Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    Seeing as we've got only two weeks left before the app catalog shuts it's doors forever, what paid apps would you recommend that others pick up while they've still got the chance?

Now's your chance to show your favorite webOS some love!

My recommendations:

ComicShelf/ComicShelf HD - If you read digital comics - this is the application for you!
    Explorer for Dropbox - The way to access files on Dropbox and get them to your device

Games
    Meteroids
    Robotek HD
    Tennis in the Face
    Sparkle 2
    Developer of FeedSpider - The best webOS newsreader, supporting AOL Reader, BazQux Reader, Feedly, InoReader, OwnCloud News, Tiny Tiny RSS, and The Old Reader, with more to come.
    cbosdell likes this.
    I don't really use DropBox much, but I went ahead and bought Explorer for Dropbox yesterday. Maybe I'll start using it more now.
    Kalemsoft Media Player

Communities (Although due to Tapatalk API changes, the app doesn't work 100% if you're a new user. If you only use WebOS Nation, iMore, and Android Central, get Grabber5.0's fix for it here.

Advanced Browser, for the times when the basic browser doesn't have enough features. Note that this app DOES NOT have an updated version of WebKit.

Glow Hockey HD
    There is a big list that I want to buy, but I live in Rio de Janeiro and I have no option, because I have no US Credit Card...

I was using the USUnlocked, but they change his system and I cannot use again...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    There is a big list that I want to buy, but I live in Rio de Janeiro and I have no option, because I have no US Credit Card...

I was using the USUnlocked, but they change his system and I cannot use again...

Best Regards...
    Make a list and post it

Either someone may have already purchased a copy of what you like, or somebody else might chip in and buy an app or two for the archive
    Man, I would buy so many apps if they discounted them. Especially the kids apps for the touchpad.
    Doctoring or resetting, here's a checklist!
    Can I buy and download some apps to a local storage and then later in few years install them on some device?

I still have brand new sealed TouchPad for future use and then I'd like to install such apps on the new TP even when the App Catalog is gone for long.
    Also I could get some apps (games) for my child for later installation - because now he is too young to play these.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Can I buy and download some apps to a local storage and then later in few years install them on some device?

I still have brand new sealed TouchPad for future use and then I'd like to install such apps on the new TP even when the App Catalog is gone for long.
    Also I could get some apps (games) for my child for later installation - because now he is too young to play these.
    If you have a device and are able to buy from the still active app catalog, consider to install the "no delete ipk" patch before downloading new apps. This way the IPK is saved on your device for backup in a save place and later install.

more info on it and other methods to save already installed apps here:

http://pivotce.com/2014/10/16/hp-to-shut-down-catalog-and-cloud-services/
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Remember everybody, webOS Nation still has many reviews. They are no more out of date than the apps in the catalogue! ;-)

webOS Nation | webOS Forums, Reviews
    Remy X likes this.
    If we need extra space to host these apps, I signed up for box.com when they still offered 50GBs of free space, but I think I need to upgrade my upload allowance first
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    worth this aplicaciĆ³n? SynerGV 1 - Google Voice(tm) for Pichones

for the other hand someone can help me to know how utorrets used?

-- Enviado desde mi HP TouchPad

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Hi All,

TapNote, slightly expensive but runs on handset and tablet. It also saves your notes to DropBox.

I loved that app, simple and easy to use.

Barry
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
    worth this aplicaciĆ³n? SynerGV 1 - Google Voice(tm) for Pichones

for the other hand someone can help me to know how utorrets used?

-- Enviado desde mi HP TouchPad

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Basically to use utorrent, you download the .torrent file, and just open it, and utorrent will come up.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Hi All,

TapNote, slightly expensive but runs on handset and tablet. It also saves your notes to DropBox.

I loved that app, simple and easy to use.

Barry
    TapNote is a great app. I highly recommend this. It's great to be able to have my notes synced between my PC, phone and tablet.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Garfonso likes this.
    Er, I've been emailing with Pattyland and his http://appcat.tk site (uses google search) can't really generate a listing. He pointed me to webOS appcatalog and says that an API that formerly allowed full search was deprecated by HP a while ago - which is presumably what was used for this site.

So I made a list from that site. It is out of date, but lists a similar number of apps to what I see on the TP app catalogue, so it could serve as a baseline reference.

I basically did it by hand, but used search replace and spreadsheet filtering to do a bit of formatting and removal of duplicate entries. I also 'bulk added' a field of guessed categories.

If you've looked at the site, you will see that it lists apps with a decent sized picture. You can then click through to a dedicated page with a lot more detail including price, developer, category etc.

See here:
    DE-Apps | webOS appcatalog (I set to display 100/page and copied the listings - 65 pages! If only I had some kind of super scanner/parser to do it for me!)

Or translated:
    https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

So the next step would be to add the detail from the dedicated pages and in some way update with newer apps.

Then we have a searchable guide - enough for users to decide what to buy before the end of the month, the free apps to get over the next three months and maybe a reference if there ends up being some kind of 'app vault'. One thing I've noticed is that there is a lot of er... stuff I wouldn't bother with. For a start there are a load of packaged (and classic) books that could easily be obtained from Project Gutenberg and read in pReader. There seems to be a lot of other material that is just repurposed as an app that I doubt anyone will want.

So... in an ideal world there is some kind of scanner that trawls www.appcatalog.de to create a formatted list and checks the links to the app catalogue.

Non-ideal is to get enough users to do it by hand - maybe a hundred apps each (64 people?).

The result would be a .CSV you can open in a spreadsheet programme. You can then bulk eliminate (sort) certain types and select paid only until the end of the month, then hopefully free only after that. By January, we could all be confident we have found and acquired everything we might want.

Depending on how the 'gray area' of an app vault is resolved, it could also be an index of free apps for the few new users who might appear.

Please offer thoughts on how best to do this. Issues:
    • Adding detail
    • Validating links
    • Adding new items / version control

I'll attach the list later
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/20/2014 at 11:02 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
    IF... somebody in USA buy some pre paid card that is accept in App Catalog for my account, I can send the money using Paypal and buy all my apps!

Well, I have a lot bought and I want to buy this small list:

- Meteroids ($ 3.99)
    - Dr. Podder ($ 1.99)
    - Podfrency ($ 1.99)
    - Twitihibition ($ 1.99)
    - Spaz Special Edition ($ 1.99)
    - Lunar Attack ($ 1.99)
    - Kalemsoft HD ($ 4.99)
    - ToodleDo PE ($ 3.99)
    - E Notes ($ 1.00)
    - Neato! ($ 1.43)
    - Heroes of Kalevala PE ($ 2.99)
    - Heroes of Kalevala HD ($ 4.99)
    - Sparkle HD ($ 4.99)
    - Azkend HD ($ 4.99)
    - Miriel the Magical Merchant PE ($ 2.99)
    - Miriel the Magical Merchant HD($ 4.99)
    - Miriel's Enchanted Mystery HD ($ 4.99)
    - Profitville HD ($ 4.99)
    - Dragon Portals HD ($ 4.99)
    - The Oregon Trail HD ($ 0.99 - Comprar no Pre-)
    - NFL 2010 HD ($ 0.99 - Comprar no Pre-)
    - Brain Challenge™ ($ 0.99 - Comprar no Pre-)
    - Real Soccer 2010 ($ 0.99 - Comprar no Pre-)
    - Driver ($ 4.99)
    - Skater Nation ($ 0.99 - Comprar no Pre-)
    - Modern Combat: Sandstorm HD ($ 0.99 - Comprar no Pre-)
    - Shrek Kart ($ 0.99 - Comprar no Pre-)
    - Earthworm Jim ($ 0.99 - Comprar no Pre-)
    - Real Tennis ($ 0.99 - Comprar no Pre-)
    - Brothers In Arms®: Hour of Heroes ($ 0.99 - Comprar no Pre-)
    - Hero of Sparta HD ($ 4.99)
    - Dungeon Hunter ($ 4.99)
    - UNO™ HD ($ 4.99)
    - Blades of Fury ($ 4.99)
    - Castle Of Magic ($ 4.99)
    - Slice it ($ 0.99)
    - King Oddball ($ 2.99)
    - Photo Me ($ 1.49)
    - Photo Effects Pro ($ 0.99)
    - Photo Effects Plus ($ 0.99)
    - Song ID ($ 3.00)

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    The result would be a .CSV you can open in a spreadsheet programme. You can then bulk eliminate (sort) certain types and select paid only until the end of the month, then hopefully free only after that. By January, we could all be confident we have found and acquired everything we might want.

Depending on how the 'gray area' of an app vault is resolved, it could also be an index of free apps for the few new users who might appear.

Please offer thoughts on how best to do this. Issues:
    • Adding detail
    • Validating links
    • Adding new items / version control

I'll attach the list later
    I have an old app catalogue listing. I posted it here with some release notes.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...st3426733.html

It is out of date, incomplete and only has basic data, but it has 6000+ apps, is searchable now and links to details pages on appcatalog.de where you can click through to the HP app catalogue itself. Unfortunately, I don't think I have time to auto extract all the data from the original website (appcatalog.de) and certainly not manually to identify all paid apps by the 1st of November, but you can sort 'out' various apps and click throught to view stuff you might want.

There may be a scanner solution in the works...
    Would you pay $5-10 /year for a drop-in replacement to Palm Profile / Cloud Services?
    Hi,

I went ahead and bought a couple of games, also (quell reflect hd, supersonic with and without HD, Beyond Ynth, Asphalt 6, Need for speed and all the sparkles)

However, although I had no problems with sparkle lite on my pre3 and sparkle2 is running fine, the full version of sparkle is not switching to landscape mode, but running in portrait with artefacts of the game filling up the bottom.

Anyone else seeing that?

Regards,
    UW

PS: I already had Assassins creed, Quell HD and KalemSoft Media Player and bought Giant GPS for the TP4G
    I would have bought Ground Effect Pro, but that is not (no more?) available.
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I have an old app catalogue listing. I posted it here with some release notes.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...st3426733.html

It is out of date, incomplete and only has basic data, but it has 6000+ apps, is searchable now and links to details pages on appcatalog.de where you can click through to the HP app catalogue itself. Unfortunately, I don't think I have time to auto extract all the data from the original website (appcatalog.de) and certainly not manually to identify all paid apps by the 1st of November, but you can sort 'out' various apps and click throught to view stuff you might want.

There may be a scanner solution in the works...
    Would you pay $5-10 /year for a drop-in replacement to Palm Profile / Cloud Services?
    Seems like I can export them 1000 at a time on the TP (guess my Veer was too slow :P). Total of 6547 with paid US app catalog access on my TP here. Seems to contain more info compared to your file. I'll try and see if I can put it together into a single file a bit later today

So far haven't seen images in it, could be I need to adjust my query a bit, because they did show for me in the App Catalog via Chrome.

I'll export these first to make sure I have them, then will work on adding more info into it

[edit]
    OK 6547 done, but missing images, re-exporting those now, but only got with 250 records/time, so takes a bit longer :P
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Herrie; 10/21/2014 at 05:31 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Remy X and Preemptive like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Seems like I can export them 1000 at a time on the TP (guess my Veer was too slow :P). Total of 6547 with paid US app catalog access on my TP here. Seems to contain more info compared to your file. I'll try and see if I can put it together into a single file a bit later today

So far haven't seen images in it, could be I need to adjust my query a bit, because they did show for me in the App Catalog via Chrome.

I'll export these first to make sure I have them, then will work on adding more info into it

[edit]
    OK 6547 done, but missing images, re-exporting those now, but only got with 250 records/time, so takes a bit longer :P
    [/edit]
    Is there a link to this list?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast