Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Once the Dust settles like would to understand, The Doctors I have tons of scripts but I also have Doctors created from those scripts, would they be able to be posted...

Also I have over 2.5G of IPK's from PrePlus/Pre2/PixiPlus/Veer/Touchpad etc...
    This possibility has been raised elsewhere about apps and it seems to me that it's actually more likely to apply to the OS itself.

HP is about to close the only parts of webOS it hasn't sold off to others.Qualcomm's patents are only likely to be used to protect their own developments. Will Legacy webOS be abandonware?

It's unlikely that anyone will take the trouble, but there could even be a mini-renaissance for legacy webOS - especially if there is 'private' code out there that was now released.

Might it be possible to recreate some Palm profile services by examining the system? Back up and remote wipe are obvious ones that you might be able to run on your own PC/NAS/Server.

Could driver code be examined? This might allow forms of OpenwebOS or even LuneOS to appear on Legacy devices - but likely too much work for it to happen, even if possible.

Can any experts comment?
    Remy X likes this.
    I don't think that when they turn the cloud services off that suddenly means everything in the OS becomes public domain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I don't think that when they turn the cloud services off that suddenly means everything in the OS becomes public domain.
    But if they scrub every last bit of software and documentation off their site, it gives us more justification for maintaining a private archive

#RightToRepair
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    No, the whole idea of abandonware is a gray area, but perhaps non-commercial distribution of derivatives or add on services...?

You couldn't start selling Legacy webOS, but 'repairing' or modifying a system no longer commercially available or supported... Would HP bother objecting?

Many of the apps currently in Preware are there because they access parts of the system forbidden to apps in the official catalogue.

As an example, LuneOS may in future enable a system enabling system backup to your own server or PC - maybe using owncloud. It might be possible to create a service that interacts with the legacy devices, so back up, even remote wipe may again be possible.

LuneOS is the future, but it's not a daily driver yet. Something like a replacement profile service could not only maintain legacy users for a while longer, but ultimately enable a smooth transition to LuneOS.

Does Ford prevent the distribution (even sale?) of unofficial Maverick parts & modifications? ;-)
    Maverick / Comet Part Sources

It's true, it's a gray area, but maybe one worth looking at (and a new thread) once the current panic is over.
    Remy X and TJs11thPre like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Don't forget to grab the postinst scripts if you intend to do it that way. Some of them are not standard, auto-generated stand-ins, but actually do something that's relevant to the app's installation

you'll find them in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info, and actually, just copy the whole directory, then take the time to sort them apart
    Where exactly do these originate from. Because I have some small personal apps I created in Enyo (that are very unpolished) that have such files, while others don't. And some of the files have text in them while others don't. So based on what are they auto-generated? --- just curious...
    I always thought that after the shutdown of palm account services and in case of a visit to the (webos-) doctor, we'd just bypass activation and continue using our phones in dev mode. According to this article however, doing so will render the phone unusable for calls and texting. What's the solution to that issue then? Just want to be prepared as I'm not willing to stop using my beloved Veer any time soon.
    You don't have a version 1x device.
    Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation

I'm not clear if this is to do with a phone locked to a carrier and/or an unregistered SIM card. A registered card or an unlocked phone may not have this problem, but I'm guessing here.

I would also guess that an ability to manually back up your profile would include the ability to restore it.

www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WebOS_Survival_Kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Where exactly do these originate from. Because I have some small personal apps I created in Enyo (that are very unpolished) that have such files, while others don't. And some of the files have text in them while others don't. So based on what are they auto-generated? --- just curious...
    Palm-package and Jason's IPK Packager are both able to take user-supplied postinst scripts, but if a script isn't provided, i know that the latter has a default script it uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Here's a quick "what to do" article on pivotCE. HP to Shut Down Catalog and Cloud Services | pivotCE

DO NOT PANIC We knew this day was coming.
    2. Move all of your contacts out of your Palm profile to another client service.*For instance,*Google and Yahoo*(thanks to some patching). You can export your contacts to a file and then import them via the web interface for the service you choose.

I have read all the thread and wondered if this is still the best what to do guide out there, personally I'm still not clear what I have to to. As regards saving contacts as point 2 above for instance, the patch for exporting contacts is not there anymore, what does it mean move them to another client? Hope a better step by step guide will be out soon for idiots like me.
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    I want to download the nodeleteipk patch and start saving ipks of my installed apps, and thought that it would be handy to be able to pull off a text list from my device of all of my apps to keep track of my progress.

Is there an easy way to get this list?
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    P.S.: I've got 106 apps on my TP, that's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    I want to download the nodeleteipk patch and start saving ipks of my installed apps, and thought that it would be handy to be able to pull off a text list from my device of all of my apps to keep track of my progress.

Is there an easy way to get this list?
    A text list would be nice.. But the options we do have are this:

a) Device Info > More info > Software (This is a list with names and version numbers but no icon or developer name)
    b) Preware > Installed Packages > <subcategory> (This list is broken up into categories, but all apps are under "Applications"
    c) /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ (A directory listing would show apps by ID, not by name, such as "ca.canucksoftware.ledtorch" and not "LED Torch, v0.2.7 - Jason Robitaille"

But before you start, please make a backup of "/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/" (app directories) and "/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info" (postinst scripts)

But yours is a common sense request and i wish that was available already
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    I want to download the nodeleteipk patch and start saving ipks of my installed apps
    I wonder if there is a way to just "reinstall" all existing apps from the app catalog without first deleting the apps on the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    I wonder if there is a way to just "reinstall" all existing apps from the app catalog without first deleting the apps on the device.
    Well, if you have a spare device, you can put your "daily driver" in Airplane mode and turn off WiFi, then with a patched spare device, log into your profile and the apps will pour in. Collect the apps and Log out!!!!!

Then you can go into the Backup app on the settings pane of your Launcher and force a backup as soon as you enable WiFi, which should reaffirm that the profile belongs to that phone. I can't give a 100% guarantee, but it's worked in the past
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Well, if you have a spare device,
    interesting approach !
    If I add a spare (new) TP to the same profile it should not be a problem (as I have only 4 devices on that profile) - and 5 devices per profile should work - right. I just need to activate the TP and put the "nodelete" patch in place first.
    If I use a spare Pre3 (phone device) then I need to follow your procedures - because only one smartphone is allowed per webos profile - right?

The "and Log out!!!!!" means I need to connect that device to a different webos profile then - right. This will remove all apps and reinstall the ones of the new selected profile - fine.

Perhaps I do it both ways - with a spare Pre3 and with a spare TP too. Perhaps there are different IPK for the different form factors?
    (Perhaps I should repeat the same with a Pre2 (2.2.4) device too?)
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    interesting approach !
    If I add a spare (new) TP to the same profile it should not be a problem (as I have only 4 devices on that profile) - and 5 devices per profile should work - right. I just need to activate the TP and put the "nodelete" patch in place first.
    If I use a spare Pre3 (phone device) then I need to follow your procedures - because only one smartphone is allowed per webos profile - right?

The "and Log out!!!!!" means I need to connect that device to a different webos profile then - right. This will remove all apps and reinstall the ones of the new selected profile - fine.

Perhaps I do it both ways - with a spare Pre3 and with a spare TP too. Perhaps there are different IPK for the different form factors?
    (Perhaps I should repeat the same with a Pre2 (2.2.4) device too?)
    Correct.

Yes on everything.

You can leave the spare phone on the activation screen if you don't want to create a placeholder profile for it after you log out. I think you can use the devmode "bypass activation" for before patching, and after you patch, you can log in and "borrow" the profile of the other phone.
    Palm-package and Jason's IPK Packager are both able to take user-supplied postinst scripts, but if a script isn't provided, i know that the latter has a default script it uses.
    I only use palm-package. So I still find it somewhat puzzling why some of my (own, personal) apps have postinsts while others don't. And even more why some of these postinsts contains text while others don't (I know it's not related to using (custom) services). It's probably unimportant, but I had never looked into it before; hence my curiosity.

-------------------------

I've backed-up my apps using both approaches (in the past I've only used the copy-cryptofs approach), and I found there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

patch:
    + ipk's are stored on /media/interal so they can be easily copied to a computer.
    + ipk's are in their original state; so reinstalling them should always work.
    + it's fast and easy
    - you need to clean up the /media/cryptofs/tmp folder (empty it) because installation temp-files are not removed when the patch is installed.

re-package from cryptofs
    + you get to see how the apps are organized (I find that an advantage; developers might not ;-) )
    + some apps store data in the app-folder post-installation (I don't know how many, but I do know of at least one). The new package retains this information.
    - it's more cumbersome than the patch-approach.
    - the original ipk is altered (and that might theoretically have some legal implications).
    - applications need to be re-packaged.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    I always thought that after the shutdown of palm account services and in case of a visit to the (webos-) doctor, we'd just bypass activation and continue using our phones in dev mode. According to this article however, doing so will render the phone unusable for calls and texting. What's the solution to that issue then? Just want to be prepared as I'm not willing to stop using my beloved Veer any time soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    You don't have a version 1x device.
    Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation
    I know the Veer is not a webOS 1.x model, but I guess I should have explained why I linked to the 1.x article instead of the one you linked to: In the latter article it says "Unfortunately, the limitations described in our Bypass Activation for webOS 1.x phones still applies for webOS 2.x phones.", with a link to the Bypass Activation webOS 1.x article.

I'm sure we have developers reading here, anybody who tried making a phone call on a device with bypassed activation? Also, is there possibly a difference between GSM and CDMA models?
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    I know the Veer is not a webOS 1.x model, but I guess I should have explained why I linked to the 1.x article instead of the one you linked to: In the latter article it says "Unfortunately, the limitations described in our Bypass Activation for webOS 1.x phones still applies for webOS 2.x phones.", with a link to the Bypass Activation webOS 1.x article.

I'm sure we have developers reading here, anybody who tried making a phone call on a device with bypassed activation? Also, is there possibly a difference between GSM and CDMA models?
    I know for sure it works on 2.x with GSM. We don't have any CDMA network here in Europe, but that could be problematic indeed, because it relies a lot more on the carrier for activation.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    A text list would be nice.. But the options we do have are this:

a) Device Info > More info > Software (This is a list with names and version numbers but no icon or developer name)
    b) Preware > Installed Packages > <subcategory> (This list is broken up into categories, but all apps are under "Applications"
    c) /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ (A directory listing would show apps by ID, not by name, such as "ca.canucksoftware.ledtorch" and not "LED Torch, v0.2.7 - Jason Robitaille"

But before you start, please make a backup of "/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/" (app directories) and "/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info" (postinst scripts)

But yours is a common sense request and i wish that was available already
    Thank you Remy.

I was aware of the first two options, but surprised that neither Preware or Software Manager have a print option. They don't even have an Edit, Select, Copy function :-( I can Print Screen, but will end up with multiplle .jpgs; functional but less than ideal.

Was not aware of the third option, but agree that it will be the least informational for cross checking app versions, etc.

Very unusual that this functionality isn't available.

Thank for your reply.