View Poll Results: Would you consider paying a small amount yearly to maintain a community-owned Cloud?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Premium plan, $10/year

120 72.29%
  • Standard plan $5/year

51 30.72%
  • Free plan: just activation/remote wipe (subsidized by paying users)

18 10.84%
  • Yes, if this is successful and passes security audit.

51 30.72%
  • No thanks, not even for free.

6 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Yes, so far getting 403 errors with curl though my requests should be OK :S
    From the Touchpad?
    From the Touchpad?
    Yeah, could be I need to provide my cert, didn't do that yet. --cacert mycert.crt should work. I'm sure HP didn't push out the App Cat update incl. certs without reason. Normally this is taken care off by the app installer (swmanager) so need to trial & error here a bit ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Remy X likes this.
  3. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    [*]Make a list of paid apps already downloaded by the community[*]Look for "stray" IPKs
    if you start with such a list, I can send you a list of apps I already have.

And for sure I will add more the next week, my son has the permission to download everything he wants (as far as it is free) with his Pre 3 and TP :-D

And I will check also for some free and paid apps, that might be usefull :-)
    Remy X likes this.
  4.    #44  
    Ok. As soon as i get a complete app metadata list up as an SQL database, i'll start making entries into that, but meanwhile, i'll make a new thread to get us started ahead of time and before a database is active. You could post there and we'll keep the public list updated
    Yep - I'd be happy to pay a small fee to maintain my Palm devices.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    +1 preferably paypal/Amazon
    Im unable to see the poll if there is one because I'm on crapatalk on andro(gynous)id
    Yes
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    I have voted for premium plan, yes and no -- I know it seems absurd, but let me explain:
    - I would gladly donate for such solution to be developed and provided for users
    - I think that external security audit is a must
    - to make my sweet little paranoia happy, I would use only self-hosted version or "not even for free"

Maybe some remote control capabilities in addition to remote wipe would be interesting; of course, it would need client-side counterpart:
    - location, sent on-demand and (option) automatically on shutdown/start
    - lock with on-screen owner provided information (such as "please return to...")
    T5, CliƩ NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    Rnp, Remy X and aleemboat like this.
    Yes (Dutch user)
    Quote Originally Posted by briest View Post
    I have voted for premium plan, yes and no -- I know it seems absurd, but let me explain:
    - I would gladly donate for such solution to be developed and provided for users
    - I think that external security audit is a must
    - to make my sweet little paranoia happy, I would use only self-hosted version or "not even for free"

Maybe some remote control capabilities in addition to remote wipe would be interesting; of course, it would need client-side counterpart:
    - location, sent on-demand and (option) automatically on shutdown/start
    - lock with on-screen owner provided information (such as "please return to...")
    Yes, I don't know what was wrong with Hotsync.

There may be a profile solution from LuneOS in the future, but I imagine it's likely to be in the form of a self-hosted one using perhaps owncloud - maybe this project will become that solution! ;-)

So I vote for briest's option and this removes some problems for whoever (I assume Remy X) hosts this service. However, if Remy X wishes to offer this service to users, I expect there are many who will prefer it and I wish him luck if he wants to start a small business. Again, I'd suggest development with an eye to LuneOS in the future and if he can get some collaborators for the hosting, that will spread the responsibility / number of hosting machines etc making for greater stability.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/27/2014 at 06:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Don't get me wrong -- I think that RemyX's idea with cloud hosted solution is the way to go; it would be unreasonable to expect every user to host his own infrastructure, and scaling the idea down to desktop will make the project less capable (no remote wipe, for one, no sync if you happen to go on holidays...) and more troublesome to code (making one work on desktop UIs should be outlawed by at least few Geneva Conventions ). So, I fully support original idea, it's just me who goes control freak on my devices
    T5, CliƩ NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    Kai00 likes this.
    Well... I think that's what I said.... :-)
    I'm not concerned with remote backup. No one needs to assume responsibility for securing my data.

I do like reintroducing palm desktop style sync. That's why palm was awesome back in the day.

I'd prefer to keep this simple as possible. So i only need a super Preware to provide:
    - valid apps
    - functional patches that play nicely with each other
    - necessary hot fixes that address new glitches
    - ideally, some "current" doctors for Veer, Pre2, Pre3, and TP

And I'd gladly pay someone a subscription fee to basically maintain the continuity of their own webOS device and then simply share that ability with us through the service.

But -

Right now i cannot even trust my synergy services to not drain my phone dead while i think it's sleeping in my pocket. So all this future talk is moot if these same old problems cannot be resolved once and for all.

IMHO No synergy means no reason to use webOS. So i need to know if we will be able to continue sync to google, hotmail or outlook, yahoo, etc. Or not. I can't find solutions on this, just a lot of talking about it and scratching one's proverbial head, with anecdotal "this worked for me but" posts. Im really unhappy today and im just hoping someone helps me in the thread i made because im simply stumped.
    aleemboat likes this.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    IMHO No synergy means no reason to use webOS. So i need to know if we will be able to continue sync to google, hotmail or outlook, yahoo, etc.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $only$ $palm$/$hp$ $Account$ $is$ $effected$, $at$ $least$ $until$ $the$ $other$ $services$ $change$ $their$ $account$-$access$ $API$ ($fairly$ $unlikely$ $in$ $the$ $short$ $term$).
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $only$ $palm$/$hp$ $Account$ $is$ $effected$, $at$ $least$ $until$ $the$ $other$ $services$ $change$ $their$ $account$-$access$ $API$ ($fairly$ $unlikely$ $in$ $the$ $short$ $term$).
    I think the above is correct, though device backup might store login info, so starting with a fresh or wiped device would need account re-entered and there might be some services blocking new accounts or what ever (I think there have been similar isues in the past). The survival kit details how to save your device tokens.

And one more thing: Google will be changing it's API soon, so we will need to move to the CalDAV connector (or someone might update the google synergy connector - but why bother?)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/23/2014 at 05:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I suspect that it would return different info for different devices/form factors based on the tokens it sends. I need to verify this with my Veer and Pre 3. I did the TP now, because this will also get the phone apps in most cases
    Preware list from when app tuckerbox was still working, with ignore device compatibility active.

This means that one could download a pixi app to the touchpad, allthough it might not work.
    This also meant that one could download region restricted apps.

Rod disabled app tuckerbox, when
    a) the device compatibility could not be misused anymore form HP side and
    b) there was the problem with the security of the preware servers

Reading a), I think this might mean, one can only download nowadays, ipk for the device being used, so no veer downlpoad to a pre3, unless the app has been marked available for both.

Also there were three feeds!

Edit: had two publishers blacklisted, so adjusted the numbers, this cache is from 7th april this year

Now for the numbers:
    Palm Apps: 8017 > 9557
    Palm Beta: 672 > 673
    Palm Web: 481 > 483

Precentral: 389
    WebOS Internals: 23
    WebOS Internals Alpha: 6
    WebOS Internals Beta: 11
    Minego: 1
    Unknown: 14

(I also have show installed packages ticked, which account for some of the Unknown packages.)

Now to get a USB cable and browse the filesystem a bit
    Last edited by horzel; 10/22/2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: I had two publishers blacklisted
    Preemptive likes this.
    Ah webOS Internals... how we miss thee.
    Alan Morford likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    Facebook has already gone - they seem to have pulled the "Facebook for HP WebOS" backend.
    (threads running in WebOs Apps section)
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    Preware list from when app tuckerbox was still working, with ignore device compatibility active.

This means that one could download a pixi app to the touchpad, allthough it might not work.
    This also meant that one could download region restricted apps.

Rod disabled app tuckerbox, when
    a) the device compatibility could not be misused anymore form HP side and
    b) there was the problem with the security of the preware servers

Reading a), I think this might mean, one can only download nowadays, ipk for the device being used, so no veer downlpoad to a pre3, unless the app has been marked available for both.

Also there were three feeds!

Now for the numbers:
    Palm Apps: 8017
    Palm Beta: 672
    Palm Web: 481

Precentral: 389
    WebOS Internals: 23
    WebOS Internals Alpha: 6
    WebOS Internals Beta: 11
    Minego: 1
    Unknown: 14

(I also have show installed packages ticked, which account for some of the Unknown packages.)

Now to get a USB cable and browse the filesystem a bit
    Thanks for the numbers.

Tonight i'll go through all device types and country codes to compile the current number of free and paid apps, grab 100% of app catalog metadata. So we'll see how many apps have been taken down in that time...
  20.    #60  
    @briest & @Preemptive

Yep. I like your approach

One of the options we have for those choosing to self-host, is for us to provide an OpenWRT-based router firmware distro (or add-on for existing installations), designed to interface with webOS for both configs and backups. This would be an official off-site hosting solution, and you can even have the benefit of internet-wide remote wipe from the router, even if backups can only be done from a local IP when you're at home.

So there's a lot that could be easily done if we apply ourselves to it... and it could be really neat and Apple-like (or webOS-like to be exact).

But business? no.

A business-like approach, most definitely, but this isn't something that can be done for a profit. We are already trying to offer the service at pretty close to cost, and any surplus would go into an emergency fund. It's a not-for-profit, volunteering type situation for all of us, and it's gonna stay that way
    TJs11thPre and dkirker like this.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast