Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys !

We all know the story of webOS. It is still beautiful and we will keep it alive as long as we can because we are the most enthusiastic community even if we don't have that large of a community.

Alas, webOS is aging : it's inevitable. I have a Galaxy Note 2 and an iPhone 4 along side my Pixi and I have been using the iPhone as my daily driver for two years now. I miss webOS and I have a Pre 2 and a Veer on their way from Amazon. I plan to activate my Veer and use it as my daily driver.

This will take some sacrifice as webOS lacks the apps of Android and iOS.

So my question is ; does webOS STILL satisfy your guy's needs in a smartphone even without all the apps ? Or do you guys have another iOS or Android device that you use so you don't miss out on any major apps while you enjoy webOS ?

~ hugs from France !
    i find im growing tired of tons and tons of apps on android/apple devices these days anyways so the lack of various apps is more a minor inconvenience than anything (even then its just netflix/tvcatchup id mostly use on android phablets), the essential stuff i still have on my pre3, MusicPlayerRemix and NavIt probably still being my most used apps.

stuff like emails/facebook/twitter etc still work fine anyways so not much else i consider "must have".
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    cujoq37 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePixiLove View Post
    Hi guys !

We all know the story of webOS. It is still beautiful and we will keep it alive as long as we can because we are the most enthusiastic community even if we don't have that large of a community.

Alas, webOS is aging : it's inevitable. I have a Galaxy Note 2 and an iPhone 4 along side my Pixi and I have been using the iPhone as my daily driver for two years now. I miss webOS and I have a Pre 2 and a Veer on their way from Amazon. I plan to activate my Veer and use it as my daily driver.

So my question is ; does webOS STILL satisfy your guy's needs in a smartphone even without all the apps ? Or do you guys have another iOS or Android device that you use so you don't miss out on any major apps while you enjoy webOS ?

~ hugs from France !
    The forum heroes who have made critical patches and shared them here definitely maintained my phone's competency.

I have a 7" android tablet, but its main purpose is typing on forums like these because of the swype feature and larger screen to read. And to play android specific games like the Simpsons or Family Guy. That's all i need android for. But i am someone who differentiates their phone from a tablet. Many do not and prefer a hybrid like these 5" slabs.

But i use my Pre2 daily and only wish for two things:
    - 4G data (which if i really wanted i could switch to using a Veer on ATT)
    - just a maintenance update for bugs identified since 2.2.4 which have never been addressed (bluetooth pairing first comes to mind), or ideally a final "2.3 doctor" for all legacy devices which would be the starting point for any new users.

But my Pre2 does calling, messaging, email, weather, navigation, Free tethering, web browsing, alarm clock, calculator, contacts, calendar, music streaming, a few busy games, and 16g of downloaded music. AND IT FITS COMFORTABLY IN MY POCKET AND HAND. I am so happy with the original size of the Pre2. Call me Goldilocks, but it's "just right".
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 08/10/2014 at 08:06 PM.
    I just hope the translator to accomplish its mission. for me the touchpad pre2 and so far they remain task. with patches that have made large developers here keep us updated with the necessities like whattapp. Although the play is full of torque store my applications is not as important as Sinergy. I dare say you have everything web os. and even better multitasking web os I copied that iphone. hopefully LG will manufacture a web device. Greetings firm mexico.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by joshua764; 08/10/2014 at 08:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePixiLove View Post
    Hi guys !

~ hugs from France !
    The only thing missing from my Sprint Pre- is a GPS app. I couldn't get Navit to work. Other than that, is still satisfies my needs.
    Does webOS still satisfy your needs ?
    No, I need the MojoWhatsup working again...

ONLY this is really missing to me today...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    I replaced my Pre3 by a Galaxy S3 a while ago. The Pre3 is still sitting on the shelf at home. Avtually I was not very happy with the GS 3, it was slow slugghish and the battery didn't last more that 7 hours ...
    Now I got a Nexus 5 and am happy with it. I was never one to download many apps before. But I have a few now, that I use daily and I am a fan of the Google Now page which helps me choose my morning and evening route to and from work every day.
    There are so many nice services you don't have on WebOS (any more) and I find more and more, that I less and less miss the Pre3. WebOS will always have a special place in my memories, and whenever I use functions in Android that are "derived" from WebOS, I smile a bit
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Yeah webos still satisfy needs, but probly I don't have as many needs as most. I have a pre2 and a laptop and that's good enough for me.

I have navigation in both cars and I get by with mobile versions of bank websites and secustore
    Unfortunately not any more so I moved on to wp8. However I would come back and it has certain things that I am missing...
    I have just a TouchPad as I was worried about the quality of the Pre and the slider.

But, from a UI perspective, despite its age, I think the UI is as good as any out there - and I have used iOS, Android and Blackberry 10.

And if LG had given me an option to buy my G3 with either Android or webOS, I probably would have picked webOS!
    I use my touchpad daily
    I'm in IT and with that a copy of Remote Desktop Client 1.0.0, PPTP VPN, and a bluetooth keyboard I can do 95%+ of my day to day job

Until fairly recently I was using a pre2 and up until it tried to swim it suited my day to day for a phone... I had to switch to a galaxy and I honestly don't like it

Now if Buddy1969 is looking to give his pre3 collecting dust on a shelf a new home.. we should talk

John
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Still works for me for the most part. There are a couple things i really miss.

1) a gps, since i have a crippled verizon pre2
    2) a kindle app, though there is plenty of drm free stuff that can be read.

I keep a touch pad with android on it for specific apps. I still find myself sticking to the pre though due to keyboard, and that it fits in my pocket.

come to think of it i do wish there were more games available, but that would probably be better solved by buying a DS or PSP as opposed to a new phone.
    The webOS UI is still my favorite by far, but it seems too far gone to use for extended amounts of time for me. I could do without most apps, but the browser on my TP has become all but useless. It's constantly refreshing before completely loading pages and is just painfully slow.
    Still, fits my needs.
    As long as my EAS&google contact/calendar sync, google maps and mojowhatsup work i'm still rocking my only mobilephone Pre2 (with spare one in the desk).
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Not anymore. While I love webOS, the apps and hardware just don't compare any longer. I still use my touchpad daily, but mainly for checking email or web surfing while watching TV. My Pre3 sits charged and ready, but I only use it to find things that are not on my new Samsung phone.

I'm not one to use or download many apps. The few games I have, podcast players, music players, weather apps are on both Android and webOS. However, my convenience apps for everyday life are not available on webOS - banking, remotely accessing my home alarm, Road ID when cycling, etc.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Sadly no.
    While I miss and lament the demise of webOS, I have moved on to using Android daily.
    For me not having current applications that worked on my pre 2 and touchpads forced me
    to look elsewhere for my needs.

We now have 4 Touchpads in our family running the latest version of Android KitKat (Thanks to the developers at xda developers) and use them daily. We also have Moto X phones that allows us to do almost anything we want without issues or having to find work arounds.
    Pre 2, TouchPad 32
  17. vgg
    Absolutely - I have a pre2 and pre3 which I use together. I have an android tablet and I'm not impressed. The webos ui and multitasking is still the best and I'll hold on patching this and that until webos ports succeed.
    For me, yes, WebOS still satisfies my needs. Absolutely. Still love it too, even the hardware for the most part.

I think that stepping out of the WebOS world (at least until I am forced to) is the deciding factor between me having a pretty cool phone with some extras, and diving off into the life-sucking abyss of technology (which I certainly don't need).

I still feel pretty grounded with my Pre2.
    for my needs, my newly acquired pre 3 works perfectly! if you are not a facebook fan i recommend you to try the veer first, it is an awesome device but has a problem to display the facebook mobile site... the pre 2 does not have that problem (check for other threads). but as continuously repeated, it depends on your needs. my needs? phone, sms texts, calendar, todos, light use of web browser, facebook, mojowhatsup, solitaire, freecell and thats it!
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    I have a Pre2 and a Touchpad.

The Pre2 is still the best combination of features, reliability, and ease of use for me - every now and again I "discover" some feature or setting and marvel at the elegant simplicity of WebOS' implementation. I hope to eventually upgrade to a Pre3 mainly for the better camera and I absolutely LOVE the rubberized Pre QWERTY kb - somehow perfectly matched to my otherwise fat thumbs.

The Touchpad came pre-loaded with CM9 (which I have since upgraded to CM10) and while I initially saw the Android boot option as a novelty it has become the primary OS on the tablet... I can't remember the last time I booted to WebOS on that device. To me, however, the tablet is an entertainment device and the phone is a working machine. It doesn't matter if the tablet is prone to memory leaks or can't keep accurate time (turns out that's a common Android problem - come on, how can you truly rely on a device that can't keep the time as well as a $0.99 throwaway digital watch?).

And a final note to the Pre3 users whose device is sitting unused in a drawer because they've "moved on": I'll pay for the shipping!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast