Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Global Posts
    9,950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    It's not bad but still kinda clunky. A lot of settings and options making it kind of a pain to find stuff. It's not too much like webOS really, the playbook os was more like webOS. I don't think BB10 has a very good flow. The BB Hub is kinda a pain, it is nice in the sense that everything is in one spot but this also causes problem since it will always stay where you left it, so i may be looking at an email in the hub and then leave the hub to go open an app, then when I come back to the hub, it is in the exact same place so if I was not dont with the email I can continue but say I got a text, I have to leave the individual email, then leave the inbox, then leave go to text. Can be cumbersome. I find that it is a chore to deal with all notifications from the hub because it I have all my accounts linked to it. I like to keep notifications clear so I can see if their is anything new, but to keep it clear I have to open every email I get to show I've read it and open every notification. On webOS I could just swipe info I didn't need or care about at the time. But on a positive note, the hardware is solid and the Browser is fantastic.

This is a good representation of how good the browser is HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?
    It comes in 3rd again all browsers after 2 desktop browsers
    If you have the pinch to zoom settings in the hub set to unread messages then when you pinch the hub will only show unread messages. When you pinch out it resets to the normal hub. This is quicker for getting rid of unread notifications than going into each account. In 10.3 the hub will reset after a certain amount of time (15 minutes I think) instead of taking you back to where you left off if you don't go right back in. You can also set accounts not to show up in the hub if you want. Just a few tips that might help. Sorry if this is taking things too far off topic. I would try a new web os phone if one came out.
    I guess I finally qualify to comment on this thread having moved over from my Pre3 to a Nexus 5 a couple of weeks ago.

My answer is a cautious 'yes'. Cautious because my main reason for giving up on the Pre3 is lack of widespread support. I can't access my work email on it (no 'Good'), I can't remote into my work PC (no 'Citrix') and in the last few weeks the battery started playing up so that it went from lasting 12-16 hours without charge to lasting 3-4 hours. The case is now badly dinged up (cracked back, cracked rim) so it doesn't feel like it is going to survive much longer.

I would go back to WebOS if someone came out with a modern device and got the developers of major apps to support it. In fact I would be delighted to do so but I am getting more and more used to Android and finding things that fill all the gaps without too much trouble. Currently the things I am missing most are the physical keyboard and smooth multitasking (4.4.3 is pretty good at this but still nowhere near the WebOS level).
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I'd wait in line for the release and buy it outright (assuming it was GSM/LTE device.)
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I'd come back in a heartbeat. I don't even need that many apps, just so long as the web browser was good enough for me to use Pandora and Spotify. I still have my NIB Veer and my Touchpad which is used daily. It's getting a bit slow compared to the newer tech but unfortunately I hate Android tablets and Apple is such a walled garden I hate to step inside.
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    Will you ever come back to WebOS, that seems to be the manor center point of this discussion in this post and one that seems to be bit too complicated to answer because of the many false promises not only from HP but also from Palm. One of the major problems that LG will have fix whenever or years from now, decides to release future mobile devices(phones or tablets) power by the Palm's operation system "WebOS" will be gaining developers trust and support, creating online courses for smaller aspiring developers(for those that does not has the knowledge to code or need help coding apps), software updates and hardware support as well.

Some of you might look at my post a bit confused as to what I mean when it comes to hardware support or my writing of false promises in WebOS. Let me take a few seconds to write in details of what I mean, and what LG needs to do to bring a better offering not only to future consumers but also to WebOS fans.

Software and hardware support: LG need to take a page from Apple's handbook, when it comes to OS software updates they just don't go to the carriers for approval because that step is skipped by using iTunes. Carriers are the downfall of progress and innovation, how many times smartphones are stuck with older software because of carriers being slow to approve updates or release them to the public. LG needs to deliver software updates just like Palm released meta doctors for WebOS software, so people can download into their smartphones.

Hardware support is important too, how come HP failed to deliver hot only WebOS 2.1 to palm pre plus is just beyond my comprehension the hardware had the capability to handle the update but somehow they didn't care. LG needs to be smart and support hardware that are years old just like Apple supported the iPhone 4/4S for iOS 7 update.

Developer support: Developers trust and their support are important to the ecosystem, I don't need for another major developer release application (because LG paid then 2 million dollars) and then simply abandon them it because they feel that WebOS sales aren't good enough. LG need to built trust on app developers, Apple done it for years and years slowly building support for developers and developers trust Apple. Also Pivot magazine it needs to be brought back, it could give developer big or small to get notice which equals sales/money to app developers.

Built website that helps young minded developers create application, Palm did great job with YouTube videos discussing development for WebOS, but LG needs to do further that just built pretty sites, companies like jolla and others are creating online courses for beginners that wants to create apps but don't even know on how to built them or start.

Now Hardware: Not only LG needs to create mobile phones with the latest specs but they need to continue with the ideas of Palm innovation as well. I don't want another boring 6 inch slab phone that require my hands to do acrobatics to use it, simple screen like 4.5 or 4.7 is enough size to view or browse content. They heed to bring gesture illuminated touch area back into the smartphone, wireless charging and touchstones, camera pixels as good as Nokia phones with optical zoom lens mixed with Samsung’s suite of camera software. Also continue on generation of Palm Pre design for those who might still want physical keyboard.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    I would. And then everybody in the family, as it used to be. But the paid app catalog should be open to world.

k.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I'm a big size fan myself. However, I've always felt the Pre 2 was the perfect size. Never understand the dudes that carried around a small TV as a cell phone. lol
    The days of the postage stamp sized phone are long gone. You have to realized these devices aren't just phones anymore, they are multi-media devices and tiny screens just won't cut it. I currently have the Samsung Ativ S Neo which isn't even big and yet it makes my Pre look like a toy. I wonder how I managed to even use it and there's no way I'd ever go back. Ideally the perfect device is a 10" tablet, you don't need to put it up to your head just add a bluetooth and bam!
    I think most people who are still on this website. I actually use 2 phones, an LG g2 and a Pre 2. Combine them together and I would be thrilled!
    Last edited by casiouser; 06/13/2014 at 08:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Preluva View Post
    The days of the postage stamp sized phone are long gone. You have to realized these devices aren't just phones anymore, they are multi-media devices and tiny screens just won't cut it. I currently have the Samsung Ativ S Neo which isn't even big and yet it makes my Pre look like a toy. I wonder how I managed to even use it and there's no way I'd ever go back. Ideally the perfect device is a 10" tablet, you don't need to put it up to your head just add a bluetooth and bam!
    The problem is they need some new category and stop calling everything that can make calls phones. Its like insisting on calling trucks and SUVs cars and go around ridiculing people who still drives cars.

I always chuckle when I see people with huge phones how they have to hold it in their hand
    Last edited by laingman; 06/13/2014 at 07:40 AM.
    ananimus likes this.
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    I think most people who are still on this website. I actually use 2 phones, an LG g2 and a Pre 2. Connie them together and I would be thrilled!

Maybe, but I'm not using two. I only come here in hopes of seeing positive WebOS news. The last news I saw that got me all excited was LG's TV announcement.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    in an absolute heartbeat no question. get me off android please.

and i don't care if it had 1/100th of the apps. 60% of the apps i have on my phone now are just to make my phone function at any reasonable navigation and ergonomic efficiency.

Last edited by paisley99; 06/17/2014 at 12:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    In a hot minute. Best mobile OS ever. And I loved the form factor of the phone.

I remember when people used to complain about all of the Pre and WebOS's shortcomings. Now that I've been using android and a Galaxy S3 for a year and a half, I find that it has just as many shortcomings. There is no perfect smartphone. But WebOS was the most intuitive mobile OS I've ever used.
    Saijin_Naib and Grabber5.0 like this.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I would seriously consider it, and probably consider an LG TV as well if they worked together. I have to believe that LG ultimately plans to create a webOS phone/tablet line that interacts with their TVs. I also can't imagine they wouldn't be able to get devs to release versions of their apps for a webOS catalog. To me, it seems like only a matter of time, and if the UI and Synergy systems are still intact, I think many would consider the switch.
    I would definitely reconsider it.

I am happy with my Nexus 5 now. If you would have asked me half a year ago, when I had masses of troubles with my GS3, I would have answered "instantly" ...

The prerequisites for coming back to webOS would be: good hardware and a good enough Apps-infrastructure. The latter means: filled appcatalog, homebrew of some sort (like preware), SDKs that are easy to use and/or use standard app-development tools.

My Nexus5 is from LG and if there would be a dualboot option for WebOS for this phone, I would definitely install that.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    my question is. There is actually a project to build a tablet lg phones with web os?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by nawadley View Post
    I would seriously consider it, and probably consider an LG TV as well if they worked together. I have to believe that LG ultimately plans to create a webOS phone/tablet line that interacts with their TVs. I also can't imagine they wouldn't be able to get devs to release versions of their apps for a webOS catalog. To me, it seems like only a matter of time, and if the UI and Synergy systems are still intact, I think many would consider the switch.
    That would be a ridiculously difficult proposition to have those systems intact in their old form. With all the much newer software powering webOS these days (node 0.10+, modern webkit, qt 5.2+, hundreds? of other packages with major upgrades since classic webOS 2.x, and 2+ years of development time spent on the internals of webOS [you have noticed that there's still plenty of development going on in really important like luna-service, db8, and others, right? :-) ] ) .. it'd be ridiculous to try to salvage any piece of the old node.jsjsjs $services$ .. $and$ $even$ $webos$-$ports$ $has$ $gone$ $and$ $re$-$done$ $the$ $UI$ $for$ $LuneOS$.

Well, OK, maybe the absolute most basic parts of Synergy might be salvageable, but the vast majority of all that stuff is in dire need of being re-built. I don't know if you're a programmer type, but if you were, and you'd ever tried to debug the old synergy services (which I've done a little bit of, it took two people several days of tracing through dozens of things to find clues to how to interact with it) you'd be like... "throw that out, and start over from scratch" :-)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Yes, I would come back if it's gonna be the webOS that I came to love running on said phone. Sure, it may incorporate some modern stuff but I mean UI wise. If it's gonna be a big UI change that destroys the webOS I came to love, then I'm not coming back at all.

I really miss it. My Jolla phone with SailfishOS is amazing and I'm a big fan and supporter, but still every day I'm thinking back of webOS. I miss webOS. The touchscreen keyboard is good on SailfishOS, but it's by far not as good as the HP Pre 3 hardware keyboard. I still have my HP Pre 3 as a backup smartphone but nothing more that since I can't use it anymore w/ T-Mobile over here (stupid frequency channels) which is why I had to switch to Jolla phone in the first place.

Please, webOS, please come back. Esp. with a hardware keyboard on your phone. LG Pre 4. If the UI is gonna work the same as I came to love it and there's a hardware keyboard, then I'll be the first one to pre-order the phone.
    I will be the first to buy the next WebOS phone. I just love this O/S. Iphone & Andriod are nothing like this beautiful O/S. Please WebOS come back, Please Palm come back.
    Was browsing through recent commits on the LG OWO GitHub and what did I see?

:Testing Performed:
    Locally built vmdk and nexus5 image. Will test official build when it is available.

:QA Notes:
    With these changes the emulator should now boot up, and be accessible
    from novacom and ssh. nexus5 should boot as before.

:Issues Addressed:
    [CTO-421] emulator could not boot on webos-pro build
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    ananimus likes this.
    Only moved away from AT&T Pre3 (last week) due to a couple of odd resets, which changed some of my apps when the reset occurred - not sure why. Camera lens fell out about a year ago, so only fuzzy pictures now. Google sync issue was a hassle...(fixed with post found here), but partly because being on AT&T with unlimited data = no voice mail. Also, I could save $35/month going back to our family plan on Sprint (where I had my original Pre). Still use the TouchPad daily, though.

So, a bunch of smaller issues pushed me to set aside the Pre3 for now. I had an off-contract Verizon iPhone5 from work, but even though technically possible, Sprint will NOT add it to their ESN database, so am selling that, and picked up another iPhone5 for Sprint...for NOW. I really dislike iOS, and Android seems even less intuitive. Just to be different, I picked a Nokia Lumia Icon, for my work phone. The upcoming 8.1 release of Windows Phone should fix some of the issues, but at least it is different! Phone hardware, camera, screen, etc. is very nice. Built in wireless charging is a BIG plus. Still hate typing on a screen, though....

So, to finally answer the OP's question: Yes...I would absolutely be an early adopter on a new webOS phone.

Will LG do it? I recall efforts to make porting iOS apps to webOS in the past...perhaps if made easy, they could build support. Hopeful!

Matt
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast