Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #1  
    As we've all probably heard, Hewlett Packard's impending split into separate "consumer" and "enterprise" entities will mean that our beloved mobile platform will be losing its cloud services.

The awesome, generous, hardworking people at webOS Internals and other devs here have done an tremendous job preparing for this, and done so years before it was truly urgent...

But now i'd like to remind all of us that it's time to make a backup of your favorite apps, because unless you have an archive of them in IPK format, the apps you've paid for will be gone. Please also download all relevant webOS Doctor versions and developer tools, in case they are also slated for removal.

I will do my part in this effort.

. . .

The official schedule:

November 1st: No more new purchases. (first-time free app downloads may also be blocked depending on how the App Catalog was designed, and the logic that powers it)

November 10th: App update submission deadline (for developers)

January 15th: End of all cloud services.

That said, you might all be a little surprised to see me, after i've been gone for over a year. My sincerest apologies to everyone. After all, i'm the guy who was working on designing an app catalog to replace the one currently being decommissioned, so it's ironic in a bad way. Yes. I'll take whatever blame you've got, i take responsibility. I've been slowly working towards resolving my mental health struggles, so that kind of means that once again, whatever little free time i have i will be able to contribute here, and fill my obligations as a developer, more than i have in the past, with my graveyard of unfinished and unpublished patches. Cheers to all who have been taking care of tech support calls in the months i've been away. You guys are irreplaceable and will always have a special place in my heart.
  2.    #2  
    ... wrong subforum. I'd be grateful if the mods could move my post. I realize that starting a new thread has been an overkill, but not having checked, i just posted whatever was on my mind. The end result is the same, i'm here to offer whatever help i can, and i had the intention of creating a mirror of whatever apps i can download, having a little over 5GB bandwidth to burn
    Main discussion thread located here: http://forums.webosnation.com/genera...15-2015-a.html
    what about free apps?

ha, interestingly enough, i was just trying to navigate the hp catalog. its search function appears broken, so i can't search for apps.

a pop up asked me to participate in a survey. i jumped at the chance to give them a ZERO for likelihood of recommending Hp to a friend.
    Remy X likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Search is broken? Dang

Gotta check it out for myself

Yup. %&#@

Edit: I messaged Enda at LG, so hopefully he can relay the message to the HP guys. Meanwhile i guess we gotta use Google :/
    Last edited by Remy X; 10/17/2014 at 02:00 PM.
    only on the developer website. working on the TP through the catalog app.

doing the slow chore of uninst/reinstall. actually doing a lot of installing since its now or never.

this nodeleteipk patch is awesome.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    only on the developer website. working on the TP through the catalog app.

doing the slow chore of uninst/reinstall. actually doing a lot of installing since its now or never.

this nodeleteipk patch is awesome.
    Odd. On the Pre+, tried mine and Mom's and both cannot search the App Catalog

The developer site search has been broken for over two years
    App catalog search working fine on my Pre˛ and Preł.
    app cat on the TP now showing a splash screen with termination date and link to the FAQ. this was not here a moment ago.

Pre2 app cat still shows featured apps with accuweather and tune in on top.

searching Pandora produced relevant results on TP and Pre2.
  10.    #10  
    Reboot solved it... seems that after 24 hours on, something borks up and causes App Cat search to fail. Whew!
    I chuckle thinking about some knucklehead at HP scratching their head looking at the next download report from the App Catalog.
    Remy X and xandros9 like this.
    are all ipk's different Veer vs. Pre2 vs. TP? do i need to capture all 3, uninst/reinst on all devices?
  13.    #13  
    are all ipk's different Veer vs. Pre2 vs. TP? do i need to capture all 3, uninst/reinst on all devices?
    Some apps are "targeted" at certain OS versions...

1.x is a totally different beast than 2.x, and 3.x is a tablet with no gesture area

Some devs have different versions of apps, some don't.

Now that i think of it, Pre+, Pre2 and TP versions are a sure bet, Pre3 for some apps that are specifically sized for the Pre3.... but generally, i don't know yet which apps have separate versions for each platform. This isn't all fun, but then neither is life
    The dev portal for submitting apps to the App Catalog did not allow for multiple versions of the same app/package id. It was one version period for all devices, and your code had to test OS version before enabling features that did not work on all webOS versions. Very late, it seems like they did make some kind of change to allow it to some extent, but I can't remember how it worked. I don't think you are going to find many, if any, exceptions.
    Remy X and TJs11thPre like this.
  15.    #15  
    Awesome. Now i just need to make a dump of the entire app info database and go by that
    what about free apps?

ha, interestingly enough, i was just trying to navigate the hp catalog. its search function appears broken, so i can't search for apps.

a pop up asked me to participate in a survey. i jumped at the chance to give them a ZERO for likelihood of recommending Hp to a friend.
    That's been broken for ages. You need Pattyland's app cataloge search!

http://www.appcat.tk
    Remy X likes this.
    I wonder how to create an archive of my paid and free apps in IPK format? I want to keep them on some disk and install them when I need in future.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    I wonder how to create an archive of my paid and free apps in IPK format? I want to keep them on some disk and install them when I need in future.
    You first make a backup of your app folders, the installed apps, then you uninstall what you have and use GMMan's guide/patch to disable deletion of IPKs. When you redownload/reinstall the apps, you'll find the IPKs in your USB partition, aka "/media/internal/downloads"

You can make a backup using Internalz, by hand, and there's some kind of a backup utility out there as well... just click on "Todays Posts" and you'll see the relevant threads
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Awesome. Now i just need to make a dump of the entire app info database and go by that
    I accidentally tracked down the article on this topic through the post about Angry Birds HD. I don't know how many apps you might encounter like this, but the change was made in mid-2012 to support multiple app versions for different webOS versions. There were only a few situations that would require having a totally separate version, and if I recall correctly, it was limited in some ways that made it less useful. http://www.webosnation.com/app-catal...rozone-pricing
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    put these apps on your list.

webOS Apps - Oceanhouse Media
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast