Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
  1.    #1  
    I joined this forum back in 2007 (when I was still sporting a Treo). Over the years (even in WebOS early days) several posters where claiming WebOS is dead. I remember calling them morons. Fast forward to 2014 and here we sit, still hanging out in WebOSNation. Since then (I'm not going to list all of WebOS' history) we have OpenWebOS and WebOS in TVs (although, I think I read you can't really tell its WebOS). Nothing is happening in OpenWebOS and even if there were you can't use it on Verizon and WebOS in a TV, although nice, doesn't really count in my book.

So, my question. Is WebOS officially dead yet?

I'll start. I think WebOS has been in Hospice for a couple years now and its currently lingering in a coma on life support. Once something is dead, its dead and ain't coming back. They are rare, but on occasion you read those stories about some poor sole being in a coma for 20 years and then all of a sudden awakened. Therefore, with hints (even though they aren't really official hints) of LG releasing a WebOS phone you can't claim WebOS is officially dead.

Sent from my DX4860 using Tapatalk
    jrb363 and hulickr like this.
    I heard that one is not really dead until the last one who members you dies
    geekpeter, Rnp, bevcraw and 4 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    yup, nothing is "dead" until no-one uses it... production is dead, usage is not.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    cgonzalo, purplepansy and dmlis like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    This is exactly what I believe. Not dead yet. Only the future will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I joined this forum back in 2007 (when I was still sporting a Treo). Over the years (even in WebOS early days) several posters where claiming WebOS is dead. I remember calling them morons. Fast forward to 2014 and here we sit, still hanging out in WebOSNation. Since then (I'm not going to list all of WebOS' history) we have OpenWebOS and WebOS in TVs (although, I think I read you can't really tell its WebOS). Nothing is happening in OpenWebOS and even if there were you can't use it on Verizon and WebOS in a TV, although nice, doesn't really count in my book.

So, my question. Is WebOS officially dead yet?

I'll start. I think WebOS has been in Hospice for a couple years now and its currently lingering in a coma on life support. Once something is dead, its dead and ain't coming back. They are rare, but on occasion you read those stories about some poor sole being in a coma for 20 years and then all of a sudden awakened. Therefore, with hints (even though they aren't really official hints) of LG releasing a WebOS phone you can't claim WebOS is officially dead.

Sent from my DX4860 using Tapatalk
    I think that it's still alive, but its just slumbering under the earths surface about to awakened by nearby drilling activity.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    I never understand these threads (and we've seen a lot of them). A platform is never dead if there are enthusiasts still using, enjoying, reporting, and/or working on it.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/15/2014 at 04:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I think that it's still alive, but its just slumbering under the earths surface about to awakened by nearby drilling activity.
    Reign of Fire?
    Rnp and Saijin_Naib like this.
    The TV software necessarily has a different UI paradigm than the old webOS. I'm not sure that there's any reason to say "you can't tell it's webOS" or whatever, because webOS is what's -inside-, even if you associate various UI paradigms to it. It's apps are the web. It's insides are HTML and Javascript and Node and JSON and stuff.

I know, I know, users don't care about that. Users also probably don't care, for the most part, that webOS was something that used to appear on some phones and a tablet back a few years ago, or for that matter, even care that it is running on their TV. They just want their TV to do some awesome stuff.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    I had a dream last night that my Veer cracked and I had to decide between android and apple. Shiver!
    paisley99, tracks914 and Rnp like this.
    You can still buy Veers. Sometimes even sealed ones.
    It depends on what you want from it. now all the cloud services have apps to go with each platform and none of them are going to make apps to webos. Therefore you will never be able to use a webos phone the same way you can a android or iphone. In that sense it is dead.

WebOs can still do all the basic things. it can make calls, email text, use (many) websites, play music, take pictures, get podcasts, keep a calender etc... All those things are based off standards that will not change till long after our phones die physically from wear and tear.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I loved my Verizon Pre2. Still have a brand new one in the box. I switched to a Samsung Galaxy S3. Been using Phem for my Palm programs. I miss most of all the physical keyboard and size of my Pre2 and the functionality of WebOS. But for now I am getting by with my Android. Content, but not fully happy.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    In the words of Miracle Max, "It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive."
    I would say for something to be completely dead, everyone would need to move away completely and never come back. Webos to me is more a Cult Classic, in the vein of Pulp Fiction. A tight knit following of those who have used it extensively, while everyone else clutches to their 7 inch phablet phones.

The future seems to be bigger dumbed down phones with every application requiring in app purchases to function.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjacoder View Post
    I would say for something to be completely dead, everyone would need to move away completely and never come back. Webos to me is more a Cult Classic, in the vein of Pulp Fiction. A tight knit following of those who have used it extensively, while everyone else clutches to their 7 inch phablet phones.

The future seems to be bigger dumbed down phones with every application requiring in app purchases to function.
    Had the Go come out, we'd have been the first to have phablet phones :-)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    geekpeter and paisley99 like this.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I think some of you simply looked at the title and wrote your response. Does anybody bother to READ anymore?
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    Not yet, HP web site and app store still up and running and most things still work,
    When these close then it`s probably officially dead, it`s happening to Nokia Symbian phones
    Microsoft are quickly shutting down support ( internet radio just stopped working)
    How long before HP shut down their web OS support servers ?.
    Well, since LG is working on webOS products, the official answer would be, "No!!".

Since there is still a community, the community answer would be, "No!!".

So, I think it is safe to say... NO!!!!
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  19.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Well, since LG is working on webOS products, the official answer would be, "No!!".

Since there is still a community, the community answer would be, "No!!".

So, I think it is safe to say... NO!!!!

What other "webOS products" have been CONFIRMED they are working on?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast