Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm curious about webOS since I've never used it, but it looks intriguing, especially now that I've learned so many features common in other smartphone platforms have their origins from webOS.

I have AT&T as my carrier, but I was thinking of picking up a cheap webOS device to play with on WiFi only, without using a SIM.

What devices would you recommend for me to try? I'd like one that is compatible with AT&T just in case I would want to pop in a SIM.

Thanks for your help. 😊

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek
    If you want 4G service (HSPA+), get a Veer, it's really inexpensive and comes in two colors (matte black and gloss white), but it's a credit card sized phone with a small screen, while the much more rare and more expensive Pre3 also has 4G service and a larger screen, at double(?) the resolution of the original.

A Pre2 is 3G-only, but it's has the form factor of the original Pre, with a glass screen like the Veer and Pre3
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    The Veer is a nice device (and cheap), been using it as a daily driver for the past 3 or so years. Small, but does all I need

If you want to try it on a tablet, get a TouchPad, you can use it with the newly developed LuneOS too (open source version of webOS still being developed by the community ) It's unlikely LuneOS will ever come to any of the legacy phones.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    the simple answer is a Veer. Put it in Devmode if you wish to avoid the hassles of activation, and just play with it now. i believe it's dial #*devmode# but double check the star and pound placement with a google search.

it is the cutest little thing! i'm messing with mine right now. it's been off, in storage for half a year and the battery is 100%. wow.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Laura, you're used to the size of your 920 screen. The Veer, while just as capable as any other webOS device, only has a 2.6" screen. The physical kb is tiny and there is no virtual kb to bring up. The Pre 3 is too expensive to use just to try webOS out. The Pixi is a slab with the same screen as the Veer but at least it has a larger kb. Think of the WM Treo Pro and that's roughly the Pixi. AT&T versions are hideously cheap. See you back at the ranch.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    The Pre 2 is likely cheap these days and capable - 16GB standard.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Laura, you're used to the size of your 920 screen. The Veer, while just as capable as any other webOS device, only has a 2.6" screen. The physical kb is tiny and there is no virtual kb to bring up. The Pre 3 is too expensive to use just to try webOS out. The Pixi is a slab with the same screen as the Veer but at least it has a larger kb. Think of the WM Treo Pro and that's roughly the Pixi. AT&T versions are hideously cheap. See you back at the ranch.
    So would you recommend the Pixi for a larger kb?

I wouldn't have an issue with the Veer having a small screen, but if its kb is tiny, that would be a problem. I'm used to the BlackBerry Bold 9000/9700 kb size.

How well does webOS run on a device that doesn't have a touchscreen? From what I've seen, the cards seem to be designed more for use on touchscreen devices than non-touchscreen devices, based upon the gestures with the cards.

I don't know what a WM Treo Pro is, since I've never seen one. I was using BlackBerry in the days of the Treo Pro.
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 10/18/2014 at 12:48 AM.
    Laura Knotek
    I've never used one, but I think the Pixi DOES have a touchscreen - it's just a different form of device - no sliding kb. The Veer was pretty much it's successor.

I'd recommend a phone that runs the latest version of the phone OS, so that's basically a Veer, Pre2 or 3.

Biggest kb = Pre 3, Value might be Veer or Pre2 - depending on your budget.

Mobile Nations - Expanded Accessories Selection - If you click here, and choose 'Palm' from the phone selector, you can see pictures of the phones and the old PalmOS / WinMo Treos.

For slightly different experience, but the most flexibility, is the TouchPad. You get webOS 3.0.5. You can install homebrew system upgrade LunaCE, Dual Boot Cyanogenmod Android (and some Linux versions) and finally the new LuneOS - your gateway to the future of webOS.

But Laura, of all the times to try webOS, why now?!?!? Have you not seen the news?

HP App Catalog and cloud services to be shut down Jan 15, 2015

App purchases stop at the end of the month. We are trying to save what we can.

You'll have to move quickly! ;-)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/18/2014 at 02:15 AM.
    Laura Knotek and Remy X like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    So would you recommend the Pixi for a larger kb?

I wouldn't have an issue with the Veer having a small screen, but if its kb is tiny, that would be a problem. I'm used to the BlackBerry Bold 9000/9700 kb size.

How well does webOS run on a device that doesn't have a touchscreen? From what I've seen, the cards seem to be designed more for use on touchscreen devices than non-touchscreen devices, based upon the gestures with the cards.

I don't know what a WM Treo Pro is, since I've never seen one. I was using BlackBerry in the days of the Treo Pro.
    The Pixi is a pretty bad suggestion, honestly. It runs a half-baked, superseded version of webOS, on a processor that doesn't run many of the compiled apps. The Sprint Pixi doesn't even have WiFi. It's slow.

So if you aren't looking for a bottom-of-the-barrel webOS experience, i'd still vote for the Veer

What's more, the Veer has Flash in the browser, and can also run Skype if you flash it with a Pre3-based MetaDoctor...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    I'd suggest the newest devices as they are the most powerful and shows off webOS the best.
    HP Touchpad for $230 on amazon
    HP Pre 3 for $250 on amazon

The Touchpad is a good bet if you like being a bit hacky and you can try out LuneOS (open webOS) or if webOS isn't for you, you can install Android if you like Android (gross)
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Laura Knotek and cbosdell like this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    I'd suggest the newest devices as they are the most powerful and shows off webOS the best.
    HP Touchpad for $230 on amazon
    HP Pre 3 for $250 on amazon

The Touchpad is a good bet if you like being a bit hacky and you can try out LuneOS (open webOS) or if webOS isn't for you, you can install Android if you like Android (gross)

I know about the Touchpad, since a guy in one of my local Linux User Groups has one. He picked it up during the fire sale.
    Laura Knotek
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I've never used one, but I think the Pixi DOES have a touchscreen - it's just a different form of device - no sliding kb. The Veer was pretty much it's successor.

I'd recommend a phone that runs the latest version of the phone OS, so that's basically a Veer, Pre2 or 3.

Biggest kb = Pre 3, Value might be Veer or Pre2 - depending on your budget.

Mobile Nations - Expanded Accessories Selection - If you click here, and choose 'Palm' from the phone selector, you can see pictures of the phones and the old PalmOS / WinMo Treos.

For slightly different experience, but the most flexibility, is the TouchPad. You get webOS 3.0.5. You can install homebrew system upgrade LunaCE, Dual Boot Cyanogenmod Android (and some Linux versions) and finally the new LuneOS - your gateway to the future of webOS.

But Laura, of all the times to try webOS, why now?!?!? Have you not seen the news?

HP App Catalog and cloud services to be shut down Jan 15, 2015

App purchases stop at the end of the month. We are trying to save what we can.

You'll have to move quickly! ;-)

Why? Just because I figure it's better late than never.
    Laura Knotek
    My opinion: Get a Pre2. It has the latest Phone WebOS firmware, display isn't too small and has a decent keyboard. I used to love my old Veer, but it's very small (good thing I have very small fingers).
    HP Veer Unlocked Wifi/3G 8GB - WebOS 2.1.1 & Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus (maguro) - CM 10.2.1
    WebOS developers are awesome!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonononoki View Post
    My opinion: Get a Pre2. It has the latest Phone WebOS firmware, display isn't too small and has a decent keyboard. I used to love my old Veer, but it's very small (good thing I have very small fingers).
    Latest? From what i remember, you still have to MetaDoctor it up to Pre3's version to get Skype. But i don't mean to nitpick. If 3G is plenty, then a Pre2 is a good choice
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Latest? From what i remember, you still have to MetaDoctor it up to Pre3's version to get Skype. But i don't mean to nitpick. If 3G is plenty, then a Pre2 is a good choice
    The Pre 2 didn't need Meta to get to 2.2.4
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Good to know. I've been gone for a whole year so a few details have gotten fuzzy
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    I think mine actually did OTA right under my nose, which was weird being on sprint. My veer is still 2.12 but it's not a big deal at all.

For this person's request, a cheap example of webOS to play with, plug n play to att, easily found in good condition for very little money and so darn cute - um luneOS? Cmon don't scare the curious newcomer away! Lol

even though i use a Pre2 and TP daily, i think the best ambassador for curiosity of webOS is the veer. It's cuter than bean bird!
    Remy X and Laura Knotek like this.
    Pre2 is pretty good device. Only drawback for me is the keyboard not being clicky enough and seems to get worse over time. Hard to explain to a newcomer I suppose, but in general it requires more pressure than one would expect and some keys more than others which can lead to typos. I don't even try to touch type anymore because of this
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Pre2 is pretty good device. Only drawback for me is the keyboard not being clicky enough and seems to get worse over time. Hard to explain to a newcomer I suppose, but in general it requires more pressure than one would expect and some keys more than others which can lead to typos. I don't even try to touch type anymore because of this
    Same here. I'm planning on removing the stiff "fiber-optic" backlight sheet, which is sandwiched between the white silicone keyboard nubs and the vinyl key button sheet that's the "face" of the keyboard.

I should probably post that as a picture guide, but first i have to finish a "repeating key" patch (among a pile of other unfinished apps and patches) before i tear apart the keyboard and make it work too well to be used for patch testing. And yet right now, downloading the App Catalog is the top priority. I guess that would be another two weeks, but i just HAVE to dig everything up, test it and post it. no excuse, it's been far too long
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Same here. I'm planning on removing the stiff "fiber-optic" backlight sheet, which is sandwiched between the white silicone keyboard nubs and the vinyl key button sheet that's the "face" of the keyboard.

I should probably post that as a picture guide, but first i have to finish a "repeating key" patch (among a pile of other unfinished apps and patches) before i tear apart the keyboard and make it work too well to be used for patch testing. And yet right now, downloading the App Catalog is the top priority. I guess that would be another two weeks, but i just HAVE to dig everything up, test it and post it. no excuse, it's been far too long
    Alright, cool. I will look at a scrap pre minus keyboard to see if I see what you mean. I am tired of the veer and pre3 owners making me feel bad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast