Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
    Thanks, Remy.

I am thinking that I may need to setup a second Veer and TouchPad, on which I will have bypassed the normal activation process, and installed all of my apps cloned from my existing devices, connected to all my cloud accounts, ready to go on Jan. 15 just in case my "primary" devices somehow get wiped on Jan. 15 as a result of the HP servers shutting down.

I rely on my webOS devices every single day for calendar, contacts, notes, e-mail, etc. I'd rather avoid any disruption, if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
    Thanks, Remy.

I am thinking that I may need to setup a second Veer and TouchPad, on which I will have bypassed the normal activation process, and installed all of my apps cloned from my existing devices, connected to all my cloud accounts, ready to go on Jan. 15 just in case my "primary" devices somehow get wiped on Jan. 15 as a result of the HP servers shutting down.

I rely on my webOS devices every single day for calendar, contacts, notes, e-mail, etc. I'd rather avoid any disruption, if possible.
    That's a great idea, but i generally think the Profile servers will just 403 (Forbidden) or 404 (Not Found) each request, rather than sending out a "wipe" signal. The latter would be a malicious thing to do and not exactly the publicity HP wants during the spin-off
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    That's a great idea, but i generally think the Profile servers will just 403 (Forbidden) or 404 (Not Found) each request, rather than sending out a "wipe" signal. The latter would be a malicious thing to do and not exactly the publicity HP wants during the spin-off
    That's the part that I'm not sure how it works - how is the wipe signal "triggered"? Does the profile server do it remotely? If this is how it works, I agree that it's not likely to happen this way, but we don't know for sure.

Or does the device notice that it is no longer logged in, and initiate the "wipe" sequence? If this is how it works, then we all have more work to do than I initially thought.

I could be mis-remembering, but I thought I remember reading posts here on the forums where people complained that their phones would sometimes get logged out of their profiles, and they would have to log in again, re-download and install all their apps from the catalog, setup all of their cloud and e-mail accounts, etc. This is what has me wondering.
    Is there an easy way to check Contacts to see if any are in the Palm Profile? Most of mine should be in Google, but I don't want to go through them one by one to make sure, unless I have to.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    My Touchpad had a number of database failures and would no longer back-up to the cloud, and it just keeps doing its thing, never wiped. So i think the "wipe" signal is sent by the server as soon as a device contacts it, this is how "remote wipe" works when a stolen device is flagged and reappears online. Unless someone maliciously reconfigures the Profile servers to "wipe all", our devices would just treat this as a network outage.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    Is there an easy way to check Contacts to see if any are in the Palm Profile? Most of mine should be in Google, but I don't want to go through them one by one to make sure, unless I have to.
    Goto Contacts->Preferences & Accounts

Tap on the Palm Profile entry in the account list, and it will tell you how many contacts are in that account. This will work for any account on the list.

Unfortunately, that doesn't tell you which contacts are in the Palm profile - just how many.
    Remy X and broncot like this.
    Goto Contacts->Preferences & Accounts

Tap on the Palm Profile entry in the account list, and it will tell you how many contacts are in that account. This will work for any account on the list.

Unfortunately, that doesn't tell you which contacts are in the Palm profile - just how many.
    Perfect! Exactly what I needed-zero contacts there. 405 in Google.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Thanks, Remy.

If you do that, just don't log in to your profile on the additional phones, or you risk wiping your active one. One thing that might be a good idea ahead of time, and I think the survival kit references this, is log out of your profile on all phones and Touchpads, using the instructions here: StopDeviceWipe - WebOS Internals

Note that on 1.x (for those that it applies to), it seems you can't do it without losing your apps, but if you have backed up the IPKs (and the data using Save/Restore), then you can re-install them after the phone reboots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    If you do that, just don't log in to your profile on the additional phones, or you risk wiping your active one. One thing that might be a good idea ahead of time, and I think the survival kit references this, is log out of your profile on all phones and Touchpads, using the instructions here: StopDeviceWipe - WebOS Internals

Note that on 1.x (for those that it applies to), it seems you can't do it without losing your apps, but if you have backed up the IPKs (and the data using Save/Restore), then you can re-install them after the phone reboots.
    As a 1.x-er, id rather just manually override the DNS entries in the "hosts" file equivalent, and point the Profile domains to localhost. That should be easier and more reversible than logging out
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post

Thanks, Grabber5.0!

I may try the instructions on the WebOS Internals page you referenced with a spare profile I have, just so I can get the hang of it.
    they actually sold the pre 3 in the UK & the veer was sold by at&t ...so they just pull the plug !! this stinks, & makes me wonder if there is no regulation requiring support for a certain period of time like exists for auto parts for vehicles up to 10 years... hp is good at creating enemies ...the enmity I have for them makes me consider my new laptop from M$ or Lenovo but I have NEVER even opened the hp website & will not (unless they produce a good convertable with a pez dispenser included)... sheesh !!
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    they actually sold the pre 3 in the UK & the veer was sold by at&t ...so they just pull the plug !! this stinks, & makes me wonder if there is no regulation requiring support for a certain period of time like exists for auto parts for vehicles up to 10 years... hp is good at creating enemies ...the enmity I have for them makes me consider my new laptop from M$ or Lenovo but I have NEVER even opened the hp website & will not (unless they produce a good convertable with a pez dispenser included)... sheesh !!
    HP announced the end of webOS 3 years ago. There is no regulation requiring manufacturers to support devices beyond the warranty. We don't need HP's support anymore!
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    HP announced the end of webOS 3 years ago. There is no regulation requiring manufacturers to support devices beyond the warranty. We don't need HP's support anymore!
    a place to store all the work lots of people put in that hp will trash would be great so the average end user would be able to use the device a little longer...eh?
    Honestly, the sooner they put webOS in their past, the sooner we can be more aggressive with sharing what we need in the underground without them getting all legalese. I'm hoping it becomes more hobbyist friendly once it's not seen as a consumer grade item. No one has to know anymore how good webOS is. We know and id like to preserve it for us as long as possible.
    Remy X, cbosdell and vgg like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Honestly, the sooner they put webOS in their past, the sooner we can be more aggressive with sharing what we need in the underground without them getting all legalese. I'm hoping it becomes more hobbyist friendly once it's not seen as a consumer grade item. No one has to know anymore how good webOS is. We know and id like to preserve it for us as long as possible.
    I hope the hardware outlives the waiting ...my 2nd pre3 is now having the double character keyboard issue ...drat !!
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    I hope the hardware outlives the waiting ...my 2nd pre3 is now having the double character keyboard issue ...drat !!
    I'm sorry..

So as soon at the App Catalog emergency is sorted out, i should dig up my "patch" for this issue.... it's a kernel-level fix, so that it would work in every app regardless of framework.

But i'm now thinking that a hardware fix (pulling out the backlight diffuser sheet) is a more sensible approach
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Once the Dust settles like would to understand, The Doctors I have tons of scripts but I also have Doctors created from those scripts, would they be able to be posted...

Also I have over 2.5G of IPK's from PrePlus/Pre2/PixiPlus/Veer/Touchpad etc...

If HP really pulls the Doctors and every scrap of code, our hands will be untied. We just have to collect everything. I've just remembered that many help pages on 1.x are unavailable in Airplane mode, so that might be another thing for us to download
    Would there be any downside to just copying the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm folder from my devices and just using the ipk packager app to save the ipk's that way? I think that should be fine and for me a lot more convenient than manually deleting and reinstalling everything.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    Would there be any downside to just copying the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm folder from my devices and just using the ipk packager app to save the ipk's that way? I think that should be fine and for me a lot more convenient than manually deleting and reinstalling everything.
    Don't forget to grab the postinst scripts if you intend to do it that way. Some of them are not standard, auto-generated stand-ins, but actually do something that's relevant to the app's installation

you'll find them in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info, and actually, just copy the whole directory, then take the time to sort them apart
    vgg and Paulscarbs like this.