Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By mcbeaven
  • 1 Post By mcbeaven
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    I am currently working on skinning the current version of LunaCE running on the Touchpad ( 3.05 ) to look and act like Mochi, but I need some help. I am spending as much time as I can on this project, but I do not have a lot of time to devote to this. I recently received an HP Touchpad, and this is the first time I have started to dig into the system files. Currently, I am working on replacing the stock images. There are a lot of images to replace, so this is my first task. I still need to modify a lot of code. If anyone would like to help or has experience with the LunaCE code I would really appreciate the help, and this would move the project along much faster. If you know the locations of specific files that need to be modified or any information please post it here or PM me. ( Anything you can think of, for example, the location of the file in which the menu bar font color is located ). I am going to start to make a running list of files that need to be modified and that have been modified here to make it easier for people to keep up to date and contribute.
    Preemptive, denom, Rnp and 4 others like this.
  2.    #2  
    I'm still working, an update is coming soon. Going to post a running list of what has been done, and what needs to be done. Just have been too busy to post anything.

moto tacstar => kyocera k9 => samsung a460 => samsung n400 => nokia 3588i => samsung a920 => samsung a800 => samsung a940 => lg fusic => samsung instinct => pixi => pre => arrive => nexus s => veer => pre 2 =>pre 3 => hd7 => iphone 4s => nokia lumia 710 => nokia lumia 800 => samsung gs3 => blackberry bold 9650 => nokia lumia 900
    geekpeter likes this.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Keep up the great work!
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    I know the open-sourcing was of an incomplete project, but are the graphical assets not already available? Mochi is primarily a visual redesign as I understand it. Or are you simply referring to the process of adding those graphics to LunaCE? The Eel Mochi project is now hosted maintained by webOS-ports here: https://github.com/enyojs/mochi (at low priority). If new assets need to be created, there is a standards guide here. Any new work would then be usable for a future mochi theme UI for LuneOS.

I expect you are familiar with most of the above. I look forward to seeing your progress report. Would you like me to add this project to the Status Report?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/01/2014 at 07:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I know the open-sourcing was of an incomplete project, but are the graphical assets not already available? Mochi is primarily a visual redesign as I understand it. Or are you simply referring to the process of adding those graphics to LunaCE? The Eel Mochi project is now hosted by webOS-ports.org (at low priority). If new assets need to be created, there is a standards guide here. Any new work would then be usable for a mochi theme for LuneOS.

I expect you are familiar with most of the above. I look forward to seeing your progress report. Would you like me to add this project to the Status Report?
    I think you have a few things mixed up here...

Mochi is an Enyo UI library similar to Onyx. It can be used for Enyo 2 applications. WebOS Ports does the maintenance for the repo hosted at EnyoJS GitHub for it.

WebOS Ports currently DOESN'T use Mochi for UI (we have more important things to focus on for now), but people are welcome to contribute where needed We currently don't support themes yet (also more important things to worry about for the moment )
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Rnp and gizmo21 like this.
    By low-priority, I didn't mean to imply that mochi was being used, merely that it was maintained as a future option. And yes, 'theme' is probably too small a word! ;-) Thanks for the clarification of it's location.

Where I may be mixed up is: To recreate the look, the OP must be aware of the look... Which is probably by looking at graphics in the repository, which are therefore available to be used! ;-) I was under the impression that although incomplete, a lot of work had been done on mochi at HP. Are the graphics merely 'samples' rather than usable assets? If so, then yes, the OP has a LOT of work to do!

It's unlikely, but I wanted to check the OP wasn't starting from scratch and suggest that any additional work required conform to the 'future-proofing' hi-res standard of webOS-Ports to save more work later.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/01/2014 at 07:32 AM.
    By low-priority, I didn't mean to imply that mochi was being used, merely that it was maintained as a future option. And yes, 'theme' is probably too small a word! ;-) Thanks for the clarification of it's location.

Where I may be mixed up is: To recreate the look, the OP must be aware of the look... Which is probably by looking at graphics in the repository, which are therefore available to be used! ;-) I was under the impression that although incomplete, a lot of work had been done on mochi at HP. Are the graphics merely 'samples' rather than usable assets? If so, then yes, the OP has a LOT of work to do!

It's unlikely, but I wanted to check the OP wasn't starting from scratch and suggest that any additional work required conform to the 'future-proofing' hi-res standard of webOS-Ports to save more work later.
    Maybe we should start a group collective to help OP along. Perhaps reach out through PivotCE to former HP developers that haven't dedicated their efforts towards webOS Ports. Maybe they've even worked on it!
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Maybe we should start a group collective to help OP along. Perhaps reach out through PivotCE to former HP developers that haven't dedicated their efforts towards webOS Ports. Maybe they've even worked on it!
    It's not for me to tell anyone what to do, but this isn't a port of Open webOS. It's a mochi skin for LunaCE. I suggested the OP might want to keep future-proofing in mind and perhaps that's the plan anyway. As there are clearly limited human resources for the port project, I suggest that long-term future goal makes more sense than add-ons the the existing, but out-dated technology. I understand the attraction of repainting the house or keeping a classic car on the road, but sooner or later it's time to build a new one. Moreover, if there is a LuneOS port to the Touchpad, that's a great transitional stage to retain the interest of webOS enthusiasts (I assume that's the intention). Maybe jumping straight into developing Mochi for LuneOS would bring greater long-term rewards, but the port team themselves don't see Eel/Mochi as a priority.

So, I'd like to see the majority of effort (aside from important fixes), be offered to the porting team. Lacking the necessary skills myself, I help out on pivotCE for promotion and information. We are all waiting for LuneOS or for LG to make a webOS phone. We have no power over LG, but we can apply effort to the Port. As for former developers or even new ones, I suspect part of LuneOS's problem is that it isn't ready as a functional basic system, nevermind daily driver. Once there is a late Alpha or beta release that can surf the net and make a call, I suspect people will play with it, notice bugs or be tempted to add features/patches and the contributor numbers will increase. The heavy lifting to get it to that stage must be the difficult bit. Perhaps a recruitment campaign would work, I don't know. WebOS-Ports are certainly asking for help.

But again, what anyone does with their own free time is their own choice and a LunaCE skin maybe a nice thing to have - especially if some of the work can be passed onto LuneOS. Good luck to anyone who's doing anything for webOS!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/02/2014 at 06:33 AM.
    its likely a colossal effort either way its done, until i read Preemptive's posts i wasnt sure either if this would be a simple/extensive theme or if it required significant extras to get it running.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    its likely a colossal effort either way its done, until i read Preemptive's posts i wasnt sure either if this would be a simple/extensive theme or if it required significant extras to get it running.
    My posts? They'll all filled entirely with speculation! ;-) I know nothing!
    My posts? They'll all filled entirely with speculation! ;-) I know nothing!
    yup, the exact same speculation i was thinking of just didnt post till you pretty much said everything i was going too, only you were more indepth.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Any news about Mochi?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daniel from Kranichfeld, Thüringen, Germay, Old Europe