Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By Saijin_Naib
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    hey guys !

So recently, Sailfish OS came out on some official hardware (under the tacky name of Jolla phone) which is apparently descended from the MeeGo OS. The interface is navigated with heavy utilisation of
    gestures. It has a clean, buttonless interface. The UI design is reminiscent of webOS in a Windows Phone 8 costume and in short : I find it tacky and uninspiring. It's boring, they take the new trend of minimalism to a whole different level. It's uninspiring and over simplistic.

The Jolla phone has a 1,5 GHz processor with one gigabyte of RAM. It has an 8 megapixel camera. The overall design of the phone is a sharply-angled rectangle with interchangeable back covers. A nice feature of the software is that it recognises when the back cover changes, and what colour it is, so the UI takes on a new theme based on the back cover's colour, which is cool. There are currently about 85.000 apps available for Sailfish, which comes from a third-party app store which hosts Android apps that have been ported to the OS, which is quite nice and impressive.

I think it has potential, but the UI I am having trouble with... It's quite new and refreshing, I love the idea of it. It's seamless and intuitive, but it has poor execution.

What are your thoughts on Sailfish OS ? What do you guys think will happen to this promising OS ?
    There are a couple of past big developers who have been involved with Sailfish. I was talking with one on Twitter last fall and he absolutely loves it. He's working with Windows phone now, but has nothing but love for Jolla's Sailfish OS. The last demo I saw was when it was still pretty Beta. Not sure how far it's progressed from there, but think of it this way.... Meego has a fan base as loyal as webOS. So loyal that they took the OS and started developing it once the Linux Foundation cut it loose in 2011. This is what many are hoping happens with webOS. I have a hard time slamming an OS (and it's fans) with such a similar story to webOS.

Yes it may not be what you like, but Jolla has come farther and done more with Sailfish in a couple of years than anyone has with Open webOS. I've said it many times before... we can only hope that a similar story happens with webOS.
    I think the key to Jolla's success and appeal is the Android runtime layer. Apps aren't a problem when you potentially can run any of the numerous "high quality" and in-demand Android apps on your platform.

Until FireFox OS' approach takes hold, that is the best a platform can hope for: piggybacking on another platform's app store and wrapping that in your own (hopefully superior) UI/UX.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I've been watching this longer then webOS. I was originally a Nokia fanboy and fell in love with the Nokia N900. This was their original linux based phone released in 2009 and it was pretty ahead of its time power wise. it was more of a computer and was great with multitasking (like webOS). This originally ran Maemo and and as it seemed it was a device just to show their ability and it never became popular. It gained a hardcore community for basically just seeing how hard they could push the device. Then noise died down and everyone thought they were finished with it. Then they teamed up with Intel; Intel at the time was working on Moblin. They then formed worked to form meego and and all was quiet for quiet some time. Then BAM the Nokia N9 was released. this has beautiful hardware and software. It was nokia's first polycarbonate device. Meego was all gesture based as well. Then they ditched development with Intel and Nokia went all in on Windows Phone. Intel took what they had of Meego and built Tizen with samsung. Nokia laid off its meego/linux development team and they went off and formed Jolla and released Sailfish OS based on Meego. The Maemo/Meego/Sailfish community has survived a lot (seemingly better then us) Alot of the community is still alive on the Maemo website started by nokia funny enough. The community that nokia had once ditched has actually outlasted Nokia's Phone business.

I don't know what my point is to your original thought but here are my final Words. I love Maemo, Meego and Sailfish for all there flaws and perfections. I understand that you don't know if you like Sailfish. I fell in love with webOS and then got a BB z10, thought I'd love it but at this time (6 months later) I hate it. I don't know if it is the lack of keyboard or the UI for me. The only real thing I love about it is the camera. I think you were expecting to fall in love with your new webOS like I was but it turns out BB10 and Sailfish can not fill our webOS love void.

if that makes sense

Links worth checking out:
    maemo.org - maemo.org: Home of the Maemo community

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhTtsZATwBQ[/YT]

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSZssHGR-Qg[/YT]

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU8kYwqZKgM[/YT]
    ^ Love this video with Marko Ahtisaari

I would also link the original Nokia N900 and N9 sites but nokia deleted those in the last year.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    i started with Nokia N 9 Meego it's a unique system sadly abandoned by Nokia, i bought a Jolla to see if it was similar to meego but due to Nokia owning the UI, they have had to do their own Sailfish UI and it
    has a learning curve easy if you have used Meego, regular updates are improving it and the ability
    to run Android apps is ok but many do not work, i now stick to native Sailfish apps as only they have active frame functions, further changes to the system are coming after listening to users, the hardware is acceptable as a first phone from Jolla,
    i use my Touchpad and pre 3 daily as i still prefer webOS and it's UI, it's a shame there's no new hardware
    and updated webOS or open webOS.
    i started with Nokia N 9 Meego it's a unique system sadly abandoned by Nokia, i bought a Jolla to see if it was similar to meego but due to Nokia owning the UI, they have had to do their own Sailfish UI and it
    has a learning curve easy if you have used Meego, regular updates are improving it and the ability
    to run Android apps is ok but many do not work, i now stick to native Sailfish apps as only they have active frame functions, further changes to the system are coming after listening to users, the hardware is acceptable as a first phone from Jolla,
    i use my Touchpad and pre 3 daily as i still prefer webOS and it's UI, it's a shame there's no new hardware
    and updated webOS or open webOS.
    WebOS Ports LuneOS is looking better every week :-) It's still far from feature compatibility with legacy webOS but it's getting there :-) You can test it on your TP if you want :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    WebOS Ports LuneOS is looking better every week :-) It's still far from feature compatibility with legacy webOS but it's getting there :-) You can test it on your TP if you want :-)
    I wonder if I could possibly get that booting on my Mozilla Flame? Hrm...
    Unlocked bootloader, Android drivers, front/rear cameras, WiFi, BT, NFC, GSM, microSDHC, 1gb RAM, dual core.

I also got it for $95US (open box) with a 32gb microSDHC card.
    I wonder if I could possibly get that booting on my Mozilla Flame? Hrm...
    Unlocked bootloader, Android drivers, front/rear cameras, WiFi, BT, NFC, GSM, microSDHC, 1gb RAM, dual core.

I also got it for $95US (open box) with a 32gb microSDHC card.
    Theoretically yes, but someone would need to create it :-) You'd need quite some kernel knowledge to get it working I guess. We currently have wifi working and GSM more or less too. No calls as of yet though.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2