Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
    for LG to pick up the app catalog, at least in part ...??
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Any of you guys in on the idea of "harvesting" old profiles' apps?

A couple of devices could be set aside, and we could use them to log into profiles that some members have abandoned (with permission of course), who no longer own a webOS device but have purchased apps in the past

GMMan: [How To] Retain App IPKs from App Catalog
    And @patapoof, i don't think LG cares... it's not something that will add any money to their bottom line, other other hand, a detailed consultation with lawyers on how to do this right will easily cost them $20,000.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/16/2014 at 08:25 PM.
    I have loved my sprint palm pre since launch day but it has had hardware issues so I am using a galaxy s3 since august 2014. My dislike of that os has been tempered by my touchpad but this news has me so sad now.

My touchpad has a few issues that I say I will fix later. It is not doctored or homebrewed in any way but it has 2 issues: 1. Not enough space to download apps, 2. Too many cards open even when nothing is open.

So how do you get the apps you paid for when you cannot download them? I guess I should get brave and download webOS doctor on my macbook pro running snowleopard. And I should put preware on my touchpad as what do I have to loose at this point? You can see I am a little afraid I'll screw it up.

I have loved reading everything people put on this site and want to thank everyone for all the help I've gotten on this forum.

I love webOS and always will. WebOS forever!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Well, I don't think I have anything besides HP catalog apps that are only backed up to the HP Cloud.

What will happen to the webOS Doctor though? Will it still be available, or should I download the files now? I've never really needed to use it, but seeing as they are ending support and stuff makes me think I may need to download it now or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by katnou View Post
    I have loved my sprint palm pre since launch day but it has had hardware issues so I am using a galaxy s3 since august 2014. My dislike of that os has been tempered by my touchpad but this news has me so sad now.

My touchpad has a few issues that I say I will fix later. It is not doctored or homebrewed in any way but it has 2 issues: 1. Not enough space to download apps, 2. Too many cards open even when nothing is open.

So how do you get the apps you paid for when you cannot download them? I guess I should get brave and download webOS doctor on my macbook pro running snowleopard. And I should put preware on my touchpad as what do I have to loose at this point? You can see I am a little afraid I'll screw it up.

I have loved reading everything people put on this site and want to thank everyone for all the help I've gotten on this forum.

I love webOS and always will. WebOS forever!
    Try moving files off your USB partition onto your Mac (or spare drive) maybe this will free up space.

Definitely download doctors and anything else you might need - just in case.

Read this for a start: HP to Shut Down Catalog and Cloud Services | pivotCE

Unfortunately, this situation will likely lose us some more people, but then you find newer phones going cheap - a pre2 or 3.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/17/2014 at 12:31 AM.
    You need to download the doctors now, because there is no guarantee they will continue to be available in the future. Look for the appropriate version here: http://en.webos-internals.org/wiki/W...octor_Versions

There are other important instructions in the 'survival kit'. Read the article in the first post of this thread for the link to the survival kit. Act now, don't delay.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Try moving files off your USB partition onto your Mac (or spare drive) maybe this will free up space.

Definitely download doctors and anything else you might need - just in case.

Read this for a start: HP to Shut Down Catalog and Cloud Services | pivotCE

Unfortunately, this situation will likely lose us some more people, but then you find newer phones going cheap - a pre2 or 3.
    Thx for the pivotce article, but please add an "check if app is still available in app catalog" prior to deleting/patching/reinstalling because reinstall will not be possible for removed from app cat apps.

For those apps the solution 2 in the article is working for a later recovery. I updated my posting for using mybackup a lot so not so advanced users could use it: The webOS Survival Kit

Or someone "donates" those already downloaded IPKs.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 10/17/2014 at 05:45 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Why? You can still "activate" your phone offline (bypass activation), you can back-up your paid apps now and sideload them later. Not much will change aside from us having to be diligent about manual backups
    All true, but the death of the servers is, for me, the final indication that we are not going to get any new WebOS mobile devices in the foreseeable future. I've held on longer than I should have, taking a risk on a fantastic but essentially moribund platform as my primary phone for personal and business use. As someone who has to travel at short notice with limited tech. at times, I needed that cloudy element to be there in the background as a last-resort safety net.

The Pre3 will be the handset against which I judge all others until I find something that works better - but that will take a long time, I fear.

Of course, if there's some sort of contradictory announcement from LG before mid-December I'll change my plans.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Hi, can anybody please tell me how upload ipk's to preware feeds? I have the permission from a developer to upload his apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by davodego View Post
    Hi, can anybody please tell me how upload ipk's to preware feeds? I have the permission from a developer to upload his apps.
    From the front page article: " Any developers interested in moving their apps over to the App Gallery are welcome to do so and can request access to submit apps here (select "Submit Homebrew App" as the category)."

Link : Contact | webOS Nation
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Thx for the pivotce article, but please add an "check if app is still available in app catalog" prior to deleting/patching/reinstalling because reinstall will not be possible for removed from app cat apps.

For those apps the solution 2 in the article is working for a later recovery. I updated my posting for using mybackup a lot so not so advanced users could use it: The webOS Survival Kit

Not only that, but with some apps, when you uninstall them, you lose your data from the app, so make sure to use Save/Restore before attempting any of this (I know you mention it in your post, but I wanted to make sure it was mentioned in this thread also), so you can at least back up the data for the apps that are supported.. On webOS 2.x and up, if they use db8 storage, the data is likely to still be there (which is good, as it's not supported by Save/Restore), but esp on earlier devices, and older apps, when you uninstall the app, your data is gone.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Also, a campaign to contact devs and encourage uploads.
    I emailed 10tons and Hexage yesterday to ask/beg them (because I really like their games, they have both supported the platform long after others abandoned us, and I own all of their (Touchpad) games).

I cannot blame them if they decide not to, but I a few minutes ago I received the following (encouraging) mail from 10tons (I changed my name to my forum id):

Hello Misj',

thanks for contacting us, and thanks for playing our webOS games!
    We will certainly look into this. No promises at this time though, but we will discuss this internally and take it from there.

Cheers,

Jaakko
    10tons

Whatever they decide, I for one am glad I supported these guys. And when I have a non-webOS device in the future, I will continue to support them. And I just wanted to share this here.

EDIT: added Hexage's response. No one can (or should!) blame them; but it's unfortunate (espedially considering that the in-app purchased add-ons will probably become non-unlockable); again, I changed my name.

Hi Misj',

thank you for playing our games, we appreciate your support.

Unfortunately, we no longer support webOS and we can't host our games for free on 3rd party servers (due to licensing and legal issues).

Our games are available on many other platforms, including iOS, Android, and Windows Phone. If you ever migrate from webOS to another platform, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll give you activation codes to unlock the games on your new device.

All the best,

Jessica Stone*| hexage
    Last edited by Misj'; 10/17/2014 at 02:20 PM.
    Sad date. I really hope LG comes out with something new at CES 2015 or MWC 2015
    MartinH@webos likes this.

Updated article to reflect the excellent point you've raised. HP to Shut Down Catalog and Cloud Services | pivotCE
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I also want to note: originally Angry Birds was free for Touchpad users. However, since then the app has become a paid app, and when you remove you cannot reinstall it without paying (and as long as Rovio does not give us the promised final chapters of Rio I am not going to do that...fortunatelly I already had a backup of it). At least that was my experience last time I doctored.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    I also want to note: originally Angry Birds was free for Touchpad users. However, since then the app has become a paid app, and when you remove you cannot reinstall it without paying (and as long as Rovio does not give us the promised final chapters of Rio I am not going to do that...fortunatelly I already had a backup of it). At least that was my experience last time I doctored.
    When did you last doctor? I did it when the shutdown was announced, and I've had no problem installing Angry Birds.
    Quote Originally Posted by shicky256 View Post
    When did you last doctor? I did it when the shutdown was announced, and I've had no problem installing Angry Birds.
    A few months back (between ACL beta and 1.0); I plan on doctoring again. So I'm glad the problem has been resolved.

But it was quite a while after this post:
    Angry Birds HD switches to a paid app, was supposed to be that way all along | webOS Nation
    I understand the need for backing up apps and Doctors and other files as they won't be available after Jan. 15.

I understand the Palm profiles will no longer function after that date and that data like calendars and contacts associated with the Palm profile should be migrated to other cloud calendar and contact providers.

What I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is what exactly, if anything, will happen to our devices that are logged into a Palm profile on January 15th?

I know that if I setup a new phone today while the profile servers still are available, and log into my existing Palm profile on the new phone, the old phone basically gets wiped - all apps and data are removed, right? I think it will keep the contents of the media drive, but that's it. I've only gone through this one time, about 3 years ago, so the details are a bit fuzzy.

Is this what we think will happen? Will I have to re-setup my device from scratch and bypass activation as if it were a developer device?

Or will our apps and devices remain relatively intact, and we may just need to turn off the "Backup my device" option?

Thanks.
    Last edited by George Mari; 10/18/2014 at 12:21 PM.
    What will happen is HP's servers will stop responding. Disabling backups is a wise move, because the phones will keep "knocking" at the closed door. Otherwise, someone at HP can one day selectively re-enable backups for a handful of devices, and sit around looking at private information.

I think "bypass activation" will be the routine when it comes to setting up doctored devices.

Anyway, great to see someone asking lots of questions, we need that,we need critical thinking