Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    I would in a heart beat. I am currently using a BlackBerry Z10 and I kinda have problems. I'm on Straight talk and my bb was super hard to set up apn settings. I had to do an update leak roll back then enter the settings and update it to get internet to work. I never even got mms to work and then 3 months later a update cleared all my apn settings so i had to do another roll back. I also recently tried using the hotspot app built in and said I couldn't based on carrier stuff, never had that problem with my Pre3. Finally, BB hub is a chore, I spend too much time trying to manage my accounts. After 6 months of BB10, I'm done. Thinking of trying Jolla phone (no us dealer yet) or Ubuntu Touch for a while to keep me sane till a webOS phone comes out. Please come out. I did a crazy angry rant on twitter at HP last night, I think this is getting to me lol.

P.s. I still find myself swipping up to close apps
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Mattmers, how is BBOS? I know they were... cough.. "inspired" by webOS UI/UX, but I don't know if they actually implemented the ideas well or not. I was really tempted by the Q5 since it has a great feature set (front/rear cameras, flash, video, NFC, BT, WiFi, GPS, QWERTY, touch, dual-core, ****load of RAM! [2gb!], microSDHC expansion, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    Mattmers, how is BBOS? I know they were... cough.. "inspired" by webOS UI/UX, but I don't know if they actually implemented the ideas well or not. I was really tempted by the Q5 since it has a great feature set (front/rear cameras, flash, video, NFC, BT, WiFi, GPS, QWERTY, touch, dual-core, ****load of RAM! [2gb!], microSDHC expansion, etc)
    It's not bad but still kinda clunky. A lot of settings and options making it kind of a pain to find stuff. It's not too much like webOS really, the playbook os was more like webOS. I don't think BB10 has a very good flow. The BB Hub is kinda a pain, it is nice in the sense that everything is in one spot but this also causes problem since it will always stay where you left it, so i may be looking at an email in the hub and then leave the hub to go open an app, then when I come back to the hub, it is in the exact same place so if I was not dont with the email I can continue but say I got a text, I have to leave the individual email, then leave the inbox, then leave go to text. Can be cumbersome. I find that it is a chore to deal with all notifications from the hub because it I have all my accounts linked to it. I like to keep notifications clear so I can see if their is anything new, but to keep it clear I have to open every email I get to show I've read it and open every notification. On webOS I could just swipe info I didn't need or care about at the time. But on a positive note, the hardware is solid and the Browser is fantastic.

This is a good representation of how good the browser is HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?
    It comes in 3rd again all browsers after 2 desktop browsers
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Currently on a samsung s3. Had to move to it, as the pre 3 was slowing down, smaller screen size and lack of updated apps - such as whatsapp, facebook, dropbox, and of course other important apps - banking, stocks etc.

if If were to release a new WebOS phone, I would consider it strong IF it comes with key social media apps. I can still use it as the main phone and keep the s3 as a secondary phone.
    I moved to Windows Phone 8 (using a Lumia 920) and it's currently doing everything I want (I was never an apps guy in the first place). Here's a strange one - I'd come back if they released a new tablet. Seriously, the Touchpad was my first tablet and I still find it the most convenient in terms of UI (the plugging holes in the sinking ship that is the API support isn't fun however).
    I currently use a Galaxy Nexus. I'd switch to a new webOS phone immediately if new HW came out. I probably wouldn't even think about it. Where is it? Here's my money!
    I would go back, in a second, with no second thoughts. I've been using Galaxy S3 when everything WebOS was shot to hell then just upgraded to Galaxy S5.

WebOS did everything so wonderfully. I really miss how the OS worked. Reading all these comments has made me sad. I miss my Pre. I also feel just as strongly about the form factor. I loved how the keyboard would slide open/closed.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I would love a new webOS phone, IF the app infrastructure could be redeveloped. I need relevant, updated apps.
    How would you all feel about webOS UI/UX with the FirefoxOS WebAPI model which SHOULD ensure no API creep and being left behind?

I think that could be a workable model. Why stop there? Integrate the PhoenixACL package on open webOS and we have three app runtimes to use!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I use an LG G2. It works quite well, though WebOS's intuitive and logical operation doesn't exist in Android. If there's a way to get WebOS back WITH something like Android somehow, I would absolutely go for it at almost any price.

My inactive Pre-2 still sits on a charger using in WI-FI only, allowing me to reminisce once in a while. I also still use my TouchPad. It's all so LOGICAL. Even after getting used to other OS's, nothing else compares to WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3snakes View Post
    I use an LG G2. It works quite well, though WebOS's intuitive and logical operation doesn't exist in Android. If there's a way to get WebOS back WITH something like Android somehow, I would absolutely go for it at almost any price.

My inactive Pre-2 still sits on a charger using in WI-FI only, allowing me to reminisce once in a while. I also still use my TouchPad. It's all so LOGICAL. Even after getting used to other OS's, nothing else compares to WebOS.
    I know the feeling. I gave my dad a firesale HP Touchpad and he got into the groove with it instantly. Fast forward a year and he gets an Android 4.x device for work. He regularly calls me asking me how to do stuff on it. He never once had an issue on the Touchpad.

I bought myself an Android 4.2.2 device and I felt like the Nazis that watched the Ark of the Covenant being opened in Indiana Jones when I got to use the... wonderful... AOSP UI/UX.

Hey, can't be worse than an OS that is centered around one button at least. Right?
    Sorry, not a chance. Moved on. There is literally nothing any manufacturer could do that would make me take a chance on webOS again.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    How would you all feel about webOS UI/UX with the FirefoxOS WebAPI model which SHOULD ensure no API creep and being left behind?

I think that could be a workable model. Why stop there? Integrate the PhoenixACL package on open webOS and we have three app runtimes to use!
    If no other alternative for "vanilla" webOS, I'd give it a try. Can something like this by done yet (even partially at this time)?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by evacaf View Post
    If no other alternative for "vanilla" webOS, I'd give it a try. Can something like this by done yet (even partially at this time)?

Thanks.
    To my understanding, it seems very possible. There are of course FirefoxOS APIs we'd have to emulate or wrap in webOS, but for the most part, "packaged"/local FirefoxOS apps are just pure HTML5 apps in a zip with a manifest, much like webOS apps.

Remote FirefoxOS apps are simply websites that employ the WebAPI calls that FirefoxOS uses. If we managed to get open webOS up to speed with supporting the webAPI calls, we'd likely be able to take advantage of both packaged and remote FirefoxOS apps.

As for PhoenixACL, it already runs on the Touchpad, so it should be possible for that team to work with the open webOS team to mature the Android Compatibility Layer into a component that can be use alongside open webOS.
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Ok, I went out and purchased a Galaxy S5 Active in order to be allowed to respond to this thread.

I would come back to webOS if a manufacturer keep current with hardware and if the app catalog was similar to Android.

IMHO, one of the best aspects of webOS is this community. If you have a question, there are (were) hundreds of webOS users willing and able to help out.
    To my understanding, it seems very possible. There are of course FirefoxOS APIs we'd have to emulate or wrap in webOS, but for the most part, "packaged"/local FirefoxOS apps are just pure HTML5 apps in a zip with a manifest, much like webOS apps.

Remote FirefoxOS apps are simply websites that employ the WebAPI calls that FirefoxOS uses. If we managed to get open webOS up to speed with supporting the webAPI calls, we'd likely be able to take advantage of both packaged and remote FirefoxOS apps.

As for PhoenixACL, it already runs on the Touchpad, so it should be possible for that team to work with the open webOS team to mature the Android Compatibility Layer into a component that can be use alongside open webOS.
    While this all sounds great...

I'm hopeful for the webOS-Ports project - in fact, I'm probably pinning my hopes on it. But they are yet to reach the Alpha 3 release. This is not a complaint - all the work is being done by volunteers.

It may be the alpha leads quickly to beta and there are some here who can code & patch who will hopefully begin to contribute new functionality to the core release. The project may then be taken up by other hackers (xdadevs?) for porting to a wider range of hardware. That's the positive view.

The negative view is that the latest iterations of the main commercial options are being developed full-time by large teams and are now starting to catch up with many of the prized features of webOS. That leaves the app gap. It was hoped that Enyo would address this - enabling a 'write once, deploy everywhere' model also came with the option to build for webOS, but there have been complaints that some devs are using it, then building only for their preferred systems (or just the two main ones), ignoring webOS. I'm not clear how popular Enyo is with app developers. Given the nature of FirefoxOS I'd imagine that porting apps should be 'easy' as you say.

Options for running Android apps exist, but someone will need to code it. ACL seems to require tweaking at the hardware level - that is per device - for good performance. I imagine it could port to OwOS, but will OM think it worth the effort when they are now working for Tizen? AndroidChroot may be a better bet on faster hardware (& more memory).

The Port project will bring webOS to modern hardware. I hope as well as being the 'best' system, it will also be a system controlled by it's users. I hope something will arrive to interest the wider development community before it becomes effectively irrelevant.

The dream of course is for 'cross-platform' to work well enough that platform is a matter of taste rather than required by app availability, but the corporations naturally want walled gardens for maintaining market share. If Tizen pays off for Samsung & the webOS TVs continue to do well, then LG may try a phone, but I wouldn't bet on that - Android is still the safest bet for LG as Google is putting work their way. I just hope LG might be helpful in enabling Ports to their devices - supporting an unofficial project may supply a 'lifeboat' if the Android situation changes.

Imagine a usable ('daily driver') Port arrives. You have the latest Nexus or silver thing. It comes with Android and the app market out of the box. You can install the port quite easily, but with very few apps... How many will do it?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/09/2014 at 03:01 PM.
    If a new webOS phone was released with LTE and other "modern" hardware keeping the webOS interface I know from my Pre3/TouchPad Go (and hopefully improving on it as well as fixing things that have broken and adding in new features) I would buy it without hesitation.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I am rocking a Z30. My previous phone was a pre3 with AT&T. Both OSs are very similar. To me BB10 is the best alternative to WebOS. As for returning to WebOs if made available from LG in a quad core, 1080p all touch form? YES!!!
    or rather continue using ...
    as currently proudly use my palm and my pre3 webos touchpad ...
    LongLife for WebOS !!!
    cbosdell likes this.
    I would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast