View Poll Results: Would you consider paying a small amount yearly to maintain a community-owned Cloud?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Premium plan, $10/year

    120 72.29%
  • Standard plan $5/year

    51 30.72%
  • Free plan: just activation/remote wipe (subsidized by paying users)

    18 10.84%
  • Yes, if this is successful and passes security audit.

    51 30.72%
  • No thanks, not even for free.

    6 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 112
Like Tree75Likes
  1. #21  
    As long as the security level is decent, I would definitely pay $10/year, without any discussion.

    Sorry my ignorance, but would this mainly be used to keep our beloved Palm WebOs hardware running as long as possible, or could it potentially be used with LuneOS in the future?

    Thanks for all your dedication, to keep the community alive!
  2. #22  
    #Double post, Sorry
    Last edited by kimsan; 10/21/2014 at 03:41 PM.
  3. #23  
    If you need help coding or scripting let me know via PM....
    Remy X, TJs11thPre and Rnp like this.
  4. #24  
    I would pay 10/year to get hands on the software(&Updates to it) to have it run on my own Server/NAS/RaspPi @home/own webspace. I would even help writing how-tos for install (as i did e.g. with my guides to "Zarafa EAS sync on NAS" or "Tasks app on Touchpad" in signature)

    I would use it without cloud access but instead only when my phone is in home wifi (but that's to my personal paranoia).

    Well on top i would even pay extra for any OTA/DL sec-updates (certificate updates/revokes, linux app upstream patches...), *to webOS from your server or Preware...
    Remy X likes this.
  5. #25  
    If we are making wish lists, I'd like

    Actively maintained Preware catalog
    Safe (pw to prev) remote device wipe? (Do we have this? I don't think i knew this)
    Multi device per profile (so phones are like TPs)
    Updater feed with latest critical patches on at-will download
    Meta doctors for today's primary viable configs (basically a dr. with the minimum mandatory patches for today)
    Palm desktop sync sounds awesome. I miss that.

    Idk what is possible or not, just tossing out ideas. What can we do if we can't move forward, but we can make staying here real nice, and that becomes progress in itself?
    Remy X and Rnp like this.
  6. thg
    thg is offline
    thg's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Would you pay $5-10 /year for a drop-in replacement to Palm Profile / Cloud Services?
    I don't know, I think I rather would just donate 50 USD, but I don't think that I would use much of the "Palm profile" replacement. Actually I'm quite happy to get rid of it, because for contacts, calendar etc. I'm using my private cloud since long time.

    A good "replacement" would be, if you could make a full backup of your settings plus text mesages, notices, call list etc.

    But the only thing I really would like to see, as an archive of the webOS App catalog, at least the icons/pics/videos, descriptions, reviews and the full name of the app, to find it in the "private" repository.

    And it would be good, if as much apps as possible will be provided via Preware, so we still would have a working update process.

    All my apps I ever installed I have as IPK and for the next week I will download/purchase some others that are most interesting. Well most of the I probably will never use ...
    Remy X, namgod, Rnp and 1 others like this.
  7. horzel's Avatar
    Posts
    343 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Thanks Herrie, horzel and Preemptive

    It's been a busy morning for me, but the "loading 50 apps at a time" was also what i encountered while patching and working with the 1.x App Catalog, which is all i have on hand until i can fix my TP in the next few days.

    But it's been a pain without a functional gesture area on my Pre+, so i should just sit down and patch it to use "backspace + P" instead without having to start over every time.

    But horzel, you've really hit the jackpot here! I use Impostah so rarely that i hadn't even realized it had this feature available. That should streamline everything, because it'll be much easier to either clone the call that Impostah is sending and archive stuff directly on a desktop machine, or patch Impostah to make http calls to another machine on the network. Later the stuff could be dropped into an SQL database, with a few lines of code to "unfold" the nested JSON format and that would allow all the sorting we want, by price, by rating, and later by OS version availability.

    Fantastic work, really.... four brains is better than one
    Remy,
    using preware together with app tuckerbox, would in the past give you a complete list of all available apps, not depending on country or device restrictions

    I still have a Touchpad which has this list, if this is exportable?

    also, would the info on how to pull this list still be available somewhere?

    do check http://git.webos-internals.org/ for sources on impostah and more

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Preemptive likes this.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    Remy,
    using preware together with app tuckerbox, would in the past give you a complete list of all available apps, not depending on country or device restrictions

    I still have a Touchpad which has this list, if this is exportable?

    also, would the info on how to pull this list still be available somewhere?

    do check WebOS-Internals.org for sources on impostah and more

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    So, perhaps (hopefully!) my list is irrelevant, but I posted it here with some release notes.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...st3426733.html

    It is out of date, incomplete and only has basic data, but it has 6000+ apps, is searchable now and links to details pages on appcatalog.de where you can click through to the HP app catalogue itself.

    Please discuss the list on that thread. If you have a working 'scanner' solution, then may I humbly suggest a new thread is in order and if my listing should become part of the project, I'm happy to move discussion to that new thread. We are starting to have a lot of threads jumping around subjects and going OT. Ideally, we can have at least a complete searchable list of paid apps available for users before the 1st of November.
  9. #29  
    I will love this form my touchpad and my pre 3
  10. #30  
    I have an Excel/CSV ready with 6547 apps from the catalog. This is excluding images still. It's 1,5MB and too large to upload there. I also have a JSON ready for the same apps that also includes all the image URLs. This JSON is 55MB and I don't have tools at hand here to convert to Excel/CSV, can do that later today.

    [edit]
    There are 2150 Free apps in my list (price = 0), rest has a price and is therefore paid?
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Herrie; 10/21/2014 at 09:03 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  11. #31  
    So in theory at least the free apps list can be plugged in some download tool and automate the downloading process bypassing the app cat app?
    If so can you upload the file to some other online service that allows larger files?
    I assume your plan is just to do that anyway but the more backups the better
    Hope just the app cat servers won't crash under the load of so many ppl trying to purchase and download apps.
    It's the fire sale of the app cat kind of, without the sale element
  12. #32  
    I would support this. Both financially when service is available and technically (development) when needed.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    So in theory at least the free apps list can be plugged in some download tool and automate the downloading process bypassing the app cat app?
    If so can you upload the file to some other online service that allows larger files?
    I assume your plan is just to do that anyway but the more backups the better
    Hope just the app cat servers won't crash under the load of so many ppl trying to purchase and download apps.
    It's the fire sale of the app cat kind of, without the sale element
    Theoretically yes, however it's not that easy
    In order to get the IPK url we'd need to do a call with authentication header for each individual appId to the server (could be automated with a script I guess with people who have the time + knowledge ) .
    In order to download the IPK we'd need to send another request with authentication header as well.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    So in theory at least the free apps list can be plugged in some download tool and automate the downloading process bypassing the app cat app?
    If so can you upload the file to some other online service that allows larger files?
    I assume your plan is just to do that anyway but the more backups the better
    Hope just the app cat servers won't crash under the load of so many ppl trying to purchase and download apps.
    It's the fire sale of the app cat kind of, without the sale element
    I think the servers are more likely to have issues if people start scripting to try to pull all of the apps down than just the user base doing it on their own. And if it does go down, I wouldn't count on them trying to bring it back up. Just some food for thought.

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I think the servers are more likely to have issues if people start scripting to try to pull all of the apps down than just the user base doing it on their own. And if it does go down, I wouldn't count on them trying to bring it back up. Just some food for thought.

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I think they should be able to handle a little over 2000 downloads for the free apps We still have a while, so if we do a 100/day it should be fine

    Seems I figured out the logic for the IPK naming and location on the server, now just need to write something to sort the download (authentication header mainly) and download the IPK's
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  16. horzel's Avatar
    Posts
    343 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I think they should be able to handle a little over 2000 downloads for the free apps We still have a while, so if we do a 100/day it should be fine

    Seems I figured out the logic for the IPK naming and location on the server, now just need to write something to sort the download (authentication header mainly) and download the IPK's

    I am sorry that I do not have any time to help on this.

    Another remark, some apps are available in the catalog more than once. separate entrys for veer/pixi screen size, larger, or even touchpad.

    Some are listed once, but they are packaged for all types.

    Now might there also be apps, that are listed once but a different IPK would be downloaded for different targets. Are we able to differntiate for those?

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I think they should be able to handle a little over 2000 downloads for the free apps We still have a while, so if we do a 100/day it should be fine

    Seems I figured out the logic for the IPK naming and location on the server, now just need to write something to sort the download (authentication header mainly) and download the IPK's
    Just as long as the script is governed so it's not pounding the servers too hard.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Just as long as the script is governed so it's not pounding the servers too hard.
    Yes, so far getting 403 errors with curl though my requests should be OK :S
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    I am sorry that I do not have any time to help on this.

    Another remark, some apps are available in the catalog more than once. separate entrys for veer/pixi screen size, larger, or even touchpad.

    Some are listed once, but they are packaged for all types.

    Now might there also be apps, that are listed once but a different IPK would be downloaded for different targets. Are we able to differntiate for those?

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I suspect that it would return different info for different devices/form factors based on the tokens it sends. I need to verify this with my Veer and Pre 3. I did the TP now, because this will also get the phone apps in most cases
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by kimsan View Post
    As long as the security level is at an decent level, I would definitely pay $10/year, without any discussion.

    Sorry my ignorance, but will this mainly be to keep our beloved Palm WebOs hardware running as long as possible, or could it potentially be used with LuneOs in the future?

    Thanks for your dedication, and for keeping the community together!
    Both

    In the beginning, this is for legacy devices, but when LuneOS will add similar functionality, it will also work with the Profile system

    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I have an Excel/CSV ready with 6547 apps from the catalog. This is excluding images still. It's 1,5MB and too large to upload there. I also have a JSON ready for the same apps that also includes all the image URLs. This JSON is 55MB and I don't have tools at hand here to convert to Excel/CSV, can do that later today.

    [edit]
    There are 2150 Free apps in my list (price = 0), rest has a price and is therefore paid?
    [/edit]
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Theoretically yes, however it's not that easy
    In order to get the IPK url we'd need to do a call with authentication header for each individual appId to the server (could be automated with a script I guess with people who have the time + knowledge ) .
    In order to download the IPK we'd need to send another request with authentication header as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I think they should be able to handle a little over 2000 downloads for the free apps We still have a while, so if we do a 100/day it should be fine

    Seems I figured out the logic for the IPK naming and location on the server, now just need to write something to sort the download (authentication header mainly) and download the IPK's
    Nice

    Thank you. As always i'm a little slow, but we are pretty much at the same point with generating the URLs from JSON params. However i've gone off on a tangent in trying to work out how to use my Pre+ to pull down 100% of app metadata, including the categories, comments and ratings. You've been much more practical and pragmatic in that regard. and i like what you did with Chrome and the Enyo-based app.

    My main "issue", lol.. is that (aside from a dead gesture area) - my data plan is unlimited data but PC traffic counts against the 5GB hotspot, so i've been trying to automate all requests on the Pre+. Hopefully i can load it all up into an SQL database tonight

    But with 4K paid apps, i guess we'll need to think realistically and post a list of the best-liked apps out of each category and have people call out to say if they own X or Y app, Google for stray IPKs or signs that someone may have a copy. Because 4,000 is just so many, and we can't realistically get a copy of everything, unless we:

    • Make a list of paid apps already downloaded by the community
    • Look for "stray" IPKs
    • Ask devs to release their apps
    • Convince people who've left the platform to let us back-up some purchased apps from their inactive Profiles


    And it's looking more and more like we'll need a temporary database-driven site to somehow organize the effort, and i wish we had a month's notice for purchasing of apps. At least the paid apps in abandoned profiles are still good till Jan 15th.

    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    I am sorry that I do not have any time to help on this.

    Another remark, some apps are available in the catalog more than once. separate entries for veer/pixi screen size, larger, or even touchpad.

    Some are listed once, but they are packaged for all types.

    Now might there also be apps, that are listed once but a different IPK would be downloaded for different targets. Are we able to differentiate for those?

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I guess we'll just have to download them with a different UserAgent and token set (or profile) and compare checksums..

    @Grabber5.0: The app URLs are on cdn.palm.com, so i would imagine that HP has a proper cdn-style operation in place, with caching and load-balancing, like for their other sites.

    @Preemptive: Thanks for all your just-in-case planning and hard work, even if an automated solution will make this obsolete
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02/15/2014, 10:25 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08/20/2011, 03:35 AM
  3. Palm profile and cloud syncing is awesome
    By voodoochild in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05/02/2010, 11:01 PM
  4. Can i access my Palm profile in the cloud
    By waddle in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09/19/2009, 11:34 AM
  5. Anyone have luck with Palm's one year warranty and new unit replacement?
    By jesusismetal in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08/02/2009, 12:32 AM

Posting Permissions