Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
    Link for detailed instruction to create a backup of all apps to save and restore them on other or same device (Metaviews "mybackup") is here:
    Hidden webOS Tips and Tricks

This is a complete copy of all apps installed on your device, so only restore on same OS version is possible.

More backup options for contacts... also in link above.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 10/16/2014 at 04:17 AM.
    Just posted my own thread, 20 minutes later... " http://forums.webosnation.com/open-w...paid-apps.html "

Ain't i slow?

But in any case, i'm here to offer whatever help i can.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
    OK, pipe dream talk here but could it be even remotely possible to reach out to HP and see if the Internals team could take the baton and support all of this from HP? I know that there would be a LOT of work involved and legal issues, etc and these guys have enough on their plate as it is, but I would be willing to throw a few bucks to the cause knowing my profiles are safe with them.

Again, this is likely wishful thinking, but I just wanted to throw this out there.
    I've considered this. I'm reviewing my proposal and may put it up later, but it is very hard to know the technical, legal and financial implications. Even if there was a donation of material from HP, it would need some hosting & admin.
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    Damn!

Time to start looking at lesser phones.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Count me in. #archive

That said, you might all be a little surprised to see me, after i've been gone for over a year. My sincerest apologies to everyone. After all, i'm the guy who was working on designing an app catalog to replace the one currently being decommissioned, so it's ironic in a bad way. Yes. I'll take whatever blame you've got, i take responsibility. I've been slowly working towards resolving my mental health struggles, so that kind of means that once again, whatever little free time i have i will be able to contribute here, and fill my obligations as a developer, more than i have in the past, with my graveyard of unfinished and unpublished patches. Cheers to all who have been taking care of tech support calls in the months i've been away. You guys are irreplaceable and will always have a special place in my heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Damn!

Why? You can still "activate" your phone offline (bypass activation), you can back-up your paid apps now and sideload them later. Not much will change aside from us having to be diligent about manual backups

That said, you might all be a little surprised to see me, after i've been gone for over a year. My sincerest apologies to everyone. After all, i'm the guy who was working on designing an app catalog to replace the one currently being decommissioned, so it's ironic in a bad way. Yes. I'll take whatever blame you've got, i take responsibility. I've been slowly working towards resolving my mental health struggles, so that kind of means that once again, whatever little free time i have i will be able to contribute here, and fill my obligations as a developer, more than i have in the past, with my graveyard of unfinished and unpublished patches. Cheers to all who have been taking care of tech support calls in the months i've been away. You guys are irreplaceable and will always have a special place in my heart.
    Rnp likes this.
    I'm too confused. Hopefully it will become clearer over time.

1. Don't i already have my webOS doctor saved on my computer? Or will that doctor be rendered useless after 1/15?
    2. Don't i already bypass Hp because my backup app is set to OFF to prevent weird data power drains?
    3. Won't new activations still work if we just use devmode?
    4. Can we make a shared Google drive with all ipks? Maybe organize a membership or senior forum rank function for access to it?
    5. Will we be able to share, or must we each have our own copies of everything in a "every man for himself" atmosphere?

Can we also consolidate the 6 threads covering this subject? Maybe keep one clean with instructions only and one that gets all questions merged so future visitors can find answers easily and not create duplicates?
    Alright hope for the best and plan for the worst. What are recommendations for a next phone about the size of a pre 2 or pre 3?
    God damnit.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Damn!

Same reaction, big Damn you !!! to HP (those stupid knuckleheads including Mrs Whitman).... I can't believe all of these its happening...they first killed WebOS, SDK, the entire development community and now its final nail in the coffin killing its most important part of an Palm's WebOS operating system -- the App Catalog and back up services (like profile and data back up).

Its hard pill to swallow, because despite such a small community here in WebOS "we stood the test of times together" patching whatever got broken, customizing things on our devices. But receiving this very bad news from HP... Its a really big killer... Its sad thing, but I guess that it would force people to say "Hello to Google" Android...
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 10/16/2014 at 07:26 AM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Link for detailed instruction to create a backup of all apps to save and restore them on other or same device (Metaviews "mybackup") is here:
    Hidden webOS Tips and Tricks

This is a complete copy of all apps installed on your device, so only restore on same OS version is possible.

More backup options for contacts... also in link above.
    unfortunately complicated tutorial to backup. someone who can help you speak Spanish? translation and other changes my words do not translate. thank you all. this is not the end. what does not kill you makes you

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Same reaction, big Damn you !!! to HP (those stupid knuckleheads including Mrs Whitman).... I can't believe all of these its happening...they first killed WebOS, SDK, the entire development community and now its final nail in the coffin killing its most important part of an Palm's WebOS operating system -- the App Catalog and back up services (like profile and data back up).

Its hard pill to swallow, because despite such a small community here in WebOS "we stood the test of times together" patching whatever got broken, customizing things on our devices. But receiving this very bad news from HP... Its a really big killer... Its sad thing, but I guess that it would force people to say "Hello to Google" Android...
    I personally would recommend BlackBerry 10 devices to someone looking to find the "next best thing" compared to webOS. It's taken a lot of what made webOS great and developed it with it's own twist. Gestures are just as intuitive (with the ability to swipe to wake the device), the hub is great with nothing else like it (similar to Messages/Email/Notifications combined on webOS) and it keeps getting better with 10.3/10.3.1.

This is sad news but we all knew it was coming. I'll backup IPKs of all my apps installed on my TouchPad Go/Pre3 and any other ones I've used previously I think might be useful. Ultimately nothing is changing here if you prepare and finally the last ties to HP are gone.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post

Cloud services support for webOS devices will be ending on January 15, 2015. We appreciate our customer's loyalty the webOS platform. But now, more than three (3) years after the last device was sold, only a small fraction of the devices are still connecting. Therefore, the time has come to shut down the services.
    Meh!
    BB10? No, thanks...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Remy X likes this.
    A sad day indeed. Unfortunately I moved off my Pre3 as a daily driver some months ago as I needed support for a couple of apps for my daily work (Citrix Receiver and Good) to enable remote working. I have been pleasantly surprised by vanilla Android on my Nexus 7 to the point the only thing I really miss is the physical keyboard (keep trying to slide open the Nexus )

Now I am unsure how to feel. I haven't used the Pre or Pre3 other than to test SIMs and set up the occasional hotpsot but it would be horrid to think they will become doorstops.

A sad day indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    ...until s**t hits the fan and you need to doctor. Knock on wood mine's fine. I hope I can hold out until Project Ara hits and someone decides to build Touchstone and decent keyboard modules.

It's been so difficult to find a replacement. All I'm asking is magnetic charging, keyboard and one-hand operability. It's all this that keeps me on my Pre 3.
    Well my Nexus 5 has the magnetic charging albeit if you want a charger that holds at an angle like the touchstone you need to either do without the magnets (what I'm doing) or roll your own. I miss the keyboard and one handed is mostly ok but certainly not as easy. Price is good, community support is excellent, OS is getting better all the time and has already exceeded WebOS 2.x in many areas. It looks like 5.0 will pretty much mop up the remaining useability aspects.

That's not to say I don't miss my Pre3 and I will certainly be following what happens here to make sure I can continue to use it as and when I want to.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caeparris3 View Post
    Alright hope for the best and plan for the worst. What are recommendations for a next phone about the size of a pre 2 or pre 3?
    I've gone to a Galaxy S4 Mini. It's the same width as a Pre 3, and just a scooch taller. I've adapted mine for wireless charging.
    So I just found the email in my spam folder. A sad time. I only bought a Touchpad because of the firesale, but years later, I still couldn't be happier with it. I like webOS so much more than Android or iOS. It just seems so much more intuitive to me. But yeah, now I'm a bit confused on what to do. Just tried to get Save/Restore from Preware, but I was getting errors. Guessing their servers are getting hit a bit more than they're used to.

Also, is there anything on App Store that is really worth while? I do have Android on my TP also, but I'm just curious if there is something I'd be really missing out on if I don't get it.
    Well, I think we've all been waiting for this day for a long time.

I remember reading the WebOS Survival Kit a long time ago. Between the .ipk-saving instructions linked above in this thread, and the Survival Kit, I think we're covered. I'm going to spend an hour saving all my ipk's and making sure that I've downloaded everything I need to survive doomsday!

Is it wrong to say this makes me happy? I've always loved a good 'end of the world' movie! And who wants to be linked to HP anyway?

WebOS Survival Kit - WebOS Internals
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Passport SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronis67 View Post
    So I just found the email in my spam folder. A sad time. I only bought a Touchpad because of the firesale, but years later, I still couldn't be happier with it. I like webOS so much more than Android or iOS. It just seems so much more intuitive to me. But yeah, now I'm a bit confused on what to do. Just tried to get Save/Restore from Preware, but I was getting errors. Guessing their servers are getting hit a bit more than they're used to.

Also, is there anything on App Store that is really worth while? I do have Android on my TP also, but I'm just curious if there is something I'd be really missing out on if I don't get it.
    If you want to get up to speed, you could do worse than read the status report linked in my signature.

Of particular interest to you may be this link: TIP: preware.net solutions for WOSQI, Preware v1.9.13 | pivotCE
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast