ipk ??
    mistakenly delete Preware. now I can not find it. have the ipk ??
    You might want to save this with your other backups.
    http://ipkg.preware.net/feeds/webos-...1.9.13_arm.ipk
    Remy X and joshua764 like this.
    Hallo all,

I am sorry for not having explained more, what you can do with these files I posted.

Since the HP APP catalog just shows you the apps available for your device and country, Rod, a long while ago came up with Apptuckerbox as an extension to Preware.

These two together would allow you to view apps that are available in the catalog, but might not be marked as being available for your country, or might not be available for your device/version. From Preware you could still start the process and let the app catalog download apps, even if they were not listed for your device/country. At a certain point HP caught on to this and closed the loop to be able to do cross device downloads, but left it possible to do cross country, so i could still download an app that was only intended for amer, but not germany. Somewhere this year around may or june, there was all the fuss about security related server issues, since with apptuckerbox, the credentials/tokens for our devices were on the webosinteral servers and the use was so low, Rod decided he would shut down this service (understandable).

He would have had scripts running which collected all the data from the servers, precisely what Remy and Herrie are attempting as well. It is a shame that the knowledge that webosinternals had once on how to do this is not available.

Apart from the normal catalog there also exists a feed of beta apps, webosinternals also provided us this feed, which I do not know where from.

So I still had a this feeds and their related files whch contain the list of apps available as per April 17th 2014.

Reason for me to have kept this all the time is two fold,
    a) beta feed is not available anywhere else that i know off
    b) I like browsing preware five times more than the app catalog, since it is offline.

So if you would like to have a peek it this, you would need to copy these files to your device.

Then on the device using internalz pro, you can copy them to the correct location I mentioned. Now hwen you start preware, you will have a larger listing of apps.

Within preware you can change a setting whether you would like to check device compatability, this setting will change whether you only see files for your device, or files for other devices as well.

If you do this on your touchpad, and you find a file you do want on your veer, than you are stuck still, because you might not be able to odwnload it direct to your tuchpad, if the app was only intended for a phone.

You can however still download a French only app, to any other device as well.

If you are just interested in the mess and the pearls in the beta feed, just copy only those files to your device
    Remy X and Preemptive like this.
    Install Preware and I get this error. help me!
    Please!!

http://ipkg.preware.net/feeds/webos-...1.9.13_arm.ipk, its not foun
    Last edited by joshua764; 10/24/2014 at 07:53 AM.
    Please!!

Click to view quoted image

http://ipkg.preware.net/feeds/webos-...1.9.13_arm.ipk, its not foun
    App Tuckerbox was shut down after the Heartbleed bug was found.
    Thanks guys.

So if Remy is collecting this for something TBA, then i can just wait until that is done rather than messing with it myself. This is what i was hoping.

I wish i could do more myself, but I'd need a tutor.

Meanwhile, kinda bummed not even 100 responses to the poll yet. I see fleabay is selling lots of webOS devices. Where is everyone? Would be nice to send an email to every address that got the notice from hp and invite them to participate in the forum.
    Remy X likes this.
    Please!!

Click to view quoted image

this is after you copied the feed, that is no longer active, but if you also copied the large files, that go into the cache folder, you should see a listing in preware. Refreshing is not possible anymore for those three feeds.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast