Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
    Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    It was going to happen sooner or later. At least we have a date now. :/

Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    Q: Why is HP shutting down webOS cloud services?
    A: Shutting down webOS cloud services is part of an orderly end of life program. HP announced the end of webOS devices (phones and tablets) over 3 years ago but the services were kept running to allow customers to continue to have a richer user experience. The user count has dwindled to the point where it is no longer viable to keep the services running. This does not disable the devices currently running in the field.

Q: What features will no longer function after the services are shut down?
    A: The webOS devices will continue to work without cloud services. However the following features will no longer be available:

- Downloading of new apps or updates. The HP App Catalog will be unavailable after the shutdown.
    - Backup or restore devices from the cloud
    - Setup new devices
    - Lost passwords will no longer be recoverable

Q: Will I get system updates?
    A: No. There will be no further system updates available.

Q: I purchased an app that isn’t on my device. Can I still retrieve the app?
    A: Until services are shut down on January 15, 2015, you will be able to download all apps that you purchased before November 1, 2014. After the shutdown date, it will no longer be possible to retrieve such apps.

Q: Can I restore an app?
    A: Yes, until January 15, 2015. After the shutdown date it will not be possible to restore an app.

Q: Can I restore my device from backup?
    A: No, not after the shutdown date of January 15, 2015.

Q: Can I active or re-active a device?
    A: Until January 15, 2015, you can activate, reset, or transfer as normal. But after that date it will no longer be possible.

Q: What happens if my device locks and I don't remember the password?
    A: After the services are shut down you will not be able to recover your password. Before January 15, 2015, please make a point of ensuring that you know your password or retrieve it and write it down in a safe location. You also have the option of turning off the device locking function if you choose.
    Source
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Choorp; 10/15/2014 at 09:31 PM.
    Here's a quick "what to do" article on pivotCE. HP to Shut Down Catalog and Cloud Services | pivotCE

DO NOT PANIC We knew this day was coming.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/16/2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: enhanced link
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    webOS Internals has tweeted two good to know things just moments ago.
    1. Preware cannot host apps from the app catalog without the owners direct permission.
    2. Developers can upload their app to App Gallery | webOS Nation and they will be available from Preware.

Sadly, I think we're headed to a lot of "donate" links but this community is pretty good at respecting quality work with out of pocket donations already. Despite kickstarter debacles.........no comment.

https://twitter.com/webosinternals
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 10/20/2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: twitter link, can't type
    Follow me on Twitter
    I've always wondered... is it possible to do a "Ghost" type of backup of the device, i.e. everything from settings, DB underlying?

I have a bad modem Pre 3 standing by it would be great if I can get that to be a baremetal backup of my production Pre 3 and if anything happens I'll just swap the board over. I already have zero dependency on the HP Cloud, except maybe for my Picsel Office (which I rarely use since I got my Windows 8 tablet).

Sad to say but desperate times call for desperate measures... I sense there will be an underground market for IPK trading very soon.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Remy X likes this.
    Perhaps we need to organise a mass download...
    Remy X and Mutoidi like this.
    Well we must protect the developers' work first and foremost. No pirates! Let's see how they respond and what webOS Internals has in store.
    Follow me on Twitter
    I meant everything everyone owns and that they decide to own over the next three months 15 days. There might even be an uptick in revenue there! Also, a campaign to contact devs and encourage uploads. It might even result in a few updates along the way (LuneOS) - trying to look for an upside! ;-) But there's more than the app catalogue.

Always been fond of these links:
    http://www.webosnation.com/export-all-your-contacts
    http://www.webosnation.com/backup
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/16/2014 at 02:07 AM.
    Remy X and BorkZorkOrc like this.
    Hmm, I wonder if there's any chance that they'll keep hosting the doctors, documentation, etc. (You know, the "cheap" stuff to host).

We'd better get started mirroring, just in case...
    Last edited by Aressel; 10/15/2014 at 10:37 PM.
    Developer of FeedSpider - The best webOS newsreader, supporting AOL Reader, BazQux Reader, Feedly, InoReader, OwnCloud News, Tiny Tiny RSS, and The Old Reader, with more to come.
    monday206am, Remy X and Rnp like this.
    ...Exactly... I'm not sure I have all that... Though I do have all the SDKs I think - for the day when I magically acquire coding skills! ;-)
    Remy X likes this.
    I guess, its time to move into Android phones...very soon. So Sad, cuz I like my palm Pre 3
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    rboerger and C-Note like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I guess, its time to move into Android phones...very soon. So Sad, cuz I like my palm Pre 3
    No reason to stop using it - it will still work.
    Remy X likes this.
    HP webOS, you have meant way more to me than an operating system and it's UI should.

Without you, and this fine community, and the amazing screw-ups that Leo Apotheker made, I would not be where I am right now, working on whatever is next for your younger but more commercially successful brother, LG webOS.

To the HP/Palm webOS community, to Meg Whitman, and most especially Roger -- thank you very much.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    No reason to stop using it - it will still work.
    ...until s**t hits the fan and you need to doctor. Knock on wood mine's fine. I hope I can hold out until Project Ara hits and someone decides to build Touchstone and decent keyboard modules.

It's been so difficult to find a replacement. All I'm asking is magnetic charging, keyboard and one-hand operability. It's all this that keeps me on my Pre 3.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    This is awful...but alas....
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    OK, pipe dream talk here but could it be even remotely possible to reach out to HP and see if the Internals team could take the baton and support all of this from HP? I know that there would be a LOT of work involved and legal issues, etc and these guys have enough on their plate as it is, but I would be willing to throw a few bucks to the cause knowing my profiles are safe with them.

Again, this is likely wishful thinking, but I just wanted to throw this out there.
    Not a rumor. You have likely received this email from HP:

Cloud services support for webOS devices will be ending on January 15, 2015. We appreciate our customer's loyalty the webOS platform. But now, more than three (3) years after the last device was sold, only a small fraction of the devices are still connecting. Therefore, the time has come to shut down the services.

All devices running webOS devices will continue to run after the cloud services are terminated. However, they will no longer be able to:
    - Download new apps or updates. The HP App Catalog will be unavailable after the shutdown
    - Backup or restore devices from the cloud
    - Setup new devices
    - Recover lost passwords

What this means to you:
    - The HP App Catalog will stop supporting new app purchases on November 1, 2014
    - Updates may be posted by developers until November 10, 2014 and users can download any available updates until the services shut down
    - You should make arrangements to backup or transfer your contacts, etc.prior to the service shutdown on January 15, 2015
    - You will no longer be able to backup, restore, reset or initialize a webOS device as of January 15, 2015

There will be additional reminders as the final shutdown approaches. An FAQ can be found at
    Redirect to the target website
    Timeline
    10/15/14 Announcement to users and developers
    11/1/14 New app purchases end
    11/10/14 App update submissions end
    1/15/15 Public shutdown of services

HP webOS Cloud Services

(See y'all over at WPCentral for now. Until LuneOS... )
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    ...until s**t hits the fan and you need to doctor. Knock on wood mine's fine. I hope I can hold out until Project Ara hits and someone decides to build Touchstone and decent keyboard modules.

It's been so difficult to find a replacement. All I'm asking is magnetic charging, keyboard and one-hand operability. It's all this that keeps me on my Pre 3.
    I'm hatching a plan for a Touchstone like Qi device with magnets. Either that or converting Touchstones to Qi. I'm using a Nexus 5 right now, and it already has the metal disc type holding that Palm phones had, so I need to figure out one way or the other, so I can make it work like it SHOULD. I'm hoping I can actually do both, because there's some kinda cool Qi devices out there, and I also happen to have a pair of Touchstone Audio Docks that would be fantastic for N5 use.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Just read the email...

We knew this day was coming.

Perhaps Rod can now research any legalities with launching his alternative, if not already done... and if he's still up to it....
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    A thank you to entire webOS community (that includes you reading this right now).

From my inquires about the Palm Pre Plus before I decided to purchase one back in 2010, to my return to the Pre 3 as my daily driver just this past July, I have always received genuinely helpful and kind responses. I can only hope that I have been able to contribute my part to the community and will continue to do so. While this announcement is saddening, I have nothing but the upmost faith that webOS will continue on.

Long live webOS.

Sincerely,
    ~Ted
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast