Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
    Thanks a bunch! Never thought someone would buy the domain from under them.
    So, my FrankenPre 2 has been doctored and I can get started on backups, but I have a question for my Touchpad

I still have (and use) the original Touchpad that I bought during the fire sale and use it frequently, but have never doctored it. Then I bought a backup refurbed Touchpad off a Woot sale but was keeping it for parts or in case of damage to my main Touchpad and have never activated it.

1) I suppose I should go ahead and doctor my original Touchpad so I can get set up with Preware feeds, etc., and do my own local backups

2) Should I activate my second Touchpad now and doctor it now? (Can there be two Touchpad's on my same WebOS account?) ...or just keep it as a parts source backup?

I'm not ready to ditch WebOS yet in January, especially with LuneOS perhaps targeting the Touchpad.
    Given that HP is in the midst of letting 55,000 employees go, I'm surprised it took the company as long as it did to make this decision.

I too had to leave my Pre3 a while back after several apps no longer would play in this continually updating world. My great thanks to everyone here who made the ride as fun as it has been, and those no longer with us who blazed the trail the few, proud devs followed and supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by rboerger View Post
    Given that HP is in the midst of letting 55,000 employees go, I'm surprised it took the company as long as it did to make this decision.

I too had to leave my Pre3 a while back after several apps no longer would play in this continually updating world. My great thanks to everyone here who made the ride as fun as it has been, and those no longer with us who blazed the trail the few, proud devs followed and supported.
    I am sad to see it go ...I love the keyboard & the interface ...I would have wished for a cyanogen mod for the pre 3 16gb but didn't happen ...I have it on my touchpad which gives it a longer lifespan... hardware is good, so any hopes for a CM for it ??
    Quote Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
    So, my FrankenPre 2 has been doctored and I can get started on backups, but I have a question for my Touchpad

I still have (and use) the original Touchpad that I bought during the fire sale and use it frequently, but have never doctored it. Then I bought a backup refurbed Touchpad off a Woot sale but was keeping it for parts or in case of damage to my main Touchpad and have never activated it.

1) I suppose I should go ahead and doctor my original Touchpad so I can get set up with Preware feeds, etc., and do my own local backups

2) Should I activate my second Touchpad now and doctor it now? (Can there be two Touchpad's on my same WebOS account?) ...or just keep it as a parts source backup?

I'm not ready to ditch WebOS yet in January, especially with LuneOS perhaps targeting the Touchpad.
    You can have two TouchPad's on the same account, unlike phones, I have a 16GB for my daughter to play with and a 32GB for myself.
    I too need to doctor mine and will do it before November 1st. I had planned to do it on Thanksgiving.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    I'm curious, how will this effect the Kindle app going into the future? I use this app frequently on my TouchPad.
    Good question... I use Kindle on webOS instead of on my CM side. The webOS Kindle app is soooo much nicer than Android's. I'm going to make sure I save my .ipk's to a cloud storage drive instead of my HD. I lost everything last year when my drives (yes main and backup) crashed at home. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Good question... I use Kindle on webOS instead of on my CM side. The webOS Kindle app is soooo much nicer than Android's. I'm going to make sure I save my .ipk's to a cloud storage drive instead of my HD. I lost everything last year when my drives (yes main and backup) crashed at home. Ugh.
    Damn, that's awful.

I'd recommend storing the most important stuff in three "cold" backup locations.. a mechanical/magnetic hard drive + a flash drive/SSD/SDcard + encrypted archive in the cloud.

Did you have a RAID array fail or was this a lightning strike that took out both drives while a backup was taking place? Whatever it was, i shudder at the thought.

But if you still have the drives, you may be able to get a replacement board from a drive of the same model, or if the motor itself is fried, people have had luck transferring the physical platters to a donor drive and doing a block-level dump to reconstruct later.

That said, you might all be a little surprised to see me, after i've been gone for over a year. My sincerest apologies to everyone. After all, i'm the guy who was working on designing an app catalog to replace the one currently being decommissioned, so it's ironic in a bad way. Yes. I'll take whatever blame you've got, i take responsibility. I've been slowly working towards resolving my mental health struggles, so that kind of means that once again, whatever little free time i have i will be able to contribute here, and fill my obligations as a developer, more than i have in the past, with my graveyard of unfinished and unpublished patches. Cheers to all who have been taking care of tech support calls in the months i've been away. You guys are irreplaceable and will always have a special place in my heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    I personally would recommend BlackBerry 10 devices to someone looking to find the "next best thing" compared to webOS. It's taken a lot of what made webOS great and developed it with it's own twist. Gestures are just as intuitive (with the ability to swipe to wake the device), the hub is great with nothing else like it (similar to Messages/Email/Notifications combined on webOS) and it keeps getting better with 10.3/10.3.1.

This is sad news but we all knew it was coming. I'll backup IPKs of all my apps installed on my TouchPad Go/Pre3 and any other ones I've used previously I think might be useful. Ultimately nothing is changing here if you prepare and finally the last ties to HP are gone.
    I saw the BlackBerry Classic. It's fairly promising. If only the charging was Touchstone instead of Qi I would be buying one this instant.

BlackBerry Classic Q20 complete specs revealed, hi-res images follow | MobileSyrup.com
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    cbosdell likes this.
    Even though I knew it would come sooner or later and I've switched to Android [language deleted by moderator]
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/16/2014 at 02:41 PM.
    HP Veer Unlocked Wifi/3G 8GB - WebOS 2.1.1 & Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus (maguro) - CM 10.2.1
    WebOS developers are awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    You can have two TouchPad's on the same account, unlike phones, I have a 16GB for my daughter to play with and a 32GB for myself.
    I too need to doctor mine and will do it before November 1st. I had planned to do it on Thanksgiving.
    Thanks for the tip! I had forgotten about the ability to have multiple Touchpads on the same account.
    You know, come to think about it, HP actually stopped allowing new devices since a long time ago, like you know... when they decided not to update the certificate?

So we actually had a soft date, and now it's just a hard deadline.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You know, come to think about it, HP actually stopped allowing new devices since a long time ago, like you know... when they decided not to update the certificate?

Did i miss something while i was gone?

I thought the certificate had been pushed out as an update to those who logged in before last summer's deadline. I still have my copy. And if you set the date back to before expiration, you could activate a device.

Did something change?
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Did i miss something while i was gone?

I thought the certificate had been pushed out as an update to those who logged in before last summer's deadline. I still have my copy. And if you set the date back to before expiration, you could activate a device.

Did something change?
    Yeah but having a workaround I wouldn't really consider as "working". Guess my QA instincts are at it again.

Remy X likes this.
    see that coming miles away but still sad when it's finally here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronis67 View Post
    Thanks a bunch! Never thought someone would buy the domain from under them.
    Yeah, but it's still more or less low hanging fruit, not impossible to get it back.
    I'm not a professional "pest", so i would not attempt it at this point, but on the other hand, getting the preware thief blacklisted for "click fraud" should minimize their ad revenue. Once the more pressing matters are taken care of, we can step on the gas and make it more of a hassle than it is worth. For the 'lulz, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

The certificate problem did not affect activating devices, only the app catalog.
    NO APP fire sale? I wish all the paid app's to be priced at $0.01 at the final days.
    Quote Originally Posted by red_sun99 View Post
    NO APP fire sale? I wish all the paid app's to be priced at $0.01 at the final days.
    Like that idea! I'd buy a bunch of stuff then!

Hopefully this will drop the price of Pre3's on eBay since most people won't go through the steps to get them working.

I also realized with HP's servers out of the way, I can setup my backup device with all my apps and data on wifi, making it a clone of my current Pre3, making switching easier when I need it. For that matter, I could setup an old Pre2 as a play device for my kids with games on it and not be afraid of it connecting to wifi!

Also, with this app warehouse idea I can finally get back some of the games I lost when App Tuckerbox lost access (I had some games that were Pre2 or Pre only and can't get them on the Pre3 or TouchPad).
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Any of you guys in on the idea of "harvesting" old profiles' apps?

A couple of devices could be set aside, and we could use them to log into profiles that some members have abandoned (with permission of course), who no longer own a webOS device but have purchased apps in the past

GMMan: [How To] Retain App IPKs from App Catalog
    Last edited by Remy X; 10/16/2014 at 06:02 PM.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast